I love this time of year! The excitement, the decorations, the Christmas cookies, the shopping, the holiday movies and songs - all the sights and sounds of the season. It is truly a magical time of year . . . but also very bittersweet as we miss Jacob more than ever during the holidays. It is a balancing act each day as our hearts continue to be filled with so much love yet so much heartache at the same time. It is an emotional roller coaster as we learn to mourn with JOY and grieve with HOPE - laughing one minute and crying the next. But God is good and we continue to live by His grace and strength and with peace in our hearts knowing that Jacob is HOME and celebrating the season in the presence of Jesus. And we thank God everyday for our 4 children on earth who bring so much happiness into our life!
I can't thank you all enough for wanting to help with Jacob's Stocking Project. It means so much to us and it is such a special way for us to remember Jacob during the holidays. It brings us such joy to see his stocking overflowing on Christmas morning . . . and we appreciate it more than words can ever express.
The boys are doing well and are already excited about the holidays . . . I'm not sure how they are going to make it till the 21st when they are out of school - it's going to be a long 3 weeks for them! But I love that they get so excited - it makes it all the more fun for me.
Allie continues to light up our days . . . this child is an absolute JOY. Sometimes I look at her and am just in awe . . . so thankful that she is my daughter. Donnie and I were talking the other night how glad we were that we adopted . . . we are so blessed to be Allie's parents and I can't imagine my life without her!
My blogger friend, Angel, did another awesome video of all the children who were adopted . . . so touching to see all these children and know that they are home with their forever families. How blessed we all are by these precious gifts! And how I wish I had the money to bring even more children home! :) My husband always jokes and says that he hopes we never win the lottery because I wouldn't want a new car or house . . . I would just want to adopt 10 more kids! ;) Please click here to see the video.
I saw the following on a church sign the other day . . .
Keep Christ in Christmas.
And it really made me think about how our family can do more to keep CHRIST in Christmas. I don't want my children to lose sight of what Christmas is truly all about . . . I don't want Christmas to just mean Santa and presents! I am so thankful for the gift of Jesus . . . for the sacrifices he made for all of us - and I want to focus on the reason for the season. I want my kids to truly understand the spirit of Christmas . . . to want to give more than receive . . . to have a thankful heart . . . to believe in the magic but to also celebrate the birth of Christ. We have several traditions each year that remind us of the true meaning of Christmas. We visit a living nativity called Walk Through Bethlehem, we adopt a child each year and have the boys help us buy presents for them and we always make sure we read the story of Jesus on Christmas Eve. But I want to do more . . .
How does your family keep CHRIST in Christmas?? What are some traditions at your house to celebrate the birth of Jesus and not just focus on Santa? I would love to hear your ideas so please feel free to share your family traditions in the comment section.
We had a fun weekend! We went to the Winter Wonderland at the Zoo with family and friends. We had such a crew that night with 11 kids - 9 of which were boys! Yes, we were loud and the kids a bit crazy, but we all had so much fun together.
Keep Christ in Christmas.
And it really made me think about how our family can do more to keep CHRIST in Christmas. I don't want my children to lose sight of what Christmas is truly all about . . . I don't want Christmas to just mean Santa and presents! I am so thankful for the gift of Jesus . . . for the sacrifices he made for all of us - and I want to focus on the reason for the season. I want my kids to truly understand the spirit of Christmas . . . to want to give more than receive . . . to have a thankful heart . . . to believe in the magic but to also celebrate the birth of Christ. We have several traditions each year that remind us of the true meaning of Christmas. We visit a living nativity called Walk Through Bethlehem, we adopt a child each year and have the boys help us buy presents for them and we always make sure we read the story of Jesus on Christmas Eve. But I want to do more . . .
How does your family keep CHRIST in Christmas?? What are some traditions at your house to celebrate the birth of Jesus and not just focus on Santa? I would love to hear your ideas so please feel free to share your family traditions in the comment section.
We had a fun weekend! We went to the Winter Wonderland at the Zoo with family and friends. We had such a crew that night with 11 kids - 9 of which were boys! Yes, we were loud and the kids a bit crazy, but we all had so much fun together.
And then Saturday night Donnie and I went to the Christmas party for his work. Can you believe we've had 2 nights out together in the past month?? That may be a record for us! :)
Ending with one of my all-time favorite scriptures . . .
"And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."
Ephesians 3:18-19
Isn't it a great feeling to know that we are loved so much?



21 comments:
Heather, We also attend the Walk through Bethlehem. My oldest daughter says it wouldn't be Christmas if our family didn't go. My kids are fortunate to do this activity at the private school they attend, but you could do this at home. They have a Happy Birthday Jesus! Party. Complete with paper goods that say Happy Birthday Jesus ( I believe you can get that through the Oriental Trading Co.), balloons and of course a cake with candles. I am sure you could expand on that idea, you are so creative! Merry Christmas to you all!
Peace, Love and Happiness in 2008!
Maureen Cadle
Heather,
When I read your Keep Christ in Christmas... I did a little laugh because I passed a sign that said the same thing this morning!! (Was that a sign?) Anyway, We read about the first Christmas in books & I tell my kids that we have Christmas to celebrate Jesus' bday!!! I talk to them about what he did for us.
I like you love this time of year & now it's even better that the ground is white (about an inch or so)!! Odd thing was I was putting up Christmas lights in the house & the song "Let It Snow" came on (whenever I hear that song I look out the window) & it was snowing very lightly!!! Yay!!! We have been watching the Christmas classic shows on TV & I read mine a Christmas book each nite!!!
We will be doing our Christmas cookies soon & then all the family Christmas stuff will start!!! Throw in a couple bdays & you're ready!!!
Here's to a GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON!!!
FROGgin & Believ~in a Cure (Jake Owen Follower as well)
SS
This is the first time im posting, but i have been following your blog for awhile now!
Each Christmas my family has a birthday cake for Jesus at my grandma's house (where we always go on Christmas Eve). I think it's a fun way to celebrate the birth of Jesus and adding a modern day twist to it! I see Maureen's family does that as well!
Your family is beautiful and I LOVE seeing the new photos - as well as the older ones with Angel Jacob in them :-)
Love,
Michele
Brookline, MA
RedQT4Life@msn.com
Heather, your family is so beautiful! I can identify with the bittersweetness as well. The two year anniversary of my brother's death is this Saturday. I miss him every day! Like you, we have our little girl with us for Christmas this year so that empty place at the table is filled. She will never replace him but I believe that he helped God pick just the right child for our family. The adoption finalizes on December 19. What a gift!
We also do a lot to keep Christ in Christmas. We adopted two foster children for Christmas this year. We originally asked for one but our adoption coordinator asked if we could take two. We also have a birthday party for Jesus on Christmas day. The kids help bake a cake and we sing happy birthday. The boys have made ornaments for Jesus that we place on the tree, in the past. I'm going to ask the children for suggestions this year. I'm hoping that we can start some new traditions to include Ashley.
I read your blog often. I love to see your pictures. I don't comment often though so if you don't hear from me before, I pray that your family will have a very Merry Christmas filled with the love of Jesus!
Christmas eve is a huge birthday party for jesus at our house. We sing Happy Birthday, my girls bake a cake, whole 9 yards. Been a tradition since I was a child. It's nice read others do the same.
Wishing you a blessed holiday season.
Merry CHRISTmas.
Being a teacher, I guess that is why we read a lot of Christmas books that have the special meaning of Jesus' birth and how He loves us so much. The 3 Trees is one of my favorites....many of the Max Lucado books I also share each year. We never tire of them. I have several good ones, so if you ever want to know the exact titles or authors, just let me know.
I loved the pictures of all the kids. And, the picture of you and Donnie was wonderful. You are so beautiful, Heather and Donnie is a handsome guy, so ya'll make such a great looking couple, which makes for a beautiful family. But, what makes you even more beautiful and more special is what is on the inside. I always enjoy coming to your blog and reading about your family and inspirational messages. Thank you so much for sharing a part of your lives and adding so much to mine.
Love,
Kelly May
That sounds like so much fun!
Now, I need to know for my baseball guy...where did you get the shirt?
Have a great one!
Wonderful ! Perfect ideas to get everyone to think about putting Christ back into Christmas because many people seem to have forgotten what Christmas really is all about.
Is that Allie afraid of anything ?! There she is on that horse like she rides a merry-go-round every day, alone ! She lays me out. I love the two Patricia's and you and Donnie look as though you are going to the prom, 18 years old !
The boys, I can tell, are just so excited !
Have a great rest of the week . . .
Love,
Sandy
Atlanta
Heather, thanks for bringing this big smile to my face. I so look forward to your posting pictures of the kids and of you and Donnie (great picture - great couple).
Hope that you received the gift cards which we sent for Jacob's stocking.
Sending love and hugs,
Liz Unger
Arnold, Md.
Our family always bakes a cake and sings Happy Birthday to Jesus. We also have a tradition of three gifts from mom and dad and three gifts from Santa. It represents the three gifts that the wise men brought to Jesus. I read that idea in a Christian magazine and we LOVED the idea!!! Of course, Santa's gifts are the BIG ones!!!!
My favorite Christmas tradition is "The 12 Days of Christmas". We pick a different family/person each year to anonymously give to. We find out via friends of theirs what they like/need. We take the 12 days before Christmas and go to their house and leave a gift and run. The goal is to remain anonymous (like the real St. Nick did). I try to tie in what the symbols in the song stand for with the gift whenever I can. It's the best part of Christmas for me. I still get a rush when it's my turn to take something to the door with one of my kids. Your kids would love it, I know.
JD in NC
A family I know, bakes a cake every christmas eve for Jesus's birthday as well as,(something I will employ one day with my children) On christmas morning the children only get 3 gifts each because Jesus only got 3 gifts on christmas. The kids have grown up hearing the story of Jesus on Christmas, and think they are very blessed to have the exact amount of gifts that Jesus did.
I think one of the greatest traditions I've heard is each child only recieving 3 gifts on Christmas, because Jesus only recieved 3. I dont have children yet, but I plan on using this when I do. Thanks for the pictures! They boys have grown so much!
hey heather and family!
hope all is well!
i was wondering where i could purchace a copy of jacob's book?
love and prayers to you all!
Merry Christmas!
Emily.
Heather, I am not sure if you are familiar with this blogger, but I think you would enjoy her website. Her daughter passed away this year (cancer) and she has arranged through a very generous company throughout the holiday season if you purchase an elf, 30%of the proceeds goes to finding a cure for childhood cancer. The elves are absolutely precious and so fun. I am sure you would want to share this information. I love following your family and you are such an inspiration to me. Thanks and have a wonderful CHRISTmas! Her website is www.midgetsandmoonpies.blogspot.comLaura Wilson
Heather,
I'm thinking the way to do more is to do LESS-less of the outward stuff-less decorations-less gifts-less "stuff". It's so much easier for all of us (especially children) to believe in what we can see than what we can't. Have a blessed Christmas!
Hi Heather! We have recently moved the gift-giving to our kids to sometime between the 26th and New Year's day. That leaves Christmas Day completely free to celebrate Jesus. We've also looked for some service projects we can do on Christmas day, but haven't had much luck yet. Maybe we will visit a VA hospital this year. The kids took it very well when we changed because the first year we spread out the gifts and didn't give them on the same day, which they said was fun and made Christmas last longer. I also like the idea of the 3 gifts that I read in the other comments here.
Love when you post photos! I think you're going to have to get Allie a horse one day; she sure looks natural on that carousel.
Wishing you and yours a blessed Christmas, Lisa D., Sunland CA
I have thought about this every christmas....I want Christ in our hearts instead of Santa as well. Last year, when my daughter was excited about what Santa brought her, I made her recap all the things Jesus has brought her. Like love, family, shelter, friends, etc. It made her realize that Jesus brings something to her daily, every moment and santa only brings her things once a year. It's actually an awakening for me as well.....
I wish I had your courage and strength. I wish I had your energy and brightness. You are awesome! I have been struggling lately trying to find the good things to think of instead of the negative. It is a challenge. I look to you with awe! I could only wish to be the person you are. You are an inspiration! Thank you for that!
God Bless
Krissy
We also bake a cake and we always make it a "Red Velvet Cake" to represent that Jesus shed his blood for us.
I was amazed at all the people who bake a cake for Jesus and sing Happy Birthday to Him!!! I have never known anyone in real life who has that tradition. Every year my mother still calls me and asks me if I baked a cake for Jesus. To me that is so cool knowing there are so many people out there singing Happy Birthday to Jesus on CHRISTmas! And I LOVE the 3 gifts from Santa- 3 gifts from mom & dad!! :)
One of our family traditions is each year my mom orders a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake. WE usually have to laugh though because amongst the writing and poinsettias there is usually a plastic Santa and sleigh. Some people just don't get it!!!
Post a Comment