Thursday, March 13, 2008

Busy, Busy Week!

Hello friends,

Well, it has been one busy week! Yep, it's one of those weeks where there is so much going on I barely have time to sleep & shower! :) We've had company all week . . . plus several doctor appts. for the kids, a grooming appt. for the dog, a hair appt. for me and the Fashion Show fundraiser for PCF. Not good planning on my part to have so much going on in one week - with company in the house!

Donnie's aunts and cousins from Georgia were here and we had such a great time visiting with them. We took them to the Strawberry Festival. I just love a small town fair . . . especially one that celebrates strawberry season! We look forward to going every year mainly so we can get this . . .


The best Strawberry Shortcake ever!

Yes, this is the one time of year we indulge in lots of fair food!
Kyle . . . getting ready to dig into his strawberry shortcake.

Allie having her first taste of a funnel cake.

And Brandon enjoying some cotton candy.
Of course the boys had way too much fun.
Devin coming down the slide.

And the boys walking across the bridge of the fun house.
And it was a good excuse for Allie to wear her Strawberry Hat!

The Fashion Show was a huge success - raising over $280,000 for pediatric cancer research. WOW! It is such an amazing show and words just can't describe what a truly touching event it is. You can't help but to cry when you watch those girls walk down the runway . . . some are so weak and sick from treatments - yet they are so determined to walk on their own and they do it with a huge smile on their face. Just amazing! The Fashion show was dedicated to 2 girls who were in the show last year - but have since passed away . . . Camille & Taylor. A reminder of how devastating childhood cancer can be. If you would like to see pictures from this year's event, please
CLICK HERE.

It was mentioned at the Fashion Show that after doing some research it was discovered that more money was raised in the state of Florida last year SAVING MANATEES than was raised worldwide for PEDIATRIC CANCER RESEARCH. How sad is that? I love manatees, but our priority should be saving our children! 14,000 new children will be diagnosed with cancer and 3,000 children will die this year - yet the government and the drug companies don't want to help. Thank goodness for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation for fighting for the trials, the drugs and the cure that these children desperately need. And because of the money raised from the Fashion Show, 25 children will be able to start a new trial in the hope of finding a CURE! Simply an amazing night . . . wish you all could have been there! :)

Allie went for her one year check-up and is doing great! She is 22 lbs. and 28 inches tall and is doing fantastic developmentally! The doctor was most impressed with all that Allie can do at this age - and well, I am, too! :)
Of course one of her favorite things right now is wearing her brothers' glasses. She has a nice pink pair of sunglasses - but those won't do. She only wants her brothers' - and these are 3-D!

Life won't be slowing down anytime soon . . . opening ceremonies for baseball are this weekend and we are getting more company on Tuesday - Donnie's parents are coming for the week and we are looking forward to spending time with them . . . and maybe getting the time to take a long, hot shower and a nap while they are here! :)

At the Fashion Show, several of us cancer moms were talking about how unfair it is that these innocent, precious children have to fight so hard to live. That night I read a devotional that just happened to be about life being unfair. It amazes me everyday how God speaks to us when we need it most. Ending with a scripture and that short devotional . . .
"Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 25:5

"It's not fair," we say. It's not fair that I was born in poverty or that I sing so poorly or that I run so slowly. But the scales of life were forever tipped on the side of fairness when God planted a tree in the Garden of Eden. All complaints were silenced when Adam and his descendants were given free will, the freedom to make whatever eternal choice we desire. Any injustice in this life is offset by the honor of choosing our destiny in the next."
Max Lucado
Putting my HOPE in Him,

14 comments:

Carmen said...

Heather,
I love the pictures. Allie looks so sweet in her strawberry hat.The strawberry shortcake looks good too.
I don't understand the goverment, our children should come first. They waste so much money on weird things, I guess it's not for me to understand.
I worked with the sweetest christian woman and I told her one day that I would love to have enough money just once. I wanted to not have to worry about how I would pay my bills and just be able to shop when I wanted to. To have a nice home, not a trailer, lol. She said your healthly and your kids are healthy and you may not have everything you want, but you have enough. That all those things may not be in God's plan for me.I did have enough, I wasn't homeless or hungry. I didn't have everything and I still don't, but I just try to be happy with what God has given me.
Carmen

Allison said...

I just love Allies Strawberry hat - how fitting for the occasion. I just love the festivals we have around here in Georgia as well. So many good foods to try. Have fun with all the business you will miss it when its gone.

Allison (Allie)

Amy said...

The Fasion Show was amazing and quite humbling. It was a night for the girls and about all of our children fighting everyday. It was about dreams coming true for so many. I just feel so blessed to be a part of something so awesome! It was great seeing you there too.

Tonya said...

Heather, what SWEET pictures of your babes... and those strawberries looked SO YUMMY! It's nice to hear that you guys were able to get out and enjoy some springtime FUN!

Now, about cancer research... those statistics are just HORRIBLE! It's so sad that there is so little "press" for children with cancer. It really riles the fighting Mama in me and makes me want to do something! The last time I did anything along those lines was when I went to a small town festival and set up a booth. I barely raised $100. I realize that because I wasn't there in the name of St. Jude or some other name that people recognized, it might have affected the outcome. It's still disheartening to know that it's just not a priority to many people unless they PERSONALLY KNOW and LOVE a child with cancer.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for doing all that you do to raise awareness.

Love,
Tonya

Mom Of 3 said...

I am glad the fundraiser went well. I agree it is so unfair. i will keep praying that we find a cure soon!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand, Heather. Why? Why is more money raised for the manatees than pediatric cancer research? I just don't understand this. It makes me so sad and I don't know what to do or how to help.

Jodee said...

It looks like you had a blast at the Straweberry Festival. Love the strawberry hat too!

So happy to hear the fundraiser was such a success!

Enjoy your company!

Young Creations said...

Heather,
The pictures tell 10000000 words. You ar so blessed. I love the strawberry hat. I was driving by a strawberry farm the other day. I think I will go there tomorrow. It is time for some good old strawberries.

Thank you so much for sharing.
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm still here praying!
Psalms 59:16-17 But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble. Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy.

Susan said...

Good Morning Heather!

First off, so I don't forget, (yes, I do that OFTEN these days...) I love the quote by Max Lucado. Gosh, is he talented or what? A master at words. I just used something he wrote on my blog.

OK, that is AMAZING, all the money you guys have rasied, and to think how much MORE could of been, OK, I won't go there, we need to be saving our CHILDREN not the MANATEES!!!

Loved the pictures, and now I'm CRAVING strawberries, thanks...

Heck, I could indulge in a funnel cake too!

Hope you have a great weekend, and finally get some REST when your in-laws come next week. Please sweet Jesus!

Love you♥

Lakeville Vertical said...

"Any injustice in this life is offset by the honor of choosing our destiny in the next."
That is the most hope filled statement I have read! Thank you for sharing your heart and your wonderful family. You continue to amaze me with all that you do and I know that when you stand before God he will tell you "well done."
Blessings to you!

Sarah said...

I am horriified as well that so little money is put into research for pediatric cancer... I need to e-mail you with something I am involved in that may eventually provide some hope (still in adult trials).

LOVE the strawberry festival... looks so yummy! We have a couple months before Strawberries are in season here! I think I will take Miss Bug strawberry picking this year!

Love seeing the sunshine and smiles on your kids faces!

Love and FROG!

Ashton and John's mom said...

Your post leaves me craving for strawberries! Unfortunately here in Iowa, it will be awhile before we get to enjoy them!

Anonymous said...

WOW those stats are horrible! :( I'm so happy the fashion show raised so much money and those sweet beauties were able to walk the catwalk! :) Your spring photos in this post are absolutely stunning! Your children are so beautiful and your photos are amazing.