Monday, March 31, 2008

The Soapbox

Hello friends,

Another "cancer mom" sent me the following video from You Tube this weekend. This video caught me completely off-guard with its sweetness and was a reminder of all the support and encouragement we received while Jacob was sick. It also shows the touching relationship siblings have and how cancer affects them, too.

Please take a minute to watch it before reading the rest of the update.


















This video reminded me so much of the time Brandon shaved his head shortly after Jacob lost his hair from the chemo. No one encouraged him to do this - this was something he wanted to do all by himself - for Jacob. He was only 4 years old at the time and tears come to my eyes every time I see this picture. It is truly a picture of brotherly love.


Brandon & Jacob
July 2004


Of course Brandon wasn't the only one who shaved his head in honor of Jacob. Daddy & Uncle Steve did, too. In some small way it made Jacob feel as if he weren't so different and it made Daddy & Uncle Steve feel as if they were doing something to help him feel better.



Cancer affects the entire family and changes your life forever. We were reminded again this weekend how many people have been touched by cancer when we attended the Relay For Life. It seems as though every family has lost a parent, sibling, spouse, grandparent, cousin, friend or child to cancer. We are all connected in this fight to give HOPE and find a CURE! Relay is always a fun, but emotional night.

The kids ready to go . . .
wearing their "Jacob" shirts!

Our family walking in memory of Jacob!

Baby Girl was having fun with Daddy!

Wearing her shirt with Jacob's picture on the back.

Brandon sitting next to Jacob's bag during the luminary service.

Being silly!
The Crew
I don't know who made this bag for Jacob but it truly touched our hearts to see it!




As we walked our laps around the track I thought of Jacob and how I hope that one day a cure will be found so that no other child will ever have to fight cancer. And I thought of so many of our friends who are still battling . . . friends who need prayers and hope sent their way. Please join me in praying for the following children who live in our area:


Sierra - who just found out she relapsed

Emily - who is still in PICU

Sydney - who has been battling cancer for over 4 years.

Mandy - who was newly diagnosed in February.

Jessica - who was the honorary child survivor at Relay for Life.

Matthew
- who is home on hospice.





"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow."
O. S. Marden



I'm joining Tonya on her "Soapbox" today in trying to raise awareness for childhood cancer. The statistics are absolutely horrific and we have to work together to find a cure!! I've posted this many times before - but it is so important to see it again!


DID YOU KNOW?

* In the U.S. almost 3000 children die from cancer each year.

* Cancer is the number one disease killer of children.

* In the past 20 years only one new cancer drug has been approved for pediatric use.

* Only 3 percent of the budget from the National Cancer Institute goes towards Pediatric Cancer Research.

* September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness month, which nationally goes largely unrecognized.

*The government recently cut the budget for Childhood Cancer Research.

*14,000 children will be diagnosed this year with cancer.

*Currently there is between 30-40,000 children being treated for cancer in the US.

*As a nation, we spend $14 BILLION per year on the space program, but only $35 MILLION on childhood cancer research per year.


Feel free to join the Soapbox with us. If you have a story to share about Childhood Cancer - then please post it on your blog, Caringbridge or other website. Share about your child or why you are passionate or something you have learned or done to help. Share a prayer or statistics - whatever you want to help raise awareness. Then leave me a comment - either here or at Jacob's Caringbridge Site - sometime this week and I will post your link. (If you don't have a website - then just post a comment.) Let's all spread some awareness today and stand hand-in-hand on our soapbox together. Let's do it for the children!


On The Soapbox!
(Raising awareness . . . one blog at a time!)

Tonya

Molly's Video

Carmen

Susan


*********************


Just had to share another dress Nancy made for Allie. I had asked her to make a FROG dress and I just LOVE it.

And I had to get a pic of my guys who looked so handsome on the way to church yesterday.


This picture just cracks me up!
Allie is chilling out at Grandmom's house - watching Elmo!




And just had to end the post with the laughter that truly brightens our day.
She is a ray of sunshine in our lives.


Ending with a scripture that is so very comforting to me . . . one that I pray for all who are facing hardships!

"I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13

Overflowing with confident hope,

23 comments:

Leeann said...

Heather,

What a gorgeous dress!

Nancy is very talented!

Leeann

Ashley said...

I thought it was "funny" that you posted about baldies today...look what we did this weekend... http://ashleysinsanity.blogspot.com/

Tonya said...

Heather, THANKS SO MUCH for posting with me on those terrible cancer statistics. It's truly unbelievable isn't it? I know I was mortified when I saw on your blog that more money had been raised to save manatees (in FL last year) than had been raised in the entire US for childhood cancer. There HAS to be more we can do. I love and admire you for leading the way!

On a happier note... I LOVE the pictures you've posted on your babies. The boys are SO HANDSOME (I LOVE those with bald heads too) and of course your little Allie is just breathtaking. Those pictures of her laughing just CRACK me UP! What a DOLL!

LOVE YOU!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Heather~
Yes, I will be praying for the children you've listed who are currently struggling with cancer. It seems that today, cancer touches EVERYONE one of us....in one form or another. My Dad, is battling, CLL...and thankfully, at this times...he's doing well.

I ALSO love to see the pictures you post of your beautiful family!! What blessings they are to your heart.

Enjoy your week.

Kim~

Jennifer said...

Heather,

I LOVE that you linked my post! You don't ever have to ask if that is okay - it always is!

I have to know what cracks Allie up like that! She is just too cute and growing so quickly! If I lived close by, I'd have to come over just to pinch those thighs!

Have a great day!
Love,
Jennifer

Lauren said...

Your children are absolutely precious!!!

I remember how one child, one little blue eyed boy touched my heart. His face is one I cannot shake from my mind. Everytime I hear of story of a child being diagnosed with cancer, Jacob Duckworth immediately comes to mind. He has changed my outlook and perspective on things. Now I want to make a difference and get the word out that a cure must be found. For me he was the face of childhood cancer for a long time but now he represents the face of an angel.

Allie's dress is beautiful and the boys are so so handsome. Where did you get their shirts and shorts?

Sue said...

Heather
What a touching post. The video brought tears to my eyes and then to see what your family did for Jacob. . . .the love so deep rooted. Last year was the first year my family participated in the Relay For Life here in Walla Walla. Two years after my dad died from cancer and it was one of the most memorable moments of my life. I remember my family just sitting touching and looking at his luminary that was lit and burning and not wanting to leave it. Somehow it just brought him back to us for even a short time. Relay for Life is Awesome. I will keep all those children in my prayers. Those pictures of the boys and Allie are so cute. Although they don't take Jacob's place they give you a reason to laugh and smile and I am sure Jacob is happy about that.

Carmen said...

Heather,
I love the pictures of Allie. Her dress is just beautiful. You are so lucky to have someone as talented as Nancy to make such beautiful clothes. I joined your soapbox. I can't believe how little is done to fight childhood cancer. So much money is put into silly things and our children get so little help. It's really sad. I love the t-shirts that you wore in memory of Jacob. Our walk is in the middle of May. We have to wait that long for warm weather and pray that it is warm enough for our walk.
Carmen

Faithful Froggers said...

Lauren,

Thanks so much for the sweet comment and for wanting to make a difference!

The boys' shorts came from Target and the shirts came from Bealls.

carriewithslah said...

Hi Heather! Thanks so much for posting this wonderful post! You keep inspiring me with your words of wisdom and your pictures are great! Hey, if you get a second, can you email me at carriewithslah@yahoo.com...I have a question for you about how I can use my business to do a fundraiser for childhood cancer. Thanks! And thanks for visiting my blog as well--I appreciate it!

Cheers,
Carrie

Becca said...

Heather,

I saw that video a few weeks ago and thought about sending it to you but didn't know how you would feel about it. I cry every time I watch it. You are such a teacher to us all. Thank you.

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

Jodee said...

Heather -- My husband's sister died from breast cancer (at age 44) just a couple of years ago. Our entire family walks in the Relay for Life every year in her memory.

Loved the sweet pictures of your family at the Relay. Allie's FROG dress is adorable too!

Bobbi said...

I just knew I should have grabbed a tissue. That video was just too much. Then, the picture of Jacob and his brother, oh I lost it!!

The statistics on childhood cancer were just breathtaking. So much more has to be done.

As always, Allie is a ray of sunshine. I love her laughing face.

Zhohn said...

Thanks for stopping by and signing. The boys sure are handsome! Allie is just as beautiful as ever. Love the FROG dress and her cute little Jacob shirt.
Looking at the bag made for Jacob brings me to tears. The little frog, and HERO. You have know idea how Jacob has touched me and changed me. Almost four years ago I had not really heard of any children with cancer. As soon as Jacob's page loaded and I saw that bald head with those gorgeous blue eyes, I was hooked! Jacob's strength, your family's faith and your writing drew me to his site EVERYDAY. There were many times that I was scared to scroll down and read your entry, but Jacob was a fighter and pulled through so many times. Then on the 12th day of June, our Father called him home, he had fought the fight, he had fulfilled his purpose. How AMAZING that he fulfilled his purpose in six short years? Jacob will always have a special place in my heart and so will your family. You all are amazing!
I can't thank you enough for sharing him with us and for continuing to share your family.
FROGing, because of one special little blue eyed angel
Zhohn

Anonymous said...

Good thing you ended with cute pics of Allie because that video had me crying! Cancer is a monster!
What amazing words! Know that I'm praying!
Psalms 139:17-18 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Susan said...

Wow, this was GREAT, and yes, I'm jumping on that Soapbox too!

I loved the video, I remember the first time I saw it, I cried and cried... (wish they would do those adverstisements HERE in the US!!)

LOVED the pictures, what great looking gang in red!

Heather, Jacob would or IS proud of his family and all you do in this battle for a cure. (I've read people in heaven may just be aware of all that is going on down here!)

Anyhow, thanks so much!

OH, who made Allie's precious FROG dress? Someone is VERY talented, and this girl keeps making fashion statements!

Love you,

Susan

Susan said...

Hi Heather,

It's me again! I posted my Soapbox tonight, include us in!

Blessings♥

Mom Of 3 said...

Heather,
As i watched the video with tears in my eyes. I was so touched. Makes G's issues seem so insignifigant, in comparison. I have said it before and I will say it again, you are an inspiration. I followed Jacob for a long time, I cryed with you, laughed with you. I still do. Thank you for sharing. Because of children like Jacob, I proudly serve on the LTN comittee this year and serve as a team leader for FOH. I truly pray that we find a cure soon!
I love the pictures of your family, they are beautiful! Thank you again for sharing. Through Jacobs journey and now your blog, I feel like I know you and you are a friend. Even if only in blogger world.

snekcip said...

I cant wait to view the video when I get home (the "puter") here at work doesnt let me access it!

Nancy never fails to amaze me!! That dress is just TOO PRECIOUS! Allie is simply GORGEOUS in it, that baby girl always has a "ready smile"!!!

I remember dressing my boys in the plaid short and the pullover polo shirts! My oh my, where did those days go!!!! Those boys are so doggone HANDSOME!

won said...

The video reminds me of the Christmas story "The Gift of the Magi." In the story, set in a long ago time, the wife sells her long, beautiful hair to buy a chain for her beloved husband's pocketwatch. Little did she know, he sold his pocketwatch to buy her beautiful barettes for her long hair.

Very touching...

Angel Olivia's Mom, Wendy
www.caringbridge.org/mi/oliviasgrace

Anonymous said...

I love the FROG dress by Nancy and Allie tickled never fails to crack me up either ! I did take note though in her attire with her brothers, ready for the cancer walk, she looked dead serious for a change, as though she knew she was going on a mission . . .
What a ray of sunshine the Ducks are to all of us every day.
Can't wait till Friday !

Love,
Sandy
Atlanta

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

Not sure if you remember me or not, but I've been a follower of your family for many years - since Jacob's battle and your CB journal (I'm a close friend of Kylie Monica and family in NJ.) Your post struck a chord with me and made me tear up so quickly! Thank you for the video...I work on the planning committee for Relay For Life at my college (Loyola in Maryland), and I'll be passing it along to my fellow committee members. In fact, we are the number one fundraising per capita youth RFL in the country for two years running. This year, we're past the $150,000 mark and still going strong!

To this day, I always think of Jacob when I think of why I Relay. In fact, this year we did an entire childhood cancer day on campus where we posted many of the statistics and tried to increase awareness of this awful disease. Anyway, thanks so much for continuing to do all you do in the fight against cancer and for keeping all of the "Duckworth fans" updated. Love to you all!

Love, Hilary

Unknown said...

OK, you made me cry!! The video kicked it off and they just kept coming. I miss Jacob so much!
My third grade class has taken on childhood cancer as their service project. I read them 2 books--"Alex and the Lemonade Stand" and "The Lemonade Club". Of course they know all about Jacob with the room full of frogs and Jacob's picture on my desk. They also released yellow balloons for Julian Avery. They are collecting change for Cure Childhood Cancer (I volunteer with them in honor of Jacob--almost two years now) and will provide items for the AFLAC Cancer center at CHOA-Scottish Rite. We are hoping to hold another Jeans Friday for the staff, where they donate $5 to wear jeans to work. All money going to fight pediatric cancer! I have written my congressman and encouraged others to do so. Cancer is nothing less than a murderer that takes the lives of those we love and affects the whole family, and in some cases strangers who become family. God Bless you all!! Fighting cancer forever, for Jacob and his warrior buddies!