I can't help but to look in this sweet face each day and feel so much
LOVE.
I can't help but to thank God everyday for the
miracle of adoption.
Our adoption journey was a relatively smooth process with very few bumps in the road . . . yet it was a constant lesson in patience and trusting God's timing as we waited to bring Allie home. And although I longed for Allie to be home in my arms, our wait was filled with hope, grace and lots of prayer.
I will never forget the moment Allie was placed in my arms forever.
I once read that is the true miracle of adoption . . .
how we are not a family by blood,
And adopting Allie has helped me understand a little more deeply how God loves us -
for we are all adopted children of God.
"God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son."
Ephesians 1:5-6
Adoption has been such a blessing in our life.
We are so thankful for this miracle . . .
this gift of love and life to our family.
"We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time and miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands."
~Anonymous~Many people have asked us about our adoption experience . . . and well, I can never fully express how adoption has affected our lives in such a positive, wonderful way. Allie could not be more perfect for our family and we could not be more in love with our baby girl. She has brought so much joy and laughter into our home and I feel so incredibly blessed to have her as my daughter.
I understand that adoption is not for everyone . . . and I know that adopting is not an easy process. Adoption is a leap of faith . . . it is trusting God in the darkness . . . it is praying for your child who is thousands of miles away from you . . . it is aching to hold your baby . . . it is hoping that your child will come home . . . it is believing that truly LOVE will conquer all . . . it is Fully-Relying-On-God! Is it worth it?
ABSOLUTELY!
And I would do it again in a heartbeat!
"Only those people who are led by God's Spirit are his children. God's Spirit doesn't make us slaves who are afraid of him. Instead, we become his children and call him our Father. God's Spirit makes us sure that we are his children. His Spirit lets us know that together with Christ we will be given what God has promised. We will also share in the glory of Christ, because we have suffered with him."
Romans 8:14-17
Yes, everyday I look at this beautiful little girl -
with arms reaching out to me,
and my heart just melts and
overflows with LOVE.
And it is just an amazing feeling to think that God looks down on us and
loves us more than we can imagine
when we reach out to Him.
Adoption is such a beautiful thing!
It brought Allie into our family . . .
and it brings all of us together as brothers and sisters in Christ!
And makes us children of God for all of eternity!
"And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering.
We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us."
Romans 8:23




33 comments:
This is truly the post I needed today. We have just started our adoption journey and I know it will be a long road, but I look forward to holding the new child that God has planned for our family. Becky
What an absolutely beautiful post!
Allie is just adorable and looks like she was a perfect fit for your family! I, too, would adopt in a minute! You are soooo blessed with your sweet baby girl!
Heather,
Your family's story has blessed my heart in so many ways. I have been reading your blog since Jacob's CaringBridge site back in May of 2006. I thought you might be interested in reading how his life has touched and changed mine. I just posted yesterday on Dangerous Surrender - the book that Angel is reading as a book club on her blog. Reading your post today again was a blessing - because you talk about adoption being a leap of faith - exactly the way I described it to my husband last night! So, I just wanted to say hi and thank you for your precious heart and how it touches mine.
If you would like to check out my blog it is at jesusfilledhope.blogspot.com
Take care and God bless you!
Heather,
I just love looking at your blog to see what new pictures you will be sharing of your family. It is wonderful God placed her in your life.
I couldn't help but think about how blessed Allie is to have you all for her family. God's plan for her to be with you is amazing.
I am SO happy she has brought your family so much joy. She truly is adorable! I would love to see her in person and just give her a tight hug.
Thank you for your positive posts. You are a blessing to me!
Love,
Valerie
Heather - Your latest post was truly beautiful and heart warming! For all the heartache and tears your family has gone through. in the end Family is what keeps you grounded ... Beautiful Allie is an amazing gift from God - as are all your boys ... I am truly inspired by you and your family ... in the face of grief you find the brighter sides to what God has given (and sometimes) taken away ... thank you SO much for sharing your story! May God continue to hold you close as you travel this journey ...
God Bless!
Rebekah and Jaden
I have adopted three and it has been a great experience for our family as well!!
Some one sent this to me the other day! I could not but help to think of your Jacob
She jumped up as soon as she saw the surgeon come out of the operating room. She said: 'How is my little boy? Is he going to be all right? When can I see him?'
The surgeon said, 'I'm sorry. We did all we could, but your boy didn't make it.'
Sally said, 'Why do little children get cancer? Doesn't God care any more? Where were you, God, when my son needed you?'
The surgeon asked, 'Would you like some time alone with your son? One of the nurses will be out in a few minutes, before he's transported to the university.'
Sally asked the nurse to stay with her while she said good bye to son. She ran her fingers lovingly through his thick red curly hair. 'Would you like a lock of his hair?' the nurse asked. Sally nodded yes. The nurse cut a lock of the boy's hair, put it in a plastic bag and handed it to Sally .
The mother said, 'It was Jimmy 's idea to donate his body to the University for Study. He said it might help somebody else. 'I said no at first, but Jimmy said, 'Mom, I won't be using it after I die. Maybe it will help some other little boy spend one more day with his Mom.' She went on, 'My Jimmy had a heart of gold. Always thinking of someone else. Always wanting to help others if he could.'
Sally walked out of Children's Mercy Hospital for the last time, after spending most of the last six months there. She put the bag with Jimmy 's belongings on the seat beside her in the car.
The drive home was difficult. It was even harder to enter the empty house.. She carried Jimmy 's belongings, and the plastic bag with the lock of his hair to her son's room.
She started placing the model cars and other personal things back in his room exactly where he had always kept them. She lay down acro ss his bed and, hugging his pillow, cried herself to sleep.
It was around midnight when Sally awoke. Lying beside her on the bed was a folded letter. The letter said :
'Dear Mom,
I know you're going to miss me; but don't think that I will ever forget you, or stop loving you, just 'cause I'm not around to say 'I Love You' . I will always love you, Mom, even more with each day. Someday we will see each other again. Until then, if you want to adopt a little boy s o you won't be so lonely, that's okay with me. He can have my room and old stuff to play with. But, if you decide to get a girl instead, she probably wouldn't like the same things us boys do. You'll have to buy her dolls and stuff girls like, you know.
Don't be sad thinking about me. This really is a neat place. Grandma and Grandpa met me as soon as I got here and showed me around some, but it will take a long time to see everything. The angels are so cool. I love to watch them fly. And, you know what? Jesus doesn't look like any of his pictures. Yet, when I saw Him, I knew it was Him. Jesus himself took me to see GOD! And guess what, Mom? I got to sit on God's knee and talk to Him, like I was somebody important. That's when I told Him that I wanted to write you a letter, to tell you good bye and everything. But I already knew that wasn't allowed. Well, you know what Mom? God handed me some paper and His own personal pen to write you this letter I think Gabriel is the name of t h e angel who is going to drop this letter off to you. God sai d f or me to give you the answer to one of the questions you asked Him ¡where was He when I needed him?' 'God said He was in the same place with me, as when His son Jesus was on the cross.. He was right there, as He always is with all His children.
Oh, by the way, Mom, no one else can see what I've written except you. To everyone else this is just a blank piece of paper. Isn't that cool? I have to give God His pen back now He needs it to write some more names in the Book of Life. Tonight I get to sit at the table with Jesus for supper. I'm sure the food will be great.
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I don't hurt anymore the cancer is all gone... I'm glad because I couldn't stand that pain anymore and God couldn't stand to see me hurt so much, either. That's when He sent The Angel of Mercy to come get me. The Angel said I was a Special Delivery! How about that?
Signed with Love from God, Jesus & amp; ; Me.
she's so adorable....i'm looking for maybe adopting kids when i do grow older...
Beautiful post, Beautiful message, Beautiful family!!!! God is a good God....all the time!!!
Heather, what a blessing to read your story of how GOD led you to your beautiful daughter. I LOVED how you shared that we are "adopted" as GOD'S own children through faith in Christ. I can't imagine any greater love than the love we feel for our children - and yet we KNOW that GOD LOVES US SO MUCH MORE!! Still, it's a blessing to get a glimpse of how GOD loves us!
Your heart is precious.. it's always a blessing to visit you here.
LOVE YOU!
Heather
What a beautifully written piece. It is absolutely wonderful how wonderful Allie fit right in to being a "Duckworth." You couldn't be luckier and neither coud Allie. God knew what he was doing when he put Allie in your arms forever :)
Heather,
Your post has touched me so deeply. I think that Allie has blessed your family and that she is blessed to be a part of such a loving home. She is beautiful and so happy. You can see in all her pictures how happy she is. I never realized people went overseas and adopted children. I know that probably sounds strange to you, but I live in a very rural area. I don't know anyone who has adopted children. I know a few foster parents. When I hear adoption, I think Angelina Jolie, lol. So it has really amazed me to follow your journey and read other adoption stories. I think it's great. Have a good week.
Your Friend Carmen
Heather! I also have a miracle Mayan Princess!
And I am doing a Terrific Tuesday Giveaway so head on over - Allie could score some sweet new loot!!
Take care & God bless!
-Tricia
Heather,
Beautiful summary of adoption. Adoption touched our family as well. I don't blog about it for privacy reasons, but isn't God awesome?!?!?! We're all adopted into His family when we accept His son, Jesus!! YAHOOOO!!
For all of you out there who are going through the adoption process right now... it's like a roller coaster ride of emotions that WILL end with a baby in your arms. God knew YOUR baby before it was formed in the womb! Take heart, it will happen. Heather, thanks for such a sweet post today :O)
Allie is beautiful! I told you before I adore your blog! You always put it all down so perfect!
Thank you for this post. Your blog is beautiful! Thank you for being faithful to God's command: "Encourage one another, and build each other up."
God's Blessings on your family!
Darlene
Hello Heather,
Yes, I would love so much to be able to adopt as well. I have known Sarah for a while. Upon reading her story of being a single mom with teenage children, I started the adoption process. I was going to adopt from Guatamala as well. However, due to the economy and the Hague, I have put my adoption on hold. Not forever, I hope. I do know that whatever happens, it is meant to be. I have wonderful children and I know we would be able to love another child so very much. I am just heartbroken. However, I enjoy seeing Allie smile and face as I read about her. I want you to know that you affect my life when I see her growing up so happily. Thank you for sharing that with me. Someday, I may have my own, and I promise to share with you also.
Lauren
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST.I HAVE ADOPTED TWO BOY'S FROM GUATEMALA AND I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY. IT IS THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE OF OUR LIVES. I WOULD NOT CHANGE A THING. MY BOY'S FIT SO PERFECT IN OUR FAMILY.
Heather,
THAT is the MOST beautiful thing I've seen in a LONG time...what a Mother's Day tribute there...I have tears running down my face....HE PROVIDES EXACTLY what we NEED, knowing all along HOW MUCH we NEED it....what a beautiful gift you have given her and she, you....
simply said...what a MIRACLE...
peace and ABUNDANT blessings!
lori
What a great post. Thank you for sharing. Allie is so beautiful!
I feel that all of my family has grown so much from our adoption experience. Ours too was relatively simple and quick. But, yet it was never easy. I know that emptiness you speak of.
How lucky we are that their birth mothers chose life for them. They were strong enough to give them a life that they would not be able to give them. I don't think I have ever respected someone I have never met more in my life than I do his birth mom.
Allie has brought sunshine into all of our lives, thanks to you. She is a beauty.
Your daughter is simply stunning! As is the love shared by your family!
Love,
Natalie
www.caringbridge.org/visit/mandywillis
Heather, beautiful post...as usual. I of course just sat there and nodded and cried. We have two of our own adoption blessings, and it is a joy that is so difficult to put into words. I don't know how many people tell me that they have thought about adopting or wish they could...I just smile and nod, knowing in my heart what a true joy they don't know they are missing. (Though I have to be reminded on occasion, though that is true for ALL of my children :)
Reba
Once again, your words perfectly expressed what so many of us have been blessed to be a part of.
Oh Heather... you know just the right words to say to explain things and I always love all of your quotes. Allie is so incredibly perfect for your family and I am so happy that she is home and blossoming into such a beautiful little girl - you can see that she is bathed in love each and every moment. Adoption IS a miracle!
I am honored to have been able to walk your journey with you... and hopefully someday we will meet in person and share all of our blessings with one another.
My favorite quote... I prayed for this child and the Lord granted what I asked of him. - Samuel
Love, hugs and FROG!
Sarah & Sophie~Bug
Heather,
I remember vividly when you guys left to get Allie and bring her home. I remember checking your site CONSTANTLY waiting for updates and pictures. I also remember the first time I saw the picture of you holding Allie for the first time. I am as moved by that picture today as I was back then. I just love how she is clutching you and she looks so comfortable in your arms. At that very second, you knew that she was your daughter and she knew that you were her mommy, but God knew long before then. You all have been so blessed.
Love,
Jennifer
What a beautiful little lady she is! She is a miracle and such a wonderful blessing to not only your family but those of us that have gotten to witness her from the beginning. How blessed she is to have such an amazing family to be placed in. So filled with love and dedication to each other. Thanks for sharing your heart on the matter. It's simply beautiful!
Heather:
You always articulate so beautifully the joys and heartaches in your family. Thank you for being a light and encouragement to me and so many others. The 29th is Sarah's Birthday. She celebrated her 18th and thinks she is just hot stuff... As we ate dinner last night I shared stories of her birth. I actually don't know that much since she is a gift to be through adoption. The social worker had told me how at first Sarah didn't cry. Once she started she didn't stop for six weeks. It was six weeks before she was placed in my arms and I remember how much I loved her looking into her beautiful brown eyes. Now she is a beautiful young woman and I'm still amazed that God granted me the privlege of being her Mom. Both my children are blessing from God through adoption. What a priceless gift.
Thank you for sharing so beautifully the gift adoption is. If each Christian family adopted one child there would be NO more orphans in the world.. Can you imagine?
May you enjoy the blessings and joys given just for today; May you keep your eyes focused on the TRUTH; and May your joy bubble over to all those around you...
Love
Vicki Charbonneau
http://kazakhvictoria.blogspot.com
Heather ~ I had tears from the first sentence you wrote! Then I saw the pic of you and Allie's first meeting and of course....more tears. You can just see the joy, excitement and love in your eyes and your smile. Allie is so lucky!! That was such a great and inspiring entry.
BTW - Thanks for signing Hayden's GB. I was so excited and honored to have you sign. Hugs to all the Duckworths.
www.caringbridge.org/visit/hayden
Dear Heather,
I absolutely love this quote; the headmaster from my son's school has retired and wrote a series of "Reflections" before he left. This quote was in the last one, and I immediately passed it on to Jenny, mom of sweet angel Catie. But, after reading this post, I think it fits a lot of situations in your life, too. Hope you enjoy it....while realizing that so many of us love watching you fly!
“When we walk to the edge of the light
And have to take a step into the
Darkness of the unknown
We must believe that
One of two things will happen…
There will be something solid to
Stand on or God will teach us to fly."
Author Unknown
Thank you so much for this beautiful message about adoption. I am going to be heading down that road myself and it is always nice to read of such a good experience and Allie is so fortunate to have found such a good, loving, and faithful family!
I read somewhere, and posted the same on my own blog in an early post, that an adopted child is born in your heart... and I truly believe this.
What an absolutely beautiful post. I am just BURSTING with excitement to meet our newest little princess after reading this. Of course you know how I treasure adoption with you. The very thought of life without Zoe makes me teary. She is MY SWEET HEART! I have enjoyed watching your journey so much. I definately laugh and cry with you all along the way.
I have something really big I am hoping you will play a part in. I think you are going to like it. You can e-mail if you want. :0) angel weir at gmail dot come
HUGS! Angel
She is adorable!
What a blessed family you are!
(I just had to mention-I recognize the room at the Marriot in GC....BTDT....:))
Post a Comment