Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fingerprints of God

Hello friends,

I was driving in the car the other day when I heard this song on the radio . . .



The words to this song really made me think of how often we look so hard for God in the BIG stuff . . . that we miss Him in the little stuff that happens all around us - everyday!

"People see God every day, they just don't recognize him."

-Pearl Bailey

I once read that God is everywhere . . . but we don't always recognize Him because we all tend to:

* focus on the "bad" stuff in life
*lack gratitude for what we do have
*try to control everything . . . and don't give in to His will.

Okay, I'm guilty of doing all of the above! I want to see God more . . .
but it is so hard some days to recognize Him.

Yeah, when the van is in the shop,
there's a leak under our sink,
the ice-maker broke,
the baby has a cold,
Brandon forgot his homework,
Donnie's out of town,
grief consumes my heart . . .
it's hard to see God!

It's hard to focus on the good, to be thankful, to let go of control.
But I realize that God is there . . . some days I just don't recognize His touch! How comforting to know that God is always there - even on days I have trouble seeing Him. His fingerprints are everywhere . . . and I need to slow down and look for them more often!

This also reminded me of another song by Steven Curtis Chapman . . .



Oh, can't we all see the fingerprints of God in our children? I know I sure can!

Here is a collage my mom made last year of Jacob using the lyrics from the song above. It was on Jacob's site for a while - but I just had to share it again!


Ending with some random pics from the week . . .






Watching Elmo!

You can almost always find Brandon in a tree!
Such a monkey!



A big congratulations to Devin who hit his FIRST-EVER - to the fence - HOMERUN last night!!
Definitely a proud-Mommy moment! :)


Ending with a scripture . . .

"And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Matthew 28:20

Looking for fingerprints,


**********************

Thank you so much for the comments to my last 2 posts! I hope you know that they are truly appreciated!

16 comments:

Sarah said...

LOVE the pics... and I love Allie's little smocked top too... where did you find it? Congratulations Devin on your homerun! Woohoo!!!

Looking for God in the little everyday things... thanks for such a wonderful post, Heather!

Allison said...

Is that shirt Allie is wearing another creation of your mother in law? What a cute little shirt. Congrats to Devon on his homerun. I just love spending my evenings at the ball field. Thanks for yet another uplifting post. Keep them coming.

Allison (Allie)

Lakeville Vertical said...

Thanks for this reminder.Often hard to remember and think on these things. You are a blessing to me.

MLP said...

I just caught up on your last three posts! WOW! YES, I WILL PRAY WITH YOU ~ every single day. Also I love the pics & story of you and your husband. Ya'll were beautiful then and you are beautiful now! I just love your blog!!! A flash of Amazing Jacob's smile & my day is complete.

Mindy

Tessa said...

Heather,

This post reminds me of the song by Rich Mullins and also song by Michael W. Smith ... "I See You". Basically the chorus is "everywhere I go I see You". Such a reminder that God is everywhere at all times ... even in the small seemingly insignificant!

Amen to that!

Rachel said...

(((Heather)))
You are such a blessing to me Heather!

Way to go Devin!

Bobbi said...

Way to Go Devin! Congratulations.

Love the songs and pics.

Anonymous said...

Still continuing to pray!
Isaiah 49:13-16a Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted. But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands...

Angel said...

Hey friend. I was wondering... Have you seen Russ' and my new endeavor? I wrote a post about it Monday... http://thevoiceofadventure.blogspot.com/

I would LOVE for you to be involved with it if you are interested. You could be a blogger. It is super easy as you just link your blog to our site. No pressure. Just check it out if you get a chance!

HUGS TO YOU! Angel

Carmen said...

Heather,
I do try to control everything and have days where I focus on the bad. I think everybody has those days, sometimes we just need to take a step back and trust that God has a plan for us and he's always with us. Great post Heather.I love the new pictures and tell Devin I said ....WAY TO GO..
Carmen

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I LOVE the pictures..and the song.

It's so easy for us to get caught up in "life" that we only notice God..in the Big things.

What a GREAT reminder...to be mindful...every day, and every momement....

Bless you sweet friend.

Kim~

Rebekah said...

Oh Heather - THANK YOU as always for the amazing faith you show! I get tingles when I read your posts and your scriptures ... You are an amazing mom ... those songs are beautiful! I am making a DVD for my goddaughters birthday - of photos of her - I will be sure to add those beautiful songs! Thanks so much for all you do ... oh and of course CONGRATS Devin on your Home Run - I am so sure your mom was proud - even us 'strangers' are proud!

Have a blessed day!

Rebekah and Jaden

snekcip said...

I have ALWAYS loved the collages that your mother has done! They are ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL!!! You are surrounded by VERY TALENTED FAMILY(of course you know I LOVE ALL OF NANCY CREATIONS SHE HAS MADE FOR ALLIE AND MY BREE)! I haven't had a chance to hear the song (I have no speakers here at work) but I definitely will listen to it this afternoon!

Laurie from GA said...

I just love that song! And how easily we miss the little things, searching for the big ones!

I love your previous post! You'll have to see my latest...it's our 16th anniversary and you and I sported very similar "do's" over the years! I loved searching for these old pics. It brought back good memories!

Have a blessed day!
Laurie

Our Two Blessings From Above said...

I really enjoyed the song, Fingerprints of God. I loved all the pictures too.
Tell Devin CONGRATULATIONS on his first homerun. How exciting!

Stephanie said...

I love both songs! I had the first one on my blog for awhile and I took it down.

I love the pictures! The third one of Allie is a favorite! I love the picture of Devin in all of his gear also. Congrats to him on his first home run! That's awesome!
Stephanie