Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Happy 8th Birthday, Brandon & Devin


Hello friends,

Eight years ago today I was 32 weeks pregnant with my triplet boys. I was big as a barn and so uncomfortable. I had been on bedrest for 14 long weeks after having a cerclage because I was showing signs of pre-term labor at 18 weeks. Thankfully the cerclage held my sweet babies in for a while longer and things were going well. My goal was to make it to 34 weeks and I was scheduled to deliver on June 9th. But I didn't quite make it!


On May 27, I woke up around midnight because I wasn't feeling well. I got up to go to the bathroom and immediately started bleeding - which caused both Donnie & I to panic. After a frantic call to the doctor, we were on our way to the hospital. Donnie broke the speed limit the whole way there - while we prayed that our babies would just stay put a little while longer! During this time I had one contraction that did not quit - and was in such terrible pain. When we arrived at the hospital at around 12:45am - I couldn't even walk and the nurses had to come and get me in a wheelchair. The doctors weren't there yet and the nurses were starting to panic themselves because they realized that Baby A (Brandon) was coming quickly and they didn't want to deliver triplets by themselves! The nurse gave me medication to stop the contraction - but it didn't work - and the pain was so severe. Apparently my body went into hard labor immediately and was doing all it could to get those babies out! The pain was overwhelming and Donnie told me later that my screams could be heard all over the maternity ward.

I was prepped for an emergency c-section - but my pain was so severe that I wasn't really even coherent! Finally, my sweet boys were born May 27, 2000 . . . Brandon at 1:41am, Jacob at 1:42am and Devin at 1:43am. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything . . . In fact, I have no recollection of their birth or even seeing them for the first time or the whole next day after they were born. I was completely out of it - heavily drugged up from the pain and emergency c-section and I was wiped out from pure exhaustion. Finally, on the second day, I was well enough to travel to the NICU to see my sweet boys for the first time - that I remember! I will never forget that moment - seeing those tiny, red, wrinkled babies and falling so madly in love with each of them. Donnie & I were just in awe that we created these 3 beautiful boys! Brandon, Jacob & Devin all did remarkably well for 8 weeks early and were all home in less than 3 weeks!



It is hard to believe that was 8 years ago! Time goes by way too fast . . . where did my sweet babies go? Looking back, I often wonder how Donnie and I survived with 3 babies and a 2 year old! :) But I realize more than ever now that having triplets was all part of God's plan for our life. God knew that Jacob would need his brothers to help him through his cancer treatment. Many times Jacob would cry for his brothers and they were the only ones who could make him smile. Brandon and Devin cared for Jacob with such concern, gentleness and kindness and they would literally do ANYTHING to make him happy. They were a huge source of comfort for Jacob and a large part of why Jacob had a constant smile on his face despite all the hardships he faced.



And God knew that Brandon & Devin would continue to bring comfort and joy to our family when Jacob passed away. He knew that we would need them to show us that life goes on . . . and they have been such a bright light shining in our dark days of grief. And not a day goes by that I don't fall to my knees and thank God for trusting me with 5 of His most precious gifts - my children. And I thank Him for blessing me with triplets - what an honor it is to be their mother!


And although Brandon, Jacob and Devin are triplets, the boys are as different as they can be . . .



Brandon is Type-B - laid back and easy-going. He will talk non-stop and ask a million questions. He is polite, happy and compassionate. He loves bugs and catching frogs, fishing and riding his bike. He doesn't like to write or read and his room is always messy. He is silly and such a ham - always ready to tell a joke. He often talks about Jacob and he is absolutely the best big brother to Allie! He cares about others and is friendly and kind. Brandon always has a twinkle in his eyes and his smile is so contagious! Everybody just loves Brandon. He can find the positives in every situation. When he grows up he wants to be an entomologist.


Devin is Type-A - He is a hard-worker and a perfectionist. He always gives 110 percent and tries his best. He is a good student. Devin is intense - he is quiet till he gets to know you and then he can be quite loud! He has a temper that will often land him in time-out. He is my athlete and excels at every sport - but his favorite is baseball. He is neat and likes his room clean and is the best helper around the house. He is very competitive and driven and never gives up. He was the first to walk - the first to ride his bike - the first to tie his shoes and the first to read. He is a worrier - and the most demanding for attention - yet he is always affectionate and loving - a momma's boy at heart. When he grows up, he wants to be a baseball player!


Yes, Brandon and Devin are complete opposites - the true odd couple! ;) But we love that they are different - as it certainly makes life interesting.


And Jacob - well, he was a nice balance between Brandon and Devin! Jacob was the peacemaker. He loved everyone and cared so much about others. He spread joy and love everywhere he went. He was friendly and silly and could always make you smile. We miss the balance that Jacob brought to our family and we definitely always feel that something is missing - our family puzzle will not be complete till we are reunited in Heaven. We miss the sparkle in his eye and the love he shared with everyone. We miss his dancing and singing and laughter in our house. We miss him every minute of every day. But I know that Jacob is having the best birthday ever in Heaven - celebrating with Jesus. And I know that I have a forever 6 year old, blue-eyed angel waiting for me when it is my time to join him in Heaven. I look forward to the joy I will feel at that moment when I can wrap my arms around my son again! What excitement and HOPE that thought puts in my heart. I can only imagine . . . being in the presence of the Lord with Jacob by my side.


Happy 8th Birthday,
Brandon & Devin




May you always know how deeply you are loved . . . and how very special you are. May you always remember Jacob . . . he is a part of both of you and I know he loved both of you more than anything. May you reach for the stars and celebrate each day. May you know God and trust Him in all things. May you sing and dance and laugh and love. May you know that Daddy and I love you completely, totally, always and forever!


I invite you to take a stroll down memory lane with me and watch my guys grow up over the past 8 years in the slideshow below. Each picture represents such a sweet memory and I thank God for each one. And as I look through these pictures with tears in my eyes - I see the joy my boys have for life and the love they have for each other and I know that I am humbled and blessed to be their mother. And I know without a doubt that although my grief is overwhelming at times - my LOVE for Jacob and ALL of my children is stronger . . . stronger than my grief! Oh, how I love all 5 of my children - and I thank God for blessing my life with each of them.




We plan to celebrate Brandon & Devin's birthday this Saturday with friends and family. It should be a very fun, but bittersweet day . . . a day of celebrating and a day of mourning. Our hearts are filled with JOY that we still get to celebrate this day with Brandon & Devin - we are so thankful for them! Yet, our hearts will be missing Jacob so very much . . .


Ending with a scripture . . .

"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior’s hands.How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them!"
Psalm 127:3-5

Thanking God for my children . . .
for their birth,
for their life,
for their love,
for the memories
and for the JOY they bring to our life everyday,

54 comments:

Audra said...

Happy Birthday to Brandon & Devin and Remembering Jacob with so much Love!

Many prayers to you Heather and all the Duckworth's.

Much Love,
Audra

Allison said...

Happy 8th Birthday Brandon, Devon & Jacob. I hope your day is filled with Joy and with Blessings. May God grace you with His presence and allow your 8th year to be the best year yet.

Elinor Schwartz said...

Happy Birthday Brandon and Devin. May you continue to bring pride and love to your mom, dad, Kyle, Allie and all of your family.

Libby said...

Heather, thank you so much for the updates! A week without news of the Duckworth's was tough!

Happy, Happy Birthday to Brandon, Devin and Amazing Angel Jacob. Have a magnificent celebration!

Libby Gladden

Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Brandon and Devin! :) I hope you guys have an incredible birthday and an awesome celebration this coming weekend! Are you going to have two cakes, again? :)
Happy Birthday to the most amazing angel, Jacob! :)

Have a wonderful week!

Smile :)

Sue said...

Happy Birthday wishes to Bandon and Devin. Remembering your sweet Jacob everyday and praying for you through this time.

Amy S. said...

Hi Heather,

Welcome back my friend!..You were truly missed. I sure hope everyone is feeling better by now.
Nothing but contained prayers for the Chapman family. They have been so heavy on my mind this past week and I know so much you were feeling their pain. A very Happy, Happy Birthday to the boys! Im glad everyone is better for the birthday fun this weekend!

Love and Hugs...

Rebekah said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Sweet Boys - may your day be filled with blessings, love and wonderful memories of Jacob! Heather - thanks for sharing such a wonderful slideshow of your boys! Glad to hear you are back and all of you are feeling better ... Have a wonderful day!

Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2 TOO!

Our Two Blessings From Above said...

Happy Birthday-Brandon-Jacob-Deven

Have a wonderful time on Saturday when you celebrate the boys birthday. I will say a prayer that it will be a day that is as perfect as it can be while missing Jacob during the celebration.

Can't wait to see pictures.

I will always remember Amazing Jacob! He had such a glow to his beautiful face, no matter what the situation was.
Enjoy the week.
Judy

Kyle said...

Happy Birthday Brandon and Devin!! I can't believe you guys are 8 years old!! I hope you guys have the very best birthday! Your family is in my prayers. Love, Kyle

Carmen said...

Heather I loved the video and cried my eyes out watching it, the boys have all grown so much. They have so much love for each other, you can see it in all their pictures. What a beautiful family you have and 5 beautiful children. Happy Bithday to Amazing Jacob, Brandon, and Devin. My little Alyssa was born on May 28, 2005. We are having her party on Saturday to. She said she will be tree, lol. Have a wonderful week. My heart breaks for the Chapman family to, I feel so sorry for them. They have to deal with losing their baby girl and help their son get through what happened. How heartbreaking for their family.
Carmen

Melanie said...

Happy Birthiday to your three special boys! With parties both here and in heaven there must be some great birthday celebrations going on!

Sending many prayers your way...

Anonymous said...

Hi Duckworth family. Just wanted to wish Brandon and Devin a very special Happy Birthday!! Hope your birthday brings your way special memories that last a lifetime. God bless each of you.

Hugs,
Liz D.

Vicki said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Brandon and Devin. Hope today's filled with lots of fun times. Also, I just know Jacob's having a wonderful birthday celebration in heaven.

The slideshow was beautiful. I especially love all the pictures with the boys loving on Jacob. You can really see the special bond of love the all share. What a blessing to have such beautiful, loving children.


Heather, it's so great to have your blog back up. I checked in everyday and really missed you.

Praying that today is a great day for you all.

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday to your precious boys and always remembering Jacob! We all missed your post this week, but know that sometimes a break is necessary. Glad you are all feeling better this week. My youngest son came down with a bug last nigh and I am hoping it's just a 24 hr bug as well.

~Amanda

Oh and Allie's hair is getting SO long! Before you know it she'll be ready for pig tails. ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Bithday Brandon and Devin! I know of one blue eyed angel that is shakin his booty today! Heather, I love your birthday tribute to the boys. However, I'll have to wait untill I get home to see the slideshow, I'm running out of tissue here at work. Thinking of you all today and remembering your sweet Jacob! May you have more smiles today than tears. Hugs from Fort Worth.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday boys! Hope your day is filled with sugary frosting and lots of fun presents. I'm sure Jacob has a surprise or two up his sleeves for you! Maybe a cardinal in the oddest of places or a frog hopping in your way when you least expect it?

Kim M. said...

Happy Birthday to your boys!!!!!! Devin & Brandon - I hope you have a GREAT party on Saturday.
Amazing Jacob is never far from my heart and mind - I think of him often...when I see a beautiful sky or hear a particular song. To say that about someone I've never met still humbles me...
Love to all the Duckworth family!
The Magnan Family (in WI)

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful Boys!! Don't you just love little May babies (my baby turns 16 tomorrow!)!? I know that seeing Brandon & Devin celebrate their birthday will forever remind you of Jacob not being there to celebrate with them. But, we all know he is shining his love on his brothers every single day of their lives!

Have a wonderful celebration of life with your family!! And give those gorgeous boys a big birthday hug from KY!!!

Elinor Schwartz said...

I sent a happy birthday message earlier to Devin and Brandon, but I guess something happened to it. In any event, if I said it the first time, I can say it again- I hope you have a very happy birthday and may you always be a source of love and pride to mom, dad, Kyle, Allie and all of your family and friends.

Christy said...

Happy Birthday Brandon and Devin!! And Jacob too!!!
Heather -the photo montage was great! I remember alot of those photos from Jacob's site..brings back alot of memories for me...I cannot imagine how bittersweet looking at those pics must be for you. While we've never met, I really feel like I know your family. I hope you all have a great week.
Love, Christy

Dell5 said...

Happy Birthday Boys!!!!! Hope you have a great day!

Thank goodness you are back Heather ~ I've been having withdraw!!! Hope everyone is back to feeling better. Summer is around the corner and you can't be sick for that! Have a fantastic week!

www.caringbridge.org/visit/hayden

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday boys! I hope that your day is fun-filled and full of joy. Remembering Jacob today too. I'm sure heaven can throw one awesome birthday party!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday boys! I hope that your day is fun-filled and full of joy. Remembering Jacob today too. I'm sure heaven can throw one awesome birthday party!

Amy

MLP said...

Happy Birthday to Your Boys!!! What a wonderful post! I just love your little guys & girl and I don't even know ya'll!!!

I followed Jacob's entire story (this was before I was a 'commenter' ~ well, I left you a few comments back then), BUT boy did I feel the love and joy that Jacob spread. I've never seen a brighter sparkle in any child's eyes than I did in Jacob's (and that was just in pictures).

May God bless you and comfort you!

Mindy

Vanessa said...

Happy birthday to two handsome little men!! May you have many more blessings in the year to come!!
HUGS
Vanessa
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday to Brandon, Devin and Amazing Jacob! Wishing you joy as you celebrate this day and as you remember your Angel. Still thinking of you!
~Kristen

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Happy 8th Birthday to Brandon and Devin. (And...sweet memories of Jacob)

What true blessings your boys are to you and your family.

Enjoy celebrating their special day!

Kim~

Tessa said...

What a sweet slideshow of your boys! It brought tears to my eyes. I hope they have fantastic birthday!

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Brandon and Devin! You guys are growing up so quickly and have brought such joy to so many hearts! Enjoy your special day!

Missing Jacob and his sweet smile but knowing he is celebrating right along with you and he is sending heavenly kisses to you!

Liz from Maryland said...

A Very Happy Birthday to Brandon & Devin and to Angel Jacob. Enjoyed your slideshow of the boys. Allie is just so adorable and looks so happy in each and every picture. Can see that she has brought much happiness to your family. Hope that everybody is feeling better.
Sending love and hugs,

Liz Unger
Arnold, Md.

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday Boys! God bless your beautiful and amazing family.

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday Boys! God bless your beautiful and amazing family.

{darlene} said...

Happy Birthday Brandon and Devin! Blessings and prayers and courage to your family on this day.
Your video was beautiful, and your love and blessings abound across the screen into my livingroom. Thank you for sharing your story to the glory of God.
Darlene

Kristine said...

I don't have time to read your new entries, so I will have to come back tomorrow and read your updates :)

But I knew it was Brandon, Devin and Jacob's birthday today so I wanted to jump on here and wish
Brandon and Devin a very Happy 8th Birthday! Being 8 is great, just ask my son who is 8 himself :)

Donnie and Heather, I know this day is bittersweet, celebrating with Brandon and Devin, while aching for Jacob :(
I know there are no words to say, but please know right this minute I am saying a prayer that you feel Jacob's love surround you with a big hug from your AMAZING blue eye Angel.

If there is music in Heaven you can bet your last dollar Jacob is shaking that booty.

Many thoughts and prayers are with you on this bittersweet day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRANDON AND DEVIN! Have a piece of cake for me :)

Laurie from GA said...

What a precious group of boys!

I am praying for you and your family during this "rollercoaster" of emotions. Your statement about your love overpowering your grief is inspiring and this can definitely be seen in your posts!

Marie said...

I've often wondered what it must be like to have to celebrate Jacob's birthday because it is also Devin and Brandon's too. I've seen other families who lost children use that day to visit the cemetary and remember that child, while you can still do that of course you are forced to make it a happy day for the others. I've always thought that would be so hard, but I can see from your post that you are choosing to use the boys' birthdays as a way to stay positive. I'm sure that would be the way Jacob wants it - for his birthday to always be a happy day for your family!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize it was birthday time already. My heart is aching so that Jacob's not here to celebrate.
Be comforted by the fact that God is praying for you!
Romans 8:26-28 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

mommy3 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BRANDON, DEVIN, & AMAZING ANGEL JACOB!!!

You have an amazing birth story with the triplets - even if you don't remember the actual birth. ;) I can't believe how handsome and grown-up the boys are. How quickly time flies!

Thinking of you and sending our biggest birthday hugs from CA!
Jenn B. and family (FOA/FOH)

Beverly said...

Happy Birthday - Brandon, Devin and Jacob! I know Jacob is celebrating with all of you. Loved the video - watched it twice - so full of sweet memories, I'm sure. Sorry to hear everyone was sick but thankful you all are up and running again!

Heather, I've wanted to ask you this but if you don't have time to respond - don't worry about it. What program does your Mom use to make all the beautiful collages and pictures? I'm sure you told us all somewhere and I've looked without success. If you have time just email me at bevwalks@aol.com. Tell you Mom I love her pictures - she does an awesome job. She's so talented!

Thanks! Love to you all. Love that little Allie - she's precious

valerie said...

Heather,
I wrote yesterday, but something happened to my comment??

I sat here and had tears streaming down my cheeks during the entire video. How precious is your family!

One of the things that blesses me each time I see pictures of your family is the obvious joy in your lives. Even in the most difficult times, you all have smiles and joy and are showing genuine love to one another.

Your kids are all adorable!

I thought about you off and on all day yesterday.

Tell the boys someone from Oklahoma wishes them a very happy 8th birthday. Hope y'all have a great time all together on Sat.

Love,
Valerie

Constance said...

Dear Heather,
I have visited your blog many times and the one thing that I always come away with, no matter if it's a hard day or a good day, is the magnificent hope that resonates within you!!! You are such a blessing to us sweet sister in Christ! Your children have indeed been very blessed!
Hugs,
Connie

Tonya said...

Heather, I'm SO SORRY I missed celebrating your guys' birthday with you. I know it was hard not having Jacob there. I've thought of you so much lately.. I know Jacob's Heavenly birthday is quickly approaching too. I will pray for the JOY OF THE LORD to be your STRENGTH through the coming days and weeks ahead.

Please tell the boys "Happy Birthday" from their friends in Mississippi? After reading about your family for so long.. and especially after this post, I know our boys would be very good friends. (I'd be fun to get our girls together too) =-)

I LOVE YOU, my Sister! I'm here if you need to talk.

PS.. You've been MISSED! I'm SO GLAD you're back, but COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND the need for family time. ;-)

Bobbi said...

Happy Birthday, boys!!! All three of you are just so darn cute.

Heather, I don't know how you did it!!! But, with those four smiling at you everyday I am sure that helped.

I loved all the pics on the video. So fun to watch. Three babies that all looked so different.....I have always loved the one of the three of them at about a year old in their diapers watching TV.

Hope you are all still recovering!! Sounds like a major germ fest.

As always, Allie is an absolute doll. Can't believe she is already 15 months old...where does the time go??

Glad you are back. I missed you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Heather! I think I may have posted a comment on Jacob's Caring Bridge site a time or two, but since then I haven't written. I was excited to find your blog and have been reading it frequently. You have some of the most beautiful boys I have ever seen. Their personalities shine from their photos, and they sure do have some fabulous smiles! And your little princess is gorgeous as well. It will never be fair that one of your fellows left you so soon. Families like yours are the reason my husband and I, with two little ones of our own, contribute to childhood cancer causes as often as we can. Your perspective on life, death, and the hope we can find amid it all is so refreshing. I appreciate your photos, videos, and especially your words and am grateful to you for being willing to share them all...even with strangers like me.

--Kelley Land (Macon GA)

Jenelle said...

I hope the boys had a great birthday! They're so precious. That's quite a delivery story! Ouch! Perfect verse to end with.

Our Family of 5 said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet Brandon,Devin & Jacob! They are all so precious and priceless. Thank you for giving us all the insight to them!

Unknown said...

Happy Brithday Brandon and Devin!! I hope you have a wonderful party. I'm sure sweet Jacob will be celebrating, too. He is so dearly missed by all of us!!

Heather, the video was awesome!!It brought back many memories for me, I can only imagine the impact on you! You do such a wonderful job with the pictures and telling about the boys. What a huge blessing for them!!

Have a great day celebrating the boys' birthday on Saturday. I know you will be missing Jacob but you will be in our prayers.

Much love,
Janet DeRosier

threehandprints said...

Happy Happy Birthday Brandon and Devin!

Glad to see you are back on! I've missed your beautiful pictures and uplifting updates. You have such a way with words:)

Have fun at the birthday party!Jolene

MeLaNiE said...

I hope your boys had a wonderful birthday! They are very handsome!

Kathy said...

Happy 8th birthday to 2 beautiful boys and one amazing angel.
Thanks for sharing your family. You are truly an inspiration and I look forward to your uplifting updates!!

God Bless

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

I came to your blog from my friend's ....and I am so glad I did!

I am so blessed by you and your boys and your family and Jacob and most of all, The Father's hand on your life.

Your blog feels like "hope". May the Father bless you as you glorify HIM with your life everyday!

Happy Birthday to your beautiful boys!

Blessings,
Teri

Tim said...

Hi Heather,

I posted a message to you along with a birthday greeting to the boys the other day and it never went up. I sure hope I didn't say something to offend you! If I did, please accept my apology because I think you're just one of the sweetest moms that I've ever "met"! Glad you're back to your blog.
Blessings,
Tracie
http://thecupishalf-full.blogspot.com/

Tina said...

Happy Birthday Devin and Brandon.
Happy Heavenly Birthday Angel Jacob. You will never be forgotten.