Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fun at Disney!

Hello friends,

I hope you all are enjoying the first weeks of summer vacation! I just LOVE this time of year . . . sleeping in, lazy days, fun times! :)

We started off our summer with our annual trip to Disney for "Star Wars Weekends." We went with family & friends and had a group of 20 of us all together. Nancy made our red Disney shirts and my mom made the yellow Star Wars shirts - definitely makes it easier to keep track of our group when we all wear the same color! :)

We had a great time and it was so fun to watch Allie! That girl is hilarious and has a ball everywhere she goes. She loves to GO, GO, GO! She loved all the rides - although she didn't enjoy waiting in line too much. She had a couple of meltdowns in the lines - but was so very excited when it was time to get on the ride! She cracked us up all week. And of course the boys loved all the Star Wars activities!

Here are a few pics from our vacation . . .


I just love these little shoes!
Our family
Breakfast with Winnie-the-Pooh!

Meeting Mickey for the 1st time!
Allie was so excited to see the characters - but was a little shy when they got too close. Thankfully, she wasn't afraid, though!

Allie even gave Minnie a hug right before we left!
Tom Sawyer's Island.
Allie tried hard to keep up with all the boys!
We did see a cardinal while on Tom Sawyer's Island - but no one was quick enough to get a picture! But we know that Jacob was right with us.
Walking to our car after a long day at Disney!
Allie was so tired - but wouldn't let go of Mickey!


The next day we went to Hollywood Studios for Star Wars weekends! The Storm Troopers were on the roof as you go into the park.
The boys got up close and personal with several of the characters during the parade!


And the picture below is just so funny!
It is Allie as Amidala, Kyle as Anakin, Devin at Obi-Wan and Brandon as Mace Windu! We had so much fun doing that . . . the kids were laughing hysterically!

We had several group shots taken with all of us - but I don't have those yet so I will have to share them later this week! They weren't on my camera. For those who have time or want to see more, there is a slideshow below with lots more pics and video clips from our trip. We all had such a great time and made some wonderful memories! We are already looking forward to next year's trip! ;)




Devin's All-Star schedule is keeping us quite busy. He has practice every night and tournaments every weekend - Thurs-Sun. - during the month of June! We are really excited about this weekends games!
Thanks so much for checking in on us! Someone left a comment to let me know that there have been over a million visits to my blog since I started it last July! WOW! I continue to be amazed and blessed with the support we receive . . . although I also continue to wonder who you all are and how in the world did you find us! :) But know that I am ever so grateful for the love and prayers you have given us over the years! May you know how deeply you have touched our hearts and lives with your encouragement & friendship and how we appreciate it so very much!
Most of you know that tomorrow is Jacob's Heavenly Birthday . . . 2 years since he has passed away. I will update Jacob's Site tomorrow - so please stop by and join us in remembering our son! We miss him with every breath . . . words just don't come close to expressing how much Jacob's presence is missed in our family. But we thank God for the promise of Heaven . . . it fills our hearts with so much hope!
Well, I have a lot more to share . . . but I need to run for now! Allie will be up soon and I need to finish some things around the house before she wakes up. But I have so many updates in my head . . . It's just hard to find time to write them all down. :)
Ending with a scripture . . . that is so very true for me. I often find that my soul truly is waiting for God!

"Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation."
Psalm 62:1
Waiting for God,


36 comments:

Pam said...

Totally enjoyed the pics of your sweet family. I've followed your story since before you lost Jacob. Looks like you had a blast at Disney... a hot blast.. but a blast! : )

Kay

Carmen said...

Heather I love all the pictures, it looks like your family had a great vacation. Allie is so funny, I love how excited she got over mickey mouse. It so wonderful to see the world through the eyes of a child. She is so full of joy, se just shines. Have a good week.
Your Friend,
Carmen

Norissa said...

Heather, I have been "keeping up" with your family for quite a while now, before Jacob's passing. I am one of those "lurkers" silently praying for you and your family. I can not believe it has been 2 years since Jacob entered Heaven. You and your family have truly touched my heart. I have 3 children, an 11 year old daughter, Katy and 2 boys, Kyle 8 and Jake 7. I cannot imagine myself in your shoes. You have always so much dignity and Faith. I admire your strength! I enjoy reading your Blog, you have such a talent for writing. Thank you for sharing a piece of your life with "us". You are a true Blessing!!! God Bless! Norissa

Stephanie said...

Heather-
Disney is one of our favorite places! I'm so glad that you all had such a great time.

Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers over the next few days. Jacob and your family are always a part of our thoughts and prayers. I know how difficult these specific dates can be though.

Praying that God comes soon,
Stephanie

Leah said...

I found you through my sweet friend's little girl's site. Her name was Star Nuckolls and there was a prayer request for Jacob on her site. I was hooked on your darling family from that moment on. I will be praying for you even harder tomorrow. I can't imagine what that day is like for you.
Blessings,
Leah

Q's NEWS said...

I know tomorrow is the anniversay of Jacob's heavenly birthday. I will be thinking of and praying for you guys tomorrow especially. I love reading your blog! You write so well, I feel like I am there with you guys!

Love from WV,
Susan

carriewithslah said...

Hi Heather! Your pictures definitely do your trip justice--it's evident you all had a great time! Sorry I haven't gotten back to your email...I promise to just as soon as I can. Hope all is well--our kids and I are headed to Disney next month--I hope we have as great a time as you guys did. Take care!

Cheers,
Carrie O.

Allison said...

That was a great update!! Alley fits so perfectly into your family - I truely believe she was hand picked by one special little boy. Congrats on all the visitors. Ok this is how I found you. At my work a girl told me about a website Babyzone - she was apart of it and she knew how much I love children. I started reading the posts over there. One day someone posted about a little girl named Allie Scott who was only 3-4 months old who was diagnosed with cancer:( When I start reading about peoples lives I get emotionally vested in these families and even though it seems strange I sometimes take on some of the hurt myself even though I don't yall from Adam. Well after reading her blog about Allie for awhile someone posted a link to Jacobs website - here again I go reading and getting emotionaly involved. I have read your blog now for about 3 years. I feel as if I know you but I know I don't. There is only so much you share with us and I know there is so much more to yall lives. So thats it in a nutshell. Wow that was long.

Allison

Michele R. said...

Hi Heather and family!

I am jealous! It looks like you have a fantastic time at Disney and at Star Wars weekend! We would love to be able to be there during Star Wars weekend, but it is just too close to the end of the school year for us to make it. We have been to Disney World 6 times in the last 7 years! Not too bad, considering we live in Lincoln, Nebraska! We just love it there!!! Looking at your pictures brings back such wonderful memories of our family vacations there!

I will be thinking of you all tomorrow, and sending a prayer your way.

Hold your family especially close tomorrow!

Michele Raatz :)
Lincoln, Nebraska

Farrah said...

You were only a few miles from me this weekend...I live 20 minutes west of Disney!
Looks like ya'll had a blast and those shirts are great too....

Anonymous said...

we were in fl in Feb and looking at your pics makes me want to go back now!! I think of you all very often tomarrow the kids and i are going to release some balloons for Jacob remember you are all on my mind and in my prayers

queen foodie said...

A million hits...that's great. I've been following Jacob and your family since his Caringbridge site. I think it's great your family all gets along so well and does so many things together. I married a great guy and have 2 fab kids, but his/our family doesn't have the closeness yours does. The pictures are great and Allie is adorable.

Laura said...

Hi! I'm so glad everyone had such a great time at Disney! Summer vacation is fantastic- I wish I still got one! :) Although, no one was able to capture the cardinal in a photo, Devin (in the post below) and Brandon both were sporting their baseball caps from when they played for the Cardinals.

I'll definitely stop by Jacob's site tomorrow, as I also remember the passing of my aunt on the same date only a year earlier.

I hope everyone continues to have a wonderful summer!

Smile :)

Bobbi said...

I loved all the pics, and video clips. Allie looks like she had so much fun, and was so fun to watch!!

The t-shirts were a great idea in a big crowd. I think it is great that you all do so much as a big family. Great memories for your kids.

Thinking of you tomorrow as you remember Jacob. I will stop by his site tomorrow. I have always been a lurker on his site.

Know you will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

Susan said...

Hey Sweet Heather,

Your blog looks GREAT!! Loved the pictures. I was surprised to see a "shy" side of Allie!

I'm heading over to Jacob's blog now.

Sending lots of love tonight♥

René S said...

Pretty soon you're going to have to add the Princess meals to your Disney trip. When we went just before our daughter turned 3, it was SO magical! The shows were spell binding, seeing the real "Cindelella" almost left her speechless, and it was so fun for us to see it through her eyes. I can't wait to live it through your pictures of Allie.

Happy Summer! I hear it is cooler there than up here in Wilmington, NC.

Jeri said...

Where do you stay when your family goes to Disney? It looks like you all had a great fun time....God bless you all....

Jeri from Texas
jeri4joy@comcast.net

Audra said...

Heather, I just love the pictures....your slideshows are amazing, thank you so much for sharing!
Of course I will be visiting Jacob's site in the AM as I'm Always over there looking at sweet pictures of his Most Beautiful Face....how I miss him!
Praying for your sweet family on this day.
Much Love,
Audra

Christina said...

Looks like a wonderful trip and what a great way to start the summer with a trip to Disney! I just love the shirts! Its interesting you mention how did we all find you... its because of you (and Sarah and FFF) that I got to meet Jennifer last weekend and her family while they wer visiting here in CA! I have a few pics on my blog if you have time and want to see. :) I will be thinking of you and praying for your family tomorrow.
God bless!
Christina

Amy S. said...

Heather,

Happy Heavenly Birthday to Our Amazing Jacob!

It's hard to believe that 2 years have gone by. Today I will think of him and his sweet, sweet face in everything I do. He surely sure should be honored with all the good he gave us while here and all good that he continues to do in Heaven. I am beyond grateful for the gift of Eternal Life. I just know it has to be more awesome then we can ever imagine. :)

Love and Hugs My Friend on this most Bittersweet Day!

Anissa Mayhew said...

I love love love that your family is as equally Star Wars geeky as mine! My kids will flip to the credits because Chewbacca was played by Peter Mayhew and my kids think that is just the end all and be all that their dad's name is in the credits. Yes, your dad is a 50 year old, 7 foot tall guy...can't you tell?

Anyways, what a great trip you had, thank you for sharing it! It looked like so much fun and all those Duckworth smiles make it extra special.

I'm hoping that next week we can get together if you have free time, I think a day at the pool is a great idea since it's 1000 degrees!

Always praying you through, I hope that Jacob's Heavenly birthday brings you memories that enliven the day with joy and your pain of loss is eased with the knowledge that he lived an amazing life and continues to have such a rippling effect through other's lives.

Much love, always frogging with you
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

Dena said...

That looks SOOOO fun ! Now I am going to have to plan a trip! the picture with all of you in your shirts PRICELESS - I see that over the mantle - well - EVERY PICTURE of yall looks great!

Marti said...

thinking of you all today. Glad Disney was fun. Great pics.

Marti

Unknown said...

Hi.
As we celebrate my daughter's 7th birthday today, we also remember Jacob and his heavenly birthday! Praying for you all today and always.

Thanks for the awesome update. Looks like you all had a wonderful time together. That makes my heart smile! :-) And to know that you saw a cardinal while at Disney...how cool is that!!?!

Have a super week and GO DEVIN!!
Love from MN,
Janet DeRosier

Kim M. said...

I'm so glad that you had fun in Disney - Star Wars weekend sounds like a blast and something my boys would love. I'll have to look into that!!!!

Please wish Devin good luck for his all-star games! And know that we are missing your most Amazing Jacob. Every time I hear the song "I love Rock & Roll" (which is a lot more than I used to!) I will forever think of him....it brings a smile to my face.

Love,
The Magnan Family in WI (Kim, John, Brady and Tyler)

Kristine said...

I am rushed today, but I wanted to hop on here and let you know I am thinking of you and your family today as you remember Jacob. I hope this day bring smiles as you remember the beautiful boy he was and the special angel he is as he continues to touch lives.

I enjoyed the pics from Disney. I will have to watch the video later. I am sure it is great.

Thinking of you every day, but especially today.
I am going to head over to Jacob's website right now too :)

Kristine (Minnesota)

Bobbi said...

Forgot to mention how cute Allie's sandals are. Aren't girls so much fun to buy for???

She is getting tall, and loosing that baby look...they grow all too fast.

Lisa & Gerald said...

I been visiting your blog for a while evry day from May 2nd your blog post was having a ball. I even went in to your older posts boy think I went back almost to the start of your blog hehehe! I love your blog so much i can't go a day with out reading your blog. I found your blog from milk mamma
Im from St.Thomas, Ont. Canada
Not to sure if you visited my blog yet or you been visiting lol if not please stop by and say hi
ttyl

Lakeville Vertical said...

Heather,
Remembering this day and thinking of your sweet Jacob. I know this day is a terribly painful day but I am praying and hoping that your wonderful memories of your adorable boy overshadow anything that you may remember from this day. Wishing you a great day with your beloved family. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Heather and family, the pictures are great, looks like everyone had a great time! Can't help but think of Jacob today, as everyday, he still hangs on my refrigerator! I've been following his/ya'lls story for quite sometime now, I found you thru Allie Scott's caringbridge site (she's from Texas). I love reading your blog, you are such a wonderful writer. I especially love all the pictures you share, that is one of my hobbies, taking and looking at pictures. Best of luck to Devin with his Allstar games, looking forward to more pictures thru out the summer! Hugs from Fort Worth!

Kelley said...

It looks like you all had SO much fun!! My 5 (soon to be 6) yr. old is loving Star Wars right now so he would have loved the opportunity to meet the characters. Maybe we will look into that next year! Thanks for sharing all of your pictures and stories, they bring a smile to my face. I am praying for your family today as your face the anniversary of Jacob's passing. Take care Heather!!

Love,
Kelley

Liz from Maryland said...

Been thinking about your family all day today on Jacob's Heavenly Birthday. I think of Jacob often especially when I see a frog or a cardinal.

Loved your pictures from Disney. Looks like you all had a great time.

Sending love and hugs,

Liz Unger
Arnold, Md.

Anonymous said...

Heather- I started reading at Caring Bridge before Jacob went to Heaven and have thoroughly enjoyed keeping up with your beautiful family all this time. I feel as if I know you and some times I read what you say and just wish so much that there was something I could say that would be just the right thing. I have never commented before, but I want you to know that I am out here and praying for your family and praying for God to just wrap His arms around all of you not just today (As I know you are hurting so much), but every single moment that you feel grief wash over you. I pray that His peace will continue to provide you with all the hope and love and calm that only HE can give us. Thank you for sharing your family with us all. -Gretchen (Indiana)

Anonymous said...

These Disney pictures are wonderful! I look forward to taking my girls in a year or two. Thanks for sharing. It looks like you all had a fabulous time.

I wanted to be sure you knew about this: Wendy's is donating some of the proceeds from their Frosty sales this weekend (June 14 & 15) to the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption. See details at this link: http://www.rockinfrosty.org/. What a wonderful reason to enjoy a frosty!

--Kelley
Macon, GA

Unknown said...

Hi Heather!!
I did not get to check in yesterday, but you were the first place I came this am! I thought about you in my travels around yesterday. Wondering if you were able to visit Jacob's resting place. Dominic and I visited Arlington Memorial Park yesterday and visited a couple of resting places of people we knew, and of course, with him, some we didn't. That was my silly way of visiting Jacob, if that makes any sense. Two years, and yet it seems like last week sometimes. Of course, others, it seems so much longer. I thought about how peacefully he passed with you running your fingers through his hair. That helps me even as it hurts. I look forward to the day when it is my turn to join Him and Jacob in heaven. I'm not sure why, but I know that Jacob will know me and I will get the hug I always wanted to give him!
Dominic enjoyed your Disney video, he can't wait 'till we leave tomorrow. I just wish we were there with you all! You have got to let me know what program your mom has that she can make all the collages! I really want to be able to do that!! Love you all! Me

Amy said...

I just love all the Disney pictures. It's amazing to see it through the eyes of our children. The smiles on your childrens faces brings me so much joy.
The summer has started off a little rough for me. I got stung by a stingray and have been feeling yucky all week. We did go to Animal Kingdom for a day and it was awesome. We even saw a cardinal in Dinoland.
Have a great weekend!
Love & Prayers
I almost forgot to tell you that I have a friend that is expecting quads!!! It will be their first-forth at one time!!