Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly!

Hello friends,

We are back from our 4-day baseball tournament in Ocala. It was a challenging weekend to say the least! But let's start with the GOOD . . .


Allie had so much fun running through the fields with Brandon. This girl likes to GO and run all over the place!

Here they are looking for bugs!
It is so funny how she wants to do everything her brothers do!
They are teaching her all about baseball, dinosaurs and catching bugs. :) I love how completely fearless and trusting she is.

Devin & Brandon at the hotel.

And the best news of all is that Devin's All-Star team came in 2nd place! The games were so nail-biting close and so exciting.
Way to go, guys! We are so proud of all of you!

Devin with his 2nd place medal.
Unfortunately, we had a lot of BAD moments as well . . .

We checked into the hotel with the kids only to find out that their pool was closed. Can you believe someone had an accident and ran a car into the pool? So we packed everything back up and changed hotels. We needed a pool after spending all day at the HOT ball field.

Then the weather was horrible on Saturday - really bad thunderstorms! The baseball field looked like a river and the games were delayed for 5 hours. Because of the delay, we had to play 2 games back to back. It was a long day on the ball field.



And even though Devin's team came in 2nd - only the 1st place team advances on to the next tournament. So that means our All-Star season is officially over. The boys were really disappointed - but off the record - can I just tell you that I am really happy with second place. :)

And Allie fell in the hotel and hit her cheek on the coffee table - giving her an awful-looking bruise on the side of her face.


And right after Allie calmed down, we noticed that Kyle had broken out in hives all over his body - obviously having some type of allergic reaction to something. Thank goodness we had Benadryl with us! The hives completely disappeared about an hour after taking the Benadryl - just the weirdest thing!


But believe it or not - it gets worse!

The really UGLY part of our weekend was that Allie came down with her very first stomach virus Saturday afternoon while we were waiting for Devin's game to begin. And of course she was in her carseat the first time she got sick . . . and she continued to throw up about every 15-20 minutes for about 8 hours. That was so NOT FUN - especially since we weren't at home! I felt so bad for baby girl! I don't even want to tell you how bad I smelled . . . And let's just say that the car seat was so bad that we ended up throwing it away. We just could NOT get rid of the smell. Allie is doing better now - but her diapers still aren't "normal" yet. We are keeping her well-hydrated and hopefully she will be back to her usual self soon. Unfortunately, Allie passed the stomach bug onto me - which I guess was inevitable since she had been sick on me all afternoon! It has not been fun one bit but finally, today, I am feeling a little better.

As mothers, we certainly have our ups and downs and this trip was proof of that! But over the years I have learned that the tough days don't last forever - thank goodness. :) And I know that each day - God's grace is sufficient and my blessings are abundant. This is what we saw in our backyard when we got home the next day . . .



What a reminder that to see the rainbows in life - we must endure a little rain. :)

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”
Irish Blessing


I got to tag along to a sonogram appointment with Rhonda and Steve yesterday and it was so fun to see my nephew wriggling all over the place. That is one active baby! :) But everything looks good and we are getting pretty anxious to see this baby boy. Rhonda's due date is Aug. 10 so we are getting closer.


We are heading out of town again on Thursday for a 4 day trip to the beach. Donnie has a conference/trade show on the East Coast - so the kids and I are tagging along. We are all looking forward to it - but I am hoping and praying that no one else gets this stomach virus.

Ending with a scripture . . .

"When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.”
Genesis 9:16
Thankful for the rainbows after the rain,

29 comments:

Pam said...

Bless your heart! I always say I can handle anything but 'the throw up'.... can't even imagine.. esp not at home! Will be praying nobody else comes down with it. Maybe you could carry a bucket or bag or two just in case. ; )

Carmen said...

Heather,
It sounds like you had a rough weekend. I have had some trips like that. Devin looks happy with his medal and I do understand being happy with second place, lol. I'm glad that you and Allie are recovering from your virus. Gracie got me to put pictures of her new puppy on my page, she said she wanted the boys to see her puppy. Have a good week....
Your Friend,
Carmen

Teresa said...

Heather,

So sorry about the stomach virus! No fun at all. Okay, so this is my first time to ever comment on your blog. I read Jacob's blog for at least two years (I guess) and have been reading yours since you started it. A friend of mine gave me the link to Jacob's page and that is how I found y'all (yes, I live in Texas).

I look forward to reading each day. You do such a great job with your page. I just recently started a blog of my own, but am just learning my way around it.

Thank you for being such a great inspiration to me!

Teresa

Maggie - Mom of Six said...

During times like that, i just have to remind myself life is definitely an adventure when you have a lot of kids! Glad things are getting better. Congrats on the 2nd place! Our all-star games start tonight.

Tim said...

Oh Heather, all I can say is... ewwww! I remember you writing about your 'thing' with feet and trimming your kids' nails. My 'thing' is when someone gets sick on or near me. We too have thrown out a carseat or two (or three!) for the very same reason. I'm sooo happy that both you and Allie are better and that she has a smell-free carseat :O) Your cup is definitely half-full!!!

Our Two Blessings From Above said...

I hope you and Allie feel better soon. Sorry to hear you had such a hard weekend.
Tell Devin great job in bringing home a medal. Second place is awesome!
Have a great weekend on the East Coast. Happy to hear all is going well with your future baby nephew.
Take care.

Bobbi said...

Poor Allie. It is awful to be sick, then not at home is even worse!! And, a bruise to boot.

Hope you are feeling better and that noone else gets sick over the weekend. I honestly do not know how you are doing it. Your kids are so lucky to have a Mom who is so willing to just get up and go. You inspire me to remember the important parts of life. When they are grown they won't care if the house was disted, but they will care if they can remember fun family times.

This baby has to be active.....he is coming inot a pretty busy family!!!!

HOpe this trip is all GOOD!!!

Tenille Rauls said...

All the way over in Arkansas we were dealing with the stomach bug too! Not fun~ My first as a mommy....what an experience. Hope you guys get better soon and have a wonderful vacation! Blessing, Tenille
http://tenille.blogplot.com

MLP said...

Bless your hearts!!! WOW...I am hoping and praying that none of your boys get the stomach bug especially with your trip on Thursday!

You ended your post so beautifully ~ as usual. You always brighten my day!

Jodee said...

Oh my goodness! What a rough weekend. I hope you are both feeling better soon!

Reba said...

Wow! You had quite a weekend! I understanome. d (as a mom) that 2nd place is a good place to be. Poor little Allie! Stomach viruses are no fun, but they are even worse not at home. And poor Mom...it is so hard being a mom while being sick. I hope everyone else stays healthy and that you have a fun trip to the East coast! Can't wait to hear all about it and see more pictures.

Reba

Anissa Mayhew said...

Congrats to Devon! What an accomplishment.

Poor Allie and Mommy!! Yeah, that smell of vomit just never quite goes away. Peyton threw up in the truck so much during the rougher bouts of chemo that it was a relief to get rid of the truck....love that new car smell!

We missed you a lot today, talked about that sweet baby girl of yours and how big the boys are getting. I hope to see you at the meeting this week!

Praying you continue to see the rainbows, my friend.

Love,
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

Susan said...

Oh Heather,

My heart goes out to you!! The joys of traveling with the children, and surprise viruses!

I'm so GLAD you are feeling better, (mom's do NOT have time to get sick!) and baby girl is on the mend.

I pray NO ONE else gets this bug.

I also pray your up coming trip is one filled with lots of GOOD weather, laughter, and no sickness.

Looking forward to hearing ALL about it, plenty pictures please!!

Love you♥

PS No matter what you go through, I always see Jesus shinning through. Loved that rainbow!!!

Mom Of 3 said...

I needed that poat today! I am so sorry that the trip didnt go as planned. I am glad you are all feeling better, and can have such a great outlook on things. I have said it before and will say it again. You are an insperation!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on 2nd place!
And it's just like the Lord to give you a rainbow just when you needed it most!
Know that I care so much and continue to pray!
Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

Amanda said...

Oh noo.. the boys and I had that bug about 3 weeks ago. Ben had to stay home from work and help out cause I was knocked out in bed.

Your pictures are beautiful as always! Have a great 4 day weekend again.. maybe better luck this time?!! ;)

Kelly said...

So sorry that Allie (and then you!) got sick! That is no fun! I've got a horrible cold right now that I caught from Jenna. It always seems like they want to do the most cuddling, snuggling and kissing when they are sick doesn't it? Poor babies!! Although my cold is nothing compared to your stomach virus. I hope you feel better soon and I pray that no one else in your house gets it! Get some rest!!! And thanks for the congratulations!

Stephanie said...

Heather-
Congrats to Devin for winning second place. I can so relate to your happiness over not winning 1st. Well, that just sounds bad but you know what I mean. I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles and especially that you and Allie were sick. I hope that everyone is 100% soon.

Thanks for your comment over on my blog. I can't seem to find your email address anymore. Would you mind sending me an email when you get a moment? Stephanie@angelstouchphotography.com I'd love to do your nephew's newborn pictures (I travel) and I'd like to know if I can make a tutu for Miss Allie.

Have fun at the beach!

Rebekah said...

Oh My what a trip! How in the world did a car end up in the hotel pool in the 1st place? And poor little Allie - I am sure she just felt crummy and being away from home plus feeling crummy makes it worse ... I am sorry she passed it on to you Heather but I am sure you'd rather have it than her ... sounds like an interesting trip - you need a vacation from your 'vacation' ... Hope things are well today! Congratulations Devin on 2nd Place ... WAY TO GO! I loved all the pictures .... hope your week is going well!

Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2 TOO!

Lakeville Vertical said...

Poor Allie and poor mommy too!
I know how fun those days are. When my little guy was just under a year old all 3 of my children came down with the stomach flu within hours of each other and proceeded to throw up for 24 hours. It was the worst we've ever had it here. 3 children throwing up simultaneously is so not fun!
Hoping that the boys stay well and that your beach trip is wonderful. Hang in there. :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS to Devin, 2nd place is great! Miss Allie, sorry to hear you and your Mommy are under the weather, hope your tummy's feel better real soon and you enjoy the beach! Hugs from Fort Worth!

Sarah said...

Oh Heather! So sorry about the stomach bug... it sounds horrible for Miss Allie and mommy! I hope her little cheek is healing up quickly! Sophie's eye is still bruised from her injury almost 4 weeks ago!

Congratulations to Devin and Donnie for their 2nd place WIN! That is awesome! I know how you feel about the relief that the season is over... it is wonderful for them to stay in the game, but the season seems to overtake the summer relaxation plans... I was a little sad that G gave up baseball this year...

LOVE the rainbow... amid all the chaos, it is nice to be reminded of His promise to us. I am thinking that maybe your Jacob convinced Him to send it to you!

Have a great time at the beach! I hope we can meet up next month!

Lyndsay said...

Ugh. There's nothing worse than a baby's first stomach virus. Poor Allie!Poor Mommy!!
Hope you are both feeling better and that the boys have avoided your germs!

Melanie said...

Oh, Heather.. my goodness.. what a weekend! I totally know how you feel about Allie's stomach virus. My 3 yr old did the same about 3 months ago when we were at a b-day party for a friend of my son's. We both were covered and away from home with no change of clothes! And, then, she threw up two more times in her car seat on the way home. Ahh..yes.. the joys of motherhood! ;)

Yea for 2nd place and I hope your trip coming up is much, much smoother.

Have a great day!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Heather~
Awh...I remember the days of the sports travel teams. Congrat's to Devin (he's sucha cutie) and his team. Way to go!!

I'm SO sorry to hear about Baby Girl getting sick. NO fun!!! I hope she is doing better...an that you have an amazing long weekend this weekend too!!

Kim~

Robyn said...

What a rough week!! Hope you are both feeling better!!

Robyn

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Uggh! That sounds just awful. My kids got the Norwalk VIrus at school this year (that is the cruise ship one) and they were doing the same thing. It was really rough.

Take care of yourself. I am typing this as I nurse what I will find out tomorrow when I go to the DR. is indeed strep throat. Sometimes it is hard for us Moms to focus on ourselves. Nothing like a fever and the inability to talk to allow me to sit back and enjoy those Greys Anatomy's I have on my Tivo!

Jennifer said...

Oh Heather! I feel for you. I'm glad you and Allie are feeling better and will say a little prayer for Kyle to be on the mend soon too. Keeping my fingers crossed that Donnie, Devin, and Brandon stay well!

~Jennifer

Christina said...

Congrats on the 2nd place and all the GOOD- rats for all the BAD! So sorry everyone's getting the bug :( Hope you are all recovered and better for your beach weekend! We're in full "June Gloom" here, not great beach weather yet- but soon! LOVE the rainbow shot!
Have fun!!
Christina