Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Best Days of My Life

My house is always NOISY . . .

Kids running.
Baby crying.
TV blaring.
Phone ringing.
Boys laughing.
Baby squealing.

My house is always FULL of kids . . .


6-10 kids in the house - EVERYDAY . . .
friends of the boys
(Do you know how LOUD a group of boys are??) ;)
And neighborhood girls who show up just to play with Allie.

Usually I am doing about 5 things at once . . .


folding clothes,
changing diapers,
solving disagreements,
making lunch,
checking e-mails,
finding toys,
playing games,
reading books,
singing songs,
vacuuming.

This is my LIFE . . .

complete chaos,
loud,
crazy,
busy.

There are times I find myself . . .

craving silence,
dreaming of being stranded on a deserted island,
wanting to lock my bedroom door,
needing Calgon to take me away.

But then I remember . . .

that one day they will all grow up,
their friends will go home,
they will not need me quite so much,
the house will be silent, and
I
will
miss
them!

I will miss the . . .


noise,
the sound of little feet on the stairs,
the fingerprints on my sliding glass door,
the laughter that fills the house,
the endless hugs throughout the day
the thousand questions I am asked,
hearing them yell, "Momma,"
and call out "I love YOU."

So I will embrace the . . .


chaos & noise,
messes and spills,
the loud days,
and busy times.

Because I realize that these are days filled with . . .


togetherness,
love,
family,
fun,
memories to last a lifetime.

These are . . .

The
Best
Days
Of
My
Life.

And I thank God for them!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather, I couldn't agree more!!
With 5 kids running through the house there's ALWAYS things to be done and things going on. BUT, the days fly by so quickly and my oldest is already 14!! These ARE wonderful days! Thanks for the reminder!!

I have LOVED all your posts and am so very glad you blog. I would miss you and your family terribly if you stopped. Keep sharing your faith and your heart. You are a shining example of a godly woman to so many.

Thanks for blessing us with your words of wisdom and letting us have a peek at your family's life.
All the pictures are wonderful.

Have a fabulous weekend.
Hugs from MN,
Janet DeRosier

Anissa Mayhew said...

Beautiful, Heather. These days of craziness are going to pass us by so quickly, and we are ever reminded to hold each one precious.

Thanks for the blessing
Anissa@Hope4Peyton

Amanda said...

I think most of us Mother's couldn't agree with you more and could have written the same thing! How special each child is!

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog today. Always look forward to your posts!

Julie Lynn said...

I really, really enjoy your sweet blog. I have been reading it for so long that I cannot even remember how I found it. I followed Jacob thru his illness and healing in heaven and followed you here to this blog. I just wanted to thank you for your sweet words and amazing faith. I just love seeing pictures of little Allie--she reminds me so much of my 15 month old. Well...mine is blond and blue eyed, but their expressions are so similar! God bless you and your family!

Love,
Julie

queen foodie said...

So beautifully said and so true. I can't wait to kiss my monkeys tomorrow at about 1:30ish when I'm home from my conference.

Lynn said...

Oh my do you need to enjoy this now! I blinked and only have one child home now! We moved up to Seattle about 6 years ago, with 6 kids. Since we've been here 4 have gotten married, 3 have bought houses, 5 have moved out...two have had children...way to much change in way too short a time! Moral of the story? DON'T BLINK!!!!!!!!
The Lord will be with you always! I'll be here praying!
Psalms 23:4-6 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Prayer Bears

Victoria said...

You have such a wonderful gift in expressing yourself with words Heather. This will be something the boys will treasure when they are older.. I am glad to know that you understand how quickly these days will pass. One day you will turn around and you sweet boys and baby girl will be all grown up. I still wonder how the time flew by so fast with Marc and Sarah. No one will remember how clean the house was, but they will hold tight to the warm memories of laughter, smiles, grandparent, and fun with parents who showed their love everyday..
You are such a blessing to you husband, children and extended family and you touch so many lives through you words you share. Thank you for being the woman God created you to be and letting HIS light shine through your life touching so many others.
May you always see and enjoy the blessings and joys given just for today. May you keep your focus on the TRUTH. and May your joy bubble over to all those you meet.
Victoria Charbonneau
http://kazakhvictoria.blogspot.com

Allison said...

Awee that made me tear up. I long for caos in my life :) Enjoy while you can.

Constance said...

Dear Heather,
I am in that place down the road that you described. Our youngest daughter Laura (we have 3) is getting married and moving out in November. Our "baby", Charles is almost 18, a Senior now in High School. I fully realize that a year from now, we will be preparing to send him off to college and my heart aches over the thought of that. At least I have this one last year with him. After that, it will just be Dave & I.

I can't say once again since I was a single mom with 2 girls when we met so we never had time for just the 2 of us. In the last couple of years we've been investing more & more into our own relationship and interests so we aren't strangers once "The Bub" is off at college. Still, I know that a part of me will long for the days like yesterday when I came home from work and there were all of these teenage boys, almost grown men now, sprawled all over the living room playing X-Box, eating pizza rolls and drinking up our soda. One day this house is going to be WAY too quiet and I will long for the chaotic days of when my children were young and still needed me.

Connie

Jodee said...

I couldn't agree more! These are the best days of our lives!

Whenever I do have a minute to myself, I honestly don't know what to do! I almost feel lost without them!

Bobbi said...

You are so right. You know, I often crave "away time" But, when I get it I am kind of miserable. I miss them. Call to say hi, see what they are doing,and hear their voices. I too know that soon they won't be here and I will miss them so much.

But, there are those moments......

~Amy~ said...

That was sweet and a great description of my life. Thanks for sharing it.

Sally said...

Amen....I wouldn't change a single day of the chaos, the noise, the fights, the hugs, the fingerprints or the messes!!

The silence can be deafening!!!

I am a mom to an 11 year old girl, 7 year old boy and 4 year old boy....and somehow we have become the hangout house!! We love it!!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the reminder! You are SOOO right! These days are going by so quickly and it can be very overwhelming sometimes! But each day is a miracle and truly the moments will be remembered for a lifetime!

Rebekah said...

Heather I am speechless ... only thing I can say is WELL SAID! How blessed we all are to have such great little people in our lives - big ones too! Have a great weekend!

Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2 TOO~

Carmen said...

Heather it is the best days of your life. I miss my kids, my house is so quiet now. I have Gracie, but I used to have Heather, Rodney, my sisters 3 boys, my step-children and all their friends. It was noisy, but great. I know it gets hard sometimes, but it is worth it. I would love to do it all over again. When Gracie's not here, I'm lost. It's to quiet... Her school starts back on August 6th, I miss her already. Enjoy your family Heather, times goes by so fast.
Carmen

Pam said...

Wow. you took the thoughts right out of my head! You win in the chaos area, I have only three, but they are all under the age of 5 so it is a circus in its own right! Thanks for helping me remember how important it is to enjoy right now, because in an instant they are too big and to cool to hang out with mom!

krueth said...

Hi Heather,
I am a lurker, but I love your posts, and especially todays, cause the kids grow up way to fast and there are days when I just would love to have the house full of my kids and there friends again, more than just a friend over on the weekends when they are home for a visit. You are a true example of a loving mother and wife and Godly woman. Wendy

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at the "do you know how loud a group of boys are?" I'm always amazed that my 2 boys make so much more noise than my 3 girls and their friends!
At any rate, I enjoy reading your blog and you have such a great outlook on life. Thanks for being so uplifting and inspiring.
Your family is beautiful!

Kat said...

Heather, I so needed to read your words today. What you shared touched my heart and was truly a message from God to me. I am an empty-nester (two grown kids) and enjoy my solitude. However, three weeks ago my 25-year-old daughter decided to leave her abusive husband (thank you, Lord, a true answer to prayer!) and moved in with us. She has 15-month-old twin boys and a two-month-old boy. Talk about chaos!!! It's wild here and I will admit to feeling more a bit overwhelmed and longing for my quiet, clean house again. But your words reminded me that this is a safe and happy haven for my daughter and sweet grandsons, and there is no place I would rather them be. The noise, the crying, the mess are all worth it to know they are out of harm's way. And those little guys are such a joy and will grow up in the blink of an eye. Your post reminded me that it is a privilege for my husband and I to be part of their lives. I thank you for your beautiful words of wisdom. I will certainly remember them when I'm stepping on toys or hearing the baby wail ... these boys are God's gifts and I am grateful to have them! You are precious, Heather, not just in God's sight but in the eyes of so many of us cyber-friends out here who look forward to seeing your sweet boys and precious Allie and hearing all about your wonderful lives! Thank you for sharing your heart.
~Kathy
Richardson, Texas

~Amy~ said...

I have left you a little something special over at my blog...... Thanks for Blessing me.

Audra said...

Thank you SO MUCH for that reminder! I do LOVE the chaos, sometimes I forget to embrace it, Like today! I'm off to go snuggle and wrestle with my kids :)
Have a Blessed, Wonderful weekend, My friend!
Much Love
Audra

MLP said...

WOW...so, so true! Thanks for sharing!!!