Allie has always been a great sleeper. From the moment we brought her home at 6 months, she has slept through the night. What a blessing that is for me - because I do love my sleep. :)
However, Allie does have those occasional nights when she wakes up - crying for me. I usually wake up slightly irritated that my sleep has been interrupted - but any irritation melts away when I hear her sweet voice say, "Mama" and see her little arms reaching for me.
I always snuggle with her in the rocking chair as she curls into my arms with a sleepy smile. I savor this time with her - when she smells so baby soft and is so snuggly sweet in my arms. It is during these late-night cuddles - when the house is quiet and dark - that I find tears sliding down my cheeks because I am overwhelmed with thankfulness and love for my baby girl.
I have talked many times about the power of grief . . . how is attacks out of no where and can bring me to my knees in pain because I miss Jacob so much. But I have learned the power of love is even stronger. The feeling of love can wash over me . . . filling my heart . . . making me cry happy tears and bringing me to my knees in thanksgiving. I can't imagine my life without Allie.
I am so thankful for the blessing of adoption . . . for the gift of another child. Words just can't express the joy Allie has brought into our home at a time when our hearts were hurting so badly. Her giggles and hugs brighten our days. And she brings out the absolute best in all of my boys. She has taught her brothers to nurture, to be compassionate, to protect and to love unconditionally. She is a reminder of God's goodness every single day.
And I have to share a quick story about Kyle. He came to Donnie & I the other day - with his hands full of all of his money . . . all $58. :) He gave us the money and told us that he really thinks we should adopt another baby and he was giving us his money to help pay for it! I can't tell you how that simple action and those words touched my heart . . . letting me know that adoption has been a blessing to the boys as well! :) Oh, how I love this boy! His heart is so good.
Many people have asked me why we adopted. That is hard to answer . . . because it is just something I have always wanted to do. In fact, I used to beg my mom and dad to adopt because I wanted a little sister. They got me a dog instead. :) And Donnie and I have talked about adopting ever since we got married. It bothers me greatly to think of a child growing up without a family . . . can you imagine Allie living in an orphanage? That thought hurts my heart. That thought makes me want to adopt!
Also, I have always wanted a big family . . . and being a mother was always my dream. Some girls dream of being doctors and lawyers - but quite simply and honestly, I just wanted to be a mom. And I have learned how very important and difficult that job is. I love being a mom! Now that doesn't mean I am always good at it - some days I fail miserably . . . But my heart is most happy when I am with my family. And I thank God everyday for choosing me to be the mother of my 5 children - I am honored and humbled to be their mom and often don't feel that I deserve such wonderful blessings.
Before Jacob got sick, we knew we wanted to have another child or two - but we put those plans on hold during his illness. And after Jacob passed away, the timing seemed right to bring another child into our family. Emotionally, I did not think I could handle a pregnancy. The triplets birth was difficult causing some damage to my cervix which made me high risk for a premature birth if I were to get pregnant again. I had lived in fear of losing Jacob for the past 2 years . . . I did not want to live in fear of losing a baby for the next 9 months. Not to mention - I desperately wanted a break from doctors and hospitals. So Donnie and I started to research adoption options!
And the more we researched - the more we knew God was calling us to adopt! Our process went pretty smoothly - with only a few bumps in the road. God placed just the right people in our lives to help us with the process and He blessed us with an amazing peace during our adoption. The wait for Allie wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be . . . it was such an exciting time and I am so thankful that Allie was part of God's plan for our lives!
Many have asked if we would adopt again . . . and the answer to that is a definite YES! We would love to adopt again someday . . . but right now - we are enjoying this time with Allie and the boys. We will pray about adopting again . . . and trust in God's plan - whatever that may be!
We had an all-around great experience with Allie - but I know that isn't the case for everyone and I don't want to sugar-coat it for you. :) Adoption can be emotionally difficult and there is always a risk . . . but sometimes we have to take that leap of faith.
I thought I would share an e-mail I received a while ago. I'm not sure where it came from . . . but it is so true!
The Top 13 Reasons Why Adoption is For You!
1. The fact that there are 143 million children without a parent to kiss them goodnight has made you lose sleep.
2. You realize DNA has nothing to do with love and family.
3. You can’t watch Adoption Stories on TLC without sobbing.
4. The fact that, if 7% of Christians adopted 1 child there would be no orphans in the world, is convicting to you.
5. You spend free time surfing blogs about families who have experienced the blessing of adoption.
6. It drives you crazy when people ask you about adopted child’s “real” parents.
7. You have ever been “pregnant” with your adoptive child longer than it takes an elephant to give birth. (2 years!)
8. You had no idea how you would afford to adopt but stepped out in faith anyway, knowing where God calls you He will provide.
9. You have ever taken an airplane ride half-way around the world with a child you just met.
10. You believe God’s heart is for adoption.
11. You realize that welcoming a child into your heart and family is one of the most important legacies you could ever leave on this earth.
12. You know what the word “Dossier” means, and you can actually pronounce it!
13. You shudder when people say your child is so lucky that you adopted them, knowing full well you are the blessed one to have him or her in your life.
I often get a lot of questions about adoption - and I answered a few in this update. But if you have a question about adoption - feel free to leave it in the comments and I will do my best to answer you! Adoption is truly a blessing . . . a ministry . . . a gift and I am more than happy to share it with all of you.

Ending with a scripture . . .
"But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God."
John 1:12-13





34 comments:
To know so many children are out there without a home and a family breaks my heart. I wish I could provide and comfort all of them. What you did was nothing short from the will of God. It is easy to see what blessings He has bestowed upon your family. It makes me smile to know there are people out there that walk in His will and are able to hear His voice when says GO.
In Christ -
Allison
Heather -
You truly are an inspiration. You have a way of lifting my spirits every time I read your Blog. Thank you for that!
I recently stumbled upon your blog and have been so blessed by it. Your family truly inpsires me!My husband have also always wanted to adopt- and after reading your blog I feel that tugging on my heart that this could be the right time. I don't know how we would ever afford it- but I know that where HE guides HE provides!!!
Thanks for touching our hearts!
Jen :)
Heather~
Your family is such a true blessing. As I've read your journey....you can see God's handprint in it all.
What JOY it is, to have Allie in your life....she is truly a special gift from God, and what an amazing testimony to God's moving on Kyle's sweet...sweet....heart.
Thank-you, for sharing this amazing post.
Kim~
Heather, I have to tell you that watching you bring Allie home moved my heart and brought the idea of adoption into our family for the first time. We have two children, but I would love to bring another into our family. The timing is not right for us yet, but I feel an incredible peace about it, and know that God will show me when it is time to act. Thank you for sharing your story and being so open with all of us about it!
I am SO happy that you posted about this. I have wondered how you came about it all and made your decision to adopt. I just never wanted to step on any toes and ask the "wrong" questions when it wasn't my business. Your family is truely inspiring to so many of us. We can all see how much Allie lights up your world and you hers! I too was one of those young girls that never had a career I wanted to go into. I simply wanted to be a mother! It's good to hear other's say that too cause I always thought that was "odd" of me to feel that.. as if I was supose to have some other path in mind. How truely blessed we are. Thank you again for sharing this!
Hi Heather,
I have commented a few times on your blog, but this post has inspired me to leave a message!!
I was adopted almost 26 years ago and seeing your family makes me smile so much. I've followed your story since Jacob was sick and feel like I "know" you guys!
Being an adopted child is such a wonderful thing and I thank God every day for my parents - they love me and there is no question that they are my parents. When people ask me who my "real" parents are, I say that Mark and Lynn are my real parents. They have attended all my school plays, taken care of me in the middle of the night, dried my tears, given me hugs, and are the 2 people in the world I can count on for anything.
Wishing you a wonderful summer!!
Love,
Sarah
Heather,
I often come to your website to read the words that God has spoken through you. My husband and I have struggled with infertility for two years. We would like to know whatever information you can provide about your adoption process. Thank you for opening your life to share--it has truly blessed mine.
Sincerely,
Erin and Robert
What a TERRIFIC POST!!! You and I have such similar hearts. I am usually "amen"ing through everything I read here. ;0) HUGS! Angel
This blog entry made me cry. It reminded me of the times I used to cuddle Jenna in the middle of the night and cry because I was just so overwhelmed with love for her. You just can't explain that to someone who doesn't have children. It's impossible to describe that feeling. Now when she wakes up...I climb in bed with her and we cuddle and I enjoy it immensely.
What a great story about your love for Allie and how you came to the adoption decision.
Heather - today's post about adoption and the power of love you have as a mom touched me deeper than you can imagine ... I had never thought about adoption growing up or as an adult ... I was never sure I would make a good enough mom to a child so it never crossed my mind ... I do know that it pains me to think of so many prescious children growing up without a mom to snuggle with at night in the dark and quiet home ... thank you for bringing such a great perspective to light for me ... I, now, can not imagine my life NOT being a mom to Jaden ... she is my life and I only hope my heart expands twofold for Baby#2 ... Thank you Heather and God Bless!
Rebekah, Jaden & Baby#2 TOO!
That was so sweet of Kyle! Micah said something similar the other day - "Mom, when I'm older I don't want my wife to have that medicine so she doesn't have kids. I want my family to be just like ours." It's those moments when you feel like maybe you're doing something right! (although the fact that he somehow knows about birth control makes me cringe a little ;)
We continue to pray for guidance on adoption. There's an older sibling group out there for our home, we're just waiting for God to show us the where and when. It's so fun to see how Allie is blessing your lives!
Baby Joey is adorable! :-) Silas will have a buddy if/when we someday get the boys together for a visit.
Thanks for this post, Heather. For me, it's another confirmation. My husband and I have two amazing little girls (ages 3 1/2 and 15 months), and we will not be having additional biological children. However, I have felt such a tug in my heart toward adoption in the past several months. Reading stories like yours in blogs, learning more about Steven Curtis Chapman's organization Shaohannah's Hope, and feeling the longing for another child have all contributed to my curiosity. One prayer I prayed a few months ago is, "God, if this is something that you want our family to do, please let my husband feel the same way." Last weekend, as we traveled to my parents' house, John and I started a conversation that showed his heart is exactly where mine is! I was amazed at the confirmation of my longing. I have SO MANY questions and fears, but I imagine we'll have to take it one step at a time and see where God leads us. I'd love to send you my questions sometime. Let me know if that's okay. (Sorry so long!)
--Kelley (jandkland@cox.net)
queenkelley.com
I love this post...love your heart...love your message...and most importantly LOVE the power of LOVE!
Heather, if only we lived closer. We would be great friends. We too always knew we would adopt. And, another bio child would not be for us. The risk to my life was too much. Joe and I always say if we could afford it, we would bring them all home.
I too am not too impressed to drag myself out of bed (just last night), but found myself snuggling for just a few extra minutes and thanking God for the unanswered prayer. My wish had been for a girl, but my son is the completion of me.
Our girls too think we should adopt more......maybe one day.
This was a great post. What a wonderful son you have.
Wonderful post to read. I have tried answering that question so many times and it is difficult to explain why we adopted...at least the first time. After doing it once, it is easy to explain the second time...there is so much joy in uniting as a family. I too have been touched to see the compassion and understanding of my children. Lauren once commented that she thoguht she would adopt one day (she thinks childbirth sounds too painful)...and Hunter has asked when we will "get" another child. I have a feeling we are done but then I have said that at least two children before. :) Words truly cannot express the love I feel for all of my children, both bio and adopted. And as I have explained many times before, no, there is no difference.
Reba
What a sweet post! I cried when I read what Kyle said. You are blessed with amazing children, Heather. I know that you & Donnie have raised them well.
I don't sign in very often but I read EVERY post!
Allie is just growing by the day and so are the boys! Looks like y'all are having a FUN filled summer.
Praying, Believing & FROGing-
Zhohn
I would love to adopt, unfortunately I'm in Australia and it is an extremely difficult process, nothing like the US :( It really is a tragedy that so many children grow up without parents, while so many would-be parents long for one of those children, but red tape and the insane cost keep them apart. Really sad. Allie seems to be such a blessing to your family.
On another note, Heather have you ever considered doing a question-and-answer day? You get so many questions you could have a Heather FAQ blog day! Might save you a few emails too ;)
What Kyle did made me cry!
You're in the Lord's Hands! Praying!
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Hi Heather,
How ironic that you shared this since I had actually been wondering what prompted you to adopt or if it was something that you were starting when Jacob got sick. Thanks for sharing!
I have a lovely adoption story about some friends of ours. Theresa can not sustain a pregnancy due to health issues and severe risk to a fetus from her medications. She and her husband Lee decided to adopt. They had the green light and visited us when we were living in Colorado and were picking up their baby girl on the way home back to Nebraska where we used to live (Lincoln). While in Colorado they got the devastating news that the birth mom changed her mind at literally the last minute! They were crushed!
Theresa had to go home to an empty nursery. A month or so later, they got a phone call that said they were being considered by another unwed pregnant young woman to adopt her child. Theresa was pretty much like, "Whatever!" No way was she putting her heart out there on the line again, she had resigned herself to not ever being a mother.
The young woman met with them just once and when her baby was born she called them asking if they wanted him circumcized? Theresa began to have a flutter of hope that they actually had a son. They brought McLean home from the hospital and because it was an open adoption they stayed in contact with the birth mother.
Two years later the birth mother was asked by her Pastor to counsel a young, unwed woman who was pregnant. She met with her and brought the scrapbooks that Theresa had lovingly made for her about McLean. She shared with her the true blessing of adoption. All of this was unknown to Theresa and Lee.
Imagine their surprise to get a call from this woman asking them if they would like to adopt her baby girl? She had been so impressed with how they had this relationship with Mick's birth mother and thought,
"Who better to have this child then them?"
Needless to say they had to scramble and put together a nursery. A couple of days later, they brought their daughter Lawlor home form the hospital!!!
Isn't that just an amazing story? Their son was responsible for their obtaining their unplanned daughter! They felt blessed to just have a child and suddenly they had 2! Mick is 15 and Lawlor is 12 now.
I just had to share!
Connie
Oh my! You have given me fuel for my next blog. I'm going to snag your email to share on my blog as I share our adoption experience. Our girl is definitely a blessing to us.
I was the little girl that only dreamed of being a Mom also. I share your sentiments. With a teenager in the house I am really failing miserably. I know that I am doing what God wants me to do though.
I'm loving these daily entries from you. Oh, and Kyle is a lover. How sweet of him to offer his money. He will make an awesome Dad some day.
Heather... you did it again... poignantly wrote down perfectly what so many of us feel but cannot express. The Power of Love is amazing... when I look at my Sophie, I cannot imagine not having her in our family... I know for certain that God knew perfectly the plan he had for our family all along and led us to the perfect child for our family. We, as His servants, need only to listen to those tugs in our heart... they very may well be his whispers letting us know what it is we need to do. The miracle of adoption still takes my breath away.
And, I feel so honored that I helped in any way bring you towards your beautiful, sweet blessing, Allie. I can tell that she was given the gift of healing to share with her family and He brought her to you in His perfect timing. He knew you needed her home quickly and blessed you with an uncomplicated case, which we all know, is a blessing in itself.
I love the scripture you chose for this post... it is just perfect. I can't wait for the day where our hugs can be shared in person and we can sit and watch our beautiful ebony haired daughters run around and play together. Oh, how wonderful that will be!
Love, hugs and FROG!!!
Heather,
I didn't know why you chose to adopt, but I understand why you did. I wouldn't want to think of Allie growing up without the love of a real family. I can see how blessed your family is to have her, and you needed a girl, even if she is so out numbered by boys. She has more protection than a girl needs, lol. Tell Kyle I said that was so sweet of him to give his saving to get a new baby, it brought tears to my eyes. He has a big heart.... Allie has helped me find so many other adopted families, blogs I follow weekly. So because of Allie, I know so many other families. She has blessed my life in so many ways to.
Carmen
Heather,
I CANNOT believe I've missed so many posts.. I knew I was behind, but WOW!
Okay.. before I forget, I think you asked what size Allie Grace was in. She's still wearing some 3-6 months, but is starting to wear some 6-9. It's just CRAZY how quickly they grow. She melts my heart each time I see her smile and I just LOVE to hear her LAUGH! I can totally understand how the love of a new baby can help to fill part of a tremendous void in our hearts. (I LOVED the poem you shared about the little boy and the fireworks... I too hope that Brent is so "caught up" in the atmosphere of Heaven and being in GOD'S presence that he doesn't even know we're apart)
Now, I'm wondering about Allie's re-adoption. Is that something that you needed to do legally? I'm not sure I understand that. (Don't worry if you don't have time to explain) I'm really slow and sometimes I just miss things that are RIGHT in FRONT of me. O=-)
Oh, and CONGRATS to Rhonda and your brother. Oh my, what a HANDSOME baby boy! I know you're all so blessed to have another baby in the family.
Okay.. I guess I'll go for now. I'd like to attempt to update my blog today. (Hehehe... I'm ASHAMED that I've been off so much lately)
You guys take care of yourselves? We love you and are ALWAYS praying!
Hi Heather,
Oh how precious! I want to send you a private message, but I've deleted your address :O( Can you email me? I think you have my address. Blessings, Tracie
Heather ~ What a beautiful entry! I can't put my finger on it..but there is just something about Allie...she was sooo meant for YOU and YOUR family! I just KNOW she was your gift from God. I too have such a burden for adoption (I have 5-year-old triplet boys)....those 13 reason really speak to me...but I just don't know how in the world we or many other families AFFORD it?!? With so many children needing families...that has always been very frustrating to me. How did God provide or your family financially?
I haven't been able to comment in a while, although I always check in on you and your family. I want to say I truly admire your family.
Your family's faith is inspiring.
The lastest entry about adoption is wonderful. Kyle is way too sweet and I can only imagine how it made your heart melt. What a sweetheart you are raising :) Some girl will be very lucky some day ;)
I was never able to have another child after my son. I have always wanted another child but God had other plans. We have always thought about adoption. The timing just isn't right, right now. But I have definitely thought more and more about it because of reading your relationship with Allie.
I hope one day we are able to adopt and have a beautiful son or daughter placed in our arms.
Keep blogging. I know you just write from your heart, but you are truly inspiring.
Thank-you for sharing your story...continuously! You are a blessing to so many readers as we see your faith and love for GOD shine!!! My extended family has been touched by adoption...what a beautiful thing to watch GOD orchestrate! Also, thank-you for sharing your grief process as well. I just spent the last thirty minutes reading Angie's story about little Audrey. Are you familiar with this story? If not, check it out sometime. Be blessed!
http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/
Blessings!
Tracy
Oh Heather,
You NEVER cease to amaze me!!! This post was so heartfelt and I was deeply touched again by your beautiful tender heart!
I'm just so grateful the Lord gave you the gift of Allie. I love knowing how much JOY she brings to you and your entire family, and even all of out here too!
Thanks once again for inspiring us, and causing us to praise GOD for all His goodness.
Hope you are having a great weekend♥
PS Please pinch those precious fat cheeks of Allie for me, and give Devin a big high five, what a tender heart he has!!
I enjoyed reading this post. Adoption is such an amazing thing, and no, I can't imagine Allie in an orphanage! She was the perfect addition to your family! You are so blessed!
Heather,
I read your latest blog and I have thought and thought so much. I know that there is another child out there that belongs to my heart. But I just don't know how to jump into adoption. As you know, Amanda is 16 and Adam is 13. They have beedn begging me to adopt as well. But I can barely afford my life as it is. We will just have to wait and see what happens. But I look at your joy and know that there is more out there for me.
Lauren
Kyle, bless your little heart. How sweet of you to offer your money to adopt another sibling. You made my day kiddo!
Heather,
I have been following your posts for nearly three years now. I'd read part of your adoption post the other day, but read through it entirely tonight. That's when I really GOT IT....
I'm mom to one amazing 5-year old boy. Due to a financial 'tragedy' (job loss) 3 years ago, my husband and I had to put the idea of having a second child on the back burner. I have a job that isn't exactly safe during pregnancy, nor do I receive paid maternity leave. I've spent the last few years agonizing over repaying debt and wanting to have another child.
A month ago, our church did baby dedications. One of the families dedicated their 3 month old (adopted) son. Something in me moved that I'll never forget. It was as though God said "here's the answer". Adoption? Really?
My initial discussion with my husband was difficult. He didn't handle it well and sat in shock after I reviewed why we should adopt rather than have another child of our own. Due to finances, our best bet may be to foster-adopt. The need here in California is so very great!
Last week we were at a birthday party. My husband actually mentioned the idea of us adopting to one of his cousins! I was floored (and so proud of him)!
As a general idea, I'm interested in finding out what the financial costs of private/international adoption are. I've always been told they are so high. Yet I see so many people willing to open their homes and hearts for little ones from all over the world.
Seeing your pictures of Allie with the boys (even with the age difference between them) gives me hope of one day having a little girl welcomed into our family.
Thank you so very much for sharing your family and faith with me. You have no idea what an impact your words typed in FL mean to a woman reading in CA.
God Bless You!
Angie
Heather,
I don't post often, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for this post. I emailed you shortly after you adopted Allie to ask you questions.
We finally started the adoption process this year. Right now, it's just all the paperwork, but the paperwork is so worth it knowing what the result will be. It seems when I have a question regarding how things will come together for the adoption, God puts the answer right in front of me.
Thank you for always writing such an inspiring blog.
Becky
Post a Comment