Monday, July 7, 2008

Why Do You Blog?

Hello friends,

I follow several blogs on a weekly basis. Each of these blogs are very different, yet I love checking in on all of them. Some give me a spiritual lift, some give me a good laugh, some inspire me, and some I relate to because they lost a child or adopted or have a lot of boys!

Reading these very different blogs makes me wonder why I blog. It was easy to explain why I had Jacob's Caringbridge site . . . His site was to keep family and friends updated on Jacob's progress while he was sick . . . and now it is a way for us to keep his memory alive . . . to remember him and share our journey through grief.

But this blog, Faithful Froggers, has a completely different purpose than Jacob's Caringbridge site. This blog is truly my journal. It is about our day-to-day life . . . it is a way for me to remember what we have done, the good days and the bad! And it is a way for me to keep my pictures organized - because I am a terrible scrapbooker. Yes, I take a lot of pictures, but I am not good at organizing them at all! My blog is personal - a place to share my feelings, my faith and my family.

However, I am not a very public person . . . I am more of an introvert. And when I am writing, I don't think of who is reading my blog - I just think of what I want to document and share with my family. My blog is for me . . . my own personal scrapbook and journal of our life. I love having this place to share my thoughts and pictures so that one day I will have it to share with my children. Hopefully they will want to read it! :)

But I have learned that I truly enjoy blogging - mostly because I love to write. Yep, I was the type that always kept a diary when I was growing up. It was just so relaxing to me to write at the end of everyday . . . and I still find it therapeutic. Whether I have a good day or bad day, I find myself drawn to the computer . . . itching to write about it. Writing is a part of who I am and I would probably be journaling with or without a computer and a blog!

I also love the fact that blogging brings us all together . . . it connects us as friends all over the world! How neat is that? And I have learned so much from many of you. I can never thank you enough for reaching out to us time and time again - praying for us, sharing your lives with us and being our friend.

Of course there is a down-side to blogging . . . and that is the fact that it makes you vulnerable. Sharing so much of our lives makes some people feel the need to judge or criticize. I am very thankful that in the 4 years I have been journaling - we have received so much wonderful support. But we still have the occasional negative comment . . . some people who feel they have the right to tell me what to post on my blog. :) Some people have attacked our religious beliefs, some have been offended by pictures of snakes, some people have told me I need more scriptures, some have told me not to post scriptures. Some people have told me to post more pictures, and some people have told me to post more updates. And because I am a little overly sensitive - some have hurt my feelings . . . but I have learned that I can't make everyone happy and that's okay. I have learned that this is my blog and it's okay to post what I want. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone - but I try hard not to judge others because of their differences - and I hope that you will do the same. I often find myself praying for those who are bitter and judgemental . . . that God will soften their hearts.

The bottom line is that everyone is different and they blog for different reasons. But I know that I really like to blog. Some days it is all pictures and fluff and some days I share my heart. Some days I share how God is working in my life and some days I share struggles I have as a mom. Some days I share about childhood cancer and some days I share a story about the boys. Some days I share about adoption and some days I share about Jacob. Some days I share my grief and some days I share my joys. But the bottom line is . . . I blog because I enjoy it! I love to write and stay connected. I love having a journal of our lives and meeting new friends. I love to blog!


Why do you blog??



We had a wonderful weekend and I have so many pictures to share - hopefully I'll have time to update tomorrow!

GREAT NEWS . . .Baby Joey is home and I finally got to hold him! He is such a tiny peanut - only 5lbs, 8oz. But holding him is pure Heaven! :) I just can't tell you how good he feels!

Ending with a scripture . . .

"But by the grace of God I am what I am . . ."
1 CORINTHIANS 15:10

Only by His grace,

57 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started reading your Caringbridge blog and followed you to this one. I love reading your stories and seeing all your pictures. I have a four year old little boy so I love reading about all of yours! Don't let others get you down about your blog. It's yours to do the way you want to. I'm always surprised how critical people can be.

Ann said...

I started my blog 2 years ago to keep family and friends updated on my son's spinal fusion surgery. Two years later, I'm still blogging. I find it very therapeutic. Like you, sometimes I just post pictures, sometimes I share my deepest thoughts of being the parent of a medically fragile/special needs child and a lot of the time I just like to share all my kids with those who read. Occasionally, I'll ask myself, "why am I doing this?". I don't begin to get the number of hits you do, but I do know that I have many people who check in on us and some who post comments (I don't get too many comments, but can track "hits" like you from Sitemeter). There are times I feel like I should stop, but I try and not worry who is reading and why, but do it because it's helpful to me and someday, I hope to incorporate some of my more "profound" entries into a book. I've already had a couple of my "blog thoughts" published in online journals. I guess I'll continue to blog until I no longer enjoy it.

I agree with you 100%, this is your blog and the only person who's opinion counts is yours! (not that we don't like validation every now and again :-)

Keep on blogging.

Ann

Acutescrubnurse said...

Heather,
You are an awesome blogger, and I hope that someday I will be able to blog and share feelings as well as you do. I also am a private person, and have kept a Thank you journal in the past.
I do like to blog, as it is a reminder of what we have done, as well as the good days, and bad days that we have had. (it will really make my Christmas letter much easier this year!!)
Take care, and enjoy the week.

Belinda said...

I agree! Don't ever change, Heather. I love reading your blog and keeping up with your precious family. Of course, and also remembering amazing Jacob!

Leeann said...

Dear Heather,

As you know, I've been following your marvelous family for several years now. I love your writing and I honestly love your family!

As for why I blog, I do it to remember. I find that rose-colored glasses can be mighty easy to slip on (already!) and I also find that a lot of the funny things my kids do or say will be forgotten if they aren't recorded. I also blog as a means of meeting other moms and families and introducing them to us.

I hope that this record of our lives will be something my children will enjoy reading and that over time, they will read it with a different perspective...hopefully when they are one day parents themselves, even!

Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com

Sue said...

I am so glad you got to hold Joey finally and that he is home! Think of all the spoiling you are going to be able to do right on the home front. Your blog is amazing Heather. I of course was at one of the lowest points in my life and I reached out to Caringbridge through my friend Michelle Meyer's husbands site to help my own grief. Michelle had Jacob on her link page. I followed you to this blog. I find great strength in your ups, your downs, your celebrations and your every day happenings. Never stop and always know your cyber friends love you and pray for you as much as your family and friends. You are an inspiration. Your christianity inspires me. Thank You Heather.

frycountry said...

I love your blog. You inspire many. Thanks for sharing, thanks for the scriptures, and thanks for blogging.

May your week be blessed with all nice comments and if the others don't like what they see on your blog...let them choose not to view or read it.

Blessing to you and your family.

Beckie Fry-Omaha Ne.

Cari said...

I followed Jacob's Caringbridge site and eventually it led me here to Faithful Froggers. You've got the right idea...this blog is for you...it's YOUR virtual scrapbook and you've been extremely kind to share it with all of us. Don't let the occasional negativity get you down...the reason most of us continue to read your blog is because we genuinely enjoy reading what you write! You've got a beautiful family and I feel blessed that you've chosen to give us a glimpse into your lives.

Sarah said...

And I am SOOO glad you blog, Heather... otherwise, how would we have ever "met"?? I feel the same way about blogging even though I am not the writer you are... I use it as my personal journal and do not blog thinking about people really reading it. I love that you blog all the "real" stuff... the good, the bad, the sad, the joy and everything in between... someday maybe I will venture into the more difficult introspective stuff but for now, keep it light as I have little eyes at home that like to read too and some things are too big for them to read.

Big HUGS and forever FROGging!

XOXO

S

The Travelers Journal said...

I love following your blog! Good and bad days, pictures, scripture or anything you decide to do. It is real life. I smile just clicking on your blog when the pictures come up. I have followed your family a long time and feel like I know you. If I saw you in person, I would feel like we were already friends :)

I have blogged for a few years now. It started when my kids and I decided to become involved in flat travelers. Just like the Flat Stanly's school kids do. We are homeschoolers and ours are Flat Travelers. We started the blog as a journal for the traveling families. I have made great life long friends through this.

I understand about having too much information out there. We ended up having to stop journaling on my original blog becasue of problems from a couple of people. Mine today does not mention our names, but by pictures or links it is out there. I have decided to go with the positive and do it my way too :)

Now the kids are a little older and we don't flat travel much, but we still journal for the families we have become friends with. I can't imagine not doing it. It is real life that connects us all.

God bless you and your family!

Kelly said...

Girlfriend,

You keep on blogging the way YOU want to blog, which is the reason why I love checking in on ya'll. You are a gifted writer and have such a wonderful way of expressing yourself. Your writing and scriptures benefit us all and if someone doesn't realize the good in that or the meaning behind the words that are written then it is their loss.

When you have positively impacted this teacher and a classful of eager 2nd graders who learn from Jacob's story each and every year then you must be doing something right! They will remember collecting books for Jacob's Stocking long after they've left my classroom.

After 21 years of teaching, the most valuable lesson can't be found in textbooks, worksheets or TAKS tests. What I most look forward to teaching each year now is the lesson in giving, never giving up hope and reaching out to those in need w/ love and compassion. That is why Jacob's memory will never be forgotten at Mohawk Elementary because of one very special little boy. He has taught us so much and for that, I will always be grateful.

Love,
Kelly May

Auntie said...

Heather~
I have been reading your blogs for several years... since Jacob was sick and then went to Heaven. I enjoy your blogs so much--your honesty and your humor! I appreciate the personal glimpses into your lives, and I often find insiration from you and your family, and especially found it in Jacob. I blog--occasionally--and I do it to keep those in my family who live far away up-to-date on my children's activities and our day-to-day activities. Mine is not nearly as elequent as your blog, nor as insightful--just for fun!
Thanks for your blog and for sharing a bit of yourself and your family with us!


http://klimekchronicles.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'll never understand why people feel the need to hurt others. I've seen it over and over and over again and it really upsets me. Your response, of course, is the best. Praying for them! They have to have a lot of hurt in their lives to want to spread the pain to others.
Know that I'm continuing to pray!

2 Corinthians 1:3-5 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

Marianne said...

I also started with Jacob's Caringbridge site and fell in love with you and your family. My Mom always told me to just be myself and that people will say, think or do whatever they want. The only control I had was how I reacted to it. You are a very graceful person who I hope remains true to herself and doesn't worry about what some people may say. I love your stories about your children and you life and consider myself one of the lucky ones that you share them with. And as my Mom would also say,(she is a very smart lady), You Go Girl!!

Mom Of 3 said...

I love reading your blog. As you know I followed Jacobs site, and as soon as you started here I followed you here. I love all the pictures, all the stories , and how upbeat you are. Thank you for sharing!

Jenny said...

I found your blog through Angels and I think you are absolutely amazing! I enjoy reading your blog. I think you do an awesome job on your blog!

Musings from Me said...

I have a blog, but actually prefer reading other people's blogs. I am trying to write more frequently on my blog.

I have recently gone back and forth about how much information to post about my family. I have listed my children's names and our town, but recently removed some of this information. I am not entirely sure why. I suppose I like the anonymity of a blog and don't want anyone near and dear to me to be offended by what I write.

I have only started receiving comments, so have not had to experience the crazies that lurk around and leave offending messages. I can only say that you probably can't please everyone all the time, but as long as you enjoy the blogging progress all is well.

Jennifer said...

Perfectly said! Like I've said before, your blog and others, draw attention to me. At times, I relate to your writings, shed some tears, laugh at your "funnies", and so enjoy your pics. Your blog is you--and I thank you for sharing with me.

L said...

I was the least religious person you have ever met, I mean I was a truly judgmental person of religious people (I never posted a nasty comment though of course) but reading your blog over the years has completely changed my view on faith and religion. I had childhood cancer and can relate on a small level. I have never forgotten your blog entry the day jacob died and despite not knowing him personally, I was greatly comforted by the notion that he landed safely in the arms of jesus.

Marie said...

My goodness people have been offended by SNAKES?? I can understand people asking for more pictures or saying they want more updates, they are interested in the site and giving you feedback on what they'd like to see. But other than that...what a nerve to criticize your site. I'm not a Christian, but I respect your beliefs and I'm sickened by anyone who would judge anothers spiritual beliefs. I've never seen you forcing your beliefs on your sites, just saying what they mean to you.

If you don't like scripture, just read the update and skip the scripture! Whether Heather is a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Athiest that should not matter!!! It's called tolerance, people!

Tracy said...

As I was reading this, I thought you were going to tell us that you were stopping blogging and I was so sad! Yours is one of the first places I check when I turn the computer on. It never ceases to amaze me that people feel the right to critisize other peoples blogs! Dont let them get you down, you guys are amazing!

Allison said...

Well if you look at my blog you will see I am not good at it. I only have one entry - LOL. I knew I wouldn't be though - I can't seem to pull my thoughts out of my head and put them on paper or computer. I for one . . enjoy every update, every picture, every encouraging word, every scripture, everything about Allie and the boys. I have cried from this blog (well the other one), I have laughed, I waited with anticipation along with everyone else to hear about Allie's progress, I rejoiced at her homecoming. I truely hope you know how much you and your blog are worth . . . priceless. As for all the naysayers - there will always be people waiting and wanting to critize someone else that is what they strive for and it is sad. Maybe they just don't have the JOY like you and your family do. I have a saying "If you are expecting rain you better bring an umbrella". I am glad baby Joey is at home now - he doesn't know just how much he is loved yet - does he?

Allison

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I blog to maintain my sanity in an otherwise chaotic Twomey household. It helps me stay connected to my Airman son and really gives people some idea of where I'm "at" emotionally.

I blog for me and me alone. And yes, tons of people criticize/offer suggestions/complain/etc. But that doesn't change how/why I blog.

Hallie :)

Anonymous said...

I like many other people started reading Amazing Jacob site. Followed you on your journey to Allie. Your blog is the first one I check in the morning and multiple times through out the day. I don't usually comment but your faith inspires me. I am a mother of two small kids, and as I read your blog I could only wish that I were HALF the mother you are. Don't let other people get you down. You have a purpose and you and your family have touched so many lives. Thank you for sharing your feelings, kids and knowledge.
Melissa in GA

Bobbi said...

I too started my blog as my family journal. I used to scrapbook---when I had one child. With three who has time???? Those who do, I applaud you. In that blogging journey I have met many wonderful people who I consider "friends". I have been fortunate to meet some, share e-mails, etc. Cyber-friendships are easy.

I also enjoy reading other blogs. I find it relaxing. I enjoy hearing about other families and their journeys through life.

While it does make us vulnerable to others opinions, and the scary world out there I think that for many of us it is an outlet.

That is why I blog, and I am so glad that you do too!!!

Yeah for Baby Joey. Five pounds is what Reese was. Though I never cradeled him in my arms at that time, his pictures were just so teeny tiny!!

Pam said...

I can't believe people would say bad things about your blog. I love it! And I totally understand what you mean about posting different things on different days. One day it this something wonderful like a birth and another day might be..um.. something else. That's simply the way life is and if you want to document things, you'll cover a wide range of topics. And since faith is who you are, scriptures are a natural outpouring of that. I love that you post pics etc, but I, like some of the other commenters have chosen to be more anonymous. But that's a personal decision. I love your blog! Oh, wait.. I already said that! But it's true! : )

www.notesfromthewall.blogspot.com

Amy S. said...

Hi Heather,

OMG! I remember those comments being made and thought to myself that I could not believe how someone could type those words....and feel the same way when I read the guestbook entries on "P" site. They sure have to be "not nice people" to make such comments.

I blog mostly for my children to have something nice to read and remember as time goes on. I want Jonathan to always have something to look back on.

Keep up the good work my friend in blogging world....I enjoy visiting daily! I have to admit though I'm feeling a little old seeing how big the boys are now from way back when I first met you. :)

Love and Hugs.....

Carmen said...

Heather I love your blog and love reading about your family and looking at their pictures. I blog because I love my pictures and love putting them on here. I hope someday my children will want to read mine to. Somedays I have alot to say and somedays I don't. I always write whatever I want and put the pictures I like. You have so many people who read your blog, you will always have some negative comments. You are the sweetest person and you have a wonderful family. Everyone has their own faith or none at all, I never discuss religion or lack of. You have amazed me with your faith in god, you lost Jacob and yet you still have so much love for God. I read your blog because you inspire me and lift me up on days when I need it most. I truely enjoy reading your blog. I'm so happy baby Joseph is at home. I can't wait to see more pictures of him.
Your friend,
Carmen

Tim said...

Hi Heather,

I've asked myself this question too. Why do I blog? Well, I blog because at first I wanted to keep our family, who all lives out of town, current on our boys. Then I started 'meeting' other moms out there, like you! So for me it sort of grew from a family thing to an everyone-welcome-here kinda blog :O) The funny thing is, my blog is still pretty much read by family only. I guess that says that we're not too interesting or I have really poor writing skills! I've yet to receive a negative comment. In fact, I rarely receive ANY comments!! That's why I'm always so happy to "talk" to you when you pop over ;O)

Got off topic again, oops. So after all of that, my blog is now a family diary of sorts for our boys. I'm hoping to one day print it out for them.

As for you getting negative comments, I have no idea why in the world someone would have something negative to say to you or about your blog. Seriously! You have a sweet spirit and it reaches all the way through your blog and shines God's love.

Aimee said...

Well I have to say, THANK YOU for not letting others deter you from blogging. I found your site via someone else(can't remember who now) back when it was Jacob's Caringbridge page and followed you here. I LOVE to read about all the things you choose to share about your family. The adoption of Allie and how much the boys just adore her and she idolizing them. I just love that these siblings have such a wonderful bond. I appreciate your insight and the scriptures and I love seeing just how much the boys and Allie are changing all the time.
Please don't ever let anyone's opinion of your blog sway you from writing. You are good at it and it most certainly has to be on your terms.

As for why I blog, I think I got the bug from the five years of reading all the blogs I follow. I was somewhat of a diary girl, but wasn't very faithful at it. And now, I love to blog about my nieces and nephews and hopefully someday, my own family.

Keep up the good blogging, I for one look forward to every entry.

Stephanie said...

Heather, I started reading your journals over on caringbridge and I fell in love with your family as we all prayed for Jacob. I'll never forget my husband's hourly calls in Jacob's last days, asking for an update so that he would know how to pray as he worked. I am so glad that you blog. I'm glad that you share the joy and the grief because it makes me feel normal.

Only God knew that leading me to Jacob's page would be such a blessing. When I lost my brother, I remembered your strength and Faith and I FROGed to to get through it. As a Mom of three boys, living right here in FL, I feel a special connection to you. As a sibling that has lost a sibling, I feel a special connection to your children.

I am also a very private person and I am very sensitive so I applaud you for continuing to blog. I'm sure that you're stepping out of your comfort zone for sure. I use my primary blog for business but I do have another with my testimony on it. I just haven't been able to get much further than that. I'll have to try harder. I love to write and if you can do it, so can I!

Give baby Joey kisses from me!

Christy said...

Heather~ Like you, I started blogging on a caringbridge site for my daughter, Chloe. She recently passed away, but I think I will continue journaling on her site for a while longer. Her site has become a part of our (almost daily) lives...We have another daughter and I think my journaling will be something she really enjoys as she gets older. I have followed your family's journey since about a year before Jacob passed away. I know you hear this all the time, but your really are a true inspiration to so many!!
love, Christy (www.caringbridge.org/visit/chloenewman)

Audra said...

I Love your Blog, Jacob's Caring Bridge site, I Love your words, your inspiration, your faith, I Love YOUR FAMILY!!!! I can't imagine anyone feeling the need to tell anyone what they should do/write...keep doing what you do, you touch Thousands just like your Amazing Jacob did.
Can't wait to see pictures of your 4th celebration...the 1st with baby girl :)
Much Love,
Audra

Mrs. Rems said...

I think your blog is one of the most inspiring and "real" blogs I've ever read. Your stories come from you heart and I feel like it's a privilege that you allow us to read it. :)

I love that you share scriptures at the end of every entry, because it gives me pause to reflect on it's meaning and to relate it to some aspect of my life and it always makes me thankful for all that I have.

You are amazing...don't change a thing!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. It always makes me smile, cry, or both.
You are the sweetest family and you are one of the nicest people.
Thank you so much for sharing your family.
I have 4 kids myself and can relate to your blog.

Faithful Froggers said...

Mimi,

I got your comment and e-mailed you - but it bounced back saying that the address was wrong. Can you try sending your e-mail address again?

Thanks,
Heather

Susan said...

To my precious Heather,

I'm sitting here in awe once again! Your writing, your honesty, your compassion, well the list could go on and on!

I'm so honored to be called your friend.

I'm so blessed you have taken your GIFT to share your journey with all of us.

Now YOU HAVE BEEN A MAJOR spiritual lift in MY LIFE!

From the first time I visited Jacob's site, that was it. Captured...

I want to be just like you when I grow up Heather!!

You've taught us all how to bless God in the storms, how to rejoice in the goodness of God, and to appreciate all the "little things" in life.

So, how can I thank YOU enough?

Keep blogging away, we're all here being blessed and encouraged each time you post.

“We are all pencils in the hand of God.” Mother Theresa

LOVE YOU HEATHER♥

Anonymous said...

Heather, I love reading your blog! I've been following your family on Jacob's site for 3 plus years, and now over here. You are a fabulous writer, I hope you never grow tired of blogging. I really enjoy hearing about your day to day activities, up and downs. Yes, I've fallen in love with all the Duckworth's! Hugs from Fort Worth P.S. Don't ever loose that sight, this is YOUR blog!

queen foodie said...

Ironically I just had this same type of post in the last month or so. Jacob's site was a site I checked out all of the time. I started blogging due to reading and seeing Caringbridge sites. Now I blog to keep friends and family and anyone else up to date on our lives. I enjoy it and the boys love seeing themselves on the computer. The only thing I don't like is when the pictures take so long to download. I'm sure there's a secret that I'm not privy to...oh well.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I'm so glad for you that you are claiming your blog for your own. I can't imagine beginning with a ready made audience from caringbridge and going to something completely different.
I started blogging to keep our far away family in touch with The Kids' goings ons. I soon found out that not one of them read it. I then began to use it as a scrapbook for our lives. Now, my family reads it and I'm caring less about pleasing everyone. It is my outlet and my view of our family. Our triumphs, our falls from grace, and our love. Keep up the great work! I love reading your writing and you and your family are good inspiration for others, because you are just people doing the best you can with the hand you're given.
Thanks for sharing so much with us readers.

Anonymous said...

I began following Jacob's site years go. I started a blog almost a year ago for our family and friends who are out of town. I turly admire your faith and I am inspired to be even half as good of a mom as you are. I look forward to checking your site daily. Keep up the great work.

Laura

Christine said...

Hi Heather,

I read your blog often. Your posts are so inspirational. I could really identify with the gal who posted about your family on her blog. It really is about compassion. Your faith is amazing and it helps many people, including myself. The fact that other people would feel inclined to tell you what you should or shouldn't post on your blog is puzzling. I just don't understand that type of behavior. I pray for those people. I have to believe that they are hurting inside and that's why they do those things. So, I pray for God to heal them and for the veil to be lifted from their eyes and that they would only have compassion and not be judgemental. I especially pray for your heart to be protected. And I thank you for your willingness to share your story with us, complete strangers. The power of the testimony is amazing and God wants us to share our experiences with others. This is the way that many people are brought to Christ. This is how He is glorified! So, thank you, thank you, thank you! Thank you for willing to be vulnerable. You and your beautiful family are making a HUGE difference in the lives of many. And I just know that Jacob looks down and "brags" to all the other angels up there saying, "that's my mommy, isn't she amazing?"

Bless you Heather!

linlassie said...

I found your blog via Jacob's site, I was so impressed with your blog I began my own. The purpose of my blog is so that I can write my thoughts down, also as a vehicle to pass information to those closest to me and for future grnadchildren to read, if I am not around to share my thoughts nad memories with them.

Gail

http://linassie.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I started my blog just this past January - I spent the semester in Australia, and I wanted a way to take everyone at home along with me in addition to documenting the trip. As I continued to write, I wound up with some followers who I don't know personally, but all have been very kind - I've been fortunate in that way. But I also warned everyone that I might be a bit "selfish" on the blog...I had many things that I wanted to remember for myself, but I didn't know if they would interest anyone else (except maybe my parents!) So far, so good - but I'm also a fairly open book in general, so the blog didn't take me too far out of my comfort zone.

As you know, I have followed you all for years (since 2004 or so, I want to say) and am still here because I admire you all so very much - you inspire me. Heather, I LOVE your writing style, both here and on Jacob's site, and I am very grateful that you share with us. I also found Angel's blog through you and have enjoyed reading it very much, as well.

I've enjoyed catching up on your posts today - CONGRATS on your new nephew and on Allie's re-adoption. Thanks for letting us readers share your joy. :-)

Love, Hilary

Anonymous said...

Why do you blog? Well - it may not be your reason, but your outcome is inspiration!! I followed your caringbridge site and fell in love with your family and how amazingly strong you guys are. You are all such an inspiration at how you handle the trials and horrible experiences that have come your way. Through it all - you have remained so positive and showed us all how life goes on... Thank you for continuing to blog and share your lives with others.

valerie said...

First of all I love your blog. I don't even remember how I found you in the first place, but have fallen in love with your beautiful family. I can't wait to see the new pictures you post of the kids.
I've never lost a child and can't imagine your pain, but even though I don't know you all and may not ever meet you, I feel for you...I've cried with you and I pray for you.
There are so many different blogs and each has her own style and personality. I have "met" some of the most amazing Christian women on here. I have had people tell me that I've inspired them and others have been encouraged to see God's faithfulness in my life through my blog.
It's a blessing to me and so far I haven't had any negative comments.
When I first started blogging I would read some and wish I could write like they do or that I could express my feelings in such a way like they did.
I, like you had to realize that I am going to share my every day life and if and when God gives me something very profound to write and the ablility, I will do it gladly.
But, again, your blog does nothing but bless me. You and your family are absolutely precious and your testimony has blessed me.
Love,
Valerie

Maureen said...

Dearest Heather, I wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog. It inspires me, makes me laugh, cry, makes me think, makes me smile.... I could go on. But it is also my CHOICE to visit your blog. It is a shame that some people feel the need to critcize and judge. If they don't like it, don't visit. I certainly don't mean to sound just as bitter as though poor souls. But Heather you are just the sweetest lady and I so admire your faith and your strength, you keep doing your thing. This is YOUR blog. I appreciate you opening your heart, your home and family through your words, stories and great pictures. Thank you. God is working through you. And let us pray for those who do need their hearts softened.
I know you have mentioned how shy you are and my 7 yr old daughter and I recently saw you in a store. My daughter said, Oh mommy look isn't that baby Allie from your computer? How cute. She wanted to know why I didn't go and say Hi. I explained that while I may visit her website often I didn't want to bother you while you were trying to do your shopping!!
Anyhow this is way longer than I had planned. Have a wonderful rest of the week. I look forward to the next update :)
Lovingly,
Maureen Cadle

Reba said...

I cannot believe I missed this post yesterday...not sure how I did that. I have been coming to your blog since caringbridge days. I found a lot of caringbridge sites from Emma Grace's and then Jake's...then it just grew from there. Of course, when you started your family blog, I immediately followed, especially with the adoption, an issue near and dear to my heart. :)

Maria's adoption (almost three years ago when we started it) was the reason I started a blog. Too bad I didn't know about blogger then...I used a different site and it was SO time-consuming. It was a wonderful way to share our experiences and latest news with family so I didn't have to explain myself over and over (especially when the wait was too painful to even talk about). Once she was home, it was a good way to share pictures and updates. Now it is like therapy for me. I kept journals and diaries as a child. I enjoy writing (doesn't mean I am good at it :). I also, like others have mentioned, used to scrapbook, but now with four kids, I cannot do that right now. And baby books...well, the first child has a partially filled out one. :) But on here, I can look back and see when Joshua started crawling or what Maria was doing two years ago. I sometimes go through this, "Why do I blog? Is it fair to my family? Do I reveal too much?" But I wouldn't trade the friends I have made through this experience. And even people I don't know well will mention something they read on the blog that touched them much like I read others' blogs and learn so much.

Your nephew is a peanut...that is exactly what the doctor called our son (born full term) at 5 pounds 12 ounces. So very tiny. My niece, now three months old and born a couple months premature, is just now in newborn sizes. :)

Reba

Anonymous said...

What a good post.. It was fun to read why you blog!! I blog for journaling purposes as well, although I love reading blogs too!

Anissa Mayhew said...

Thank you so much, Heather. I know you said that there was more you wanted to answer to my question, and I think you pretty much said it. You have been an amazing friend and support, I am awed by the way your faith has inspired so many. You have turned your greatest grief into a way to shine God's love all over every person you touch.

Love
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

stephany said...

Heather - I've been following your family for a few years, though I've never left a message. I don't blog, but I read quite a few of them. I read them to be inspired, to laugh, to make me think, to bring perspective, and to remind me what a gift I have in living. Your blog is one of the few that does all of these things for me, and I love, love, love that about it. I've laughed with you, I've cried with you, and my heart has hurt and smiled with yours. Your family is amazing, and there's a lot to be learned from you guys in living life. Thank you for sharing your stories, thoughts, pictures - I appreciate it!

Kim said...

Hi Heather -

I am another who started following Jacob's Caringbridge site and then followed to Faithful Froggers. I truly appreciate all that you share on both sites. You are right, it does make you vulnerable. But at the same time, you bring joy, laughter, insight, compassion and so many other things to so many lives! Seeing the sparkle in your boys' eyes and that smile of Allie's is amazing! You are all pretty amazing, if you ask me!

With warm regards -

Kim

Amanda said...

Hi Heather!
What a wonderful post you left about blogging. I have to tell you, I know I do not know you personally, but your family has give me SO much inspiration in ways that you will never know (well, maybe someday you'll know...never can tell). :) I think your blogs are just simply WONDERFUL!!! And that people would have the nerve to criticize your blog...that's like criticizing someone's loving personality. The blogs you write...I can almost feel/hear/see your personality and it is contagious. :) I really think your blog is just perfect...the pics, the updates, the scriptures...just everything. You are such a wonderful human being and we keep you in our prayers! Keep up with your WONDERFUL job on everything (mothering, wife, sister, daughter, friend and SUPER blogger)! :) Take care, sweetie.
Amanda in Colorado

Andi said...

I fell in love with Jacob and your whole family through Caringbridge which I found through Baby Allie's site in Dallas, TX. You are truly an inspiration with your words, photos, and obvious love for your family. I blog too, but I do it for my 2 daughters. Each year I will make it into a book for them through blurb.com. How awesome for them to be able to read about their lives 20 years from now as it was being lived?!?! I'm very excited about it and it's so easy to do. You keep blogging what you feel in your heart...how can that be wrong?!?!

Thank you for your inspiration!

Amy said...

I started my blog last Janurary for a fundraiser. I started with MySpace then I started a Blogger page too. I found that it's a great way to get the word out and cheap therapy for me. Now that my fundraiser is finished I use it as a journal. I have met so many wonderful caring people that have given me so much support.
My day is not complete without checking my favorite Blogs and Caringbridge sites.

Teresa said...

I am shocked that others feel they have the right to tell you what to blog about! It is YOUR blog. They don't have to read it if they don't like what you blog about. People just amaze me...

I just recently started blogging. You are my inspiration :)

Keep up the great work! You are truly a wonderful person. I'm blessed each time I read your blog and look forward to it each day.

Ellen said...

I got your Caringbridge site from a friend who is a triplet mom. I have followed ever since. Maybe because I am a mom to boys, maybe because my younger son is about the same age as Allie. I am sorry to hear about people criticizing you about your blog content and your beliefs. Why don't they go read something else? Thanks to you I am going to make a go at blogging now so I can keep my family and friends p to date with my life. Keep on blogging!