Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Still Celebrating!



It was May 20, 1994.

Donnie had just picked me up and we were headed out to dinner at our favorite restaurant. It was Friday night and I was exhausted and crabby. I had had a hard day at work . . . my 3rd grade class was loud and hyper in anticipation of school letting out soon and I had one student whose main goal in life was to make my life miserable. I vented to Donnie - who ever so patiently listened to my rant about children not behaving!

By the time we reached the restaurant I was relaxed and happy - ready to spend a nice evening with Donnie. But dinner soon became disastrous when Donnie received the wrong meal and started getting upset with the waiter. He demanded to see the manager . . . and I was ready to crawl under the table in embarrassment! Donnie had never been so picky about a meal before and I couldn't believe he was acting this way.

So, the manager came out and apologized to Donnie. Then he pulled something out of his pocket and asked Donnie if this would help. I looked up to watch the waiter open a box and inside was a diamond ring! Shocked and confused, I looked at Donnie - who was now getting down on one knee as he took the ring from the waiter and asked me to marry him in front of the whole cheering restaurant!

I couldn't hold back the tears as I grabbed Donnie and told him YES! He had completely and totally surprised me as I realized that the whole night had been planned - including him getting upset with the waiter! Everyone in the restaurant stood up and clapped and cheered for us and it was definitely a night to remember - the night we got engaged!






Fifteen months later we got married on August 5, 1995!
It was one of the most perfect days of my life.






"A good marriage is the union of two forgivers."
Ruth Graham




13 years ago today, Donnie and I were married.

We have been through so much together over the years -
the greatest joys and the most devastating hardships . . .



It was Donnie who helped me through the divorce of my parents.

It was Donnie who wiped my brow as I gave birth to Kyle.
It was Donnie who was overwhelmed with me at the miracle of our first child.

It was Donnie who spun me around with joy when we found out we were expecting triplets.

It was Donnie who held the bucket through 7 months of morning sickness.

It was Donnie who held my hand during my C-section - squeezing it with reassurance and love.

It was Donnie who got up with me every hour to feed 3 crying babies.

It was Donnie who drove all night for 14 hours with 4 little ones just so I could make it to my Grandmother's funeral.

It was Donnie who met me at the hospital when Jacob was diagnosed with cancer.

It was Donnie who sat up and cried with me all night the day we entered the cancer world.
It was Donnie who paced the hospital floors with me as we waited through 9 major surgeries with Jacob.

It was Donnie who prayed with me so persistently for Jacob's healing.

It was Donnie who held me so tight as I sobbed hysterically the night that Jacob passed away.

It was Donnie who would lay awake at night talking to me about life, death, Heaven & Jacob.

It was Donnie who made me laugh when I felt like crying.

It was Donnie who filled out the mountain of adoption paperwork with me.

It was Donnie who was just as excited and nervous as I was when we flew to Guatemala to pick up our daughter.

It was Donnie who cried tears of joy with me as we held Allie for the very first time.

It was Donnie who stayed up all night with me on Christmas Eve building bikes, Legos, games tables, roller coasters & kitchens.


It was Donnie who played with our children every night even though he was tired.

It was Donnie who I have kissed good-night for the past 13 years.
It was Donnie whom I have loved with all my heart and soul for the past 16 years!



We have lived a life full of blessings, love & fun! But we've also had our moments of anger and shared a million tears together. Through everything, though - Donnie has been there . . . holding my hand with such loving tenderness. He makes me laugh. He makes me happy. He makes me want to be a better mother and wife. He is my biggest fan and I am his. He makes my heart skip a beat everytime he looks at me. He is my best friend. He works so hard to provide for our family. He is a wonderful father. He makes me fall in love with him more everyday! He is truly the best God-given gift . . . just the perfect man for me!

"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better or worse. For richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part."
The Book of Common Prayer: Solemnization of Matrimony



I thank God for my husband everyday . . .
Our marriage is sacred - it is very important to us.
I am so thankful and blessed to have such a happy marriage . . .
I never, ever take that for granted!


"An anniversary is a time to celebrate the joys of today, the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow."
Author Unknown

Through the years . . .







Happy 13th Anniversary, Donnie!
I love you - always have and always will!

You can read about the crazy way we met by clicking
HERE.


"Our wedding was many years ago. The celebration continues to this day."
Gene Perret

Ending with a scripture . . .

"As the Scriptures say, 'A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.”
Ephesians 5:31

Still celebrating,

** We are on vacation this week! Donnie has 10 days off and we are so excited to have him all to ourselves! :) So I am taking a little blogging break as we enjoy some family fun time. This update was scheduled - so hopefully it will post. . . . See you next week!

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, YOU TWO!!!!!!!!
Hope you had an amazing day!

Praying
Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Prayer Bears

Allison said...

Happy Anniversary to the both of you. It seems you both have lived a lifetime in those short 13 years. I pray for many many more happy years to come. It only gets better - right? Enjoy every minute of every day that you have on this earth with other. As you all to well know we are not promised tomorrow.

Love
Allison

Leeann said...

You two are just the cutest. I have always been able to tell how happy you are together and it makes me smile.

Happy Anniversary! Hope you are having a wonderful vacation with your loved ones!

Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com

~Amy~ said...

Happy Anniversary Heather..... May the Lord Bless you two with many more years to come.

MLP said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are an amazing couple!!!

Hope your trip was a BLAST!

Anonymous said...

Heather and Donnie, Happy 13th Anniversary! You are both so blessed to have found each other, what I would do to have a relationship like yours. Enjoy your vacation and time off from blogging Heather, I'll miss your updates, but know you are having a blast with your family! Hugs from Fort Worth! P.S. I love all the pictures from the past, ya'll are so cute!

Kelley said...

Happy Anniversary Heather!!! What a beautiful tribute to the man you married. Today is my husband's birthday and it was also my great grandma's birthday as well as her wedding anniversary so I think it is a pretty special day as well. Enjoy your time celebrating what God has brought together!! Thanks for sharing your heart!

Melanie said...

Wow, Heather.. what a lucky lady you are to have a husband like Donnie. Reading all the many times he has been there for you brought tears to my eyes. Tears of happiness for you for all the Lord has given to you in this wonderful man.

Praying you all have a WONDERFUL vacation time!

Dawn said...

Soooo VERY Happy for you both and the wonderful family that God ENTRUSTED you with!!! Congratulations! I loved hearing your memories, they touched my heart along with your scriptures. It also reminded me of a scripture for YOU.

He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord ~ Proverbs 18:22.

Have a WONDERFUL CELEBRATION of your marriage, friendship, love, & family.

Love, Dawn ~ ^i^Brandon^i^, Jordan, & Seth's Mom

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Happy...Happy...Happy Anniversary to you both.

What a BEAUTIFUL tribute to your sweet husband.

You've truly touched my heart today!!

Enjoy your special day.

Kim~

Tessa said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are SO cute together!

Cassie12 said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary. Your message was beautifully written.
Hugs,
Susan from California

Kat said...

What a joyous, sweet, loving post! Thank you for sharing your "happy-ever-after" relationship with your dear husband with all of us! Bless you both on this wonderful day!

~Kathy
A Jacob fan from
Richardson, Texas

SaraG said...

Happy Anniversary. You have a wonderful family!!
Take care

Angel said...

NO WAY!!! We were May 23,1998 and we had the same invitation. :0) So funny.... Angel

Teresa said...

Congratulations! May God richly bless your marriage for many, many more years.

Crystal said...

Wow-oh-Wow How I loved this update! I have followed your family's story for years and you are amazing! Happy Anniversary.

Laura said...

Happy Anniversary! :)

I hope your vacation is wonderful and very relaxing!

Smile :)

Tracy said...

What an amazing couple you 2 are..
I am in awe of your love story!
My daughter just got engaged at 19(I think she is too young but I beleive in her!) and I pray for her the same kind of life and for her to be surrounded with love as well as give love. You are a true inspiration!
Tracy

Reba said...

Happy annivesary. Yep, I cried all the way through that...how sweet. We are going to celebrate 12 this fall, and I wouldn't trade any of them for the world, even the not so fun times (lost jobs, a lump removed, lost grandparents, an argument or two...). I hope you have a wonderful vacation together as a family and that you and Donnie can also enjoy some time just as the two of you.
Happy anniversary.
Reba

Anissa Mayhew said...

I'm so glad God brought you two to each other. What a perfect blessing. And the fact that you two haven't changed a bit, except for a few pounds of hair (hehehe but I can't throw stones on that one) just makes it sweeter.

Love
Anissa

Robyn said...

What a beautiful post!! I have tears in my eyes reading it!! Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple!!

Robyn

P.S. The yorkie in the pic is too cute!! I have two yorkies. :)

Jodee said...

Happy anniversary! You two are an amazing couple!

Hope you are having a fun and relaxing vacation!

Bobbi said...

What an great way to propose!! I can't believe he pulled that one off.

Happy anniversary to a super couple. You two are amazing,and inspirational. I believe that if Donnie wrote a post about you he would have the same list of great things that you are and do for him.

Hope you have a great vacation. 10 days in a row off?? NOW, that I am jealous of here. We are lucky if Joe gets a weekend.

Carmen said...

Have a great vacation with Donnie. I hope you have a great Anniversary.
Carmen

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary Heather and Donnie! Yours is a wonderful story and I cried the whole way through todays blog. I, too, am so thankful for my husband and our awesome marriage. I am totally thrilled when I hear someone else talk about their spouse as you do! That's the way God intended it to be. Praise the Lord!!
I hope you have a wonderful time together as a family on these days off.
Your children are hugely blessed to have parents who have a great marriage!
Love from MN,
Janet DeRosier

Audra said...

Happy Anniversary Donnie and Heather! May God Bless you two for many many more years together and into Eternity. What an example you are for your children.
Have a Wonderful vacation.
Much Love,
Audra

♥Kelly♥ said...

Happy Anniversary!

I didn't realize you and Donnie shared this day with my husband and me. We celebrated 8 years yesterday.

Enjoy your time together!!

Lakeville Vertical said...

What a beautiful post. Hubby and I just celebrated 11 years last weekend and I feel the same as you do about my wonderful man. Thanks for sharing your heart!!

Debbie said...

What a great post!! Happy Anniversary!!! I admire your family!!

God bless and be with you!
Debbie

monicac2 said...

Could it be that I am the *first* to wish you a happy, happy, happy, happy anniversary? You are each so deserving of the wonderful blessing that you are to one another! I wish you many more happy and wonderful years together. God bless.

Darlene said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful tribute to your husband. I had tears in my eyes as I read about the wonderful relationship that God has blessed you with. Hope you enjoy the vacation.
The pictures are precious and can't wait to see the vacation pictures.
Blessings,
Darlene

Sarah said...

Happy Anniversary Heather & Donnie!! You are so blessed to have one another!! What a beautiful couple you are!!

Much love!! Enjoy your vacation!!!

Christine said...

Congratulations! How cute that we had those exact same invitations for our wedding. I just love them. I pray that the Lord will continue to bless your marriage and your family and that you will always put each other first.

Elizabeth said...

congratulations!!!

Christina said...

Happy Anniversary Heather and Donnie! What a wonderful tribute to your marriage! I hope you're having a great vacation! Best wishes!
Christina

Kim & Dave said...

What a sweet post! Brought tears to my eyes!!!!

Tracey said...

Awesome story! Happy Anniversary! Ours was on the 4th! August is a great month!

Here's to forever!!

Kristy said...

Happy Anniversary!

I have been following Jacob's story for a long time now. Both of you are amazing people! You really bring hope , faith and love to so many people because of Jacob!

The Moore's said...

Happy Anniversary!!! In this world today it is not often that we hear or read about couples like you and Donnie. So glad that God has blessed your marriage in the good times and bad. I will be celebrating my 20th anniversary on September 2nd. Travis and I got married at 18, right out of high school. We have also been blessed with a wonderful marriage and have no doubt that we were meant for eachother. In 20 years we have not had to experience the terrible loss that you and Donnie have. I do believe when our trials come, and I know they will, that we will face them together. I join you in saying that my man is the best God-given gift.....just the perfect many for me! We are two lucky ladies.

Happiness to the both of you for many years to come......

Christy Moore

Tina said...

Heather,
You are killing me with these posts. This was so sweet and your love for Donnie just shines through.

Tina, Lance's mom

Patsi said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful & inspiring (as always) post!

God Bless,
Patsi

Sue said...

It just proves that God had a plan for you and for Donnie on the day of your birth. He knew you were meant to be. You compliment each other so beautifully. You have been through for better for worse, for richer for poorer and in sickness or in health and in only 13 years. May God continue to bless you and your family. Happy Anniversary.

queen foodie said...

I love all of these pictures. Congrats to you and Donnie!!

valerie said...

Happy Anniversary!
I think we've talked about this before, but you and my daughter share wedding days. I just posted something about their 2nd.
I also posted recently our 29th!
So much of life is shared with our spouses....things nobody else would ever understand. You are a beautiful couple and I am so thankful for you life together.
Again, love the pics.
Love,
Valerie

threehandprints said...

Happy anniversary and hope you are having a great vacation! I love reading your blog as you have the most inspiring messages and truely lifts me up.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! Congratulations on such a wonderful relationship.

Lisa & Gerald said...

Happy Anniversary!

Amanda said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! What a joy it must be to have such a solid relationship, for better/worse, sickness/health. It's so aparent that you hold true to the vows you took in front of God and family/friends on that beautiful August day! May God continue to Bless you and enrich your lives each and everyday!!! Take care!
Amanda

Melissa said...

OMG that just made me cry at how in love you two are. Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Still here praying!
Psalms 40:11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.
Prayer Bears

Hannah said...

Happy anniversary! Isn't it crazy how when we say I Do we have no earthly idea what we are getting into and where our paths will lead?? I am glad you have each other for those big moments as well as the small ones.

Here is to many many more happy years together!

Hannah

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! that was so cute :) i hope i can find a guy like that someday!

Unknown said...

I am VERY late!!! Even for me. :) I changed schools, again, to get closer to home. I am sorry I did it, because I am missing my old school and kids, but I do get to work faster and save on gas. Anyway, I have been too busy moving in and have not logged on my computer!! I am so sorry I missed your anniversary. I am sure it was wonderful enough without me. :) You and Donnie are an inspiration in your love and just the way you live your lives!
As always, I am praying for you all and wishing you the very best this life can bring you!! I smile when I hear about your good times now, because I know God is hearing the prayers of many for this special Duckworth family. Oh, and one Amazing Angel, too!!! :) I know he watches over you all, too. Happy 13th Anniversary, and many more!! Love to you both!!!!!