I hate to exercise.
I mean really hate it.
A lot.
I don't get any pleasure out of it like some people do.
No workout "high" or "rush."
Nothing at all . . .
except sore muscles, boredom & aches and pains.
It is no fun for me and I can think of a million other things I'd rather be doing -like cleaning toilets or having my teeth pulled.
Seriously.
But I put on 10 pounds over the summer in all the wrong places.
And I found myself out of breath, huffing and puffing, on the short walk to my mailbox.
And I was too tired to play baseball in the backyard with my boys.
And my jeans from last winter were
So I knew that the time had come to start working out.
But I really dreaded it.
And to be honest with you - I have never been able to stick with exercising for more than 2 weeks. Because I just don't like it and quite honestly & simply I lack the discipline & drive to stay with it.
And I am definitely not a runner. Just can't do it. I've tried - but my side hurts, I can't breathe, my legs ache . . . I think I am allergic to running.
Seriously.
But I just wasn't happy at all with the way I was looking and feeling, so, I went to my hubby - who is the work-out freak. He loves it. Yeah, I don't like him very much for that. ;) But I swallowed my pride and asked for his help. I told him how much I hate to exercise - but I really wanted to do it. Not so much to lose those pesky 10 pounds - but to firm up, be healthy & feel better. He was more than willing to be my trainer. :) He is the BEST! And so we started working out - 4 days a week for 45 minutes - a mixture of cardio and weight training.
I did not enjoy it one bit.
No, it cut into my blogging time.
It cut into my sleep time.
It cut into my laundry time.
And I dreaded it every evening.
Simply put - it was pure torture.
But I didn't quit (hubby wouldn't let me.)
And now I have been working out for 6 weeks straight - a new record for me. :0)
Can I be honest? I still hate to exercise. I still don't enjoy it - and even though many have told me that I will eventually LOVE it and become addicted to it - I just don't think that is going to happen in my lifetime! But whenever I feel like I'm on the brink of quitting - I think of this sweet face . . .

Jacob never gave up no matter how hard his circumstances were. He gives me strength to keep pressing on . . . because if he could persevere through all that he went through, then surely I can make it through a 45-minute work-out. Yes, Jacob continues to inspire me every single day.
I have to admit that I am enjoying the results. My body feels better, those jeans fit comfortably again, I'm down 8 pounds and I definitely have more energy. And although I do hate exercising each night - I surely do enjoy that time with my personal trainer. :)
After 6 weeks, exercise has become a habit. We are in a good routine and it is now a part of our day. I really want to stick to it and hope that we can continue to be disciplined through the holidays. But I still don't like it. :)
Please tell me that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Ending with a scripture . . .
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13
Only with His strength,




39 comments:
Heather
I am much more out of shape than you but about mid July I started to feel or at least acknowledge the out of breadth in a short time, lack of energy, all the things you described. I had not been to a doctor in a long time and I made the decision to go and what I found out was not suprise. I left with meds for various things and orders to try exercise and diet changes. 6 weeks later I am 16 pounds lighter, cholesterol in normal range and a exercise routine. I have a long way to go but I am on the road. I HATE EXERCISE; every minute of it. However, the doctor told me that exercise is what saved my health not the small amounts of meds. So I am on the exercise and diet kick and I like the results but like you I HATE THE EXERCISE. However, I think of my dad (passed away from cancer) and his memory is what I rely on to keep going. So keep going Heather you have an angel on your shoulder.
oh, you are so not alone!! i hate it too! and, unfortunately, i have not done anything to change it, so i still don't exercise! my daughter (14) has developed great work out habits, and for that, i am very thankful. and, i know she will be one day too!
Do you have any idea how blessed you are? On several fronts...first of all you have a husband who's in shape and taking care of himself. Not only that but he's willing and able to be your trainer! Oh what I'd give for a trainer! And then you get to have that special time with your husband! Oh what I'd give for that, too! I have to fight by myself to lose weight (and I had a LOT more than you did to lose...so far I've lost around 65 lbs but these last 10 are killers). My husband is overweight...very overweight and it concerns me so greatly! So far he's not showing any desire to exercise or lose. Yes exercising is hard but it's a lot harder to stick to when you're alone.
Congrats on tacking on 6 weeks of hard work! Now go thank that husband of yours for being there for you and helping you every step of the way!
Heather, It's funny... I actually love to run. Ran in high school and ran competitively for a few years after college. And now, despite the fact that I still LOVE to run and I love the way I feel after a hard workout... I've lost the motivation needed to actually get me started on that run!! So while I love it, I'm not at all motivated to do it; and that's not a great combination either!! I'm really proud of you though for sticking to it. And Donnie is perfect as your trainer because you don't have to hide anything from him. And I'm sure he's a great motivator for you as well. Love that picture of Jacob. Shows such innocence and maturity at that same time. It's really beautiful. Love the Allie pictures below as well. The collages were a great idea and your mother is so talented! Hope all is well. Your family is in my prayers. Love, Kyle
First of all, let me comment on the new picture of Allie out to the right! A D O R A B L E !!!!! She has grown soooo much. But I do have a question for you...do you ever send pictures to the foster family that kept Allie before she came home?
Great post on your latest hobby, although your not very fond of it! I think it's great that you are stickin to it and what better inspiration...than your precious Jacob! thanks for sharing~~
oh Heather, I hate excercising more then words can describe!!! You are not alone girl!! I will never like it...even with a hot trainer, still thinking I will not ever, ever like it.
Keep up the great work, hope you continue with it.
Rita
Do you want an accountability partner? :) I could sure use one! We moved our treadmill and rowing machine into the family room so I could exercise each night while I watched the news. It hasn't made it any more fun, but it does help distract me from how not fun it is.
It's amazing what our kids have been through and how resilient they can be. It's not just that they get through it all, but that they do it with smiles, laughter and so much love. Somehow these precious kiddos manage to have so much fun in incredibly un-fun circumstances. Sweet Jacob, with his amazing courage and strength, is definitely great inspiration!
Heather I am with you on this one! I think I get too bored, that is why I hate it so much. I was really into it last winter because we were going to the OBX for a family vacation and I wanted to look good after having three kids. But after the vacation I got lazy. I am in a Mommy & Me Stroller class at the YMCA but I have friends that do it with me so it is more like a social thing so I am not realizing I am working out too much. Another thing is I don't have anything here to work out with so I have to drive to the gym.....that's just too much work for me!!! :-)
Congrats on the 8 pounds and while you are losing the other 2.....I will be sitting here eating bon-bons and surfing the net. Cheers!!
i totally feel the same way, i started exercising last week and did a 45 min. workout for 4 nights. i was truly not wanting to go there tonite, but knowing i have quite a bit to lose, and seeing this face, i will press on and do it. thanks for the inspiration.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!! I HATE IT TOO!!! BUT...as a youth pastor who gets to hang out with teenagers for a living...a parent in the youth group gave me a gym membership so his daughter wouldn't work out alone in a strange gym...so I have motivation and a buddy to do it with all rolled into one!!! Im with ya..but the results sure are nice!!!
Long time reader to your blog...
I am the same way. Hate it but must do it.
I'm with you on hating exercise. I NEED to start an exercise routine, but just can't make myself do it. Kudos to you, Heather for sticking with it. I'm proud of you for shedding those 8 pounds - you go girl!!
Love, love, love the collages of Allie. That is one precious little princess.
You are definitely not the only one, Heather! I loathe exercise as well, and I'm one of those people who strives to eat healthy, balanced meals and move my body at least a little each day. But I find myself relieved when it's not my day to use the exercise ball or to take my brisk walk. The walk is refreshing in some ways, but, as you said, it eats into time that I would rather spend doing other things. So no, you're not the only one. But it is very important. I'm glad you've seen results. With an accountability partner like your husband, I'm sure you can stick it out! And maybe not feel so guilty about enjoying holiday treats! (:
Heather... I am with you... I HATE exercising with a passion! Have never found any reason to like it and I HATE to sweat! I do like walking though, so try to walk whenever possible and have tried to squeeze in some crunches and push ups and sit ups about once a week... yeah... the epitome of lazy! BUT... I did join Weight Watchers and am down 30 pounds... I feel better, have more energy and feel young again without that extra weight hanging on me. So... go, girl, go! And, hanging with that personal trainer and having that face for motivation sure would encourage me to keep at it!
Congratulations!! Way to go!!!
I know exactly how you feel - I dread my exercise time but I know I have to do it. I love all the pictures of your children - I have ten grandchildren and we are very involved with them all and love every minute of our time with them.
Take care and I hope you have a great weekend.
Heather -- I am sooo proud of you! Keep up the great work! I, too, hate to exercise and my hubby loves to. In fact, he goes to the gym almost daily and loves to sweat. That is just wrong! I am with you -- I will never like it -- no matter what!
Oh my! I hate it too. I've tried so many times and I just can't stick with it. Except for back a few years ago...like 10 years ago, I got addicted to Tae Bo. I can't even remember how to spell it anymore. Anyways...I loved it and then I got a job and then it went by the wayside. And now, I can't do the tae bo because my hips hurt when I do. And I think I'm allergic to running too! ha! I really wish I could do it because I too lack energy and have gained wayyyyy toooo much weight! It's fuuny you posted this because I was going to start a blog challenge to see if anyone would join me in an exercise challenge. I need motivation and maybe I have a little to go on to see that you could do it. I'll have to ask my hubby if he would be my "personal trainer". Although I don't know how much motivation he has either. :(
Well, congratulations on losing the 8 lbs and for making a habit stick!
Bless you!
Christine
I hate excersise! I go through phases in my life where I go to the gym, and work out all the time. But, lately there isn't time for it, so I don't try. I have been going back some,and I have to say it does help relax me. If I had someone to push me to work out daily, then I probably would.
Great job, down 8 pounds and feeling better. Guess that and some time alone with your hubby are good motivators. Keep up the good work!!
I honestly could have written this post. I go to the Y with my hubby every weekday morning at 5 a.m. I've been doing it for years....and I still hate it. It's just what we do....hang in there....it won't get better but it won't get worse.:)
Oh Heather,
You are so adorable. I can't imagine you were out of shape. But I am so proud of you for getting into an exercise routine. I actually enjoy exercise. I am just super piggy when it comes to my diet. I have begged my husband to work out with me and help me work out since he used to be a college football player and I know he's had the best of training. However, now that those glory days of football are over, he is totally disinterested. I thought it would be a great way for us to spend time together. Maybe some day. For now, I'm going to try to remember Jacob's sweet little face each time I want to quit on my journey to getting healthier. Thanks for the post. It really hit me where I am right now. :)
Joan Rivers said something to the effect of "In regards to exercise...if God wanted us to bend over that much He would have put diamonds on the floor." I must agree! Not my favorite thing to do!!! I'm proud of you for sticking to it!!!
Love,
Jennifer
Heather,
You are definitely NOT the only one who feels like that about exercise. I hate it too and am just hopeless at sticking to any exercise program. I don't like getting all hot and bothered with it all but know I really should be doing some for my health.
I want to start walking more...will see if it actually happens???
Good on you for sticking with it and it must be so motivating to be seeing results for all your hard work!!
Anna
Oh, I am with you! I can't stick to exercise to save my life. And I definitely have more than 10 pounds to lose! Good for you sticking with it!
Oh, Heather, I am right there with you. I hate to exercise. Give me a ditch to dig or some job that is physical, but not boring exercise, but being A LOT older than you I have to if I'm going to keep going for the next 47 years. Now, that Sarah is in boot camp I think of her and all she is having to go through. I would be embarrassed to tell her I didn't keep exercising while she is really being put through the ringer.
Keep up the good work. Isn't it amazing how our children inspire us so much?
May you enjoy each joy and blessing given just for today, May you keep your eyes focused on the TRUTH, and May your joy bubble over to all those you meet.
Vicki
Heather,
I am with you girl.... I hate to exercise. I joined Ladies Workout Express in the Spring. I am still trying to hang in there. But, no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get myself there more than 2 times a week. Thanks for sharing that Jacob is your inspiration. I am going to think of him next week and I know I will get in more than 2 workouts!! I will be looking at your comments to see if anyone has any suggestions to tacle the boredom of working out. So many other things I would like to be doing.....
Have enjoyed the new pics of Allie. I am sure that you guys will be going pumpkin picking soon and will look forward to those pics as well....
Happy Fall Duckworths,
Christy Moore
Can your ask your mom what program she uses to create her terrific collages and images and list it in your blog. Many thanks, Beverly
Good for you!!!
I'm on a bit of an exercise kick right now too (after seeing my summer bathing suit pictures - GASP!) But I never seem to be able to keep the momentum going. I've been doing well for about 3 weeks... we'll see.
What are you doing for weight training? Free weights? Any simple exercises you could share with us? I've got the cardio-thing figured out, but I'm never sure what to do about the weight training.
Hello Heather,
I want you to know that 6 continuous weeks of workout is AWESOME (for someone who doesn't care for it)! GOOD FOR YOU!!! :) You are NOT the only one who hates to exercise...believe me. When I was in college doing my clinical work for Dietetics (my emphasis was on Sports Nutrition and Exercise), I came across SO many people who hated not only to work out, but they absolutely hated the sights of fruits/veggies. I felt as though I had my work cut out for me. ;) I enjoyed every minute of watching them grow and become these new people though! I wish I could say that I hated working out, but I have to side with your hubby...I'm a workout freak. I always have been. I was diagnosed with a very rare and serious auto-immune illness at a very young age (15) and decided at that point that I would NOT let the disease get to me. So, I took it upon myself to work out. And it was my GOAL to help others who were in my position (sick...for whatever reason), and even those that hated the idea of working out, to get moving, even if only just cleaning house or playing in the pool or just outside with their kids or whoever. YES...cleaning is exercise (and I HATE cleaning...so I choose to life weights rather than clean to get my exercise)! LOL! :) So, I want you to know that you are NOT alone in your feelings for exercise. I run into it more times than not. But there are SO many "types" of exercise. If you ever have any questions, too, please do not hesitate to contact me, either. :)Take care and God Bless!!
Amanda
Good for you! I am very out of shape and pregnant with baby #1 so I'm afraid to start exercising too much now...but once the baby comes I'm hoping to take lots of walks!
I am looking forward to hearing what your children will be for Halloween!
Jen
Yup .. hate it too! Especially the regimented aerobics or weight training. I prefer doing sports to get my exercise (swimming, biking) or walking the dog (sometimes running). But where we live winter is brutal so there is no way to do this sports for at least 6 months of the year. Do you have a home gym? What do you use for cardio? I'm thinking that just getting an elliptical trainer for the winter would be good plan since cardio is so important.
oh, and the collages of Allie .. they are absolutely gorgeous!! Your mom continues to AMAZE me with her talents, not to mention you give me some good ideas for my own pics!! Thanks so much!!
I had to agree with where you get your inspiration - Jacob was a little guy with true spirit and amazing strength!
Sarah, Montreal Canada
Oh, I am right there with you...
I've worked out, some some consistency (or inconsistency) for a while but decided to start running a few months ago. I was training for 3 5k's and an 8k that were all charity races. I must say that I do better when there is an end-goal to motivate me. But, I will say that while I like feeling that I'm doing my body good and the end results (although I wish they would happen faster!), I still do NOT like to exercise. My body does not crave it, despite everyone who says that it will. I would still love to be a total couch potato in my free time. Ha Ha!!!
But, I know that I need to do it so I'll keep going as I have another 5k in November to keep me focused. Hang in there and Congratulations on getting out there and sticking with it!
I really envy the people who crave exercise because I feel the same way about it. I do not get a rush or more energy or feel better afterward. I feel accomplished when I stick with it, but I hate every minute of it and think of a million other things I'd rather be doing instead.
Speaking of which, I need to get back into the habit before winter pounds start packing on!
I feel EXACTLY the same way! My husband owned a gym for a few years after we got out of college, and was a personal trainer. He still exercise daily, and has such good self-control when it comes to cutting back on the diet. I have NO self-control when it comes to food, and I HATE exercise. It is NEVER fun. I'm pregnant with our 4th child now, and I tell myself I'll exercise after this one gets here, since this baby is our last...but I just don't know. I get tired just thinking about it! :)
I HATE it too. but I need to because I have been heavy every since my kids were born. I always use excuses, i don't have time. blah blah... I need to. Tell me what you do and when you do it!! I need a personal trainer LOL
Melissa
So jealous that you can exercise. I have had 2 surgeries with a 3rd to come in November and haven't been able to exercise well for 3 years. I am one of those freaks that loves it but unfortunately can't do it right now. Hopefully after this 3rd surgery in November I will be back on the eliptical, walking with my grandson and dog in the park and doing all the fun aerobic classes I love so much. Whenever you are thinking about how you don't like to...be so happy and feel so blessed that you have the physical ability to do it. I miss it so much. Maybe you can do an extra mile to work off some of my calories for me now, then when I am back at it in 8 to 9 months I will work out for you...is is a deal? Giggle. Keep up the good work. And if nothing else, after your DONE working out, don't you feel better? Giggle.
I was the same Heather...in high school gym class I used to actually wish I was in a wheelchair because then I'd never have to do gym class ever again. A wheelchair! Like you a few years ago I needed to drop a couple pounds and joined a gym. Well, 5 years later I'm studying to be... an AEROBICS INSTRUCTOR!!! You can grow to love it, you really can!
Hi Heather! I am a long time reader, I don't comment much but I had to say something about exercise. It is not that I don't like it, I guess I like another poster lack the motivation to do it. I have just started doing pilates twice a week and I really like it! I was surprised by how much. Now I just need the motivation to add some cardio. I used to do aerobics 4 times a week and I loved it, but I hurt my foot and cannot do it anymore. So, congrats to you! Keep up the good work.
I also have a question. My digital camera just quit working and I really need a new one. What kind do you have?
Mary
Oops! Now I want to know the workout routine! PLEASE, I cannot afford a trainer, and I NEED to do something! But I, too, will not like it if I don't see improvements for my efforts! :)
You are absolutely not the only one who feels this way!!! UGH!!!
Post a Comment