Thursday, January 29, 2009

Facing the Past

Hello friends,


I admit it.

I am addicted to Facebook.

I just love it! I love how quick it is to check on friends and easy it is to download pictures. It has been so fun the past 2 weeks reconnecting with old friends. It is really amazing how it can bring everyone together and I have found friends from all periods of my life - as far back as 7th grade. So odd to have not talked to some people in over 20 years and now all of a sudden I know what they are doing on a daily basis.
Blows my mind!

And it has been so fun getting to know all of my blog friends a little better, too. I am finally getting pretty good at putting names with faces and I LOVE getting to know you and your families. However, I do apologize for not visiting and signing blogs lately . . . I can't seem to keep up with BOTH blogging and FB. :)

But, I have to also admit that FB has been hard for me.

I thought that everyone knew about Jacob . . . and I am finding that many friends from my past do not know about him at all.

It is hard to share that part of my life . . .
yet how can I not?

Jacob is such an important part of my life story and when people ask me how many kids I have, then I have to tell them about Jacob and share his story. And in sharing his story, I must also share our loss and our faith and our hope.

Do I mind?

Not at all!
I can seriously talk about Jacob all day . . . and most days I can do it without tears. But even if the tears fall - it doesn't mean that I don't want to talk about it. No, it just means that I miss him so much! And you guys know that I can always talk about our faith and hope - that's what gets me through most days. :)

I am learning, though, that sometimes other people don't want to talk about it.

It's hard to face such a harsh reality . . . Some people don't want to hear that I've lost a child. It makes them sad and scared and it is so much easier to ignore the fact. I am never offended when this happens . . . because I understand completely how difficult it is to comprehend our loss. There are many days I still struggle to understand myself. I also know how hard it is to find the right words and know what to say. And quite honestly, no words are necessary.

But then there are some people that completely surprise me . . . they open their hearts and listen with such empathy and compassion. Their genuine concern overwhelms me at times and touches my heart. And typically this reaction comes from those I least expect it. :)

I have definitely learned over the past 4 years that everyone is different - and that's okay. :) But it has been an odd 2 weeks . . . facing the past, sharing Jacob's story and processing everyone's reaction . . . so many emotions flooding my heart!

Thank goodness that through it all, God is there and HE understands always. He is the reason life is good even when it is hard.

Other than my new FB addiction, life is good right now. :)

We have been enjoying the Florida weather and staying outside a lot! This is the reason we live in Florida . . . NO WINTER! :) Here are some pictures from our trip to a park . . . such a beautiful place for pictures.


I just LOVE this pic - but hate that it is a little blurry!
CSC_0241

CSC_0254

CSC_0259

CSC_0266

This picture just cracks me up! ;P
CSC_0272

My handsome, shaggy boys BEFORE their haircut.
CSC_0278

And after! I felt like I had 3 new boys.
I am thankful that they all still like to keep it short . . .
I am a clean-cut kind of girl. Must have been my military upbringing. ;)

DSC_0334 - Copy

And silly Allie - who loves to wear her Tutu over her clothes.
CSC_0354 - Copy

CSC_0351 - Copy

CSC_0350 - Copy


And a short video of my little ballerina!







I hope you all have a fun and blessed weekend!! :)

Instead of ending with a scripture today, I thought I would end with the lyrics to the song, "God Understands" by Marty Robbins. I just love these words . . .

"God understands, he knows all about us.
He knows of our hopes, he knows of our plans.
He's willing to help if we will but follow.
He knows all about us, God understands.
I walk with the Lord in sunshine and darkness.
I cannot forsake his word and command.
Temptation is great, his love is still greater.
He knows all about us, God understands.
I know of his love, I know all it's meaning.
I know of the power he's given to man.
Without faith in God my life would be worthless.
He knows all about us, God understands.
When trouble appears and life has no meaning.
Be washed and be cleansed in the blood of the Lamb.
He's trusted and tried so cast him your worries.
He knows all about us, God understands."


Worthless . . . without HIM,

37 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have followed your blog for a long time! Your story touched my heart and I think your family is amazing. I wanted to post a prayer request, but the page says full(I check it all the time). This precious little girl, named Tuesday is dying. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.
http://half12.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Jennifer
P.S. I am also addicted to Facebook :)

Susan said...

Hey Heather,

I must admit, I've been LOVING FB too!! It's so quick and easy and fun catching up.

I've been spending more time there then on my blog these days.

I've enjoyed keeping up with YOU too!!

Thanks for sharing your story of HOPE with everyone.

God only know the lives that have been touched because of Jacob's brave journey!

You are such an inspiration to so many.

Love you♥

Love Being A Nonny said...

I remember leaving a comment about getting addicted to Facebook...I am too! So glad you feel free to share about precious Jacob! What a testimony you are to God's grace!

Tessa said...

It is great to hear from you! I am going to sign up for Facebook too ... I just haven't had a chance to do so yet. One of my high school friends that I keep in touch with told me that is great for getting reconnected with old friends - so it should be fun once I get around to it! Glad to hear it has been a very therapeutic and spiritual experience for you also ...

Anna said...

Heather,
Those photos and video of Allie are gorgeous.

Glad you love facebook...it is addictive and a great way to stay in touch with people, but can understand how its been hard too for you updating people you haven't seen for awhile about Jacob and your family. I think you and your family are very special Heather, and your strong faith in Jesus through the good and bad times always encourages me so much.

Take care,
Anna

Audra said...

I just Love you Heather! I Love all of 7 of you, and I miss Jacob. I wish I lived closer cause I could listen to you talk of Jacob all day, he is such an inspiration in my life, his life was so great and had such Great purpose.
Allie dancing is so cute...she is at a very cute age, I love it. She gets more beautiful with every post! What a blessing she is.
Have a blessed weekend - I'll see you over on FB :)
Much Love,
Audra

Michelle Riggs said...

Wonderful pictures.

It is great to see you on facebook. reconnecting is sometimes hard, but a blessing too.

Thank you for continuing to talk about Jacob.

Praying for you always.

Christine said...

Too cute! I know what you mean about FB. I just got on a couple of weeks ago and it's been so fun! Less than a week after I got on, I met up with my best friend from 5th and 6th grade. Then she moved away. I hadn't seen her in over 25 years! And here we live only a few miles from each other.

Jodee said...

I am also on Facebook, however, I try to stay far away from it since I only have time for one addiction at a time and that is blogging! Look me up though!

I love all of the new pictures of the kids. Also, thank you for the nice Christmas card. I always enjoy getting it every year!

Marie said...

Glad the blogging funk is over, nice to have you back. Yep, Facebook sure is addictive!!

Gosh yes that must be so hard having to suddenly explain over and over that you lost a child. Are you sure some people don't want to hear? Perhaps they just don't know what to say. I babysit a family who lost a child to cancer and the first time the mom told me, I didn't know what to say. I'm afraid to say "I'm sorry" after my friend lost her father and said she HATED hearing I'm sorry. I wanted to ask so many questions, cancer kids are so special to me but I didn't know if she wanted to talk or if I'd upset her. So maybe they are interested but afraid to say the wrong thing. It's a hard situation for you and for them I guess. I know I sure love hearing about Jacob, I love when you mention an old story about him or how you continue to remember him!

Anonymous said...

Never thought that would happen just because you joined FB. Praying right now that the Lord would heal this new wound that's opened up!
Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Young Creations said...

Hello Heather,

I am addicted to Facebook also. Although, my brother Andy has been adding pictures of me from grade school which I am not pleased with. Ya, my hair was so....well so not good. I love the pictures of the kids. I love my Adam to have a short haircut as well. Stay well and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Lauren

Reba said...

I love the pictures. Really wishing we had made a trip to Florida this week. Had I known I would be out of school all week (after Monday) and without power, I might have. :) The kids are all precious. I am a clean cut woman myself. I told you Facebook was addictive. It is a lot of fun to reconnect. But I can also see how difficult it could be too. Just know that we love you and are here to pray for you!
Reba

Kathleen said...

I a also addicted to FB. One of the beauties that I found was that I was able to reconnect with a group of friends that I had in high school. They are all believers and when I have faced some sad news in the past few weeks they have supported me and offered their prayers.

Pam D said...

Heather, I'm really glad that you're on Facebook.. it brightens my day to hear from you! And, like you, I am blown away by how easy it is to keep up with friends that otherwise would have been "lost" forever. It didn't even occur to me that it would be yet another way to share Jacob's story and your faith. Isn't it cool that we can even bring glory to God through Facebook? He CAN work good through everything when we hand it all over to Him, can't He? Amazing... both God AND Jacob. Blessings.. and I'll be "talking" to you.. on Facebook....

Anonymous said...

I'm new to the blog, but I followed your CB site for a long time, while Jacob was sick. After he passed, my computer died and I lost your site. I can't believe I found your blog! I'm so glad you are still here blogging and sharing your lives with us. Your little girl is so cute!!
God bless,
Millie and Colin-HLHS

Melissa said...

I still think of your Jacob often. :)

Melissa :)
www.withasmile.wordpress.com

brandi said...

I completely understand what you wrote. When I talk about working with make A Wish or post a blog link on my boards many do not read them. They say they just can't. I want to forever know of the mercy, grace and love our Father has for us and always want to be apart of people's lives. Does that make sense? many blessings to you!

Constance said...

That kid is such a hoot! She is such a sweetie!

I have never known the pain of losing a child and Lord willing I never will. My SIL Peggy lost her sister to a drunk driver over 30 years ago and I will occasionally bring up Debbie if the circumstances are right. She told me that even though she is sad and misses Debbie, it feels so good to talk about her!

"Too many people are uncomfortable and awkward and because they are they act like she never existed".

I told her she's right, it IS uncomfortable and awkward but because I love her and know how life changing this event was for her, I want her to always know she can share her experiences with me. I might not grasp the depth of it but I want to be there for her.

I suppose it's easier when you have a level 10 relationship with someone rather than relationships that are more surface and not as deep.
Connie

Pam said...

I certainly understand what you mean when you say you thought everyone knew about your loss. Just about the time I think everybody in our circle (past and present) knows about us, I find out someone else doesn't know. It is very weird and yes the reactions vary. It can make people very uncomfortable and if my tears do happen to fall, then the person feels bad, but it's ok and..yeah it's strange sometimes, isn't it?! lol

Lori said...

Hi Heather - This is my first commnent on your blog, though I've been reading it for about 1 year. I am not sure how I stumbled upon Jacob's Caringbridge site, but I am so greatful that I did. Your family is amazing and the children are so beautiful. I'm sure Jacob was the most awesome little boy. Thank you for sharing your story with the world. I really love reading it every day. Fondly, a stranger in New York - Lori Korn

snekcip said...

Hello Heather!! I signed up for FB a month ago and STILL have not got the "addiction bug" yet! I really haven't gotten into just yet, but I heard it is addictive!! I think when I find some time to really sit down and get into it, I will really like it!

I have to agree the "park pictures" are gorgeous, I'm not at all surprised with such BEAUTIFUL SUBJECTS TO PHOTOGRAPH!!

LOVE MS ALLIE IN HER TUTU, Bree is into shoes, shoes, and MORE SHOES!!! I brought her some snowboots from a recent trip and she practically throws a fit when I have to remove them for (ie..bath, bedtime, school)! It's amazing how they "become" of their LIKES and DISLIKES at such young ages!!! The poor kid feet will melt by mid-March, we have cold weather here in Southeast TX, but it doesn't stay that way long!!! Maybe I can introduce her to some cute flip flops (LOL)

Q's NEWS said...

I am tempted to join Facebook just to stay in touch with you! I totally understand how easy it would be to be able to reconnect with so many people all at once - and how telling them about Jacob would be all-consuming! I love the pictures in the park - I cannot get over how much older all the kids are starting to look!!

You are so luck to be in sunny Florida - last week we got a major ice and snow storm and our electric was out for 4 days!! I think that is the longest I have ever been without electric in my entire life!

Have fun on Facebook but please don't forget about us in the blog world - just check in and load some pictures and videos every once in a while!

xoxo
Susan

Lyndsay said...

Ahh! The smoochie picture is fabulous!! Allie has the best expressions, and your boys look very handsome with their new haircuts!

Sarah said...

So glad to see a new post from you. The kids are beautiful, as always! I've been without a computer for a month or so and was shocked to see how much bigger Allie is! Now I will have to go look for you on FB....I'm completely addicted, too!

Bobbi said...

I love your ballerina!! I see she is into the same phase as Reese, and likes to see her picture.

FB is fun, isn't it?? I can't imagine having to tell your story. But, as sad as it is, hearing you talk about Jacob always fills my heart with love. Your love for him is always so apparent.

I too am behind on blog comments. I am going private later this week. If you would like to follow along, please leave me a comment with your e-mail address, and I will send you an invite.

Lakeville Vertical said...

I love hearing about Jacob. He is precious and a gift to all that know him and have learned about him.

Your ballerina is precious. :)

Lakeville Vertical said...

I love hearing about Jacob. He is precious and a gift to all that know him and have learned about him.

Your ballerina is precious. :)

Jess said...

It’s so nice to have you back! I’ve been following you for a long time but I don’t comment very often. Why? I’m not sure. Sometimes I don’t know what to say. You truly amaze me. I love your family and your faith in the big guy upstairs. I love all the pictures of your kids. They are growing up so fast. Thank you so much for sharing your family with all of us. Your Jacob is one special boy.

I have to admit I’m addicted to facebook too. It’s so fun finding old friends and catching up. I don’t know too many people who aren’t addicted to facebook!! Thanks again Heather for sharing your family. I feel like I’ve known you for a long time! Take care and God bless.

Carmen said...

Heather, I am addicted to myspace the same way. I just love it, I've talked to family and friends, that I hadn't talked to in years. It's so much easier to upload photos. Blogger takes forever.... It's easier to share pictures with your family..... I loved Allie's picture where she is puckering her lips.... The boys look like they have grown so much and they just get more handsome(prettier)if thats possible,lol. Gracie loved the card you sent, she was so excited to see their pictures came in the mail..... She said how did you get this? It was funny. I would love to be in Florida, we have had snow storms, ice storms, and more snow storms...It just 9 degrees today. I have been lucky, my power didn't go out. So many people all around me have been without power for over a week....I just hope and pray our lastest storm doesn't knock the power out for more people... Have a great week in sunny Florida.....My step-daughter just got back from Florida and the Bahamas,she said it feels extra cold to her now....

Robin said...

Great pics as usual. Beautiful family. I love facebook too. I'm on there too.

Constance said...

I HAVE to ask this question:
Did Allie ever do any advertising? I was looking at this week's Target ad and I could swear it's Allie sitting in a high chair!!
Connie

Faithful Froggers said...

Connie,

No, Allie never did any advertising! :)

Constance said...

If you copy and paste this link it takes you to the weekly ad for Target.

Click on pages 8-9 and the little girl looks just like Allie with pig tails!

Connie

http://weeklyad.target.com/target/default.aspx?action=entryflash&ref=nav_footer_weeklyad2

Ashton and John's mom said...

I am addicted to FB too! But, it is great!

Must you keep reminding us that you have NO WINTER? :) Although we are in the middle of a heat wave-2 days in a row with temps above 30!

Kim & Dave said...

Another FB addict, here!

Love that you want to talk about Jacob.....but it MUST be akward. I have a friend that lost her brother in a horrible car accident at age 18. She says she still struggles because when new people ask her about her family....she WANTS to tell about her brother....but she knows it will make others uncomfortable. So hard!!! Anyway, know that I still will pray for you & others like my friend.

Stacey said...

Dear Heather - I was soo excited to see your blogs! There's not a day that goes by that I'm not thinking about Your AMAZING Jacob! I too am sooo ADDICTED to Facebook. Did I tell you that my Fluff Friend is named after Jacob? Well, all my Fluff Friends know me as ^^ANGEL JACOB^^ We're busy getting the word out about Raising Childhood Cancer Awareness! SMILE :o) Look me up on Facebook - Stacey Dembeck Reich. Your boys are getting soo big! Love Ya Much - Stacey<3