Friday, February 20, 2009

♥ Happy 2nd Birthday, Allie! ♥

Dear Allie,

I can't believe you are turning 2 today! That just doesn't seem possible as it feels like it was only yesterday that I was holding you for the very first time. I can remember that day so vividly. It was August 21, 2007. You were 6 months old and I was so excited and nervous about meeting you . . . hoping you would somehow know me as your mother. Despite my anxiety, that moment was so absolutely perfect! You didn't cry at all, but looked up at me with your beautiful brown eyes - so inquisitive and curious and I knew in an instant that you were my daughter. My heart overflowed with love for YOU!

And now . . . 2 years later, I can't imagine my life without you.

I can't resist your sweet hugs and many kisses that brighten the darkest of my days. And your laughter and giggles are infectious . . . always making me laugh with you. I love the way you love your brothers . . . and your daddy. You melt their hearts with your constant adoration and I know that you have all of them wrapped around your tiny little finger. You are truly the princess in our castle and we wouldn't have it any other way.

I love the way you are a constant chatterbox! Oh, how you love to talk and talk and talk! You ask me a million questions and want to know everything! Your vocabulary is extraordinary and you are one smart little cookie. You amaze me daily with your determination and desire to learn. I couldn't be more proud of you!

I love how animated you are and how excited you get about everything. You love Elmo, Dora and baby dolls and your favorite show is Hi-5! You are a fabulous sleeper and napper and you still love to eat anything in sight - and that includes all vegetables and fruit. :) You love to play outside and jump on the trampoline with your brothers and you are so fun to watch.

But boy do you have a sassy side . . . with one hot temper! And you can make a mess faster than I can turn around. Yes, you definitely keep me on my toes - but it is so fun watching your personality develop and grow into the little person that you are.

Today, especially, I can't help but to think of your birth mother and foster mother. I pray for them everyday and hope they know that you are deeply loved. I pray for peace in their hearts and happiness in their lives and I hope they know how grateful I am for the care they showed you.

I love you, Allie, and I will forever. I can't tell you how often tears fall when I sit and watch you play - tears of happiness because I am just so thankful to have YOU. I am so grateful that our Father in Heaven brought us together as mother and daughter. You are so very special and have brought so much joy and laughter into our home. I am humbled and honored to be your mother . . . I am the lucky one!



Today, we celebrate the gift of Allie! How blessed we are to have her!

3 days old

6 months old


12 months old

18 months old


Happy 2nd Birthday, Allie!

Here are Allie's 2 year old photos.
Her personality just shines through these pictures! :)
I love them all.

CSC_0518

DSC_0506

DSC_0507

DSC_0508

DSC_0511

DSC_0517

DSC_0527

DSC_0530

DSC_0515[1]b&w

DSC_0505 - Copy

She will be having a "Dora" party next weekend!




Thanks to Nancy for the beautiful birthday outfits!

As much as we are celebrating today, we are also mourning . . . because February 20th is also the day that Jacob was diagnosed with cancer. Jacob's Site has been updated, too. It is often said that celebrations and mournings, joys and sadness go hand in hand - and that couldn't be more true - especially today! But how wonderful for God to take such a difficult day for our family and turn it into a day of celebrating. How amazing is that?! God is faithful and His grace is sufficient!

Ending with a scripture . . .


"Every good and perfect gift is from God."
James 1:17

Celebrating the gift of our daughter,

54 comments:

Brent Riggs said...

What an absolute beautiful girl!! I get a little sad seeing her marvelous hair because Abby's hair was so long and pretty. I really miss her hair.

Brent (Abby's Dad)
www.riggsfamilyblog.com

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday beautiful Allie!

Anonymous said...

But you JUST went to pick her up! How in the world can she be 2 already?! Give that sweetie a birthday hug from me!!!!!!!!!

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday Allie!!!
Hope you have a wonderful birthday.

~Niki~ said...

What a precious little angel! You are truly blessed. Your blog is on my side bar. I love it! HUGS from AZ :) niki

bloggin with Lin said...

Happy Birthday Baby! You are adorable. Thats with a Capitol A for Allie too. :0) Enjoy your special time. :0) P/S Heather can you email me need to ask you something. Love ya, Lin n Crew~*

Kristine said...

What a beautiful letter to your beautiful daughter. It brought tears to my eyes.
Thank you for sharing!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLIE

Heather, February 20th is definitely a bitter sweet day. I have no doubt God and Jacob had a hand in bringing Allie into your lives.
I will be thinking of your family as you celebrate Allie's birthday and remember one Amazing little boy named Jacob :)

Kris Bush
Minneota

Heidi said...

What a beautiful post!! Happy Birthday Allie:)

Carmen said...

Happy Happy Birthday Sweet ALLIE..... I hope you have the best day ever...I can't believe you are 2 already. It seems like yesterday we got to see your newborn picture and the first pictures of you with your Mommy, Daddy, and brothers. We love all your pictures and videos, you have the sweetest little voice. Have a Happy Birthday Baby Girl.... I love you birthday outfits and pictures....

Maureen said...

Happy Birthday Allie! I hope you have a fun day and a fantastic Dora party!

Heather, I can't believe how big she is getting. The beautiful outfits never cease to amaze me! Your post was very touching. Have a wonderful weekend! We have a birthday child in our house this weekend too. My Dylan is 7 on Sunday! So we will be partying too, with our Nascar themed celebration.

Maureen Cadle

Maureen said...

Happy Birthday Allie! I hope you have a fun day and a fantastic Dora party!

Heather, I can't believe how big she is getting. The beautiful outfits never cease to amaze me! Your post was very touching. Have a wonderful weekend! We have a birthday child in our house this weekend too. My Dylan is 7 on Sunday! So we will be partying too, with our Nascar themed celebration.

Maureen Cadle

snekcip said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET ALLIE!!!! Oh how fast the time flys!! Heather I have followed your beautiful family since Jacobs journey and thru Allie's adoption. I have laughed, rejoiced and celebrated each milestone w/the DUCKWORTHS. I can't thank you enough for allowing us to journey with you! It's amazing how GOD'S WORK is so intricate and unique, how everything goes "hand in hand". I remember the day Jacob earned his wings, and the heartbreak I felt for your family. I was inspired by your faith and your complete trust in GOD. I remember the adoption process of Allie, Oh how I celebrated with you. As you were in the adoption process w/Allie, we were blessed w/our SWEET BREE. Bree and Allie are merely a month apart (her bday is Mar 29)! Oh how I have enjoyed watching them BOTH reach the same milestones. Through your family I have become real good friends w/Nancy(WORLDS BEST SEAMSTRESS)and I have to say again WHAT A SPECIAL PERSON SHE IS!!! I wish you years of complete happiness w/your beautiful family and I celebrate JACOB today as well. THANK YOU JACOB FOR TEACHING ME TO LOVE A LITTLE HARDER AND APPRECIATE EACH AND EVERYDAY!!

Libby said...

Happy Birthday, Allie!

It does seem like just yesterday when we first heard your name and saw the first picture of you! You have certainly grown since then into a beautiful young lady!

Have a really special day today - and tomorrow - and the next day - and the next - why not have a special day every day???

Dell5 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET ALLIE!!!! I love all of your pictures. The camera sure does LOVE you! Hope your day is a magical one and you get spoiled tons.......which I know you will! Love to all the Duckworths!!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful Allie! I cannot imagine a more perfect little girl for her amazing family! You are definitely heaven sent!!

I can hardly believe it has been two years since your mommy e-mailed me with that very first picture of you! What a perfect day that was for her and your daddy!

Love, hugs, kisses and FROG!

Mom22girls said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Allie!! Wow! What beautiful birthday outfits!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Happy 2nd Birthday, sweet Allie! You are such a beautiful little girl and a wonderful blessing to your family. It is so fun to see the joy and happiness you have brought to them all. Have a fabulous day and a fun Dora party!

Love and hugs from MN,

The DeRosier Family

Amy S. said...

Happy, Happy, Birthday Sweet Girl..it is so hard to believe you are 2 years old today!
The time surly has gone to fast.

Love and Hugs little one...

Bobbi said...

Enjoy the day!! How did time go so fast?? This will be fun because she will know it is something special. She may not understand it all, but she will pick up on your excitement!!

Happy Birthday, Allie

Phyllis said...

Happy Birthday Allie! Those are absolutely beautiful pictures of a beautiful girl.
Phyllis & Kristen

Colleen said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Allie! Hope you have a great Dora party!

I love the banner at the top of the page.

Jennifer said...

What a sweet post...Happy 2nd Birthday Allie!

My daughter, Addie, just turned 2 also! It's hard to believe, isn't it?

I hope you and your beautiful family have a wonderful day of celebration.

Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet Allie! :)



Always remembering Amazing Jacob!



Smile :)


P.S. I apologize if my original post went through; I received an error message.

Tracy Solomon said...

Happy Birthday sweet Allie!!! You are so pretty in all your little outfits. Most importantly you are with a family God placed you with for very special reasons He knows. Heather, today is one of those days I guess that are just so mixed with emotions that it isn't a day one can plan only go with and know that God is always in control. Always know your family is in prayer. Love, Tracy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Allie! I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating!

Heather I agree with what you said about God making such a difficult day brighter. I had something very horrible happen to me on October 30th 1999. Four years later on that very day God gave me my Grayce. I really believe that he works in special ways to help us get through tough times.

Tessa said...

Happy Birthday sweet girl! I can't believe how fast she is growing! Her hair got so long ... I hope she has a fabulous day celebrating and a fun party next weekend!

Kyle said...

Your family has been on my mind all day today!
Happy Birthday Princess Allie!!!
Keeping your family close to my heart today and always.
With love, Kyle

Robyn said...

What beautiful pics!! I love the outfits!! Happy 2nd Birthday Allie!!

Amanda said...

She is just so darn cute!!! I see the way God moves in your life and it helps me to stop and remember how much HE loves all of His children! HIS timing is just so perfect and God and Jacob will always be watching over you. Praying you have a WONDERFUL weekend!! Thinking of you always!
Amanda

D Griffin said...

Always remembering Jacob and celebrating Allie - especially on this day!

Prayers to your family!

Jennifer said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALLIE!

What a bee-u-tee-ful blessing this child is. Praying along with you for this perfect gift.

Lee Anne said...

What a wonderful birthday tribute....and such an adorable girl!

I have nominated you for an award that honors those with gratitude. I have followed your journey for about 5 years and commented periodically. I couldn't think of a better recipient.

Enjoy the weekend with your birthday girl! We are coming to sunny FL from cold MN in exactly one month. We can't wait!

queen foodie said...

Happy birthday Allie. Enjoy your party!!

Reba said...

Happy birthday, Allie! I will never fail to be amazed at God's plans for our lives, like how He knew that February 20th was just the day to bring you into the world so that you could come home to a family that needed to feel His presence on that very date every year. God is good. Allie, you are a beautiful girl in a beautiful family. We all thank God for you and look forward to His plans for the rest of your life!

Pam D said...

Oh Heather.. Allie is breathtaking! The outfits are absolutely adorable, and the pictures are just perfect. But... what takes my breath away is the SPIRIT that I see.. the joy, the love, the happiness. It just makes my heart overflow with joy from afar, because while she certainly did not take Jacob's place, she added a whole new dimension to your lives. Happy birthday, precious princess.. may you always know this kind of earthly love, and may you ALWAYS know how much the Father cherishes you, too.
big, warm, fuzzy {{{{hugs}}}}!

Audra said...

happy Birthday "Big" girl! Wow, I can't believe she is 2. The pictures are ADORABLE, she is such a Beautiful child.
Much Love,
audra

Cassie12 said...

Happy Birthday Allie!!! You are a beautiful little girl!!
Hugs and love,
Susan (from California)
P.S. I love your birthday clothes.

S said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Allie!!

Heather, I remember so clearly when you emailed that you were adopting. One of my very first thoughts was about the dates and waiting to see how God was going to show His hand in the whole situation. What a blessing and a gift she is! It's hard to believe that she's 2 already! It's been so fun watching her grow up.

Anonymous said...

Allie is defintely a reason to celebrate..She is so beautiful and has added such happiness to your family....I love the birthday outfit also.....NANCY is so talented....Love Marci

Claire said...

I have been reading since the CB days...and I am so in awe of your post today..that Jacob's diagnosis and Allie's birthday are the same. i never realized! GOd works in mysterious ways. I know you are missing Jacob, but wow, Allie is just pure joy!
Claire in TX

Elinor Schwartz said...

Happy Birthday, Allie. Enjoy your birthday party.

jandkland said...

What a wonderful letter to a beautiful and very loved little girl. Thank you for sharing her with us! Happy birthday, Allie!

--Kelley in GA

Christine said...

She is simply breath taking! Happy Birthday Allie. God surely has His hand upon your entire family!

mommy3 said...

Happy Birthday Allie! She is so adorable!!! I see so much of Jacob's joy in Allie's eyes. She was definitely meant to be a part of your family. God bless!

Jenn B.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Allie! Sorry I'm late, I was celebrating my big sister's birthday on the same day! I'm sure she shared her cake with Jacob! Hugs from Fort Worth!

Marie said...

She just looks SO excited and happy about her birthday!!! She looks like she's bursting out of her skin with excitement. Looking forward to the birthday pics...it doesn't feel like a whole year since her last birthday pics with the icing all over her face!!!

Thanks also for updating Jacob's page, I still love to hear about that gorgeous boy of yours!

Jennifer said...

Happy second Birthday Allie. I hope that you have a wonderful "Dora" party. My little girl Nikki also had a Dora theme for her second birthday.

Heather, I followed Jacob's site & then this one since it's inception. Jacob will never be forgotten. You have a beautiful family. I always look forward to your posts.

Beverly said...

Allie gets prettier every day! The colors in that beautiful dress are perfect for Miss Allie! Happy Birthday (a little late) precious little girl.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday beautiful girl!! She looks so adorable. I know you'll be mad at me for saying it (lol) but I do think she looks older than 2. She's got such a mature look in her eyes.
As always, thanks for sharing Jacob with us, he's in my thoughts almost daily.

Rachel said...

I can't believe how much she's grown! Her hair is so long!

Unknown said...

ALLIE!!!! Happy Birthday Sweet Princess!! You are so beautiful in your birthday outfits! Of course, you are always beautiful! Have a great Dora party tomorrow!! We love you! God Bless! And give lots of big hugs and kisses to your mommy, and daddy, too! :)

Robin said...

Awww so beautiful, happy belated birthday Allie!

Karen said...

That was so sweet. I am happy your family has Allie and she has you too.

Beverly said...

I absolutely LOVE the new header! Your Mom (am I right?) does an amazing job and she outdid herself on this one. It's one to frame and hang on the wall! Take care of yourself, Heather! Miss your posts but know how busy you must be with those precious children.