Friday, March 6, 2009

One Special Lady



My grandmother was one special lady.


She grew up in the mountains of West Virginia with 6 siblings - poor as dirt. She used to tell me stories of how she would make her own high-heeled shoes by attaching empty spools of thread to the bottom of her shoes. I was completely fascinated with her. :)

Despite her poor upbringing, my grandmother was one classy lady. She never wore blue jeans or tennis shoes. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing her in anything but high-heels . . . and I had so much fun as a little girl trying on all of her fancy shoes.

My grandmother NEVER got old. I swear she never aged and was one "hip" Grandma. She took care of herself, exercised and in my eyes was always young. She lived life to the fullest, was not afraid to try new things and was by far the strongest person I had ever met. She was NOT your typical Grandma and I was always so proud of that fact.

My grandmother was the best cook - EVER! Never followed a recipe - just had natural talent to throw together the most delicious meals and desserts. I can't tell you how many times I've tried and FAILED to make her Chicken & Dumplings or 7-layer cookies. Sigh . . . I miss her cooking! Yes, my grandmother was one-of-a-kind. I honestly have never met another lady quite like her.

My grandmother was such a big part of our lives. She was there for every school function, every holiday and every party. She spoiled us rotten with extravagant gifts and unconditional love. Family was everything to her. I just loved being with her and have nothing but the fondest memories of our time together.

My grandmother holding me for the first time . . .

And holding Kyle for the first time!

My grandmother with my brother and I when we were teenagers.

My grandmother with Donnie & I shortly after we started dating. :)


But my grandmother did not live an easy life. She lost an 11-month old daughter many years ago to pneumonia. My grandmother often talked about losing her baby and I can remember her telling me that story like it was yesterday. Even after 50 years, I could still hear the pain in her voice and see the sadness in her eyes when she talked about the loss of her baby girl. I can remember hating that story because it made my grandmother so sad. I just couldn't imagine such heartbreak! Never in a million years did I think that I would one day share that pain so vividly with my grandmother.

My grandmother passed away very suddenly in January 2004 - exactly one month before Jacob was diagnosed with cancer. She had a heart attack and died in her sleep . . . and that was very hard on all of us. She was fine one day and gone the next. But looking back, I can see how that was all part of God's perfect plan. It would have been too hard on my grandmother to lose Jacob, too - especially after having lost her own daughter. She was spared the grief . . . and was there, in Heaven, to greet Jacob when he made the journey home.


One of my favorite pictures of my grandmother & Kyle - he had just turned a year old.

4 generations - right after the triplets were born.

Oh, how she LOVED these babies.
She was one proud Great-Grandma!
She was never too old to get down on the floor and play with the boys.


Nothing made her happier than to have all the kids in her lap!

As I was growing up, I can also remember my mom talking about the loss of her sister. My mom was 5 years old when her sister died - almost the same age as the boys were when Jacob passed. My mom has often told me that she felt like she lost her mom that day when her sister died. She has always said that her mom was never the same again . . . she lost that carefree JOY and always had a sadness about her after that.

Those words haunt me.


I don't want my boys to ever feel as if they lost "me" when Jacob died . . . yet it is hard to not let grief take over sometimes. It is a CHOICE every day to live this life with JOY . . . to show my boys that true joy only comes from God . . . his hope, his love, his presence.

Do I have moments of sadness? Absolutely! And I think it is good for the boys to understand that we do miss Jacob and are sad that he is gone. Unfortunately, sadness is a part of life this side of Heaven. However, we do not grieve without HOPE and I want my kids to know that they make me happy and that because of God's love - JOY will come in the morning.

I miss my grandmother & Jacob everyday. 2004 was definitely a hard year for us! But how thankful I am that they have each other in Heaven. And I give God all the glory for filling my heart with JOY.

This was about a month before she passed away.
We were at school for Kyle's Christmas kindergarten program.
I had no idea how much my life was going to change in the next 2 months - losing my Grandmother in January and Jacob being diagnosed with cancer in February.


I love this picture . . .Jacob is sitting on her lap and it brings me great comfort to know that they are together. What a great reunion that will be when we all get to Heaven.

I am so behind on updating this blog - and I literally have over 500 pictures to share. Will definitely have to narrow it down and post my favorites next week. :) I have many updates floating around in my head and promise to start updating on a more regular basis!

But for now, I am off to go finish packing because my hubby and I are going away for a relaxing and romantic weekend together. Alone, as in just the two of us. As in, NO KIDS! Woo-hoo! :)

Have a great weekend, my friends!


Ending with a scripture . . .

"Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!"

Philippians 4:4


Filled with JOY,

34 comments:

mdpetrow said...

Heather,
That was such a beautiful update and a wonderful tribute to your Grandmother. You were so very lucky to have her. Thank you once again for brightening up my day.

Blessings,
Michelle Petrow

Sarah said...

Oh Heather, what a beautiful heartwarming post you have written today. Your Grandma was absolutely a classy lady from the looks of things. I can't believe how she barely changed her appearance between the picture with you as a baby and the picture with Kyle as a baby. WOW! I never think for a moment that your boys would see you as just a sad mom. For sure they will grow up with compassion and love for their brother they don't get to see anymore. But .. you .. and Donnie, and your whole family have such a great way of celebrating LIFE. Thanks for your post today, it did make me cry .. life it hard! I hope you enjoy your romantic getaway, what a great idea!!

Pam D said...

What a beautiful lady.. in every sense of the word. I can see a lot of her in you, Heather. And, what a huge comfort to know that Jacob IS in her lap again and that they are perfect and happy together. Thank you for sharing your wonderful grandmother with us; just another piece in the puzzle that adds up to YOU! Have fun with your man...

The Foster Home said...

Such a beautiful post, thank you for sharing. Enjoy your weekend away!!

Debbie said...

What a beautiful woman your Grandma was. What wonderful memories you have of her. I miss my Grandma also. We called her Nanny and she was a wonderful person, beautiful just like yours was. I know Jacob and your grandma are enjoying each other and getting things ready for when you are all together again. How nice Jacoc has his great Grandma with him.

I hope that you and Donnie have a wonderful and fun filled weekend, childfree. try and enjoy it!!

I have missed your blogging and look forward to them coming closer together again.

God Bless~
Debbie Jean

Sarah said...

Heather, what a beautiful and touching tribute to your grandmother. She was a beautiful lady and never aged!! When I was reading your story... I thought how wonderful it must have been for her to be able to catch Jacob up in Heaven for you. I know she will love him with all her might until you are all together again! I can just imagine her there with Jacob and her baby girl on her knees.

I am so sorry that you and your grandmother both had to endure such terrible loss here on earth. Nobody should have to kiss their child goodbye... my heart breaks thinking of your sweet smile turned upside down. But, I can tell you that from what I see... I am sure your boys and Allie do not feel as if they lost their parents when you all lost Jacob. You have done a phenomenal job keeping his memory alive and instilling faith that you will all be together again someday.

What a wonderful legacy your grandmother left you with. I am forever praying for you and FROGging on Jacob's behalf.

I hope that you and Donnie have a wonderful weekend away! You deserve it!

MLP said...

What a beautiful lady in so many, many ways. I loved reading this post!

Have a wonderful trip with your hubby!!!

Anonymous said...

Heather,
Your grandmother sounds like she was an amazing woman! I can see where you get many of your own wonderful traits~straight from Grandmom! :)

Martha from NC said...

Your Grandmother was a beautiful lady. I'm sure you miss her terribly. It's wonderful to know that she and Jacob are together in heaven; watching over you and your family. Praise the Lord!
Have an enjoyable, romantic, quiet weekend with your precious husband.
You deserve it.

Reba said...

Have a wonderful weekend!!! Enjoy that time.

Oh, and your grandmother looks like an amazing woman. And she was very hip! I can tell just by looking...

Darlene said...

This is a great tribute to your Grandmother...the pictures made it even more special!

Have a fabulous get-a-way weekend!
Blessings,

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine a better way to go...going to sleep and waking up in the arms of Jesus! Thanks for sharing so much about such a special woman! Makes me want to work harder so that some day my grand kids will write something even half as nice as this. Although that cooking thing...that's not gonna happen!
Hope you're having a fantastic time on your getaway!
This one verse contains the whole core of Scripture. Praying!
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Marie said...

What a beautiful post. I never knew my grandparents and your grandma looked like a lovely woman. How awful for you to lose her at a time you needed her, while at the same time comforting that she was there to greet Jacob. Now she, Jacob, and the lost baby are together and waiting for you.

Robyn said...

What beautiful pics!! Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman!!

Beverly said...

Such a wonderful heartwarming post! Thanks for sharing that part of your life. I had a special grandfather and have pretty much the same feelings as you. Enjoy your weekend! You certainly deserve it!

Stephanie said...

Heather, I hope that you and Donnie are enoying your time away. I dropped in today because I have been thinking of your family. There is a family of cardinals living on our property. They love to "play" in my butterfly garden. I watch them from my kitchen window every morning as I pack lunches and prepare breakfast. Watching them always reminds me of Jacob and your family. I can't help smiling as I watch them.

Thank you for sharing your grandmother with us. I know that it brings great comfort to know that Jacob is wih her and that she is also with her baby girl. I can also identify with your Mother's statement. I lost both of my parents three years ago when my brother went to Heaven. I have always admired the way that you have parented your children, especially in the days and weeks following Jacob's death. You are such a compassionate, unselfish, loving Mother.

Lynn said...

Wow. This is a story that parallels my own more than you can know. Thank you for sharing. It brought back sweet memories as well as poignant ones. When I was 4 my mama lost a baby as well.. my little newborn brother. She was never the same again either. Life can be very hard, can't it. But when it is over, I know we will be with Him who makes all things new! YEA!! And she is there already, with that precious baby... and her mom and dad, and many other loved ones. I miss them all so much. The longer we live, the sweeter heaven grows. I guess it is meant to be that way.. the longer we are away, the more we long to be home.

Thanks for the recent facebook add! You guys have a sweet, fun weekend! Bless you all!
Lynn

Marcy said...

Hi,

I have been following your "life" since Jacob's Caringbridge site. For some reason there were/are several children with cancer that I followed their sites. I think your boys must have caught my attention because they are all so cute! :>) Anyway, your comment about you fearing that your boys will feel like they "lost" you with the death of Jacob. Of course, I don't know you, but you have amazed me with the way you have handled his death. It is obvious that the grief was horrible, but you still seemed to take joy in the everyday with your other children. From an outsider looking in it seems like it made you appreciate the small everday things with them. Just thought I would share that with you. I know as a "mom of many" it is easy to doubt ourselves everyday!

Marcy

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother sounds like she was an amazing woman. You were so lucky to have somebody like her in your life. Your love for her shines through in your words.

I am a nurse, and I have seen many people's end of days, and despite the fact that it's painful for those left behind, going quickly in one's sleep is truly a blessing.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Rohrbachs said...

I love when you post! Made me long to have a grandmother like yours! I did not really know my grandmothers. I admire you Heather for How you are teaching your boys about the happiness in God. I don't know if I could belike that. I would want too. Anyway I just LOve reading your blog and just want you to know that God just shine through every word you right. God Bless!!!!!

Becky said...

Heather, I have read several blogs where a parent has lost a child. One of the hardest paths God asks us to walk. There is so much bitterness. I loved your comment about your other children not loosing their mom when Jacob was called to Heaven. Joy IS a choice. Yes, we grieve. Yes, there will forever be an empty hole in our hearts. We do make new memories. We still have old ones, but we do make new ones as well.

Tessa said...

What a special tribute to your grandma .. and what an amazing lady! It is so touching how her own loss is teaching you about how to be a better mom to your kids.

Hope you had a fantastic weekend!

Bobbi said...

Sounds like a very special lady, and a beautiful one too. I can see some of her in you. I enjoyed all the pics.

Hope you and Donny had a great weekend.

Audra said...

So very beautiful! I can see now where you come from, you have many Amazing women in your life, great examples, no wonder you are such an Amazing mom/person, and you too, have Amazing children. What a Blessed family. I bet it does comfort you greatly to KNOW Jacob and your grandmother are together. I find peace in that as well.
Hope you & Donnie had a wonderful weekend together :)
Much Love,
Audra

Anonymous said...

Wow. . . Your grandmother was very beautiful, and you are right. . . She did NOT age. Amazing. I'm glad it's a comfort to you that they are together. I'm sure your grandma is taking wonderful care of jacob. :-D

Constance said...

Heather,
That was so touching! My paternal grandmother and I were very close and I know for a fact that I was her favorite! My youngest daughter Laura was her favorite Great grandchild. When Grandma was young she lost her first child to Leukemia when she was just a couple of months old. Then she had my uncle, followed by my father. She was a single mother and it was the days of the Great Depression. My father told me how he remembered HER going hungry so that he and my uncle had food in their bellies. As a Mom, I can SO relate to that! When Grandma was 86 she found out SHE had Leukemia and we lost her that summer. After her death she left me her trunk and it was filled with all of the family photos that I used to beg her to show me and tell me about. Last year, I had her trunk restored, it sits in our bedroom as another constant reminder of this special woman. She is my role model for being a grandmother to my own grandkiddos!

Thanks for sharing her with us!
Connie

Carmen said...

Heather what a beautiful post... she looked so happy in all of her pictures. I'm sure she was waiting on Jacob with open arms and will take care of him forever in Heaven. My grandmother had a stroke at home and passed away the next morning in the hospital. I loved her dearly and she made the best homemade fudge. She treated me like a baby all the time. I have missed her so much and I treasure my memories of her and all the pictures of her life.....I hope you and Donnie had a great weekend...

jandkland said...

A beautiful, fitting tribute to someone who was obviously a fascinating and true LADY. I can't imagine going through the loss you both faced, but it seems like you each handled it with your own measure of grace. You, Heather, are an amazing mommy, and the great delight you take in ALL your children is evident in every photo and every post. Thanks, as always, for sharing a glimpse into your life and heart.

--Kelley in GA

snekcip said...

What a beautiful grandmother you had both inside and out! She was w/o a doubt dearly loved! I never had the pleasure of meeting my grandmother, (she died when I was an infant), but I think her legacy was bestowed upon my mother. My kids STILL to this day talk about the "special times" they shared w/her. I can truly say she was a great lady, a great mother and a great grandmother. The day she passed w/o a doubt half of my heart went w/her. However, I see a "little piece" of her in one of us. I have always been the child to most favor our mother. Sometimes when I say certain things or have a certain expression I always exclaim "OMG, I sound like mom!!! All this to say, is Heather I know your kids and one day your grandkids will speak of you fondly in the same way. I must say those are some shoes ALL OF US wish to wear some day.

JAMES, JESSICA, AND MATTHEW said...

I can't believe that Aunt Ruth has been gone for so long. She and Aunt Lula were the best reminders of Nana (your Aunt Sissy) for me after she died. They really made up for her. I miss Aunt Ruth a lot too. I can remember you, me, and Nicole standing there looking at all of her shoes. There must have been over 200 pairs! She loved you so much. She always had so many pictures of you hanging everywhere! She was like a machine, she always had so much energy! I can remember trying to help her clean and I got tired long before she did. And she was so attached to my dad. Did you know that she took care of him right after he was born because Nana was sick? And when she came to get my dad, your mom locked herself in the bathroom with him and told them that they couldn't take her baby brother away. We have a great family. We were all so connected to each other. I really wish that Aunt Ruth could have met James and Matty. She would have loved them. Thank you for sharing about her. You make her come alive again. I love you.

Anonymous said...

i just thought i would share a link with you about a little girl named abby. She was adopted from Guatemala. At three years old, she was diagnosed with a high-risk, aggressive form of Leukemia. Certain genetic complications have put her chance of surviving the treatment at about 20%.

I am praying for her and her family. Would you pray for them too?

You can find more about Abby here, on her family blog: http://www.riggsfamilyblog.com/2009/01/about-abby.html

Cathy said...

You are an amazing person. I started following Jacob when he was diagnosed because he was diagnosed just before my 4 yr old niece was.

Have you ever read a Karen Kingsbury book ? She is an inspirational Christian Best Seller author. You remind me of her. Her "Baxter" series could parallel your life.

You inspire me some much. I am a Relay for Life team captain and Jacob, my niece, my little sister, my favorite aunt and my grandmother inspire me to Realy each year.
Thanks. Cathy

Laura said...

I've read this post about your grandmother at least five times. I wanted to comment the first time I read it a few days ago, but didn't know what to say. I still don't know what to write, but it made me feel good to read about her after just losing my Grammie. It made me smile reading so many wonderful things about your grandmother. Thanks for the post!

Smile :)

Karen said...

That was so beautiful. I lost my Grandma in 2007 and think about her everyday.
You look a lot like your beautiful Grandma too.
Thanks for sharing.