May 27, 2000 - June 12, 2006
"She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts."
~George Eliot
Hello friends,
3 years ago today, Jacob took his last breath on earth and made his journey HOME to Heaven.
My sweet, amazing, 6-year old son.
The pain of his absence is crippling at times and we have walked hand-in-hand with grief for the past 3 years. Tears flow often when Jacob comes to mind and we miss him with every breath.
But as I think of my pain, I also think of Jacob's joy for the past 3 years and that floods my heart with peace. I know that Jacob is running free in Heaven - with no suffering, no tears, no pain, no cancer. Just complete overwhelming JOY while sitting at the feet of Jesus. Jacob most definitely fought a good fight and has won the prize . . .
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 8 And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing."
2 Timothy 4:7-8
God continues to give us endless HOPE with the promise of eternal life and He has given us unconditional LOVE through Jesus. And because of this, we know that one day we will see Jacob's sweet face again!
"Although the time of remembering our loved one's passing always tugs at our hearts, the assurance of their joys in heaven helps us move on with comfort and a confident hope that we will see each other again."
Roy Lessin

Having Jacob as my son has been one of my greatest joys in life. He was a wise old soul and taught me so much . . . he truly changed my life forever. I strive to live my life as he lived his. He is definitely my hero and he will hold my heart forever.
"Because of you, I love a little more. Because of you, I take time to give an extra kiss good-bye. Because of you, I have a new favorite song. Because of you, there may be dust on the window sill, and I don't care. Because of you, I live today, before I worry about tomorrow. Because of you, I don't give up quite so fast. Because of you, I still believe in rainbows. Because of you, now I can help or listen more. Because of you, today, I am me."
Eileen Wernsman

Oh, sweet Jacob, we all miss you so much!
I know that as we mourn your loss today, you will be celebrating 3 glorious years in Heaven! Sending you all of our love and tons of hugs & kisses!
May you always know how much we appreciate your prayers and encouragement. Thank you for sharing our grief and celebrating our joys. You all have been such a blessing to our family. Thank you for loving Jacob . . . thank you for remembering our amazing son.
Ending with a scripture . . .
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”
Revelation 21:4
Longing for eternity,
living with hope,
& missing Jacob so much,





63 comments:
Hi Heather..
Happy Heavely Birthday Amazing Jacob! You forever have changed my soul. It must be awesome to be healed from cancer and running the streets of gold.
We miss and love you sweet boy..more than you ever know.
Love and Hugs..
I came here specifically to tell you that I remembered today was the anniversary of Jacob's passing.
I want you to know that so many people, myself included, were deeply touched by Jacob's life as shared by you.
You taught me the meaning of FROG and any time I see that acronym, I think of Jacob.
He was the only child I have ever cried about as I read online about his brave fight & then his death.
I wanted so badly for him to live and to be cured of his cancer. It broke my heart that he was not healed on earth.
Your faith has encouraged me through the years and I thank you for allowing me to continue following your family all this time.
I can't believe it's been 3 years already.... and honestly, at the risk of sounding crazy to you, I am truly looking forward to meeting you & Donnie and all of your kids ~ including Jacob ~ in heaven one day. You are a lovely family.
(((hugs))) as you remember and miss your sweet Jacob on his anniversary day.
Heather,
My husband and I will be praying for your family today. Even though it's great to know your loved one is with Jesus, I understand how hard it can be to deal with grief, especially on days like today.
I pray that God gives you peace, and that you are able to spend the day honoring Jacob's life, like you seem to do so well every other day!!
Praying for you and your sweet children today...
Heather,
Thinking of you and praying for you and your family today Heather!
This is a beautiful post you've written to honour and remember Jacob's life.
Love and God Bless,
Anna
Heather,
I have met you and been following your blog for over a year now. You are an amazing writer and person. It's almost like you're at a turning point with your grief, as it says in the scripture you quoted. You have made me appreciate my kids more than you'll ever know, simply by reminding me that every day with them is a gift. Thank you for that, and God Bless Jacob.
Danielle
Heather it doesn't seem possible that Jacob has been gone for 3 years. Jacob was so full of JOY and LOVE for his brothers..I love looking at all of his sweet pictures. He was and is an Amazing Angel. Forever Remembering Jacob...
I can't believe it's been 3 years. I followed Jacob's blog from those very early days, and now yours, as I can't seem to say goodbye to your precious family.
This will sound odd from a perfect stranger, but I hope you understand it the way it was intended.
I miss him. I really do.
Such a great tribute to Jacob! I'm praying for comfort and peace for you on this hard day. I've followed your story for about 4 years now... don't comment much, but I felt the desire to today after you wrote such a beautiful post remembering Jacob.
Becca Andrews
Dear Duckworths,
Today is our Relay for Life event. As I read your update, my heart breaks! I have followed your story for what seems like a lifetime. I too miss your little boy. Jacob is truly AMAZING! He is an inspiration and just the thought of him makes me smile. I will definitely think of Jacob tonight during our Relay event. I'm sure tears will flow. However, he will also make me smile in my heart. God bless your family! May you find strength in knowing that one day you will be with your little angel. Have fun in the mountains and congratulations to Steve and Rhonda!
Hugs from your Missouri friend,
Shari
Thinking of your family today and remembering Amazing Jacob!
Praying for all of you on this very difficult day.
Heather,
Thinking of you and your family today, and every day. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of Jacob. Miss him!!!!
Hope you have a good vacation and a wonderfull wedding weekend!
Praying for you on this day!
Thinking of you and your wonderful family today. Also thinking of Amazing Jacob and the impact you and him have had on my life. Much love in GA
I a never read your updates when you talk about Jacob with out tears coming to my eyes. I can not imagine loosing my kids. I have a Jacob too and it just pulls at my heart. He was such a LOved boy! May your family be continually blessed. Lori
My thoughts are with you on this difficult day.
I'm thinking about your sweet Jacob today and shedding a few years myself. I started following Jacob's battle when he was having surgery in New York. I remember reading about his positive attitude and how he never complained. I can't imagine the pain he was going through and he still had a smile on his face.
I was finally able to spread my mom's remains this past Wednesday which would have been her 56th b-day. We found a great place with a view of Madeira Beach, which was her favorite. The pain of her loss was like nothing I've felt before. I'm sure you know what I mean.
love & prayers!
Heather & Family ~ I'm sure you will see a ton of cardinals this weekend! May you always feel the blessings of Jesus Christ over you and your family for the faithfulness that you have in Him. You always give credit to Christ for your many blessings and christian witness is so very important for all in this day and age. You have helped me many times to be a better follower of Him and His word.
God Bless,
Keyly Watts, French Lick, Indiana
Such a beautiful tribute to Jacob! God bless all of you today and always.
Oh Heather... I have been thinking so much of you today and did not realize that it was June 12th. Big hugs my friend. Your sweet, amazing boy is surely missed this side of heaven by so many people that never had the privelege of knowing him. His legacy of love, hope and strength is ever lasting!
Holding you close in thought and prayer today more than ever.
Dearest Heather...I will never forget Amazing Jacob or his smile. Thank you for sharing him with us. Praying for you today and always.
This never ceases to amaze me. I have so many websites bookmarked and this morning, I was catching up on some things and noticed your site. Thought to myself, "hmm, haven't checked in with them in a while." Then I find it is the anniversary of Jacob's journey to heaven. Same thing happened to me last year. It really drives home how much impact that little boy had. Every time I hear the song "I love rock and roll," I still think of your Jacob. I still see that handsome smiling face. Thank you again for sharing him with the rest of us. He certainly had a huge impact on me. Peace to you today.
Sincerely,
Angela
Heather,
We are still here from the beginning we followed and prayed for Jacob. We continue to FROG and BELEIVE. I wanted you to know Jacob's journey and wisdom (through your words) continues on in our hearts. Still believing in Boston.
Stacy
Oh Heather it is SO hard to believe Jacob has been gone from this earth for 3 long yet short years! I will be thinking and praying for you all ... God Bless!
Hugs from MN!
Rebekah and her girls
I was just thinking about you a couple of nights ago. And one word came to mind - GRACE. Your faithfullness and grace is amazing. Praying for you and your family.
Peace and Hugs,
Becca
Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.
Jen from WI
Remembering Jacob today and always!
Smile :)
Thinking of you and praying for you! Thank you for sharing Jacob with all of us.
Celebrating Jacob's life here on earth and his journey home on this day. Jacob...BECAUSE of you I give more of myself than before, BECAUSE of YOU, I am a blood donor, BECAUSE of YOU I appreciate every day, BECAUSE of YOU, I have made friends w/Nancy, BECAUSE of YOU I pray harder for a cure for cancer, BECAUSE of YOU I CONTINUALLY FROG!!! Thank you Jacob for all that you have taught and continually teach. Your stay here on earth was brief, but you will always be everlasting in my heart!! Missing you always.....
Thinking of your handsome boy today. And wishing the Duckworth's comfort.
Hello Duckworth Family,
Just wanted you to know that I am still celebrating Jacob's life with you. He was a special little boy and I will forever remember and cherish the lessons I learned from him and all of you.
God Bless,
Dottie
Just stopping by to let you know that I'm thinking of you today and every day. Jacob is one amazing little boy and he will never be forgotten. God bless you all.
I will never forget Jacob, his silliness and his sweet smile. He has etched a place on my heart and I never even met him. How amazing is that?? Thank you, Heather, for sharing Jacob (and your whole family) with all of us. He has truly made a huge impact in my life and in many others!
I'm praying for you today and always.
Love and hugs from MN,
Janet DeRosier
Remembering you in prayer today.
Praying for peace and comfort for the whole Duckworth family today, and always.
Tears Still flood my eyes as I think about Jacob's passing, I remember so vividly that day! It was horrible, unreal, for us! For Jacob, it was Wonderful, He did win, and what a glorious thought knowing that Jacob is Home, SAFE in the arms of God, NEVER to suffer the pains of this world again. I also take comfort in the Firework story you put up on Jacob's site shortly after he passed, that he is still in such Awe of the glory of Heaven that when he turns around to say "Mom, look at this," you will be there with him., he won't even know you've been gone. Praise God that there is that Hope for Eternity, I can't wait to hug Jacob's neck and look into his beautiful blue eyes, Forever!
Jacob, you are missed and Loved SO Very much, you touched so many lives in your 6 years. I am a changed person because of you, I will always think of you with Love in my heart and I look forward to day we are all in Heaven together.
Much Love Duckworth's
I hope, well I know, that you will find the Joy in this vacation. Have fun.
Love, Audra
Hello to you Heather, your husband, children and grandparents. Unbelievable that it has been three years.
Please know that I think of all of you often, and I am still praying without ceasing.
You have a prayer buddy in Iowa.
Kindest regards,
Linda
Hi Heather and family,
I am praying without ceasing for all of you not only today, but so many days over these past several years.
Please know that I still care.
Kindest regards,
Linda
Heather --
Just a quick note to let you know that all of the Duckworth's have been in my thoughts and prayers - including, of course, our dear friend Amazing Jacob! He is missed sorely - by people who never had the opportunity to meet him in person but whose lives have been changed forever by him and his adoring family.
I know in my heart that Jacob is just fine and has been since he won his angel wings. I also know that those who are left behind - who haven't yet experienced the rapture that he has - are the ones who continue to suffer. I wish for all of you peace and comfort in the knowledge of Jacob's happiness.
Been trying to get to a computer all day... Remembering Jacob always! Praying for your family.
Thinking of you all today. And remembering Amazing Jacob who remain a part of my life forever. Thank you for sharing him!
"Angel" Carole
Heather,
It completely amazes me that it has been 3 years since you lost Jacob. I started to read your blog shortly before that, and his life has inspired me in so many ways. I can completely trace our journey to adoption back to him, and I know that he has touched so many in the same way. Thank you so much for continuing to share him with us ... he was so AMAZING!
Happy Birthday Sweet Boy! Keeping your family in my prayers...
Thinking of sweet Jacob!
HI Heather,
It is hard to believe it has been 3 years. I still have his picture on my refrigerator and often guests will ask me who he is and I get to share his story--His life will continue to change others!!
We are headed to The Smoky Mountains soon and I remember you traveling there right after Jacob went to heaven and how you saw triplet baby bears!!
I will be thinking and praying for you family during this time!!
Thinking of you Heather, and all the Duckworth's as you recognize Jacob's 3 years in Heaven. He has changed lives forever, and continues to do so.
Love and prayers,
Janice
North Andover MA
Jacob with the incredible smile! Thank you for allowing us to get to know him and love him these past few years.
I saw a frog tonight as I was watering. I couldn't help but smile as I thought of Jacob. Thinking of you all as you continue to miss him terribly. But, know the hope that you have will one day allow you a Heavenly reunion with him. It will also allow many of us, who have the same hope, to meet him for the first time one day......
Been saying extra prayers for your family! Oh how I miss Jacob!
Know that your family is always in my thoughts and prayers!
Psalms 18:28-30 For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
Prayer Bears
My email address
I will always remember Jacob and look forward to meeting him in heaven one day. You inspire so many with your words and scripture. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family today and every day.
Heather,
((((((((Heather and family)))))))Wrapping you and your family in God's arms as we remember sweet Jacob. I continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
I haven't been doing a good job signing in, but you are never far from my mind. I have never forgotten...never will. I remember the day, remember feeling like the breath had been sucked from my body as I ached all over for you. He was such an amazing boy and taught me SO much about faith and the faithfulness of Jesus. Thank you for sharing his story with us...
the right words always escape me at this time. As Is it with tears streaming down my face. What a beautiful montage. Jacob always makes me smile. Thinking of you and your family
I've been in Destin with no computer access; but please know that I've been praying and remembering your amazing Jacob. There's no doubt in my mind but that HE is in a better place. Even though it's hard to imagine a better place for him than in YOUR arms. But... he was so incredibly sweet.. and just breathtakingly gorgeous. I can't help but to mourn OUR loss... yours, especially, but ALL of ours, too. The "could have.. should have.. would have's" can overwhelm sometimes, and with Jacob, they truly are overwhelming. He had that special "something".. that twinkle in his eye, and that sparkle when he smiled. We won't know, in the here and now, why he didn't get to stay longer; but some day? It will all make sense. I have a feeling that, when we finally get to where he is, we will truly realize how very blessed he was, to be able to go there so soon. Til then, we have faith, hope, and love... and the greatest of those IS love.
With great faith.. with great hope.. and with great love...
Pam
Heather -- This is such a sweet tribute for your amazing son! He continues to touch so many lives!
Jacob will always hold a special place in my heart. Love and prayers.
I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you and your family have been to me. You have all been through so much yet you face each day with faith, hope, and a neverending passion for life. I've never been a very religious individual but reading your blogs have made me rethink my beliefs. If God could get you through the hardships you have had to face he is truly someone I need in my life. Thank you for that and thank you for sharing Jacobs story. I will never ever forget your sweet little boy who went to Heaven well before he should have.
It is hard for me to believe it has been 3 years. I remember the night Jacob died, there had been a call to pray for him. I remember thinking how God answered all of the prayers, but it was not the way we would have liked. I also remember wondering why God had allowed him to live a few months before but wanted to take him then. I am sure your family is over joyed with the extra time you had with him. He is a beautiful boy.
Wanted to share these amazing words of comfort today. Praying!
Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
Prayer Bears
My email address
Happy 4th of July, dear Duckworth family. I hope you have some fun things planned (I'll bet you do!) and your time is safe and happy. I think of you often and pray for you, too.
Much love from MN,
Janet DeRosier
Heather and Donnie, I can't beleive its been 3 yrs. I didn't forget, just was'nt near a computer. I was at the beach, thinking of your sweet Jacob. Just wanted to say, he will always live on in my heart! Hugs from Fort Worth! P.S. enjoy your summer, I'll be checking back in the fall~!
Every time I hear the word frog, I think of Jacob. Looking at these pictures, he had the brightest eyes....it was like God was shining through. What a beautiful tribute.
Post a Comment