Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Nesting

Nesting - a phase mothers go through prior to bringing a baby home where they have an urge to clean one’s house from top to bottom, rearrange everything, and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

Hello friends,

Yep, we are officially in the nesting phase. My house is a disaster zone as we clean out drawers, closets and cabinets. There are still a million and one things that need to be done - and poor Donnie has a never-ending "Honey Do" list. :) But we are nesting with big smiles and so much JOY! Definitely an air of excitement in our house.

It has been 7 years since we've had a baby in the house so we are officially "starting over." I had forgotten how much work it is to prepare for a little one . . . and it is amazing all the "new" stuff that has come out since I had the boys. I am definitely enjoying shopping! Crib bedding has been ordered and Allie's closet is quickly filling up. We are planning on having a garage sale in a couple of weeks and will hopefully be able to start Allie's room once we sell the furniture that is in there now. We are going non-stop - but it is so much FUN! Here's the pattern we decided to do her room in . . . we all just love it!

Donnie and I went away for the weekend - just the two of us! Donnie had won a weekend at the Marriott at the last golf tournament he participated in so we took advantage of a free weekend away . . . something Donnie and I haven't done since the kids were born. We had a fabulous weekend and were so thankful we had the opportunity for some "US" time before Allie came home! Of course we stopped by the store on the way home to do some more baby shopping. It was fun to finally go with Donnie and pick out some things together. I get such a kick out of watching all the men in my life shopping for PINK. Can you just imagine how spoiled this little one will be??

The boys are still writing in their summer journals and this week and I asked them to write about Allie. I enjoyed reading their thoughts on her so much that I thought I would share them with you. I will share Devin's first - written as he wrote it but I am correcting all the spelling mistakes! :)
"We are adopting a child. It is a girl. We are picking her up in about a month. I am very, very happy. When Allie comes home I want to hold her in my arms. The adoption agency sends us little movies of Allie and when they take her picture, she blinks. We are adopting from Guatemala. She is going to have a little bit of brown skin, black hair and brown eyes. She is 5 months old and now we have 7 people in our family. Allie is a cutie-pie. I love ALLIE! I hope she comes home soon!" By Devin
What I liked most is that he said we have 7 people in our family - it warms my heart to know that Jacob will never be forgotten and Allie will always be included!

Thanks so much for all the volcano advice! I've got another question for you all this week . . . for all of you who have a baby in your life - what is one baby product or item you can not live without?? Is there something that your baby loves?? If you have a favorite toy or product that works for your child - let me know . . . I need all the advice I can get! :)

I am working on an update on Jacob's page . . . there is just so much to share with you as we have many events coming up for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation. And don't forget that September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. I need everyone's help to RAISE AWARENESS!

Anyone else finish Harry Potter?? :)

Ending with a scripture . . . so appropriate for this time in our life!

"He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair."
Isaiah 61:3

Filled with joy & praise,

84 comments:

Julie said...

Congratulations on finally being able to shop PINK!
The baby things I couldn´t live without are the exersaucer, Britax Marathon carseat and a Maclaren stroller (ours is a Quest, the pink one is discounted at www.albeebaby.com) for those Disney trips.

Anonymous said...

Heather, Getting ready for baby is so much fun, isn't it?! I am so happy for you guys!! The one product I can't live without is a diaper rash cream called Triple Paste. None of the other diaper rash creams worked for my kids except this one. They sell it at my local Wal-Mart. Good Luck to you on your new arrival.

Sarah said...

Heather, I am so excited for you as you "nest" for baby Allie's homecoming!! Yes, I remember that so well! I LOVE the fabric you chose... I love dragonflies and ladybugs too! Her nursery will be so cute!!

As far as baby items that I LOVED... the exersaucer was great, the Baby Bjorn carrier, Gymboree's blankets, the Britax Marathon carseat and even though we did not use it much, Bodreaux Butt Paste (in addition to it working virtually overnight, it gives you a giggle every time you pick it up)!!

But the absolute BEST item ever is a Kangaroclaroo carrier... not even sure they sell them anymore as I bought it over 15 years ago and it has been ALL of my kids favorite seats to sit in, eat in, sleep in, etc. and Sophie uses it still today to nap in (she will not nap in her crib) since she is still so tiny!!.

Hope you are stocking up on BOWS for her hair!! I know you are absolutely loving buying pink!!

Praying for PINK to come soon! Call me, I can't wait to talk to you!

Love and FROG!

Sarah and Sophie~Bug

Chris and Erin said...

Hi! Congrats on the new little girl! Yay! My sister swears by this item:
2 + 2 Baby Feeder Starter Kit From Baby's R Us... it is great. You can put a small piece of fruit in it and not worry about the baby choking. And during Teething it is amazing!

Twisted Branches said...

My necessity was the baby Bjorn for sure! The second girly was very snuggly and was not happy being away from me. This saved our sanity.

Love the journal entry. Your boys are just too sweet. And Allie's bedding is perfect! I can't wait to see the nursery completed. Of course, won't be officially complete until Allie is in that crib!
We're praying daily for her homecoming. :)

The Intentional Mother said...

As the mom of a 7 month old myself, my list may be long!

1- Britax Boulevard carseat- Britax safety and quality is unbeatable. You are able to keep a child in a 5 point harness longer, which is far safer!

2- Jumperoo- They are space hogs, but both of my kids have loved them. It buys me time to shower...which is kind of critcal!

3- Bourdeaux Butt Paste- It's a little tube of miracles!

4- Pampers Baby Dry diapers- They have strechy sides now. Cheaper than Cruisers, but just as good in my opinion! FYI...Amazon has "diaper subscriptions" now. It is GREAT! They send you diapers on a monthy basis (ours arrive next day and shipping is free) and I pay less per diaper than from Target or Wal-mart. With a big family, it is convienent and diapers take up a lot of cart space in the grocery store!

5- Instep jogging stroller- We have a 10 year old and we often have to "off road" to get to soccer matches or ball games. The jogger pushes effortlessly over grass. Make sure the front wheel swivels...it makes all of the difference

6- Playtex Hip Hammock- Great carrier for an older baby. It gives you the option to be hands free when another child needs you!

Okay I'll stop there...I have more if you want them!

Anonymous said...

My favorite item would have to be the Baby Motzart DVD by Einstien this is sure to give you a half hour of free time or give you enough time to get dinner started or do a load of laundry. It plays Motzart music and has moving objects and things babies are mezmerized by it.

Anonymous said...

hey heather!!! i am so excited to meet my new cousin!!!! we have also enjoyed doing some PINK shopping!:) i do miss buying for a little girl...:) the fabric is too cute!! i had so many favorite baby items with greyson! pampers swaddlers, playtex bottles, gerber binkies, liquid powder, the list could go on & on...:) we are PRAYING for ya'll!!! hope to see you guys in october!!! love ya-laura

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!

I am Susan Amato's daughter-in-law, Kristin. I have been following you guys for a couple of years now, but I don't sign as often as I should. You and your precious family are always in my thoughts and prayers, though.

Anyway...you picked a topic that I LOVE to talk about...babies. I have 2 little girls, Karli (7 months) and Kayla (2 years). The two things both of my girls LOVE(D) is their jumperoo and the Baby Einstein videos. Allie will be a perfect age for both of those, too.

When Allie gets a little older, the next thing she (and you) won't be able to live w/o is a Car DVD player. With all of those boys, I am sure you already have a head start with that one.

Well, the fabric is precious, and I am just overjoyed for you guys!

Love, Kristin

Becky G said...

Ok. So, I'm not a new mom anymore, my little boy is now 5 years old. I love the UMix bottles (www.itsybitsybabies.com). You can keep the formula separate from the water, but just flip the top up when you are ready to mix them. I know you live in FL, but I also really loved the wearable safety blankets.

LIBSMOM said...

Hello again from Riverview!
I can't tell you how the chills ran up and down my spine when I saw the fabric you have picked out for Allie's room. Dragonflies hold a very very special place in my heart and they bring good luck to those who love them :)
Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy!! She is SO beautiful and definitely heaven sent.
It's been 6 years since I've had a baby in the house and never have I had a baby girl so I'm at a loss for all things girlie or baby :)
We are embarking on our own adoption journey and will think of you and your happiness and joy along our way.
Thinking of you and your family always as I see countless rainbows over our area!
Pam Nash and family

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Allie finally coming home!!! There are a few items that I could not have lived without with a little guy in the house:
1. Booster seat high chair - we actually got rid of our traditional high chair and used one of these. When it got dirty, the entire thing folded up and went into the dishwasher. It saved hours of clean-up and allowed our guy to sit at the table with us during meals.
2. Britax carseat - it was heavy, but always felt safe. It also sits up high enough for them to see out the windows.
3. Johnny-Jump-Up - this saved me a million times when trying to get housework done.
4. A cheap umbrella stroller. It was easier to move around in crowded stores and light to carry. I would not use it all the time, but well worth the $15 to use occasionally. It was also great for travel due to its weight and our lack of concern when it was tossed around by the airlines. If it broke...no big deal. When our travel system stroller was tossed and broken, we were devastated, but this is virutally indestructable and cheap.

Sarah said...

Hi Heather! Isn't it fun getting ready for a baby?! I love that you're having the boys keep a journal this summer, and their messages are just too sweet! The one product I couldn't have gone without was the baby sling - especially with my second child, who had to come along to dance rehearsals and gymnastics practices at a very young age - it was great to just snuggle him close and go on with what I had to do. When he was older, he could sit up in the sling (almost as if being carried on my hip, but securely attached to me at the same time!). I also really loved my exersaucer - I don't think I could have taken a shower without it! There's also a really cool baby tool for when they start wanting to chew pieces of food but you're afraid of them choking, it's a mesh piece that is attached to a handle and you can put pieces of strawberry or watermellon or things like that and they can have the pleasure of chewing on them without choking - I think it's called the baby safe feeder. I guess that was more than one thing, wasn't it?! Babies are just such fun to shop for!! Thank you for sharing this exciting time in your lives with us!

Anonymous said...

I followed you from Jacob's site...my daughter is the same age as your boys, and my middle son is 3. Now, I have an almost 7 month old boy as well. I miss buying little girl stuff! (Feeling a little jealous here...)

The thing my baby loves more than anything is his bouncy seat. We haven't even replaced the batteries to make it vibrate because he kicks SO hard and bounces himself, at times making his head bounce off the seat. It is his FAVORITE! Good luck. Thanks for keeping all of us posted about your life. You are such a witness! Kelley from Georgia

Anonymous said...

I love the bedding. I can't wait to see pics of Allie's room. Keep having fun picking out all that wonderful baby stuff!

One thing that we love is the Baby Einstein Discover & Play Activity Gym. It seems to keep babies busy for ever, we love to watch our baby laugh and play on this. It was a shower gift and brings the most fun so far.

Laurie said...

Hi Heather,

I'm so happy for you and your family. I have an almost 3 month old and a 3 year old. With this one, I LOVE my Peanut Shell Sling or Baby Bjorn. Depending on the child, of course, but mine loves it. Also, now they have these Bumbos. As soon as your baby can support their head, they can sit upright in them even before they sit up on their own. Allie may already be able to sit up, though. But they can be used for much longer. I agree with Boudreaux Butt Paste. It's a miracle worker. I can't wait to hear that she is home.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on everything. The one baby thing my husband swears we need to give as a baby shower gift for every person we know who has a baby from here on out is the Fisher-Price Healthy Care Booster Seat. She won't use it for a little while, but once she is in a high chair, it is PRICELESS for taking out to eat or on the road to anyplace that doesn't have a regular high chair. You can attach it to any chair plus it has a tray (which most restaurant high chairs don't) that is removable and has a lid so you can just close it up and clean it when you get home. I will also agree with the Butt Paste recommendations, it works and it doesn't smell like diaper ointment and we love our Britax carseat too.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Here is one thing I absolutely could not live without...A Babe Ease Clean Shopper (available on Amazon.com) I was so paranoid about germs and bacteria from shopping carts, restaurant high chairs, etc that I carried Lysol wipes and spray everywhere spending alot of time wiping things down -- not easy to do with a baby who can't entertain herself for very long. This was the best product I could ever find. It packed up small and attached easily for me to just drop the baby into and off we went! When I got home it went into the washing machine and back into the bag for our next trip....I now have several of them, so I don't have to wash them right away (though they do make disposable versions too). Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Heather~
How very exciting for you guys. I know Allie is blessed to have such an amazing Mom, Dad and brothers.

The most important item to have with a newborn is love...you definitely have that, so let's move on to the other things :-)

All great ideas and I concur on the Britax and the jumpy seat. For a travel stroller I have loved my Combi. For the bedding - a sheet protector that snaps on for easy washing and changing. I had two and used them until our little guy was 3. Dr. Brown's bottles for feeding.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Thanks for keeping all of us updated,
Megan

Audra said...

Awww...what treasures to have, the journal that the boys are keeping are going to be priceless! I just love Devin's journal, esp. the part where he says she is going to have a little bit of brown skin, How cute is that! Of course I like how he says your family will be of 7, because it will be!
Your scripture brought chills, I Love it, how true and fitting is that!
I Love you all! I am so happy for the Joy that is filling your days.
Love,
Audra (Tyler, TX)

Anonymous said...

Hi - I haven't signed before but I have been following Jacob's site for a couple of years. But since you asked about our favorite baby things I had to sign in on this one. My daughter is 2 1/2 and my favorite thing was the Bundle Me by JJ Cole (you can find it at Target.com as well as other places). They have a light version as well. It is great in the car seat as well as the stroller. I used mine in the stroller in the mornings when we would walk. My daughter would always kick off her blanket and I felt like I was stopping and picking up the blanket more than I was walking. But not after I started using the Bundle Me! Anyway, you can use this Bundle Me and they don't have to have a coat/jacket on - it is so nice and cozy. I have bought one for all of my friends that have had babies since and they also love it! There is an infant size and one for 1-3 years old. And I will agree with the Bumbo seat. We have two in home day-cares in our neighborhood and the ladies love them! The kids can sit up and watch everything and they don't tip over!! Keeps them a little bit happier. Sorry for the long update - we wish you the best of luck with Allie and have a wonderful trip!

Ween said...

I am so excited for you guys!! I love reading about you shopping for pink. Since I have 3 boys, I really get excited buying for friends who are expecting little girls - the stuff is TOO CUTE! Oh my, I would totally be in the poorhouse - pink, pink, pink!!

The one thing I couldn't live w/o is a video baby monitor. It's nice to be able to hear AND see what your kiddo is doing in there after you lay them down.
I also used one in my 2 year olds room. He was a climber and I needed to know he wasn't on top of anything when he was suppose to be laying down for a nap :)

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to check in real quick. Devin's journaling about Allie was so sweet! :)
As far as baby items- sorry- I don't have kids; therefore I wouldn't be of much help! =Þ

Smile :)

Anonymous said...

I've been attached to your family ever since I found Jacob's Caringbridge site about two years ago. I'm a fostermom and I just take babies...baby girls! I have a lot of "stuff", much of which I could live without, but not the swing. It's a must! And the dresses, and bows, and bracelets....they caused my Ebay addiction!
I wish one of my babies was coming to your home, but I'm so happy Allie is. She's a lucky little girl!

Dixie in CA

Anonymous said...

okay, i have a five month old right now and the things we use the most are his sling i bought mine from slinglings.com buy two and get one free (i do attachment parenting :) so he is always hanging off me. oh yes and the bumbo seat. i also have a two year old so we have a double stroller. a stroller is a must have. oh and we are also in love with babylegs. we have wooden floors and it protects against knee burns, etc when they start crawling. they have some really cute ones on their site :)

Anonymous said...

So excited for you! I have a 2 year old daughter and these are a few of the things I could not live without:

Britax Marathon Carseat. We weren't sure about spending so much money when there are other options out there...but we are so happy we did. Our daughter is just so comfy cozy in this seat and it makes long trips so much easier because she doesn't fuss as much. She also sits up nice and high in it and so she can see out the windows better. It goes up to 80lbs (I believe)which is great. Also the cover slips on and off fairly easily for washing...etc and it comes with a "belly pad" and strap covers for even more comfort and convenience.

Bourdeaux Butt Paste - Works like a charm if she's a little irritated or starting to get a rash. Plus I love the name. I believe Oprah talked about it on her show a number of years ago.

Bumbo Seat - It's a great little seat that holds baby upright for feedings...etc. It's like an extra set of hands and you can take it to a restaurant and put it right on the table so she can really be a part of the group!

Ultimate Crib Sheet (I think that's the name??) - It lays on top of the mattress and has a built in mattress pad for leaks..etc. When you want to wash it you just unsnap it and throw it in the wash. It doesn't go around the mattress so it's SO much easier to change the sheets. They only come in white (I believe) so I keep the cute girly fitted sheet on the mattress underneath this ultimate sheet so from the side view you aren't looking at the bare mattress.

Swing - I can't say enough about our swing. It kept our daughter so happy and content and she took a lot of naps there for the first year of her life. Make sure to get one that goes both front to back and side to side. In case she prefers one over the other.

Baby Safe Feeder - mesh bag with a handle that you can put cut up fruit, ice...etc. in and she can suck on it and gum it and not choke. Great for a teething baby...our daughter loved ice in it!!

Well..that's more than one item but I couldn't help myself!! HAVE FUN SHOPPING!!!

kate523 said...

Congratulations! Babies are so much fun. I would love to have another one.

My favorite things:

Pampers Cruisers - Both Baby dries and Huggies leaked always with my son.

A good diaper pail - Mine is discountinued. However, daiper Genie 2 is just as good.

Bouncey seat - I had a fisher price vibrating one. At one point it was the only place my son would nap. It converts to a toddler rocker that we're still using.

A travel booster/high chair. I have the safety first model. If I would have known about it sooner, I would have never bought a large high chair. My son's 3 and we still use it.

Pack and play.

Last but not least - lots and lots of books! My husband thought I was nuts to read to our son at 2 weeks old. Now at 3, that's his favorite activity next to going outside and playing ball.

Kate

Anonymous said...

HI Duckworth's,
I'm very excited for you all!!!
Here's a couple of things I will add...some already took mine!!! The net thing you put fruit in is a must!! I used to put frozen melon in it & even ice cubes when the teething started!!!
A mirror to hang on the back of your seat so you can look in the rearview mirror to see the little one, since she'll have a few more months of being backwards!!! They didn't have the fancy new car ones, we just put one of the toys we had!!!
The Nuby sippy cup...nice transitional because it's soft like a bottle, here's a link...http://www.amothersdreams.com/pd_nuby_nospill_gripper.cfm
I think you can find them at like Wal-mart type stores and they are pretty inexpensive (about $1 or $2)
Also instead of baby laundry detergent we just used All Clear for the whole family!!!
Make sure to sign up at Gerber.com to get lots of coupons in the mail & online!!!

Praying for that sweet baby to get home soon!!!
Always FROGgin!!!
SS

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I am so excited for you and the family. Love the new web site. I know from experience that life is about to change again for you. There are 7 years difference between my little boy Austin and my little girl Ashlyn. A WONDERFUL AJUSTMENT! One thing that I couldn't live without is a wipe warmer and my bottle warmers. Great things to have. AND HAVE LOTS OF BOWS ON HAND!

Anonymous said...

We are with you all the way. I am glad you have found a way to keep in touch while still moving toward your new life with Allie. Our prayers will always be with your family...and with Jacob.

Dina said...

I am so excited for your family. I can tell you are having so much fun shopping and preparing. I totally agree with the butt paste and anything Baby Enstein. We could not live without the Fisher Price Aquarium for the crib/changing table.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, again, on the new addition! I just love shopping for baby stuff! The only problem is, my baby is almost 5 now! Anyway, the one baby thing I couldn't live without is his baby monitor! I still use it today, even though he's almost 5, so if he has a bad dream, has a coughing spell, or just needs mommy :-)in the middle of the night I can be right there. It's also a great tool to listen to him playing in his room in his "pretend mode". I also have to agree w/the butt paste suggestions. It literally cleared up my son's rash overnight.
Anyway, my prayers are with you and I am so very happy for all of you. You have certainly been 'touched by an angel' that we all know & love!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

My baby is 13 months old, and my oldest is 7, and I was amazed at everything that has come out in that time. My favorite new product is a Bumbo. It is a pretty compact foam seat that they can sit in, but not get up from. They can actually sit in it as soon as they can hold up their head. We started using it at 6 weeks, and we kept using it till Joey was about 9 months - but you can use it longer. I loved it b/c it is relatively small, and we used it instead of a highchair for a long time. It's easy to throw in the car and take with you, and you can use it outside with no problem. Also, I love the bouncy seats that vibrate and have things to look at, and the Johnny Jump-up things that you hang in the doorway and they can bounce in it. And, when you are ready for a highchair, I love the new ones with the removable tray inserts so you don't have to wash the whole tray every time, and try them out in the store to make sure the tray is easy to get on and off - it makes a huge difference! SO happy for y'all!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for all of you! We LOVED the exersaucer - it was great for little ones to keep them entertained and in one place. A true help when preparing dinner, etc. We also loved triple paste

Anonymous said...

So exciting! I feel like I'm actually "there"...seeing this all unfold. I can't wait until Allie comes home too! As far as baby products I can't live without (proud mother of 3 children - ages 11, 3 and 6 mos)...a little book called "Who Loves Me"..it's "chewable", lol, and you put your family pictures in it for the baby to look at. Also a little octopus toy called Baby Whoozit..it's the neatest thing ever...and our Violet loves them both! You can get them both at Target (type in whoozit on target.com and it has a picture). Sorry for the long post! Just trying to help. :)

Unknown said...

Cant wait to read your responses. We are adopting from China! I have been reading your blog for sometime and am still praying for your family

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Allie coming home soon. There are several products I highly recommend. 'The Ultimate' crib sheet lays over the top your decorative sheet and snaps around the rails. For teething pain Hylands Teething Tablets - they are homeopathic and work like a charm, Dr. Browns bottles and Mylicon Gas Drops for tummy problems. Happy Shopping! Good Luck and God Bless your growing family!

Anonymous said...

MACLAREN strollers! WE LOVE THEM! I can't say enough good things. I have persuaded LOTS of Guatemama's to fork out the $$ on them & they ALL have loved them. You gotta have it! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, finished HP the day it came out and LOVED it! Won't say more because some people read slower and I don't want to ruin it for them. As for giving baby advice to a mother of four (including triplets, no less!!!!) - well, I feel a little foolish in doing so, especially since I only have one child. But, I couldn't be without the medicated Desitin (diaper creme); and because my son developed a slight milk intolerance when he moved to whole milk, we spent several years on Senakot (a natural laxative that kept him "moving" regularly). Also, 13 years ago, Huggies were the best disposable diapers - never leaked. Oh, and before you buy a Snugli or any other kind of wearable baby carrier, try to borrow one first and try it out with Allie - not all babies like them, my son hated the Snugli, and I wasted that money (well, not entirely, I gave it someone else who used it well!). Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Love all the new pink clothing and bedding!! I'm so very happy for you that when I read you blog I just sit with tears in my eyes!! Much Love, Sherri

www.caringbridge.org/oh/kara

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Congratulations! For me, the most indispensable baby item has been my baby carriers which allow me to have my hands free while keeping my baby close. The Bjorn is okay - but has a low weight limit and can only be worn on the front.
Here are my three favorites:
Ergo (www.ergobabycarrier.com)-Baby can be worn on the front, back or hip. Its very comfortable and can be used for a baby up to 40lbs!

A Mei Tai (www.kozycarrier.com or www.babyhawk.com) - similar to the ergo, but with strap that tie instead of buckle. (Meaning it can easily be switched between wearers without having to readjust straps.) And they come in pretty designs!
A pouch sling (www.hotslings.com)- a very convenient carrier - its very easy to get baby/toddler in and out. Can support baby up to 35 lbs. Plus it folds up tiny to fit in a diaper bag or purse.
Good luck and congrats again!!!!

Katie said...

Oh, and cloth diapers have come a long way too! We loooove our "BumGenius" one-size fits all diapers (http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=98&products_id=954) and would never go back to disposables. Its a bit of an investment up front, but saves lots of money in the long run. Just something to consider.

snekcip said...

Let me begin by saying I LOVE YOUR FAMILY and WILL FOREVER CHERISH THE MEMORY OF AMAZING JACOB!! I have followed your family for a long time and just overjoyed with the newest addition, Sweet Allie! I'm even more overjoyed that we ALSO have a new addition to our family, We are named legal guardians to Bree and in the near future look to adopting this sweet 3 1/2 month old! It has been quite awhile since we have had a new baby in our home as well! Bree has been in our life since she was born! We have 4 kids of our own, ages, 25, 22, 19, and 17! While a lot has changed since we had a "little one" I have got to say the thing WE CANT LIVE WITHOUT IS "THE BOPPY", this thing was HEAVEN SENT!! Our Bree loves this pillow and sleeping "issues" were soon a thing of the past. I had only wished we had one when our KIDS were babies! THIS IS DEFINITELY A MUST HAVE

"New mommy" at 43

snekcip said...

Let me begin by saying I LOVE YOUR FAMILY and WILL FOREVER CHERISH THE MEMORY OF AMAZING JACOB!! I have followed your family for a long time and just overjoyed with the newest addition, Sweet Allie! I'm even more overjoyed that we ALSO have a new addition to our family, We are named legal guardians to Bree and in the near future look to adopting this sweet 3 1/2 month old! It has been quite awhile since we have had a new baby in our home as well! Bree has been in our life since she was born! We have 4 kids of our own, ages, 25, 22, 19, and 17! While a lot has changed since we had a "little one" I have got to say the thing WE CANT LIVE WITHOUT IS "THE BOPPY", this thing was HEAVEN SENT!! Our Bree loves this pillow and sleeping "issues" were soon a thing of the past. I had only wished we had one when our KIDS were babies! THIS IS DEFINITELY A MUST HAVE

"New mommy" at 43

snekcip said...

Sorry about the "double post" but I had to add ONE more MUST HAVE!! It's called a PODEE, it's a "portable bottle" that is PERFECT for those times when "mommie's hands" can't hold the bottle due to driving, pushing a shopping cart etc!!! I LOVE MINE, you can purchase this at Babies R Us or you can go online and type in PODEE!! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting...Allie is almost HOME! The one thing I absolutely LOVED with both my babies was our sling by Slingezee. I have also seen some that are a mess type material for in pools or when it is HOT (like Florida). I will post other things when I can remember what they used the most...it has been almost 4 years since a baby has been in our house!

Anonymous said...

So excited for you guys!!
I have to agree with the Boudreaux Butt Paste. It never fails!
I also think that a swing/jumparoo/bouncer are godsends! Definitely something that allows you shower time!
My other thing I absolutely love is Johnson and Johnson All Over Baby Wash, its shampoo, its soap, and it doesn't make my kid cry! The lavender one is great for bedtime.

Anonymous said...

With all the baby product suggestions, I have only one, and it doesn't cost anything - lots of love and more love. I know that is plentiful in your house. Taking care of a baby is like riding a bike --- once you have learned how to, you can always get back on again.

Wishing you all the best. I love Devin's journal entry about Allie.

Elinor, Heron Glen

Anonymous said...

I just thought of a couple things. I know someone wrote Huggies never leaked. We used these & found that to be true. We also tried the Sam's Club Member Mark diapers and never had any trouble when ours got a little older. Just thought you should know more diapers for the money. (We also converted a couple of friends to them as well). Sam's Club also has Member Mark wipes that work well. They don't have any of that baby wipe odor.

Ok I know us mommies love to save money!!!

FROGgin
SS

Anonymous said...

Heather and family, I am soooooooooooo happy to hear that Allie is YOURS! I am in tears and have goosebumps. Allie couldnt have found a better family. Congrats to you all, and we know Jacob is celebrating too!
Still fondly remembering Jacob,
Stephanie in KY

Anonymous said...

Heather, Donnie and Boys--
wow sounds like you all are having a great time shopping for girlie things... hmm heather i really cant tell ya anything babish cause my baby is 5 but she is a girl and i asked her and she said mom tell miss heather she has to make baby allie a build a bear with a heart beat.She says momma there is a frog there at build a bear so it can be from Jacob to Allie. So coming from a little girl there ya go. I am so happy for you all (((hugs))) looks like tim should be coming home sometime in Dec so our Fl trip might be in jan feb time i will let you know for sure when it comes closer. hugs from the Thackers in Tx

Layne said...

A Bumbo is a must. You can get them at Target and Babies R us.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your little girl. I have 3 boys (twins that are 22 months and a 4 month old) so I am fasinated by those who get to do PINK.
I would recommend the exersaucer, a wipe warmer (makes diaper changes less uncomfortable and helps rashes)and some type of back pack carrier (or front pack). I use my strap on carrier the most, they come in all shapes and sizes and leave my hands free to help my other two boys.

Julie said...

Hello,
I've followed your journey with Jacob and on to this little new one you are adopting - with laughter and tears for your family. I'm so happy for you all and know this addition will be so joyously received. I must tell you of my one favorite product. It is the Mom-and-Me-Creations pea in a pod pouch/sling made by Jen Backus here http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/. I believe her site was the one that directed me to your sweet Jacob. Her son is also struggling with cancer. This sling has been a life-saver for me with my 4 kids. It is the comfiest sling I've had and is very trim and hip-looking. Take care and enjoy your precious family.
Julie

Anonymous said...

I am a mom of a 9 month old little girl, and the one product I couldn't live without is my handheld video monitor. It's white and silver and says "Summer" at the top of the handheld piece (I guess Summer is the brand). It's not cheap, about $170, but the peace of mind it brings is priceless. I can see my little girl in her crib and know she's ok without having to go in her room (and risk waking her up). We've used it since the first day of her life, and we LOVE it. It has worked great . . . we've had no problems with it. Worth every penny.

Anonymous said...

COngrats on bringing ALlie home soon. I am a long time lurker adding my favorite baby/kid item. I LOVE the Kinderzeats!!!!

http://www.greatbeginningsonline.com/store/item.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=108&ITEM_ID=15349

At first my husband wasn't amused when I bought two of them but he also loves them! They are very comfortable for the kids and much more convenient then a high chair. They are easy to clean and the baby can join the family at the dinner table. They also grow with your kids.

My "babies" are now 5 and 7 and no where near giving up their seats. I also agree with the suggestion for the Britax car seats. My kids are still in them (the Husky) and I feel so much better knowing they are the safest people in the car! I would get the Marathon because it can rear-face but will last longer then the Roundabout. My newborns went into a Roundabout and then moved into the Husky.

I would also spend the extra $$ for a better stroller like a Peg Pergo P3. http://www.barebabies.com/plikoseries.html
It has a step on back so one of the boys can hop on also. We still use our older model with the kids on trips to Disney etc. It folds down so small and we never have had any problems when we gate check it at an airport!

Best of luck and I can't wait to see Allie come home!

Anonymous said...

Heather and family,
So many times I have tried to leave a comment in your guestbook, while Jacob was ill, after his passing, etc. and I don't know what stopped me from doing so. Perhaps it was never finding just the right words to say how much I admired your family, how sad I was for you when Jacob passed away. I have been following your recent journey as you add Allie to your family and I can no longer sit back and be silent. I have read your last two entries and have had tears of joy streaming down my face. I am so in awe of the Duckworth family, how they have handled their sorrows and their joys. I do believe that following your family's journey has made me a better person because I have learned from the Duckworths about love and faith that I truly did not know existed.

Michelle said...

The sheet protector that snaps over the crib sheet--came from Babies 'R' Us--it was so great when the diaper leaked!!! You don't have to take the whole bedding apart--only the top sheet!!! I suggest 2!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your family on your adoption. We have an adopted niece from Korea that is going to be six this year. She has blessed our lives since her arrival at seven months old.
I am giving you TWO things you need, one specifically a girl thing I had NO idea about as I had a boy first then my girl, the other just an any gender need:

1. Nystatin. You can look it up, no explanation needed.

2. Bouncy seat. I am sure there is a newer, mack daddy version since my last little one. They are all around entertaining.

PS Girls do not pee pee at you like boys when you change their diapers...they pee pee down into the couch or changing pad!! Good to know!

ENJOY and God bless!!

Anonymous said...

You always inspire me to be a better mother and I love the scriptures and quotes that you include in your post. To this day, every time I see a cardinal I think of amazing Jacob and to fully rely on God for he is faithful. I have a 10 month old son & wanted to let you know that the Publix premium diapers and the Wal-Mart brand "Parents Choice" baby wipes work just as good as the more expensive brands! Good Luck & Congrats on your beautiful daughter. I just love her chubby cheeks!

Anonymous said...

Just a note on something I was so glad to have when we adopted our baby girl in Guatemala. Being a little of a germ fanatic, the thought of giving her bottles that were not sanitized bothered me. I took a bottle warmer with me so that I would be able to warm her bottles. I used Platex bottles so the liners were disposable but the nipples were not. Once I had gone through all of her clean nipples, I hesitated to simply hand wash them in tap water that we were not allowed to drink. Since necessity is the mother of invention, I soon discovered a better use for the bottle warmer. I would put the nipples in the warmer in place of the bottle, cover them with water, turn in to high, and plug it in. It actually brought the water to a slight boil and wah lah....sanitized nipples. You would probably do fine without it considering Allie has spent her first months in much less than sterile conditions but your nesting won't end for a while and you may find that it is comforting to feed your baby from sterile bottles. Anyway, it is just a thought.

Blessings in Christ,
April

Anonymous said...

Heather--congratulations! It has been so much fun reading all of your family's updates. A wipe warmer is a must. I rolled my eyes when I saw this in Babies R Us (we didn't even register for one!), but Grandma insisted...and we love it! Of course, the kids love it too and look at us like we're terrible parents when we have to use a cold wipey (they make travel wipe warmers too!). While we loved many items, this one was a surprise to us. :)

Amy said...

I think I told you before about my daughter, Savannah's 'Baby Kelly'. It's a soft pink baby that says 'babies first doll' on it. It used to have a rattle inside but not after many washes. She loves this doll!!

Anonymous said...

I don't often leave messages but I have been following your journey for quite some time. Your family is so inspiring to say the least. I'm so excited about your new bundle of joy. I have a 2 and 4 year old and I have to say that the Maclaren stroller is a must!! I have the Quest and it's so easy to maneuver...it's lightweight yet sturdy and has lasted me since my first daughter (about 3 1/2 years now). I've also seen comments about the Britax car seats. I have 2 Marathon's and they are excellent! Worth every penny. I'm a stay at home mom so money is tight but those 2 items are soooo worth it! Enjoy!! (oh and you can usually find those items new on ebay for a fraction of what you would pay in the store)

Anonymous said...

Just so you'll know...Consumer's Report rates the Britax Roundabout far above the Britax Marathon, especially in all studies related to crashes.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

While I don't often sign your guestbook, I just want you to know that I am over the moon at the news that your sweet Allie will be coming home soon. My husband is from Guatemala and has tons of family there. So, if you have any questions about places to go, things to do, please feel free to shoot me an email at legalwriter3@aol.com.

As far as the baby item I couldn't live without, I'd have to agree with the Britax carseat. We bought the carrier, and my daughter, who is almost five, is in the Marathon. It has worked very, very well for us. Also, Boudreaux's Butt Paste worked wonders for my daughter's diaper rashes.

Praying that everything goes smoothly as you bring your sweet Allie home.

Dianna

Anonymous said...

Dearest Duckworths,Ohhhhh..You can just feel the excitement in the air when you update, amid the looks of pure joy on the faces of the boys.How cute are those baby clothes? And the theme for Allie's room is precious.She is one blessed little girl. Like so many others I can't wait to read that you are on your way to pick her up and bring her home forever. Keeping you all close in thoughts and prayers along with the foster mom and tummy mummy.Amazing Jacob..I know your looking down from above and sharing in all the joy of your new baby sister, what an *Awesome* big brother you are.:) Karen..In Pa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on little Allie. I DEFINITELY can't live without the Incredible Crib Sheet. It goes over your normal crib sheet and snaps around the crib railings. That way, when baby "messes" the crib, you only have to unsnap the sheet rather than completely taking over the normal crib sheet, bumper pad, etc. to change it. It's truly fabulous.
Amy - Atlanta

Anonymous said...

And, one more MUST HAVE...Dr. Brown's bottles. They are designed to reduce air. My 5 week old loves them and so does his mom as a happy baby means a happy mommy!!
Amy - Atlanta

Anonymous said...

Heather - Congratulations to you & your wonderful family! Little girls are so great & so much fun and soooooo expensive! Shopping for them is endless because there's so much to buy! My daughter is 19years old and I haven't stopped buying for her yet! The great thing is, we can now share,so, when that happens with Allie, divide the cost by 2. It'll make more "cents!" Not really sure what the item is that we couldn't do without. There are so many new products on the market now than when I had my two children. I also have a son who is 14 yrs old. I think I was never without Vaseline and/or A & D Ointment. It's too pitiful to have a red bottom! I'll continue to ck your page. You write beautifully! Lots and Love & Prayers to all of you! *Jenifer*

Anonymous said...

congratulations to your hole family
in the coming home of ally. i bet you all cant wait! um my daughter loved those battery operated fish tanks that you hang in the crib and plays music. she slept with it till she was almost 4. what a life saver. i know the boys cant wait to play with her.
good luck all!!

Anonymous said...

My baby item I could not live without is the BOGGY COVER for when you go shopping! I know this comes as NO SURPRISE as a cancer mom!!! It just gives you that EXTRA protection from GERMS!!!! Also, I have a great recipe for HOMEMADE BABY WIPES! I figured up in the 4 years (yes....4!!!) that Braydon was not potty trained I saved close to $1300 on baby wipes alone!! Not to mention MOST baby wipes you buy in the store have CHLORINE in them (unless they are organic) EWWWW! I will email you the wipe recipe! Not to mention it would be something fun for the boys to help with-easy recipe!

Anonymous said...

I'm a mom of seven, and here are some of our favorites:
Baby Bjorn carrier
Baby Einstein DVDs
Ultimate Crib sheets mentioned by others
A car seat that will snap onto the stroller
Bumbo seat with a tray
We used to like those doorway jumpers, but got baby #7 a Fisher Price Rain Forest Jumperoo and he loves it. It is a jumper with its own base so it is safer and doesn't have to be in a doorway!
Huggies Supreme Diapers and wipes. Don't get cheap wipes!
A couple of zippered lingerie bags. Put them with her hamper and toss in little socks etc. so they don't get lost.

Of course, you already have the "stuff" that she really needs more than anything - love for her, love for each other, and love for the Lord. I am crying tears of joy with you!!!

Anonymous said...

One must have for me are the little cloth covers that go around the car seat straps. My oldest got so many chapped and red marks from the seat belt straps rubbing against her neck. We bought these and she STILL wears them at 5. You can find them at WalMart, Target, BabiesRUs, just about anywhere. They even have cute ones now with lady bugs, butterflies, etc on them. Our second girl has not gone on one car ride without them! Good luck with your new little bundle of pink!

Anonymous said...

my fav. was the jumperoo. my daughter would sit in it for hours if i let her.

Winters Family said...

I have been following Jacob's website for a long time now, but I have never posted, but ya'll have always been in my thoughts and prayers and continue to be.

I saw your posting about the one thing you can not live without with a new baby. I have a 6 month old, so I went home and asked my husband what was the one thing we could not live without and he said it is the Rainforest Jumperoo, which can be found at Wal-Mart. I know at first she will not be put down because everybody will be holding her but she will be able to get in it as soon as she gets home.

Also I have found that the beechnut baby food has a better selection than gerber.

Hope this helps. Wish ya'll all the best.

Wendy Winters
Americus, GA

Angela said...

Congrats! I am so excited for you all as you welcome Allie home.

Anonymous said...

Can't live without these two things: The Clean Shopper and The Clean Diner -- they are drop-in covers for shopping carts and restaurant high chairs -- they drop right in easily, are made of thick washable fabric and keep your baby from chewing on/touching any of the cart or high chair surface. They're about $30 each -- worth it ten times over! Happy shopping!

Anonymous said...

As I scan your comments, I haven't seen an answer to your HARRY POTTER question! While I can't help much with baby advice (my youngest of four is now 6-1/2), I CAN tell you that I am halfway through Harry Potter and can't wait to find out how it ends!! I have been so busy with preparing for a new job, redecorating bedrooms, planning our vacation, etc., that I can't sit and read for as long as I'd like to. J.K. Rowling is a brilliant author and has such a way of captivating her readers!

So anxious to see pictures of Allie with her big brothers!

Best wishes to you all!

Anonymous said...

the mei tei baby carrier.. it will last LONG past the cuddle age into the toddler age.. (I have seen moms wearing their babies at age 3!!)

Bailee said...

I know i am not a mom yet but i do babysit all the time!! and i dont know if this has been said yet but the aquarium cradle swing by fisher price has to be my favorite baby item because it plays music and it has a mobile and it lights up and my cousin when he was little just loved it he slept in that most nights when he was little!! well i hope that helps and enjoy your new little one she certainly is adorable

Twin Mama Mere said...

Heather,
I know the sheer thrill of getting ready to bring a baby home! It was one of the most exciting times of my life! When my twins, Grace and Aidan, were babies, they slept in shifts, which kept life interesting : ) I'm sure you can relate to that! My son was a rocker. We wanted to be rocked constantly, so we would drag our swing with us everywhere we went. A year later, a friend of mine had a baby and she got a PORTABLE SWING as a baby gift! Oh how I wished they had that when Aidan was little!
You won't need this for Allie for a few years, but my nephew who is a pharmacist (and a dad of three) recommended using DELSYM cough syrup when the twins had those deep, throaty "smoker coughs" from a virus. It works wonders and works for 12 hours, so it lets a little one sleep through the night (it tastes nasty, so I put it in a tiny cup with a teaspoon of orange juice and the twins drink it right up!. You can also use it for older kids and adults.
We will be praying for Allie's safe journey and for your life full of joy!

Mere Pratt, Spring Hill, TN

Twin Mama Mere said...

PS - I saw a lot of comments on the Britax carseat. I didn't have those for the twins when they were little, but they are extremely tall for their age and nowhere near ready for a seatbelt booster. Britax makes a seat called the Regent and is made for older kids. It has a five-point harness they can stay in until they are six or seven years old. I got them because it was the only seat I could find with a 5-point harness for older kids. They are very comfy and I am confident the twins are safe!