Thursday, September 13, 2007

Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

Hello friends,

September is National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month . . . so this is the time to do all we can to raise awareness!

Before Jacob was diagnosed - I thought childhood cancer was something that didn't happen very often. And never did I think it was something that would take the life of one of my own children. But unfortunately - childhood cancer affects thousands of children each year - with 46 new cases being diagnosed every day.

And childhood cancer can affect any child - from newborns to teenagers. There is no known cause . . . no one knows why some children get cancer . . . and no one knows why some children get better and some children don't.

But we do know that cancer is the NUMBER ONE disease killer of our children - taking more lives than AIDS, asthma, cystic fibrosis and diabetes combined! And we do know that 14,000 children are diagnosed each year and sadly 20% - about 2800 of those diagnosed will not survive.

And most importantly we do know that RESEARCH is the only way to find a CURE! Research is the only HOPE for the 40,000 children currently in treatment for cancer. We have to work together to find a cure . . . to stop this disease from taking more precious innocent lives.

Someone sent me the following video . . . it is so powerful!






There is a new update on Jacob's website with more information. Thank you so much for helping us work together to find a CURE! No child should have to go through the things that Jacob did . . . and no parent should have to go through the loss of a child. Thanks for supporting a cause so close to our hearts!

Praying for a CURE,
~Heather & Family~

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh wow, that video is so powerful, it brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing it Heather!

Sarah said...

Oh Heather... how we all miss your Amazing Jacob and pray that a cure for childhood cancer is found for the children who come after... Thank you for sharing this poignant video and always sharing your personal and powerful testimony with us.

Sarah

Amy S. said...

You are so very right Heather...what a powerful video....and yes so many of us think of Jacob so very often. . I surly will go above and beyond my normal effort to raise awareness this month not only in memory of all those who have lost a child to this beast but in memory of our Amazing Jacob who holds such a special place in my heart.

buddyclark said...

Heather
What a heart ripping video. I have followed both Jacob's site and your new blog for long time. You are an awsome family but I know that your hearts must ache for Jacob each and every minute of the day. Although I have never lost a child I lost my father to cancer two years ago and not a day goes by I don't miss him and many of those days shed tears for him. I believe you when you say grief never leaves you; you just learn to live with it. Keep surviving and I too will join in your fight to destroy childhood cancer.