Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Take The Challenge!

Hello friends,

This Saturday is the Cure Kids Cancer Challenge - a 5K Fun Run and a 1 Mile Family Walk to raise money for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation. The response from the community has been amazing and I just know this event will be a huge success!



The walk is Saturday morning at Park Square in FishHawk Ranch. Registration is at 8am and the run begins at 9am. However - this event is so much more than just a walk! There will be so many family-fun activities . . . face painting, bouncy castles, games and lots of good food.

There are also some fabulous raffle prizes! The hottest items being 4 tickets to the Hannah Montana concert and a signed Derek Jeter jersey. PCF will also be selling raffle tickets for $20 to win the Hyundai Hope on Wheels Car. So I hope everyone can make it out on Saturday . . . should be a fun day while supporting such a great cause.

As Childhood Cancer Awareness month comes to an end . . . I hope you all took the challenge to help us raise awareness and funds for all the kids battling this devastating disease. Childhood Cancer does not discriminate - and can affect any child . . . no matter how healthy they might seem. Cancer is so evil - and the treatments are horrific. And I worry everyday that cancer will affect another member of my family. I look at all the sweet faces who battle this disease and my heart hurts knowing all that they must go through. And that pain cuts deep when I realize that many won't survive. Jacob doesn't need anymore friends in Heaven so we must keep fighting for better treatments and more options . . . and we must keep praying for a CURE!


My son was the Face of Childhood Cancer.



Jacob was born healthy, active and perfect, but was diagnosed with cancer when he was 3 years old. He was so beautiful, so full of life . . . spreading joy everywhere he went. Jacob is my HERO and my inspiration to do all I can to stop childhood cancer from taking another precious life.

I want to share another Childhood Cancer Awareness video made by Peyton's mom. Such a beautiful song to go with such beautiful faces . . .






These are the Faces of Childhood Cancer. I hope they reach out and touch your heart and inspire you to get involved. They ALL need your help and we can ALL to something! You can click on the picture to make it bigger.




Take the Challenge, my friends! Get involved, raise money, raise awareness and know that what you do will make a difference in the life of a child . . . a child who is fighting for their life!


Ending with an amazing scripture . . . I just love this one!

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Matthew 7:12
The Message


TEAM AMAZING JACOB FUNDRAISING PAGE

Walking For HOPE!

Many thanks to all who have donated or volunteered for the walk! We couldn't do it without your support and your generosity has amazed me. I am so grateful!



Taking the challenge,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, the last few updates have been wonderful. I always love all the pictures. I haven't been able to sign the blog lately..something goofy with my computer..but just know that I am always thinking of you, checking for updates and praying for your family. Allie is such a fabulous addition to your family!

We have been so busy here also with the kids back in school and all that goes with that. But it is such an enjoyable time and we know we have MUCH to be thankful for.

It is so fun for me to see your boys and Allie grow and change. Have a great week and I'll be praying that Saturday is a huge success.

Much love from MN,
Janet DeRosier

Anonymous said...

The very first photo of Jacob is just so not Jacob to be because he is not beaming. Jacob was a child that beamed through treatment after treatment (of course . . . I know there were tears), always and forever bringing a smile to everyone who came in contact with him or who even saw a photo - and we still do. He is my hero too. He was magical and he lives among us today as surely as Walt Disney !
I love Jacob . . .
Sandy
Atlanta

JAMES, JESSICA, AND MATTHEW said...

You are amazing and I love you. I am so proud of you and how strong you are. You have turned something tragic into something wonderful. I hope and pray that they find a cure for childhood cancer. You work so hard and yet still find time to enjoy your little ones. And what great kids they are! I just wanted you to know that you inspire me to be a better mom. I found this for you online.

Small Blessings

Dear Lord, it's such a hectic day
With little time to stop and pray
For life's been anything but calm
Since You called on me to be a mom
Running errands, matching socks
Building dreams with building blocks
Cooking, cleaning, and finding shoes
And other stuff that children lose
Gitting lids on bottled bugs
Wiping tears and giving hugs
A stack of last week's mail to read
So where's the quiet time I need?
Yet when I steal a minute, Lord
Just at the sink or ironing board
To ask the blessings of Your grace
I seen then, in my small one's face
That you have blessed me
All the while
And I stop to kiss
That precious smile

I hope that your hectic days are always filled with moments of happiness. I hope to see you soon! We miss you!

Amy said...

Heather,
I am a faithful frogger till the end! I LOVE reading your family updates, and the pictures are.....a gift. I look at the faces of all your children and I see pure joy. I only wish you could have thousands of children because it's clear that is your purpose. I love you guys so much!!!
Faithful Frogger!!!

Anonymous said...

To my precious Heather,

As always it's such a "JOY" to come to your blog or visit Jacob's site.

Thank you for the many LABORS of LOVE you continue to continue that battle for childhood cancer.

Personally, I don't know where you get the time or energy...not to mention you are still missing Jacob like crazy.

I guess it's your great love for him and so many others that keeps you going...

Allie just fits in your family so well. Hey, no one UNhappy could be a part of the Duckworth Clan!

Truly you have lived out the scripture that says:

THE JOY OF THE LORD IS YOUR STRENGTH!!! Wow...

Sending lots of love to you all, please give your daughter a great big hug, pinch those adorable cheeks too.

And of course, a big "high five" to your handsome sons!

Love you Heather!

Susan