Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Blog Safety

Hello friends,

I have been concerned about Blog Safety for a while now. I tend to be the "trusting" type and think that all people are good - but it just takes about 5 minutes of watching the news to realize that just isn't true! For the most part - our family has been blessed with support and kindness through our Caringbridge site and this blog. And if anyone has convinced me that ALL people are GOOD - then it has been YOU. But for the past month or so, I have been concerned about blog safety. Since then, I have put SITEMETER on the blog - which tracks visitors. It is wonderful and has given me a little more peace as I can see where people are from, how long they visit the blog and it gives IP addresses. It also gives me the links to our site and searches that people do on the internet about our blog. Quite honestly - it is fascinating information! And I encourage all who have a blog to do it, too!

I have also decided to not accept anymore anonymous comments. You can leave a comment by registering with Blogger - or by leaving your own website address. It only takes a moment to register with Blogger and it will then let me know who you are and that would mean so much to me. So many people check this site - on average over 3000 people a day - and it would be nice to know who you are when you leave a comment. :)

For those of you who have blogs . . . what do you think? Do you worry about blog safety? What do you do to be safe online? I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the topic and would love to know how you feel and what you do to keep safe.

Thanks so much!!

37 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!

My name is Sarah and I'm from Buffalo, New York. I have been following your journey with Jacob for awhile now. I love reading your blog and check for updates daily.

Merry Christmas!

charlotta said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know that the pics of the kids are just adorable! I don't post a comment most the time cause my 3 year old keeps me on my toes, But I do come in and check to see how you all are doing......You are all still in my prayers and I still think of Amazing Jacob everyday....God Bless you and have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog but I do read your blog and I await every week to find a new post from you. I followed your story since you began blogging about. I do not even remember how I came to know about your site. BUt I do know that you and your family have been an inspiration of hope, peace, kindness, and God's Grace so I anxiously await to see pictures of Allies first Christmas. Anyway - back to the topic at hand. I do not blame you one bit to be concerned. You should be. You have no idea who is reading this and seeing your pictures. I never heard of the software but i will have to share with friends that blog. Thank you.

Allison (alley)

frycountry said...

I use to post prayers on Jacob's site but have never posted to Faithful Froggers blog. I do agree that blogger safety is very important. You are very wise to protect yourself and your family. I had identity theft about 2 years ago and cleaning up that mess was crazy. Blogging is much like opening up your window for fresh air. You want all the nice fresh air to come in, but don't want any of the nasty pesky bugs that may also fly in if you don't have a "screen" to filter and protect your home from them. It is kind of a corny analogy but pretty true when you think about it. Be as safe as you can and if you feel a threat of any kind, shut down your site immediately. Family safety is the most important. My daughter had a "My Space" and after a few malicious postings that couldn't be traced, she and I talked about it and removed her site from the web. She is 17, so she is old enough for me to talk to and for her to understand my concerns which is nice. Just so you know about me if you ever see me in your "review of people visiting", whether I post again or not, I do view your site often. I started following Jacob's site when I was referred to his caringbridge page to lift him up in prayer. Jacob's sweet face and need for prayer at the time, and your faithfulness in God kept me attached to following your happiness and joy with Jacob, your progressive grieving process after he went to play in heaven with God, your continued love of your family and now your joyful adoption of such a precious sweetie has kept me coming back. You are truely witness to the way to believe, seek out and live through Christ. We all have our trials, but it is how you face them and move forward that is most important. You inspire me. Thank you for letting us peek in on some snapshots of you and your families life. Many of us got to know a part of you through Jacob's site. For you to continue to let us all, whether you know us or not, follow how you are doing and how your family is truely embracing life daily even on all of the curvy roads is such a gift to us all. Like I said, following this site inspires me in many ways. You are truely showing the face of God looking back at us when you post your blogs and your pictures. You are truely blessed.

Beckie Fry

Nicole said...

Heather, I am always concerned about the safety of my blog. I also have site meter. I once had my blog private and only people that I invited could make a password & view it but so many people had trouble with their passwords that I took the privacy off.

Tim said...

Hi Heather,

I've been following your blog / Caringbridge site for a long time now. I still see cardinals and immediately think of your Jacob. I still remember crying as our family released balloons for him. I still am so thankful that you decided to share your family's journey with all of 'us'.
Yes, blog safety concerns me too. I don't put names on our blog or where we live. I try to be very careful on what I include, but I'm not too computer savy, so I guess people could really search and find us somehow. I'm going to look into the blog safety that you're using. However, my blog rarely gets visitors, so I don't think I have quite as much to track :O)
Merry Christmas to you and your gang from me and my gang!

Stephanie said...

Hi Heather! I agree that internet safety is very important. I have a Myspace page that I use to share the photos of my kids and I also blog there. It's private and I only allow friends and family to join but even that caused a problem. Our daughter (the one that will be legally our's forever tomorrow!) has an older brother. I gave him access to my page and he snagged pictures of her. That wouldn't normally be a problem except he posted those photos on his public page where someone was able to get our imformation and has now been contacting us. It's really been scary so you are absolutely right to protect yourself. Be very careful!

Rohrbachs said...

I agree with you on the blog safety! I think it is a good idea!! I am going to look into it myself! As I have kept my blog private because I was worried about that! May God bless you through the holidays!! I love lookng at your picture . I have 3 adopted kids so it is nice to read about others ! I will leave my blog open if you ever want to check it out !!

Manon said...

Hi Heather,
I too have been concerned about site safety...more through CB actually than our blogspot. I haven't given our blog address out to anyone but close friends and family, although I know that it can still be found. On CB there were a few "fake" cancer cases that really scared me. It makes me nervous that there are people out there who could pretend that they have a child with cancer. With that, I'm glad that you posted this. I'm checking into sitemeter and I too will apply it to our blog site.
Have a wonderful Holiday Season! We're headed to Disney World for Christmas day!!! Then we're going to Siesta Key for a week. Jackson will love being in the warm weather for a week and out of the snow!

Manon
www.caringbridge.org/oh/jackson

Anonymous said...

Hi, I haven't left you a comment in a long time. I think it is good to be concerend about your blog you just never know who is looking at the internet these days.
I have to say that I check your site everyday and the caringbridge site too just to see those smiling faces. You are a remarkable family. Up here in Minnesota it is a warm 20 degrees. My kids are out playing hockey in the backyard on our hockey rink my husband built for them a few years ago it has big lights and everything so they can play out there at night too. It's great. They can stay out there for hours but that is what being from minnesota does too you. They never seem to get cold.
Don't get me wrong they love the beach too in fact we were in St. Petersburg in October and it was my 5 and 7 years olds first trip to Disney World and they now want to live there too.

Well you all have a Blessed Christmas with lots of Jacob memories and I will be thinking of you.

Candy Motter

The Nanny said...

I completely understand your fears. I actually ended up making my blog private just so I could control who could and couldn't see it--but I get far less viewers than 3000 people per day! :-)

If you are worried, going private is an option. I gave my readers 2 or 3 days' notice before going private, created a seperate "blog" e-mail address, and had them e-mail me if they wanted invites. I hated restricting the viewers, but I wanted to keep things safe, too!

Like Nicole said, I never posted any real information about me or anybody else--no names/locations, etc.

Good luck, and I hope you can find some peace with this! You have a beautiful family!

Rachel said...

That is a great idea to put a site meter on your blog. I am concerned about the safety of mine, as well, and plan to look into that.
Thanks!
Rachel

3 Peanuts said...

What a beautiful God loving family you have. I just came across your blog and I am inspired by your faith.

In response to this particular pos...I too worry about blog safety. I have site meter too and I moderate commentts.

I have received so much postitive feedback (as I am sure oyu have too) that I am not too worried. I know God has used the blog in people's loves too.

I want to go read more about your journey now.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi, Heather!
Just stopping by from Texas to say hi...I so enjoy your blogs. You are such an inspiration and I pray for your beautiful family often. I have 2 boys, 12 and 14, and would love to adopt a little girl as well! My husband says he's too old! :) Much Love, Angela

Jodee said...

Hi, Heather. I, too, would like to believe that only good people are out in the world. I grew up in a small town in the Midwest where people were so honest and trustworthy. Therefore, I am sure I trust people way too much! I probably should take some steps to be more cautious. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

I too worry about the safety of the web. Maybe I'm niave, or living in denial, but I honestly worry more people in my city, than somebody tracking my family down from the web.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, you can never be too cautious.
I'll be checking into sitemeter as well. Thanks for the heads up.

threehandprints said...

I found your blog by way of praying and following another cancer patient. I ended up starting a blog myself to share with family and friends, what's going on in our life. I worry about safety too and already have sitemeter. Don't know too much about it. How do you check what people are searching about your blog or searching to find it? Also, what does having an IP address tell you? I have a lot I still need to learn!!

Monica said...

Hi, I have been following Jacob's journey & checking in with your family for quite awhile now. I just love the way you write and how upbeat & encouraging you always are. I am in Washington state and I have 3 boys around your boys ages, so I can very much relate to alot of what you say.

Happy Holidays!

Monica

Sarah said...

Heather,

I am one of your blog stalkers... ha ha!! :-) Actually, I understand about blog safety. That's why I NEVER post personal information. No addresses or phone numbers ever!!

I don't have children (yet!I just got married in May) However, I worked at a Christian school for years. One thing I would say is not to mention the name of the school your kids attend. They would be easily noticed by someone trying to notice them. Someone could say "Brandon, your mom Heather and dad Donnie sent me to get you." or whatever just because that is open information here. Of course having a family "password" of some sort that your kids know so if you ever do send someone to pick them up in an emergency or whatever they know the person have to have the password.

Also, I hope the address you use here is a p.o. box and not your real home address.

Thank you for sharing your life with us! I pray for your family often!!

~Sarah

The Travelers Journal said...

Hi,
I do have a blog that I have kept for years now and I too put the counter on to see who was visiting. I try to keep our names out of it, but I do put up pictures :) I worry about safty also. We started doing a diary type of blog for our flat travelers that visit. It has turned into a little more than that, but I enjoy keeping it and the kids like looking back on it.

I have been following your family for a couple of years now and feel like I know you all :) Thanks for still updating I am sure we all feel like your our extended family!

The Traveling Yogi said...

I have a blog as well and worry about safety. I try not to post names or locations so that strangers who happen upon my site can't really figure out who we are or where we are (unless they already know us). I have a sitemeter on my blog and it is interesting to see where the readers come from.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather..

I read Jacob's CB blog for years, and though I read your new blog almost every day - I rarely ever post!! Sorry.. I understand about the safety aspect - with those gorgeous kids to look out for, you're right to be cautious.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful first Christmas with Allie, and best of luck for Jacob's stocking project. I'm sure he'd be so pleased to see what you are doing in his name.

Merry Christmas,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

The program that you mention sounds awsome! Saftey is so important these days, it amazes me what some unhappy people can do :( That being said I thought I would introduce myself again as I am more of a stalker than a writer LOL. I have posted on Jacobs site a few times. I have been following Jacobs site for a few years and now your blog. Heather your blog encourges me and has strengthed my faith. I look so forward to coming to your blog and seeing the pictures of the boys (they have gotten so big) and Allie. Allie is pure joy across my computer screen. There have been a few pictures where I have just laughed so hard that it hurts, she is so darn cute. I hope your family has a wonderful holiday together - God Bless!

Terri Sayre

Anonymous said...

Hello. I wanted to leave my comment, so that you know who I am and how I came across your page. We followed Nathan Gentry's site, and through comments from one child suffering from cancer to another, we found Jacob's link. Our family has so enjoyed your updates, and uplifting words. We just moved from Florida to Texas, so you know when you see our IP address who we are :)
Sondra Moore

Leah said...

Hi Heather. I have been following Jacobs caringbrige site for years. And I love the new blog. I do worry about my blog privacy too. It started out as a way to share pictures for far away family but I have seen an increase in hits from all over the place lately.
I was wondering what site you get your site meter from. Yours does more than mine.
Also, does anyone know if there is a way to keep people from right cliking on our pictures and copying them? I would feel so much better if I knew that someone couldn't copy any of my pictures.

My daughter and I love to come see the boys and baby Allie on your blog. What a beautiful family you have!

Merry Christmas!
Leah ~ Visalia, Ca (Fresno)

Alison said...

I have both a caring bridge page for my son and a blog for myself. It is hard to decide what is enough or not enough security. I am trusting also I guess. Just wanted to say hello and let you know I love checking in on your family!!

Karen said...

I get concerned too. All you can really tell about me from my blog is my age, my occupation (which isn't even correct right now) and the state I live in. I am pretty sure I am safe there, it's a big state. I have feedjit on my blog, which tells me where people come from to click on the site and I found once that someone clicked on it from an aolsearch, but I could never figure out how that happened.

I am just trusting and FROGing that I am not giving away too much and am pretty safe with what I do!

Ashley said...

I haven't switched my blog to registered users only (yet). I've only had it for a few days now, and so far, no comments....lol. Maybe that's a sign...lol. Love the pictures of your children!

Kelly said...

Heather,

I too am concerned about the safety of this blog thing. In the society that we live in, how can we be too safe with our precious cargo that we carry on here(our children and families) and talk about constantly. I might just take some of the same precautions that you have. I think that it is a GREAT idea.

Kelly

Marie said...

Hi Heather,

Smart idea, you can't be too careful with a site about kids. One thing to watch out for - make sure when you take photos that the kids aren't standing somewhere that will identify your street - this includes car licence plates. Try not to say if you'll be at a specific place and time, and don't give away their school or sports teams they are on.

PS. Where is Jacob in the Christmas photo? You have to get him in there somehow!

Tamaraandfamily said...

Wow~~ I Check on all of You Almost Daily,have left a Few Messeges as Well...I have been Following This Story a Long Time.Seems Like Jacob Had Just Passed Away when I Started Following This...what a Huge Diffrence You have made in My Life....I come in here To Read All The Updates and they Just make My Heart Smile...The Boys are Really Growing and That lil baby Allie is So Precious...
I just Love Reading and Seeing all The New Pics Of them..Thank you Heather again for Sharing Your Amazing family with all of us.I can Only Imagine How Proud Jacob is of All of You..
Merry Christmas To all of You !!

Kelly said...

Hi,

I've been following your blog / Caringbridge site for a long time now. I don't post comments very often but you family is in my heart and your such an inspiration.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hi! My name is Jillian (I can't remember if I've ever posted on your site - here or CB). I am from Rome, New York. I've been following your family's story for a couple years now...I think I found out about your CB site through my cousin's CB site (fl/dustin). Your family has been such an inspiration!

Merry Christmas!

hoping4nash said...

Hi! I'm Anna and I've been following the CB page/this page since August of 2005, but I don't think I've ever posted before in my life. Your son's journey literally changed my life and your faith continues to amaze and encourages me to stay strong in my faith. I completely understand your concern for safety which is why I was reluctant until today to make an account. I wish that all of you have a wonderful Christmas and I hope Allie feels better in time for Christmas day!

Unknown said...

I also followed from Caringbridge...I love checking in to see if you have "new news". You are so positive and happy...It makes my day start off well! And of course, it helps to see those beautiful smiling faces in your pictures! How could that not make you feel better???

Shanelle said...

I also followed from the CB site, I've read of your family's journey for a couple of years now. I can't even recall how I initially found your CB site.

I also have 4 boys, and dream of adopting someday.

Many times I have lifted your family up in prayer and have so enjoyed celebrating with you as well. In that way, I feel like I "know" you a little, even though you've never even heard of me. Which is a little creepy, right? It's definitely a downside of the internet and I agree with you that safety is definitely a concern. I don't know what the solution is.

I hope you are having a wonderful, relaxing time with your family!

nicrogers said...

Hi! I also worry about safety. I don't have nearly the readers or exposure that you have though. I think the sitemeter is a great idea. You cant be too careful. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us. I enjoy reading your blog and am so happy that you were able to adopt little Allie. She is adorable.