Tuesday, January 29, 2008

True Blessedness

Hello friends,

Everyone is feeling much better in our house this week! It sure isn't fun when EVERYONE in the house is sick - but we did enjoy a nice, cozy weekend doing absolutely nothing. :)

Allie is on the move! I'm not sure we can say she is "walking" yet because she still falls down quite a bit - but she sure is "stepping" a lot! She is up to walking about 8-12 steps at a time and is walking on her own from couch to couch. She has such a fun personality . . . independent, curious, loving. She learns new things everyday and it is so neat to watch her. Her vocabulary grows everyday, too! She is a great "copycat" talker and will try to mimic whatever you say. Of course my favorite word is "MaMa" which she says ALL day and it is music to my ears!! I love it! Here's some pictures from the past week . . .

Practicing her walking!





I have started working on the second book about Jacob's life. I must admit that this second book is much harder to do than the first. No journey through cancer is easy - but Jacob's was especially difficult. He suffered tremendously during the last several months of his treatment and we spent many months in the hospital - away from home and our other children. It is beyond hard to read and relive those terrible moments and I will be glad when I complete this book. It's not an easy thing to do - but printing his story and my journal is very important to me. I want it for my children and grandchildren . . . so even though the process is painful - I know that one day I will be so glad to have this book to pass on and share Jacob's life. Also, I am afraid of losing Jacob's journal from some type of computer failure - so I am anxious to get it done!

However in working on the book yesterday - I came across the following journal entry and it really hit me hard - especially after my update on Friday. After reading the journal below - I realized that Friday wasn't a bad day after all. In fact it was a truly blessed day. Here is the definition of a BAD DAY - my day on August 8, 2005 . . .



"Life has been hard, my friends - very, very hard. I have not left the hospital or taken a shower in 3 days. I have shed many tears and worried myself sick. I have cleaned up vomit, diarrhea and changed many beds. I have prayed constantly over my son’s body as I have watched him suffer this week. These have without a doubt been the darkest days of my life. But I am not complaining at all - for my part is so easy compared to all that Jacob has endured during the past week.


This chemo regimen has taken a toll on Jacob and he has never been so sick and miserable. It has been a nightmare watching my beautiful son who was so full of life a week ago become so violently ill. Jacob’s counts have all dropped drastically and he already needed a red blood cell transfusion today. He has suffered so much this week with vomiting, fevers, severe diarrhea, fluid retention, low sodium, port clotting, painful urination, struggling with taking all the medications & severe discomfort - and it has only gotten worse each day. Today he woke up vomiting blood (which scared me beyond belief). After calling the nurse in a panic who in turned called the doctor - it was determined that Jacob’s stomach lining is bleeding due to the chemo. Blood is also in his urine & diarrhea now, too. They have since put Jacob on medication to help control the bleeding and he is on a continuous morphine drip to make him comfortable - and for the most part it seems to be working.

Nothing is harder than watching your child suffer while fighting with all of his might.

“Suffering has no meaning unless we can believe that God understands our pain and can heal it. In the suffering of Jesus we have that assurance.”
Billy Graham

Jacob is so weak and very tired - yet he is still so very strong. His pain tolerance must be sky high as he never complains. He finds comfort in snuggling close and holding my hand - which I am also so willing to do. If he wakes up and finds that I am not right next to him, he calls out, “I need Mommy!” I always answer back with, “No, I NEED you!” and that is so very true. But I am so glad that I can still comfort him even if I can’t take away the pain. Donnie and I are trying hard to focus on Jacob’s HEALING and not on his suffering. We have to hang onto hope and believe with all of our hearts that through all of this - Jacob is healing. And if anything is suffering - we hope that it is all of those darn cancer cells.

We are waiting for Jake to start feeling better - but it probably won’t happen till his counts start rebounding which is usually 10-14 days after chemo. This is only day 3. Oh how we can’t wait for brighter days - as we desperately want out of this dark valley. And it just overwhelms me with sadness to know that Jacob will have to endure all of this again and again with each round of chemo over the next several months. But I have so much hope in the Lord and I have so much faith in my amazing Jacob. I will love him and help him and be with him every step of the way - he is so worth fighting for! And I know without a doubt that God will be right there with him, too. With that being said, let me share with you another guest book entry about my amazing son.

“Amazing... a word so over used, and yet so inadequate when describing beautiful Jacob. He innocently lives his life, bravely facing all that comes his way, never suspecting the power his pure heart wields- touching people far and wide, bringing us together, helping us focus on what truly matters, strengthening us. AMAZING.”

Of course, I have more than one amazing son - in fact God has blessed me with 3 more wonderful little guys - and it has been quite difficult being away from them this past week. Kyle, Brandon & Devin started school on Thursday. Donnie was able to go home early that morning to get them ready & take them on their first day and I was able to be there to pick them up! The day was sad to begin with since it was Brandon & Devin’s first day of kindergarten - but it was harder knowing that Jacob couldn’t be with them. Devin cried the first day when Daddy left - but he did great the next day! Overall, I think they both enjoyed it and really like all their teachers! I think Devin summed up everything perfectly though: When I asked him if he fell asleep during rest time he said, “No, I thought about Jacob.” Yep, that made me cry!

The boys came to the hospital for the weekend - but only Brandon stayed the night. It was great to see them all - they are such a wonderfully noisy distraction for all of us! =) I miss the boys terribly and hate that they are back in school because they can’t come to visit as often. My mom, brother and Dad & Nancy and our pastor came over several times, too - bringing us dinner and running errands for us. We are so thankful to have so much support and such a wonderful family! Of course Jacob wasn’t really up to many visitors as he slept most of the time, but Donnie and I were glad they were here.

Well, looks like I’ve written another novel! Just means that we have too much going on in our lives right now. Thanks so much for checking on us. I’m really hoping I have better news to report with the next update! Jacob still has such a long, hard battle ahead of him. Please stay constant in your prayers for him. Pray for his strength, happiness and comfort. Pray that Jacob has a miraculous healing on earth . . .and believe it will happen!

“On Him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers.“
2 Corinthians 1:10-11

And know how very much we feel all the love, support, encouragement & prayers. It is what gets us through each day and we can’t thank you enough!

~ HOPE ~ BELIEVE ~ PRAY ~ FROG ~ In Jacob’s complete healing on earth!
Lots of love, big hugs and filled with gratitude,
~Heather & Family~"


This update hurts to read. I hurt for Jacob and all that he went through. I hurt for the boys not having me there on their first day of school. My heart hurts because I miss Jacob so very much - EVERYDAY. I hurt for all the families who have a child with cancer and are going through those same struggles right now. And although I want nothing more in this world than to have Jacob here with me - I am at peace knowing that he will never, ever experience a day like that again. I am at peace knowing that Jacob is FREE from the binds of cancer. FREE from the pain and suffering and tears. He is safe in the arms of God now and he knows nothing but JOY! And after having days like that with Jacob - a bad day for me has been redefined. My day on Friday didn't come close to being a bad day. It was just a day filled with normal, everyday chaos - which is nothing short of a blessing.

"True blessedness, Jesus says, begins with deep sadness."
Max Lucado

Ending with a scripture . . .


"God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
Matthew 5:4


Truly blessed everyday,

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather and Family :) I came across Jacob's website about 2 years ago. I've never commented but have often wanted to. Jacob's passing was right around the time my aunt passed away due to complications of Diabetes. I felt a close connection for some strange reason. I love the pictures and insight you often give. Like Allie, I too am adopted. You and Don have an awesome heart and soul. I am honored to have met you through the internet. Thank you for all that you've done for me, a stranger.

Sarah said...

Heather .. I remember that entry and it breaks my heart to read it again. Tears are flowing again. It also struck me, that no matter how difficult it is for you to read that and how difficult a time that must have been, you'd give anything to be there, in that moment to just snuggle with Jacob again. Jacob is SO blessed to have you as a mother, as well as your children here on earth. You are amazing too!
I too find comfort in the fact that you know that Jacob is not suffering anymore. That indeed is his healing.
I think I would have a hard time reading your second book. But I agree, a necessary collection of those difficult days so that your kids have something tangible to remember Jacob by. (beside the lovely Cardinals, of course :)
I am glad you can appreciate even your crappy friday - your truly do 'get it'.
Ali is PRECIOUS, and love all her pictures. What a beauty she is, and what a light she must bring to all of your lives. I am glad that you can be truly happy again.
Have a great tuesday.
Sarah

Amy S. said...

I remember so much when you wrote this journal...it seems like yesterday...but so many, many months ago. I know that writing this next book will be emotionally challenging. I admire you for doing so. Reliving those moments again surly will be most painful. I am thinking of you my friend!

Allie is a sweetheart walking arond. I have found since they start walking...things change so much...and one more "step" out of the "baby" stage. :(

Love and Hugs..

Alison said...

The Max Lucado quote is so poigniant! You are so right that bad days aren't bad days when we look at it from a slightly different perspective. You encourage me with your strength and touch me with your honesty and openess. Thank you.

www.caringbridge.com/canada/andrewsjourney

Lisa said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile now and all I can say is, Thank You. Thank you for putting things in perspective. You have been such an encouragment to me. Thank you for being so willing to share your sadness and your joy - I'm sure you have no idea how mightily God is using you! God Bless!

Unknown said...

Heather, Gregory is my husband, but apparently I do not have an account! However! you truly have a way with words. It has been a long time since I posted to your site, I don't think I have since the week of Jacobs passing. But after reading your post just now, I could not pass up the opportunity to say what a blessing and inspiration you are to more people than you will ever realize. Reading again that horrible day you wrote about brought tears of sadness to my eyes. Yet you have such an eloquent way of expressing things, I sit here in awe.~
I went to comment here last week, but then did not. But I wanted you to know that so many of us out here have our own struggles and trials, and we often go to you for support. The other day I was feeling really blue, and outside of my window, behind where the computer is, were TWELVE cardinals in our backyard tree. My jaw dropped. I looked over at the neighbors birdfeeder...there were 3 more!! It immediately made me think of you and Amazing Jacob of course...and my spirit was lifted! Your family is incredible.. and I just wanted to say thank you! You are AMAZING. And those pictures of your children! They are such adorable little kiddos. The one of Ali in her leggings absolutely cracks me up. God bless you!
Linda

Audra said...

My heart aches right along with yours Heather at the pain Jacob suffered, and because he isn't here physically with you, but I do rejoice with you too, that Jacob is Free from this broken world and the binds of cancer, and he is to Only experience Joy for the rest of eternity, and what Joy when you all join him in Heaven to experience the Joys too.
You are Always in my thoughts and Prayers.
Much Love,
Audra

Unknown said...

Wow! You are a true blessing! Thanks for the great reminder that ANY of my so-called "bad days" are NOT bad days. My children are healthy and we are so blessed!! My heart breaks for you thinking about all that your family went through. But the amazing thing is your faith and testimony. So many lives have been touched and many have a new/renewed faith in the LORD because of your writing. THAT IS AMAZING!!!

Allie is so adorable! She was certainly hand-picked for your family by a very special, amazing little boy. She's a perfect match with a wonderful personality and huge smile.

Have a wonderful day! So happy that you are all feeling better.

Love from MN,
Janet DeRosier

snekcip said...

Thanks Heather for the EYE OPENER, so many times we get caught up in "bad days" that we fail to see "the good in it", I have been a long time follower of AMAZING JACOB and I do remember this journal entry so vividly, I remember being scared to "read" each entry as Jacob struggled daily, afraid of the UNKNOWN and what this precious child was faced w/everyday, I fail to realize Jacob's journey was an OPEN BOOK to thousands of us, we read each "chapter" and cried, prayed and FROG'GED each step of the way, Jacob taught us so much more than we can ever fathom, and is still teaching us from above. Your family unselfishly shared every valley and every mountain of his journey w/complete strangers. It's amazing how GOD used such an AMAZING child to weave thousands of people together, who otherwise would not have known each other, or yet how to pray in unison.

Your entry the other night, made me thing back about the other night, I had gotten home later than usual, the dog wanted out and the baby (who's 10mos old) wanted to test her new crawling skills on the staircase. I was worn out from a long day at work and just wanted PEACE AND QUIET, as I let the dog back in and surveyed the days mail, that little SPEEDY CRAWLER had zipped by me in no time flat and was headed up the stairs, w/the SUPER ENERGETIC SCHNAUZER in tow, I tried to chase her, but the more I climbed the faster she got, I screamed STOP BREE, it startled her for a moment, and she turned around w/that little pouty lip and my heart melted, I smiled and she let out the most infectious laugh. She thought it was a game then, she continued to crawl up the stairs w/the most infectious laugh you could ever imagine,she was having the time of her life. The dog was barking and bouncing off the wall, and before I knew it I was laughing as well. I had forgotten all about the "bad day"!!! I picked my sweet girl up and covered her in kisses as she continued to laugh and giggle. Who cared if the darn schnauzer had just torn my expensive pantyhose, as she tried desperately to get some of the attention as well! KIDS/DOGS gotta love em!!


PS Purchasing a safety gate for the baby, new pair of pantyhose, and most importantly...getting a VALUABLE lesson from everyday life( RELAX AND ENJOY THE MOMENT)!

Deb McKee Kelly said...

Heather, I've followed your family's ups and downs for several years now. I can't remember exactly how I came across Jacob's site, but as a cancer survivor myself (26 at diagnosis, stage II breast cancer, four years cancer free now), I was trying to put my own suffering in some sort of context, take my self-pity and push it away by thinking of others. Jacob's sweet face, his sweet brothers, and your and Donnie's sweet faith have been a reminder to me each day to try to live better. I cried again tonight as I read this memory of Jacob's suffering -- not just for him, but for every child who has to endure it. I can't imagine what it must have been like to watch it and feel so helpless. Because of my cancer and the chemo treatments, I am not able to have children. I have watched and read with supreme joy your experiences adopting Allie. My husband and I are hoping we will find our child one of these days. You have no idea how many people you touch, and how many people Jacob has touched. Always thinking of you in Indiana. - Deborah / Tres chats

Bobbi said...

I write this through my tears. I just want to run upstairs and hug my three sleeping children and never take forgranted them being here with me ever again.

On another note, look at Allie!!! What a beautiful princess God has given you. She just lights up a room. I love her little trendy skirt and leggings. Aren't girls just so fun to dres?!?!?

Glad everyone is feeling better.

jmondo said...

Heather:
It's OK to have a "bad" day - a new, "normal" bad day! You are living a challenging, yet wonderful life - loving and losing Jacob, loving and gaining Allie, and having a wonderful family to love, lean on and to enjoy each day! You are an inspiration to all of us and I thank you for sharing your journey! May God Bless All of You!

Anissa Mayhew said...

Heather,

Today was such a rough day for me. I guess in retrospect, never as rough as a day as you have experienced, but emotionally draining nonetheless from the same source, this awful disease. Not even for my sweet Peyton. She's finally bouncing back from her rocky week, she's doing well. But my heart is so heavy from a weekend full of memorial services for children lost, news of relapses, word of worsening conditions, those awful feelings when you realize that hope for healing on earth is slipping away and that God is making the choice that the only healing is Heaven-bound. I had this moment this morning of feeling "am I not praying, right, Lord? Am I not praying enough? am I not praying correctly? Cause I feel like maybe you're not hearing me!!" And all day long he brought me reassurance after reassurance that he is always here with me, reminding me through the actions and words of others that HIS plan and purpose is the one I need to be focused on, the one I need to set my heart on. It is so hard not to want to stamp my feet like Allie when I want something, to throw my temper tantrum because I want so badly for things to go a different way. Especially because I know the hurt is going to be SOOOO great. But I also know that God's rewards are so much more than we can comprehend, I keep reminding myself that we can't question God's will, just accept it, trust it, have faith in it and see the glory of it and when we go before him, we can someday realize the wonder of it all. I yearn for that day, Heather, I can't wait until all this is behind us. Thank you for always being a bright light of His love that helps guide and focus me.

My faithful prayers always hold a special place for you and your crew, as you hold a very very special place in my heart.

Love
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

Anonymous said...

Heather-
I see others have written exactly what I was feeling/thinking...
As soon as I saw the first sentence from Jacob's journal I was transported to this time that seems like it was many, many years years ago, but hurts my heart like it was yesterday. I remember crying the first time that entry was posted and I cried this time as well.
As usual, you remained so positive in the midst of such overwhelming challenges. It's no wonder Jacob was so AMAZING, he had a really AWESOME teacher!!
I can only imagine what you experience as you re-trace the footsteps of your past. Your family was carried then and you will be carried now. Please know you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.
With love,
Kyle

LIBSMOM said...

Oh Heather, I remember that entry well. You may never have known that I was reading every day, every entry but I was, along with so many other faithful followers!
I'm happy to read that everyone is feeling better and that brown outfit on Allie? That surely is enough to lift spirits! That and all the smiles that abound in your home.
I cry with every entry where you mention Jacob but smile and feel joyful with every current entry about the boys and the girl. Joy prevails! I'm so glad

Maureen said...

Heather, reading that entry makes my heart ache all over again, just like yours. Thank you for sharing Jacob's life with us. His life is full of lessons for all of us. I will pray that God will comfort you as you relive those hard times. Allie is so beautiful! God has truly blessed you!
Maureen

Zhohn said...

Heather-I think I say this just about everytime I write, but you are such a strong and amazing woman. I remember that entry, my heart ached for Jacob (& you) then and it does still. One thing that I have learned while following many CaringBridge sites is that my daily problems are nothing compared to what these children and their families face everyday.
Thank you for continuing to share your sweet family.
FROGing-

Addicted to Beadz said...

Hi Heather,

I've just recently set up a blog for my sister who has been diagnosed with GBM . I've followed Jacob's site and now your blog for quite awhile. I recently saw that you have a copyright on the blog. Can you tell me did you use someone on the internet to handle your copyright or someone locally. I'd like to do this as well, but unsure about using someone on the internet.

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a hurry and I know you are plenty busy, so when you get a minute to spare or maybe I should say if you get a minute to spare.

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I forgot to mention that I just love the pictures of Allie in the little skirt with the brown shirt and tights. What a blessing it must be to love, and be loved by, that child!! So cute :)
Love, Kyle

Kelly said...

Wow...such a powerful post. I remember that entry and it is so hard to read it again. My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm so thankful that Jacob is no longer suffering but I know, for you, the suffering, the longing, the missing Jacob...it continues. I will do my best to think of Jacob and this post the next time I am having a "difficult" moment with my little one. For a bad day with a strong healthy child is still a good blessed day....especially compared to what a sick child and their family must endure.

Thanks Heather for sharing and forcing me to SNAP OUT OF IT! :)

Sarah said...

Oh Heather... I remember you posting that entry... my heart just ached for Jacob and for you. I loved how you said, No... I NEED you... you still do and will every day for the rest of your earthly life until you will finally have him in your arms again... you are Amazing Jacob's AMAZING mother! This post rapidly took me back to those days of reading your blog and fervently praying for your sweet boy to heal.

Max Lucado was just in Louisville last week but I was unable to go hear him talk. What a beautiful quote, you always find the perfect quote to use.

On a happy note... love seeing your sweet Allie taking her first steps!! And, I love her hair up in her whale spout! She is getting so big!!

Thanks for sharing your heart for all these years. I love you, my friend... I wish that I could take some of the pain from your heart.

Kristine said...

Heather,

I've been a Jacob follower for quite awhile and I remember that entry. It brought me to tears the first time I read it and it brought me to tears again today.
To think all of what Jacob went through yet he would be smiling and shaking his booty right along with his brothers is just amazing. He truly was one special Angel straight from Heaven.

When you book is completely I would like to purchase it. Jacob's story just stuck with me. The way you tell his story is like all of us were right there with us.
I can't tell you how many times I would wake up before everyone else in the house and I would have to check up on Jacob's site, especially on his bad days when I was praying so hard.
You are an amazing writer.

BTW---I am glad to hear everyone is feeling better and Allie on the move! LOOK OUT! :)

Kristine
Minnesota

Unknown said...

Dearest Heather,
Thanks to Jacob and you, we all realize that we are truly blessed!! I hope you know that!
I cry anew reading book one, I can't imagine what I'll do with book two. I wonder...the strong love for your Amazing son that grasped my heart, will it do the same in the future to those who read these books? I know that is not your goal, but I can't help but feel Jacob will be Truly Blessing people for a long time!! Just look at his following and at the number of children who get attention, love, and prayers from Jacob's site. He is still here with me, and so many others, I'm sure.
The best part is he brought you into my life! For that I will be forever grateful!! Even as I suffer the pain of his earthly loss and miss him everyday, too, I am so not afraid to pass from this life, when my time comes. I will run to Jesus and Jacob with open arms and the happiest of hearts! You are truly special and my Jacob is AMAZING!!!!! :)

Debbie said...

I have read your blog for awhile. I admire you and your family! God be with you while you are writing about the hardest time of your life!
God bless!
Debbie

Jodee said...

Hi, Heather. This post also brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad Jacob is not suffering any more.

Also, thank you for the adorable photo thank you card you sent us. My Mom and I were so happy to help you stuff Jacob's stocking this year. What a great way to keep his memory alive and also help other people at the same time. Your family is truly amazing!

Stacie@hometownperch said...

Hi Heather. Thank you for sharing that entry. I remember that time and remember my heart aching for Jacob. I really needed that reminder to put my life in perspective. You are so right! Sometimes "bad" days really aren't that bad after all. I have to thank God that my girls are healthy and happy and whatever else is going on is minor in the whole scheme of things. Thanks for the reminder.

Susan said...

To my dearest Heather,

Yes, I remembered that post, the tears and how I prayed and cried out for your precious Jacob.

I remember how brave, how strong, how courageous he was.

I remember even on his worst days, he had a smile on his face, and he could make you laugh.

I will always remember, I'll always be amazed, and I'll always thank GOD for Jacob Duckworth!

Thank you Heather for sharing your journey of HOPE with us all.

My life will never be the same.

Sending more love then words can express...

Tracy said...

Thank you for this post and putting everything into perspective. I remember that post from that day as I have been following your story for a few years now. Rereading made me take such a deep, sorrowful breath and remember all that your brave Jacob endured.
I check on your family daily but have only commented once or twice. All of your children are precious and have smiles that warm my heart. It is such a joy to come here and thank you for continuing to share your story. May God continue to bless your family.

~Tracy
Texas

Marie said...

You're absolutely right, silly boys who won't study, a cold and a sick baby doesn't compare to the horror that you went through with Jacob. That said, you shouldn't feel guilty every time a bad day comes along. I mean, a paper cut is nothing compared to childbirth or a broken leg - but it still hurts like crazy!! You can still have bad days, even complain about them. You'll just always have something greater to put it all back into perspective.

Heather I would love to see you write a proper book on Jacob one day. Have you read "Hannah's Gift" by Maria Housden? If not I think you would find it valuable and you could write something similar about your wonderful boy.

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm still here praying!
Psalms 36:5-7 Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast. How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

Laura said...

Hi! Although, I don't leave a comment as often as before, I still stop by to read your posts and look at new pictures. I continue to talk about Jacob all of the time! I've read this post, particularly the journal entry from August 2005 about five times; it brought back a lot of memories. Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this around the time (maybe a couple weeks after the entry) that he was determined to buy stickers for his brothers? Although, your family has had more "bad" days than anyone should ever experience, Jacob's spirit and love was always and continues to be present.

This comment turned out to be A LOT longer than any others I've written, so I'll end it with my usual...

Smile :)

jenniferbf said...

I, too, remember that entry as I followed closely along and prayed many prayers that your precious son would be healed. I'll bet there are countless mothers (and fathers) out there who spend far more time with their children enjoying every moment because of your family's testimony.

I do want to share something with you that happened recently in Birmingham, Alabama. You may already know about it. But once again, I was reminded of the value of every moment. This was a different situation but like you, the parents have chosen to see this as an opportunity to share God's love and wonder:

http://www.rickandbubba.com/

If you can find the time to watch those three series (A Father's Heart) I can promise you will love the message. I can honestly say that it was the BEST "sermon" I have EVER heard.

Heather, I plan to buy both of your books...probably a copy for myself and others...Thank you so much for sharing the amazing journey of your beautiful family.

Your beauty is unique as it is inward and outward!!!

Jennifer

Denise C said...

Hi Heather! I am so glad to have found you...via Jodee's blog. You are an inspiration and a blessing ! Thanks for sharing your beautiful heart! I will be back checking up on your sweet family!
Blessings to you!

Becca said...

Heather,

Thank you for the reality check I so greatly needed. A Bad Day has been redefined for me, and I am shamed at what I would consider one. You're a remarkable person - and I am enjoying getting to read about Jacob.

Thanks,
Becca

mommy3 said...

Hi Heather! I distinctly remember that entry: how the Billy Graham quote about suffering impacted me, the "Amazing" guestbook entry from Maddie's mom, and the boy's first day of kindergarten (since my son was starting too).

As difficult and heartbreaking as it was to reread, I'm reminded how much we've all grown from reading about your family's "bad days". In the midst of utter despair, you have shared so much about hope after loss and true freedom in Christ. My life is changed because you've written transparently and from the heart. Thank you :)

We still think of Amazing Jacob a lot, and I always smile when you post photos of him and I see him in your header!

Allie looks so cute! I love when little ones are learning to walk. Such an exciting time :)

Hugs and smiles from CA,
Jenn B. and family

Dena said...

I remember that entry, but it made me cry once again. I remember praying for Jacob's bleeding to stop.
Thanks for the reminder that our bad mommy days could be much, much worse.
You are a wonderful mommy of 5 beautiful children.

Carmen said...

Heather I started reading your post in August of 2005. I remember reading that and feeling so sad because you missed the first day of school and sad that Jacob missed his first day to. I found Jacob's website when Raquel Barry (Kylie's Mom) ask everyone to pray for Jacob. Kylie is also an Amazing child, unless you knew her story you would never know she had ever had a sick day. I love Allie taking her first steps you can tell she is so proud. Her pictures with Minnie crack me up. I love them looking out the window. Tell Grandmom Happy Bithday.... Have a great weekend.
Carmen

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Heather, I remember that entry so vividly and all that were to follow. The tears started flowing again just re-reading it today. I remember praying non-stop for Jacob to be ok. I truly, truly have never prayed so hard for any one person as I did for him. I have your first book and I love it! I too want to remember forever the courage of that little boy and all of you. THANK YOu for Sharing! Take Care and have fun on your trip. Karrie Thulin, Denver, Colorado