Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Amazing Grace

Christians
By Maya Angelou

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven.

"When I say... "I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
And need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow!



I'm sure many of you have seen this poem before . . . I know I have read it several times over the years. But it showed up in my e-mail box this week so I thought I would share it. I just love this poem - it is so true and honest and is definitely the definition of what I think a Christian is!

And I am so thankful for the good grace God pours down on us everyday! But I admit that it took me a while to fully understand what God's grace really meant in my life. It's easy to talk about it - but to actually feel His grace and accept & receive it definitely took some time.


What is grace?


"The grace of God means something like: Here is your life. Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid. I am with you. Nothing can ever separate us. It's for you I created the universe. I love you. There's only one catch. Like any other gift, the gift of grace can be yours only if you'll reach out and take it. Maybe being able to reach out and take it is a gift too."
Frederick Buechner


"Grace is the activity of God motivated by His love - accepted by the receiver through faith."
~Author Unknown

And have you ever really listened to the lyrics of "Amazing Grace?" I just love this song, especially verse 3 . . .


"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.


There are many days I feel weak . . . weak from grief, weak from the stresses of life, weak from worries and fears. And it is during those times that I know that I need to cry out for God's grace to help carry me through the day. Once I just let go and admit that I can't do this on my own (some days that is so hard to do!) and let God's grace pour over me - then I feel His strength take over and my weakness disappear. Grace is available to ALL of us - we just have to reach out and take it. What an amazing gift God gives us all in GRACE!


May God's grace shine down on all of you today!

13 comments:

snekcip said...

BEAUTIFUL ENTRY! It's truly the small things in life that shows us that we are blessed beyond measure! I THANK GOD for each and every day (both bad and good ones) because it is through HIS GRACE he has allowed me to see YET ANOTHER DAY! I know I fall short so many days, and my faith is not sometimes where I think it should be, but God continues to look past my faults, what an awesome God he is!

Tonya said...

Yes, Heather, GOD'S GRACE is AMAZING! I love that old hymn too. We actually used the new Chris Tomlin version at Brent's funeral. The chorus makes me think of Brent and all of our other little ones who fought disease, that God has called HOME...

Amazing Grace - My Chains Are Gone
Chris Tomlin

Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace


The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace


The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine

You are forever mine



Your graphic is beautiful! As for how I made mine.. I used picnik.com it's FREE and really easy to use. You can change the color, add text and frames, and do all sorts of fun things with your pics!

Thanks for stopping by today...
LOVE YOU!

For some reason I'm not seeing that you're getting this message. I hope it doesn't send like TWENTY times. lol!!

dede said...

I needed this today - to be reminded of God's Amazing Grace. "He will my shield and portion be." I try to make it on my own so many times and make a little thing turn into a bigger thing.
I love the definition of Grace: "Unmerited Favor."
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I've been checking often (you probably know that with your sitemaster though...), but not having time to post. Your words and the way you quote others - it's all so seamless and meaningful and powerful. It's wonderful. The soapbox clip had me sobbing too...

Just wondering? Is there a way to sign up to get an e-mail that lets us know you have posted a new journal? You know how you can subscribe to the new caringbridge pages? Is there anything like that for blogs? Just curious! I wouldn't have to stalk your site so much if I knew I could just keep stalking my own e-mail box!!! :)

Keep forgetting to mention that I just love the picture of Allie with her two front teeth posted on the right side of the page. And the dress with the FROG is so beautiful I don't have the words to describe it... This is one lucky little girl!! :)

Rachel said...

I found the Christian's poem about three years ago and it has been on my desk calendar at work ever since. Thank you for the blessing of this post!

Lakeville Vertical said...

What a beautiful poem and entry. It has blessed me today. Thank you for sharing.

Carmen said...

Heather,
I've struggled for a month. My daughter Heather has had problems and it has been a diffucult month for both of us. Harder for her than me. She has panic attacks and anxiety so bad. I have been really worried about her this time. She just can't seem to get control of them. She can't seem to find any peace or joy right now. She's so afraid all the time.She is here with me or on the phone with me crying, telling me she's scared and that she can't breath. Afraid she's having a heart attack.She hasn't wanted to take medication, but she finally started taking lexapro 3 days ago. Hopefully she will start doing better. She hasn't been able to work. Please pray for her, that she will finally be able to sleep, eat, and enjoy spending time with her family again.
If you get time read this Nate's blog if you haven't already.
http://cfhusband.blogspot.com/. His wife Tricia has cystic Fibrosis. They have a little miracle baby Gwyneth Rose. They have so much faith in God and all his blessing. Today she found out that she will get new lungs.
Reading your blog today brought tears to my eyes. I guess I needed to hear all those words. I love Amazing Grace, my favorite song. I know every word of that song. I memorized it when I was 10 or 11.
Your Friend,
Carmen

Sue said...

Heather this is an amazing post. The town I live in just lost a 18 year old boy to a very tragic accident and I think all of us have been touched by it. I was feeling really sad when I opened your post and it reminded me to fully rely on god and I prayed for strength and for this family. Thank you for the reminder. I just want your other reader "Carmen" to know I will pray for peace for her daughter and for strength for her.

Anonymous said...

God's
Riches
At
Christ's
Expense


Going to the Lord on your family's behalf right now!
Ps 65:2 O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come.

Amy said...

Thanks for the poem Heather, I don't think I've read it before. It sure is a good reminder.
Were headed over to Disney untill Sunday. I know how much Jacob loved it and I'm sure I'll see things that remind me of him, maybe a Cardinal. We are all pretty excited!! I'm just checking my favorite Blog's before we leave.

Jenny said...

Heather,

God's amazing GRACE... there is truly nothing better.

I absolutely love Frederick Beuchner. He writes so openly and honestly about his faith and he doesn't ignore the hard stuff of life. Have you read The Shack by William P. Young? (You know in all your spare time!! :) I finished it not long ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a fictional story, but it reveals God's love and His grace in an amazing way.

Hope today is a good day!
Jenny

Mamasita said...

Heather, your words on grace are so similar to the words our minister spoke about on Sunday. It was about Paul and his desire to think/act/feel one way, but his humanness kept him from it. He then talked about the way that Jesus is the bridge that helps to "fix" all of this. If you click over to my blog, you can read more info about it. I think you will like it - it really has been resounding in my head for days now.

I love all of your pictures of your sweet babies as well as spiritual insights. We seem to have similar outlooks and desires.

Thank you for making such a difference in so many peoples lives.

Anonymous said...

Grief is like a giant river. It constantly moves. It carries us places that we dare not go otherwise. It sometimes carries us exactly where we desire. It rises and ebbs and flows. It diminishes. It rages. It overflows its banks. It can free us. It feeds us and sometimes we must feed it. Sometimes it must be paddled gently. Other times it takes our oars and spins us out of control. It takes us over waterfalls that consume us and take our breath away. It seemingly has no beginning. And no end.

But once we are one with the river, we learn the intricacies of it. We can rest on shore. Or near the rock formations. We learn to hear its songs. And the music becomes familiar. We know the history, the science and the geography of the river.

This takes time. So much time. You must feel like you are drowning, but you will come to the surface and the river will pull you along. You will see the brilliant colors of the sky, the trees, the flowers, the shore. The faces you love so very much will be running along with you.

The river will carry you until you can stand and wade through to its edges. But it will never leave you.

Your extraordinary strength will help you row. It is well that you are speaking with someone who is a new face... where you can pour all of yourself out.

Author Unknow -