Thursday, April 3, 2008

Surprise Visitor!

We live in Florida -
on a conservation lot,
which means that the land behind our house can not be developed.

We love the beautiful view from our backyard.
There is even a sidewalk that goes around the entire pond so the boys often ride their bikes out there and we usually take a walk everyday.

The boys love living so close to a pond and you can often find them fishing, catching frogs and minnows and exploring around the pond.
But living this close to nature also means that we have had our fair share of surprise visitors -
some of which aren't very welcome around here.


The first visitor we ever had wasn't welcome at all! He was discovered shortly after we moved in several years ago and you could often see him swimming through the water or sunning himself on the bank. No one wanted him around, though, and a real live "crocodile hunter" was called in to remove him from the pond.
Yes, our first visitor was a 5-ft. alligator -
and yes, that is our house right behind them!

I am happy to report that we haven't seen another one since this one was removed and
don't worry - we check around the pond often for any new alligators!

The next unwelcome visitor keeps coming back as we have spotted this guy several times around the pond and yard. Thankfully he is not poisonous - but he has gotten trapped on our porch twice since we have lived here. I don't like this guy at all - a black racer snake - but the boys are fascinated with him!


The next guy took me completely by surprise one day because I never expected an otter to be living in our pond! He was so cute and entertained us with his playful antics in the water and on the banks. Two otters lived in the pond for about a month before moving on . . . and unfortunately we haven't seen them since!

And well, most of you know that we see this guy (below) just about everyday.
We love the visits from our cardinal.

But yesterday afternoon we had a new visitor. One that we haven't seen before - standing out by the pond. We heard it before we saw it because it has one of the loudest cries I've ever heard and it sounds like a dying cat! I went running to the door when I heard it because Brandon was out back and I wanted to make sure he was okay. When I got to the door Brandon was running up the yard yelling for me to come see what was out there!

Can you guess what it was this time?

It was a peacock!
I couldn't believe it.
So of course, the first thing I do is grab my camera.
Look how beautiful this guy is!

And here he is yelling. I never knew they were so loud!Then that crazy bird flew on our neighbor's roof.

There he is again - still on the roof. He hung out there for a good hour and we all had fun watching him and listening to him. I have no idea where he came from - but he sure did entertain us and half the neighborhood kids, too!

Allie watching the peacock on the roof. She did not like it at all when he started wailing!
Baby Girl does not like to walk in the grass.
She just follows me around with her little arms in the air saying, "UP" because she wants me to pick her up off the grass.
Pretty hard to resist this sweetness!


Here she is again - pulling on my leg - saying UP!


Okay, carpet is much better!
Now we can laugh again! :0)

"In Your presence is fullness of joy . . ."
Psalm 16:11

30 comments:

Leah said...

She is sooo cute! Oh my goodness. I could just eat her up! The grass thing is hilarious. My little guy was like that in the snow this year when we went to CO for vacation.
I can't believe all of that amazing wildlife. We went to Sanibel a few years ago and I was petrified of the possibility of having a run-in with a gator. Yikes!

Amy S. said...

Well...I can take all the above visitors..but that alligator..I have a problem with. I have dreams of an alligator coming up on my grass from our big lake we live on..all I can say is Ewwwwww! I describe myself as "loving all animals"..and "working" on loving the "alligator". The are so scary and not so good looking to me..lol.
Precious little Allie as usual..Soooooooooo sweet!

Love and Hugs...

Allison said...

That is so wild - I can't believe you had a peacock in your backyard. They are so pretty - you did a good job yaking pictures. If I had that many visitors I would be staying inside LOL.

Jennifer said...

I've always wondered about you guys and the gators! I had a friend who lived in Eustiss (sp?)Florida for a while and they had a lake in their backyard. We all went water skiing for an entire day and it wasn't until that night that they informed me that several gators lived in the lake! UGH!! It still gives me the heeby jeebies to think that I was swimming in the same lake as gators!

We have a few snakes around here too and I agree - not my favorite visitor! We were visited by a bobcat in heat the other night. Talk about a "scream"! All in all though, I love living in the midst of nature! I thik it's so good for the kids to learn first hand about animals!

Well, have a good afternoon! Hopefully I'll see you for FFF.

Jennifer

The Nanny said...

That peacock is amazing! My goodness--that certainly is a surprise! :-)

Maureen said...

Heather,
That reminds me of last year at our house, now let me say that I do not live near water, but we occassionally see a black racer on a our porch. But imagine my surprise when I saw 7, yes, I said 7! Black racers on my porch at the same time. I was too scared to get my camera! Apparently it was mating season and they were in some kind of mating "ball" on my porch. After a while they all found their way out. I am always on guard when we go out on our porch!! :)

Hoping the snakes find another gathering place this season,
Maureen

Our Family of 5 said...

Oh Oh Oh! Your brave! LOL
I hve goosebumps looking at the snake! Ewww! I would be afraid to walk out of the house. But on the other hand, what a beautiful place to live by and the fun the boys are having. That is fantastic. And Miss Allie! My gosh does she get any sweeter? I wanna squish her!
Now on another note, Send me some of that green grass and sunshine!

GoSuze! said...

Don't feed the peacock! It will fall in love with you and NEVER LEAVE. There's nothing like being awakened by a screaming peacock on your roof at 6:00 in the morning.

Wow, that was 25 years ago, and I'm still bitter!

Love your site!!

Rachel said...

Wow! What a blessing to be able to enjoy such creatures (well...except for the first two). I love the "up" photo...so precious!

valerie said...

Wow....what amazing visitors you have! I would be scared to death if I saw an alligator or a snake.
The peacock is beautiful.
I think the most surprised I've ever been (we live in the city) was when we discovered a family of skunks that had been living under our house. It wasn't until we started doing some remodeling and removed our back deck that we discovered one, then another, then another....
It was terrible. That last one we caught was mad and sprayed.
Anyway....that's another story for another day.
You have a lovely yard and the view is great. I bet the kids just love it there.
Allie is precious as always!
Valerie

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

What sweet pictures!!!

I'm SO thankful that I will NEVER have your first two visitors in my backyard. I may occasionally see a deer......or fox....but NEVER an alligator or snake. eek!!

I LOVE your pictures....I just wanna smooch that sweet Allie to pieces.

Enjoy your weekend friend.

Kim~

Bobbi said...

And, I scream when I see a mouse! I would loose it with an alligator!!

Funny how they don't like the grass when they are little. But, I am big and don't love it on my feet either. It is tough to find someone to carry me.

Jodee said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe that alligator was right behind your house. That is just crazy! Snakes are scary too! I could handle the pretty peacock though!

Cute pictures of Allie! She is just adorable!

Reba said...

How neat is that! A peacock! I have to take my students to the zoo to see one of those. (And they are noisy :) I wonder why little ones never like the grass on their feet. I think all of our kids were that way. Joshua tolerates it, but he also tries to eat it. :)
Beautiful pictures!
Reba

Leah said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! However, I can't believe that the first time I ever used a "bad word", you read my blog. I'm so embarassed.
I think you are such an amazing person. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

Amanda said...

Oh WOW! I just showed my husband this particular blog entry and he said "there is just now way I could do that" .. meaning live righ up next to that pond with those creaters. He's funny! What a beaufiful peacock though and the otter looked so cute out there! What a beautiful view you have from your backyard though! In CA I have the mountains.

Allie is ADORABLE as always. My friends baby is the same way with feeling the grass through her lil sandles. It's cute!

Sarah said...

Wow! I want to live where you live! How cool (sans crocodile and snake)!! I love the pic of the peacock up on the roof... something about the pattern in the clouds makes me think of Jacob putting his head back laughing at the sight below! You have always amazed me with your beautiful photogrpahy!

Heading your way down to sunny FLA tomorrow to the panhandle (hoping that I see you in July at the same beach)! Have a wonderful weekend with your beautiful family!!!!

Love and FROG!

Anonymous said...

Okay, skip the gators and snakes but the otters! I love otters! And cardinals! And peacocks! I guess my youngest daughter has seen a peacock several times a little ways away from here. I've never seen one actually fly before, though. I've seen them walking around in zoos, but never anywhere else and always walking...
You're in my prayers!
Psalms 130:1-2 Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.

Lakeville Vertical said...

I think I would faint if I saw a gator like that in my yard. I'm usually pretty brave although grossed out by snakes but a gator-no thanks. The peacock sure was beautiful. I saw a pair of cardinals flitting around my yard today and thought of your Jacob. What a special little guy!

Kelly said...

Love the pictures of the visitors and your cute kids!!

Susan said...

Hey Heather,

First, I didn't sign for your other post, wow, it was so AWESOME. Praise God for his GRACE, where would any of us be without it?

Now, these visitors, thank God you do have SONS!! They can handle this very well I can see. Little Allie will just have to learn, and she will be right there in the middle of catching frogs, and the whole nine yards.

BUT, she'll be dressed so beautifully, no one will ever mistake her for any thing other then a princess!

Have a blessed weekend!

Susan


Picture were GREAT, loved them♥

Tim said...

Heather, that is so funny - a peacock! We have pretty much those same critters here too (we're a little north of you), including the peacock. We've just started seeing ours as we drive to the beach on an old winding little road. Twice now he's popped out of the woods right before we were next to him! Of course no time to get my old clinker camera going. I think you've mentioned this before, but what kind of camera do you use? You're pics are stunning! Of course your subjects are pretty darn cute too :O) I posted pics of flowers on my blog today and they all look "fuzzy".
Thanks for sharing the GrEaT pics :O)

Tracie

Alison said...

Your messages continue to inspire me each time I read them. What a wonderful place to live and what amazing memories for your children.

Alison

www.caringbridge.com/canada/andrewsjourney

Rohrbachs said...

Hello Wow! An aligator Yikes! :) I have family that lives in Florida and they are always sending us pictures of the neat animals that are there. I Love your photos . The one of Allie with her hands up was so cute! I hope you don't mind but I foooled around with it and added a Bible verse that came to mind when I saw her sweet face. I was going to send it to you via e-mail but could not find an address so I made the link available to you . And if you want me to delete after you see it that is fine too . Hope you like it :) Blessings The rohrbachs
IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/lorijoanne30/Allieverse1.jpg[/IMG]

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are sooooo good! Allie is GORGEOUS! I could handle all your visitors EXCEPT the alligator. Oh my goodness!!! Karaline, my 8yr old, would be in HEAVEN at your house (alligator and all).

Rohrbachs said...

My apologies . Here is the link for the picture

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/lorijoanne30/Allieverse1.jpg

Faithful Froggers said...

Rohrbachs,

Thank you so much for the beautiful scripture you added to Allie's picture. I loved it and saved it to my computer. It was just perfect!

Have a great weekend!
Love & FROG,
Heather

Stephanie said...

Heather,
I loved, loved, loved all your cute pictures. Your house looks like it has a lot of laughter, even though you all miss your sweet Jacob.

I thought the peacock pictures were neat, especially the one with it on the roof. That sure doesn't happen in our neighborhood!

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments about the post for my Papa. You are sweet!

snekcip said...

Looks like the Duckworth family WONT HAVE TO MAKE A VISIT TO THE ZOO anythime soon (LOL)! You have the cranes, gators, snakes, otters, beautiful cardinals and even a peacock! I love it!! (well except the GROSS SNAKE and GATOR!!!) I would have been screaming louder than the peacock had I seen the snake!!!!

I see the neighbors got a new "weathervane"! The peacock on the roof was HILARIOUS!!! Loved the comment from the visitor who stated "dont feed it, it will never leave"!! I almost fell outta my chair I laughed so hard!! My mom always said a peacock is a beautiful animal UNTIL you take a peek at its feet (oh yeah, that's right you aren't a FOOT PERSON) but hey take a look at it's feet Heather! They ARE UG-GA-LEE!!!!

The pictures are just too precious (love the one from the visitor who added a verse!!) I HAVE GOT TO GET THIS CAMERA, what awesome pics you have!!!

Enjoy your day and keep the pics coming!!

Kelly said...

Heather and Family -

The next time that I have a "visitor" I know who I am calling. You handle the most stressful situations so well, I don't know how you do it. I would have been in the house, on top of the table and screaming at the top of my lungs. There is no way that I would be out there in the middle of it, with a camera, no less. Thank you for sharing your beautiful family with all of us.

Allie is getting so cute. Keep enjoying her and sharing her with us.

In Him,
Kelly