Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy 10th Birthday, Kyle!

Hello friends,

It is so hard to believe that my baby is 10 years old today!
It seems like only yesterday Donnie & I were anxiously awaiting the birth of Kyle - our first child. I can remember waking up that night to go to the bathroom and realizing that my water broke. After a quick call to the doctor we were on our way to the hospital! I was absolutely terrified . . . not knowing what to expect as I had heard to many different childbirth stories from friends.

And unfortunately, Kyle was not an easy delivery. I was induced the next morning because I never did go into labor after my water breaking. I progressed quickly, had the epidural and was ready to push in 5 hours. I thought I was doing so well . . . until we all realized that Kyle wasn't coming very easily. He was face up and his shoulders were stuck. My epidural was cut off in the hopes of me being able to push better. Needless to say, after over 4 hours of strenuous pushing - with no epidural - I was completely exhausted and I had several truly terrifying moments when I thought I just wasn't going to make it. Never in my life had I been in so much pain and never in my life had fear and worry consumed my heart so violently. Finally, after pushing with every ounce of my being and the doctor pulling with forceps as hard as he could -

Kyle was born.

And I sobbed with relief that his birth was over . . . and then I sobbed even louder when I realized that Kyle and I were both fine. It was not at all a fun experience . . . not at all the type of birth that was talked about in our lamaze class! It was truly a terrifying time for all and Donnie jokes that he still has nightmares about Kyle's birth! In fact, I can remember telling Donnie moments after Kyle was born that Kyle would be an only child - because there was NO WAY I was doing that again.
But then they placed my sweet baby in my arms and I instantly felt such an overwhelming feeling of love wash over me. And at that very moment all the pain and worry was absolutely worth it when I looked at Kyle's sweet face. At that very moment, I became a mother. And it didn't take me very long to completely forget about the pain . . . and want another baby! Donnie calls it "Mommy Amnesia." :0)

Kyle has blessed our life in so many ways. He is such a neat kid . . .
He is so smart - especially in math and science. He has a natural way with numbers and can figure out most problems in his head. Long ago I realized he was way smarter than his Momma! :)
He has a memory that doesn't forget anything! He loves dinosaurs and learning all about pre-historic life. It absolutely fascinates him. His favorite show is Prehistoric Planet - on the Discovery Kids channel. Kyle is very affectionate and so very sweet! He is very in tune with me. He always knows if I am sad or upset or worried about something and he does not like me to be sad at all - it bothers him a lot. He is very sensitive and kind-hearted. He follows the rules and is brutally honest. He is so loving and gives the best hugs. Kyle just has a way of making me happy.
But Kyle's life has not been without a few obstacles . . .
He was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD 4 years ago.
I can remember being devastated and so very worried about him . . . laying awake many nights praying for Kyle.
But one night while praying I thought of the following scripture . . .

"I praise you because of the wonderful way you created me."
Psalm 139:14

And I realized that God created Kyle in a wonderful, perfect way.
Kyle is absolutely wonderful in the eyes of God and God loves him just the way he is!
And we think Kyle is pretty wonderful, too!

Kyle has the biggest heart! And although he definitely sees the world a little differently than I do -
I have learned so much from him and I love him with all of my heart and soul!
I have to admit that there are still some days when worry creeps in - especially as Kyle gets older. But we have never focused on his issues, but instead focused on his abilities. Kyle has thrived and there is no doubt in my mind that Kyle will do BIG things in life. He is one special kid and I am beyond blessed to be his Mom!


Happy 10 years, Kyle!
May you always know how much you are loved and how we thank God for YOU!



3 days old

6 months old

15 months old
2 years old
3 years old


4 years old


5 years old


6 years old

7 years old
8 years old
9 years old
Happy 10th Birthday!
"You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes."
~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.


We celebrated Kyle's birthday on Sunday and just had the best time.
I will update soon with pictures and video!


So thankful for the gift of Kyle,

32 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! I can't believe how much Kyle and Jacob look alike in so many of these photos-WOW!!! It's time for you guys to start figuring out how you're gonna keep the girls away from your handsome man cuz he's way too cute!

Marie said...

Happy Birthday Kyle!!!

I didn't know Kyle had Aspergers...well no worry, so do I and I get by just fine. Autism is something to be PROUD of, we're very special!! Go Kyle!

Bobbi said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle. I hope you had a great party, and you have a great day today.

Heather, a close family friend has a son with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD as well. He is now in high school. Yes, he does see the world differently than the rest of us, but he has taught me to look at the world differently with him. It has been/and is a long road. I think he will do great things, as will Kyle. With such a supportive and loving family, he will go far.

Kristine said...

HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY KYLE!!!

what a beautiful tribute you wrote about Kyle. I had no idea that Kyle has Asperger's. My cousin does also! They seem to be the most loving people.

I have to say I did a double look at Kyle's 3 year old picture (the first one with the striped shirt) He looks So much like Jacob in that picure! Wow!

Well, Kyle I hope you had a great party, which I am sure you did :) I hope your birthday today is full of happy and fun times.

HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY! Have a piece of cake for me too ;)

Vicki said...

Happy 10th Birthday Kyle!!

Amy said...

Happy 10th Birthday Kyle, I hope you have the best day ever. I love all the pictures, you sure are handsome.

Elinor Schwartz said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle. I am sure you received a lot of gifts, but you also GIVE the best gift of all, your love and caring. You are quite the young man!

Anonymous said...

Happy Decade Kyle!! What a loving tribute from mom. There is not a better birthday present in the world. Enjoy your day Kyle. I hope you're getting spoiled rotten (like there's any question of that!)

Rebekah said...

HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY Kyle ... way to go - TWO digits! Heather ... I love your post and all the pictures and I have to say ... that picture of him at 2 years old looks just like Jacob ... my goodness ... it is like they were twins ... all your boys are prescious and beautiful ... and of course Allie - well she is beyond words ... God Bless and have a heavenly day!

Rebekah and Jaden!

snekcip said...

HAPPY "DOUBLE DIGITS" KYLE!!!Your one awesome DINOSAUR DOTING DASHING DUDE!!! I know you had a wonderful b-day, I hope it was EVERYTHING YOU WISHED FOR!

I know it was some awesome SPLASH BIRTHDAY BASH!!!! I wish you many more years of happiness and I know w/o a doubt w/a wonderful and loving family you will aspire to do great things!

Zhohn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLE!

I didn't realize how much Jacob looked like Kyle when he was younger (especially two-four).

Can't wait for pics from the party.

Audra said...

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY KYLE! I Hope your day is as Special as you are!

Heather, as I've read in some of the messages, I too see the resemblence of Kyle and Jacob. The 3 year old picture, with the stripe shirt on, I really had to look good because I saw Jacob sitting there. WOW! Such handsome, handsome little guys, ALL 4 of them, you are going to be bombarded with girls calling for these cuties :) I can tell you I'm not ready for that stage :), My little man, is MY little man :) I'm sure you can relate to that!

Your post on your boy was and always is Beautiful, what a precious gift for them to always have, Loving words from their Mother. I really need to start a blog for that very reason, for my kids to have a source of reference of what their childhood was like, how special it IS to me and how very much I Love them.

Enjoy your Beautiful Kyle, and enjoy the day remembering that Most wonderful feeling of becoming a Mother for the first time....10 Years Ago!

Much Love,
Audra

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday Kyle, Hopeyou had an awesome day! And Heather, good luck for the preteens!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! I hope you day was as special as you! Your Mom does'nt like you at all does she, lol! just kiddin! Hugs from Fort Worth! P.S. I think Jacob takes after you too! HANDSOME!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Happy Birthday Kyle!!!! What a handsome young man you are.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Kyle! I hope you are having a super fun day with your family and friends.

And I will echo just about everyone else. I never realized how much you and Jacob looked alike! Amazing. You are all very handsome boys!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Kyle!
Can't believe your mom can produce a picture jus like that for every year of your life, she is REALLY organized!

Heather .. my 7 yr old was born exactly as your Kyle, and I was worried too. Same thing, face up, exhausting huh!

My step-son was dx with aspergers at age 6 as well. We all were so worried for him. He is turning 17 next month, is graduating high school, has a girlfriend and a part-time job, he is doing GREAT! You will see that in time, your worries for him will fade a bit. Nice to see he is good in maths and science .. he will definatley go far!!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle! Oh, how the years fly by. The birth of my first son, almost 14 years ago, was also not at all what I had expected. I said that he would be our only child as well and here we are with four children. Haha! Our daughter (who was also adopted by the way) has ADHD. It's no big deal. I tell her all of the time that it's just something that God has given her to spice up her life. She's one spicey little girl, too.

You are such a great Mom. Keep doing what you're doing and your children will overcome all of the obstacles that life throws their way!

Anonymous said...

happy 10th birthday kyle =)
may God bless your day and have a blessing week

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! YOu are a precious and handsome young man!! I am glad to hear that you are working so hard to overcome your obstacles... they will make you strong!!! My son, Grant, has similar obstacles... and it is not easy... but your parents love you so much, I just know that you will show the world how awesome you are!

Hope your birthday is fantastic!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle! I hope you have a fantastic day! :)

Smile :)

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Kyle! Happy Birthday to you!

Kyle and my son are very much alike. Such blessings! There is nothing quite like the love of a mother and her child!

Love,
J

threehandprints said...

Happpy Birthday Kyle!! I know it probably seems like only yesterday that he was born. My oldest is 6 and it sure seems like that to me. I am trying not to 'blink' too many times! :) Have a Blessed Day!

Amy S. said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Boy! I hope you had a wonderful time with all of your family. I loved seeing your viedo.You looked like you had a wonderful time!
Hugs Big Boy!

Love and Hugs...

JanetPG said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLE!!!!
I hope you had the very best day ever!!
Love, Kyle :)

Heather-
Thank you so much for your beautiful, meaningful post on Kyle. I love how honest you are with your feelings and how beautifully you write.

I watched a documentary this past weekend called "Autism: The Miracle Project" and it was about a group of kids with Autism and kids on the spectrum.

There was a boy who was fascinated with dinosaurs and he had Asperger's. The more I watched the more he reminded me of your Kyle, so this post today was quite surreal, actually!!

Boy did you have a difficult time four years ago...

I continue to be amazed with your family and the way you navigate through life's journey.

I see many others have written this as well, but I thought I'd also share that I had no idea how much Kyle and Jacob looked alike, that three-year-old picture is just amazing; you really do have to take a quick double take, wow!!

You have such a special family!!

Unknown said...

Heather,
I just wanted to add, give him all the hugs you can now! I remember when Austin was ten, he is fifteen now and these last five years went even faster than the first five. I love my teenager, yes, I love my teenager. See I repeat this over and over, just kidding. But the loving hugger and fan of mom, isn't always that way anymore and I sure do miss my sweet ten-year-old boy sometimes. But he is handsome and good, and my heart is filled with love! Just advice... love and enjoy him as much as possible, it will go by so very fast. Love you all!!!

Sue said...

Happy Birthday from Walla Walla, WA. It sure looks like you had a nice celebration. I know that what ever obstacles face you together with the love and support you have from your family you will overcome them.

Leeann said...

Happy, happy birthday Kyle!

Turning ten is a big deal; I remember it well and how proud I was to be turning "double digits"!

I know you enjoyed your days of celebration with your family.

Leeann

Anonymous said...

hey there! happy belated birthday! i can see you had a great time!! im 17 and have Aspergers i was just dx a few months ago but my mom and i had always thought i had it..we are special and are here to do something special for God! if you have any questions about AS please feel free to e-mail me!
-shelby
americaneagle517@aol.com

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kyle!

I too did a double take at some of Kyle's photos thinking they were Jacob's! Your boys all look alike in their own ways and yet so very different.

Kyle seems like such a great big brother to everyone and I am so glad he had such a special celebration in his honor!

Tara

Tenille Rauls said...

What a great birthday celebration! I loved his cake~ Happy belated birthday Kyle!
The quote at the end of this post is great! Have a wonderful week~ Tenille Rauls
http:\\tenille.blogplot.com
Thanks for stopping by Heather~