Thursday, April 17, 2008

Unexpected Blessings


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart . . ."
Proverbs 3:5


Hello friends,

There are so many great "memes" out there - but I don't always have time to join in on the fun. Many times I have wanted to write on certain topics - but my computer time is limited with Baby Girl in the house. Usually I only update while she is napping because it is impossible to write with her underfoot. She is into everything and would have all my computer drawers emptied in a matter of minutes if she were in here with me! And I don't usually update at night because after I clean the kitchen, pick up Allie's toys all over the house and fold a load of laundry - my brain is mush and I'm too tired to write. :) Plus, that is my only time with Donnie - so computer time is limited in the evenings as well.

But I thought I would try to participate in one meme a week . . . and this week I'm joining in "Thankful Thursday" because today I am thankful for Unexpected Blessings.

Life is full of surprises and I always think of the quote from Forrest Gump . . .

"Life is like a box of chocolates . . . you never know what you are going to get."

This quote couldn't be more true. No matter how much you plan, pray or prepare - life doesn't always work out the way you think it will or the way you want it to. Sometimes life's surprises aren't very good at all and sometimes those surprises are wonderful . . . you never know what you are going to get. And then sometimes life can throw a surprise at you that turns into an Unexpected Blessing that you are oh, so very thankful for! Let me fill you in on our unexpected blessing . . .

Many of you know that I have a good friend, Rhonda, who lost her husband to cancer. She has 3 boys who are 11, 7 & 4 and they are good friends with my guys. We do a lot of things together and always have the best time. Well, over the past year Rhonda and my brother, Steve, became good friends and my brother would often help her with things around her house. Here's a picture of all of us last year at Disneyworld. This is really when Steve & Rhonda became friends.


Well that friendship grew into something more - which thrilled us all - and Rhonda and Steve started dating! Rhonda already felt like family and it just seemed natural that her and Steve were a couple. Rhonda's boys really like my brother and they all get along well.


Well, not long ago Steve and Rhonda shocked us all with the news that they are expecting a baby. What a big surprise that was to our entire family . . . I'm sure my jaw hit the floor when I heard the news because it was the last thing in the world I expected to hear. This pregnancy was not at all planned or expected and certainly didn't come under the circumstances we might have hoped for . . . but my - what a blessing it is!

"Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit."
Bill Cosby

Steve, Rhonda & the boys are all so excited about this new little one and our family is all of a sudden making baby and wedding plans. They just found out that the baby is another BOY! So Allie will remain outnumbered and will continue to be the only princess in the house. But how lucky she is to be protected by all these boys who love her so much.

I am so excited about this new baby . . . my nephew! I have prayed for years that my brother would meet the right girl, get married and have a family . . . and it is just amazing how God brought them together - even if things didn't quite happen in the order I prayed for. :) After watching my brother in the "uncle" role for the past 10 years, it will be so great to see him as a dad.

Needless to say, my parents were also very surprised with this news but welcome 4 new grandchildren with open arms.


And well, in a family where I am definitely outnumbered by the men myself - I am very excited to be gaining a new sister-in-law. Rhonda has been such a good friend throughout the years and already feels like my sister!


The boys are all excited that they will be cousins. We are quite a crew when we go out together - with 8 kids - soon to be 9! Allie is the only girl and she sure does get a lot of lovin' from all the boys!


Keller, Tyler, Devin, Kyle, Allie, Brandon, Hunter &
Josh (who is my step-brother)

So, yes, this baby was very unexpected - yet what a blessing it will be. And today I am so thankful for this new life! Please join me in praying for Steve & Rhonda and her boys. We all love Steve & Rhonda and will be here to help them and support them as they face the days ahead - adjusting as a new family and preparing for a new baby. May God wrap them in His love and guide their hearts in every decision they make together. And may He bless them with a very healthy pregnancy, delivery and baby boy! I can't wait to hold him . . . and you know I've already bought him a FROG outfit. :)

This Thankful Thursday I am grateful for this unexpected blessing that will be my nephew! His timing coming into the world might have been a big surprise - but God knows him and has formed him! This baby is most definitely wanted and will be loved so much.

For other Thankful Thursday posts, please visit Sting My Heart.

Ending with a scripture . . .

"So take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything."
1 Peter 4:8

Praying with so much love,

32 comments:

Our Two Blessings From Above said...

Great news!
When looking at pictures, I always thought how neat that would be if they started dating.
I am sure God had his hand in all of this!
What a beautiful story! What a beautiful gift God has given them too, a son. I will join you in praying for them.
How exciting!
Enjoy.

snekcip said...

What a blessing babies are despite ANY circumstances. We all know that things don't always work in the order in which WE planned. I have learned that through your AMAZING JACOB, I have learned to appreciate the blessings and DONT QUESTION the circumstances!!! Jacob taught to enjoy each and every moment!!

We are expecting a NEW BABY this fall as well, our oldest daughter, will be giving birth in early November, "are we excited?" that's an understatement, we are ELATED and can't wait! The sex has not been determined just yet, but we will love him/her to the utmost!

Allie will love all that attention... well until she reaches the age of dating (LOL), they will be OVERPROTECTIVE of her no doubt, I speak from experience! I grew up w/5 brothers and NO GUY was good enough to date me or my little sister!! Allie has a WHOLE LOT more protectors than us!! Wow and that doesn't even include Donnie yet (LOL)!!

My Congrats to Rhonda/Steve and the new baby boy!!

Keisha said...

Wow! What a Sweet Story! Thanks for sharing! Great Post!
Ps. You have a very beautiful family!
Blessings,
Keisha

Tim said...

I've learned through the years that no matter how much planning *I* do, God has different plans! Congratulations on ALL the new additions to your family. It's so nice to hear good news about a new life :O) Thanks for sharing such a sweet story!

Also, what are "memes"? Remember, I'm still getting my feet wet at this blogging thing;O)

Tracie

Susan said...

Oh Heather,

I'm thrilled. I fell in love with Rhonda a long time ago, gosh, isn't God always just amazing??? Truly His ways are not ours! Please send my love to her and your brother!

On another note, I had the most wonderful "unexpected blessing" also.

I dreamed I was at YOUR house! I kept saying how excited I was to finally meet you Heather. All the boys were running around and I got to hold Allie. Then came the BIGGEST surprise, Jacob came running out behind a couch with his arms lifted up. He was laughing so hard and said, did I surprise you? I wanted to CRY!

In the dream I said, oh, I get to finally meet Jacob after all these years.

OK,I know it was just a "dream" but I woke up in the BEST mood. I felt like I really got to meet you ALL. I thanked God over and over.

Hope you have a blessed day my friend♥

Amy S. said...

I can't believe this my friend. I am in "shock"...but oh so happy!Was this the person you were talking about in Aug. ..when I asked you if you liked who Rhonda was dating???..lol.

I am sending nothing but best wishes and happiness their way. I am thrilled beyond words. Give them my love and a great big Hug from me. I am sooooooooo excited!

Love and Hugs...

humble servant said...

I can't even imagine the awesomeness of a God who allows such happiness in the wake of such pain. Your two families are surely blessed to be able to show the world what can happen when you let God's grace pour out upon you.

What a wonderful witness!

Thank you for sharing the news and many many congratulations to Rhonda and Steve and the rest of your newly expanded family!

Dell5 said...

Heather ~ The story of Rhonda & Steve gave me chills. I think there are two angels in Heaven working their magic. Another boy...actually I think that's kind of cool that Allie will still be the only girl. It's just another boy to wrap around her little finger!

Thanks for sharing this amazing news! I'm very happy for everyone!

www.caringbridge.org/visit/hayden

Dena said...

That's so fun! It looks like a lot of family fun going on there and wowsa all the boys! You can start your own family soccer team!

Kat said...

Doesn't God work in the most ASTOUNDING ways?!?!? Patrick and Jacob most likely had a hand in this, hehe! Beautiful family, wonderful news, HUGE BLESSINGS!

I'm "Grammy" to gorgeous 12-month-old twin boys and their mother (my awesome daughter) will give birth to their little brother in a few short weeks. My daughter is unmarried and both pregnancies have been quite a surprise. But those babies are priceless blessings to us and of course we love them regardless of the difficult (and less traditional!) circumstances of their conceptions and births. God does NOT make mistakes!

I am just grinning about Miss Allie being the only girl in that mess o' boys! She'll rule over them all, I'm sure!!! What a princess she will be, and so protected and so loved.

Thank you for sharing your *unexpected blessing* with us, and pass congrats on to your brother and sis-in-law-to-be!

Kathy
Richardson, TX

Kristine said...

your recent post left me in tears! It was so beautifully written. I hope you shared it with Rhonda and Steve ;)

I can feel the love and support from your family. I think that is awesome and admire your family.

When I read your post I always say to myself, does this family ever get in disagreements? LOL I love (and a little jealous) how well your family seems to get along and love everyone as who they are! I think more families should take some lessons from the Duckworth family and the extended family members.
I only wish my extended family was so fun and lovingly as yours seems to be. Mine is always agruing who said this and who said that. Can of sad, but it makes me not want to be around them.
Can I join your family? It just looks SO inviting and warm :)

Btw -- I tried to watch your video but it kept freezing on me :( I will have to try it another time. I love Grandpa's t-shirt though ;)

Congratulations to Rhonda and Steve and their new baby boy! Praying for a healthy and safe delivery.

Kelly said...

Heather,

Congrats on the new little one and on the sis-in-law. I once heard that we should take the things that we can fix and fix them, but the things that we cant fix,just hand them over to God. That is so true.

I guess my "thankful thursday" took place on Tuesday instead. I posted my "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy" blog then.

Again, congratulations on both new arrivals to your family.

Take Care and FROG,
In Him,
Kelly

Denise said...

Welcome to thankful thursday, so happy you joined us. Your story is so precious, thanks for sharing it.

Sue said...

How totally awsome! I know after my dad died our eldest daughter revealed she was pregnant with our first grandchild and she wasn't married to the father. Our angel "Ciara" was born and we got a son in law as well. Not in the order we would have liked but God had a plan and we all love both our granddaugher and son in law. What a blessing for your family. I remember not long ago you were wishing your nephew and niece on Donny's side of the family was closer and now look what you got a nephew you can see, hug, love, etc. any day you want. Congrats to the whole family :)

Darlene said...

Welcome to TT. Glad that things worked out so great for your brother and friend. Thanks for sharing!
Have a great week!

D Griffin said...

That's great! I had followed her late husband's site for quite some time - but lost the link! Let her know that there are many blessings with her and her family - and congrats on the baby!

Kelley said...

God is so good and this is just evidence that He works all things for the good of those who love Him. Thank you for sharing this amazing story, I have been really moved by it. There is so much pain and suffering in the world and to see God restoring lives and bringing families together is something we need to hear more about!

Congratulations on all of your new family members!

Love,
Kelley

Martha from NC said...

Oh my...what wonderful news. Congrats to Rhonda & Steve. I'm so excited for your "ever growing" family. I'm sure Jacob is "shaking his cute little booty" and jumping for joy over this great news. Keep us posted on the wedding plans; I'm sure you'll have lots of pictures. Little Miss Allie is still "Princess" among all the boys.
Thanks for sharing your Unexpected Blessing. Praise the Lord!!

JanetPG said...

What a lovely story! Babies are always a blessing!

Heather - you so generously share your love and your life on your sites. I have never met you (found you through the Triplet Connection in the fall of 2004), and following along with your family, I "know" who Rhonda and Steve are, and I feel the happiness. Congratulations to all!
Love and prayers to all the Duckworth extended family.

Lakeville Vertical said...

I am so excited for Rhonda and Steve. So fun for you to have such a great sis-in-law and new cousins for the boys and a new BABY! Congrats to you all and may you be blessed always. Have a great weekend.

Tonya said...

What an AMAZING love story! I'm SO HAPPY for all of you! How COOL is it that you already KNOW and love your future "sister-in-law?" GOD IS GOOD!

I'm happy to hear they're going to have a little one soon. Those babies are just the most PRECIOUS GIFT GOD gives us (just after SALVATION, of course). There's nothing like them for sure! We'll have to throw them an "online" wedding/baby shower!

Natalie said...

CONGRATS Heather ~ I'm so happy for Rhonda and Steve and the rest of your family. It is apparent Rhonda has so much love to give and Steve is a lucky guy. And another boy? You guys have your own baseball team now! :)

What a blessing you are to her ~ and to all of us!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Natalie Willis said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your nephew!! :-) Sounds to me like two angels were bringing Rhonda and Steve together! Congratulations to all!
Love,
Natalie Willis
www.caringbridge.org/visit/mandywillis

Zhohn said...

Oh how exciting! I have visited Rhonda's site (CB) often. I was heartbroken for her when she lost her husband. I know you two are close, and I've seen many pictures of all of the kids together.
This is such a sweet story. Many blessings to Rhonda, Steve and the rest of the family.
Can't wait to "meet" the new baby boy.

Anonymous said...

"Friends are the family you choose to have"...this could never be more true than in your family right now. Best wishes to all as you begin this new chapter!

Audra said...

Wow, isn't it Amazing how God works? I am truly happy for your expanding family! I have followed Rhonda through Jacob's site and I'm thrilled that she has found this happiness in her life, and it couldn't be with a Sweeter family. How neat, you two will be sisters! :)
Have a great day!
Love,
Audra

Anonymous said...

I had no idea this update was even here!!! CONGRATULATIONS to the ENTIRE extended family!! What awesome news. And thank you so much for letting all of us share in your blessings.
I also LOVED the siblings post. I remember those pictures well... They always make me laugh and cry. Esp. the one with the boys laughing in black and white, I just love that picture!
Can't wait for the next update!!!
Love, Kyle

Anonymous said...

Gee ! You never know what a day is going to bring. Great news, and Allie will not be dethroned - that may be a good thing ! Your mom must be getting dizzy. Isn't Christmas going to be wonderful ?!

I loved the sibling photos, as you say, bittersweet, but the epitome of what "siblingship" should be all about, loving at all times, and those boys did and do. They are now teaching Allie what it means to have brothers and she and they, are so very fortunate.

Have a happy, happy weekend. . .

Much love,
Sandy D
Atlanta
adiercks@aol.com

Unknown said...

That is the most wonderful happy story ever!! It couldn't have been scripted more beautifully!! It doesn't matter the order!!!!! What matters is the miracle of love and life! What a gift for Rhonda's boys, too, a surrogate dad to be there physically, while their dad watches from heaven. Heaven's angels are smiling at this outcome!! After all, it is the choices we make. What joy you have brought to my heart this morning, reading this glorious news. I have always been able to count on you, Heather, to bring me up when I am feeling burdened. :) Even if you didn't do anything but report the news. You really are so blessed!!

Jodee said...

Wow! What a great story! I am so very excited for your entire family.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Steve & Rhonda!! I had a feeling there was some extra special connection Rhonda & the boys had with your family.. How wonderful & I can't wait to hear all about your new nephew & their big day!

eph2810 said...

Wow - how sweet that your brother and Rhonda hit it off like that. Well, sometimes things don't happen in the order they should be, but what a true blessings for your brother and your friend.

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us this past week. And I am thrilled that you found the time to join us :)

Be blessed today and always.