Thursday, July 3, 2008

Not the Best Timing!

Hello friends,

We thought we would try to get a good picture of the kids while we were at the beach. I was attempting one of those perfect beach pics . . . you know - where the kids are smiling just perfectly with a beautiful blue ocean and sunset in the background. Hmmm . . . didn't quite happen! :)

For those of you who do not live in Florida - I have to tell you that the summer is our worst season! We do not live in Florida for the summers . . . they are too hot, too humid and it rains every afternoon - terrible thunderstorms. No, we live in Florida for the fall, winter and spring - and if you are planning a vacation that is the best time of year to come!

So, being Floridians, we should have known that summer is not the best time of year for beach pictures. But we tried anyways. We got to the beach about 7pm and this is what the sky looked like when we got there . . .


Yes, a terrible storm was a brewing!
Not exactly the best time for pictures . . .

But since we were there - and it hadn't started to rain yet - we decided to at least try to get a picture. But the lighting wasn't great as you can see below!
And the storm started moving in a little closer . . .
We did get a couple of decent pictures - but it was getting dark fast making the background so gray and dreary!




I did get a great picture of Kyle. I just love this one. He is growing up so fast - yet when I look at his sweet, handsome face I still see my little boy - and always will! :)


And I love this one of Allie - even though she isn't smiling. She just has a beautiful little face and I love her curls . . . so feminine.
The wind-blown look! :)



So, we decided to try again the next morning to get a brighter picture. The background is much prettier . . . But we soon realized it was now a little too bright and all we got was a bunch of squinting . . .



So we let the boys go hunt for crabs while we tried to get a few of Allie.


But she was more interested in looking for crabs with her brothers!

So, I think we have learned our lesson - and we will try beach pictures again in the fall - when it is cooler and drier! :)
I hope to do a quick update on Baby Joey later today - I'm just waiting on new pictures! He is too cute and is doing so well. I can't wait to hold him! Thanks so much for sharing our joy and praying for this little one.
In my last post, there were 2 prayer requests in the comments. Please join me in praying for Andrew - who just had a double lung transplant for CF. And please pray for "K" who has been struggling with seizures. Let's lift these amazing kids up together!
Ending with a scripture . . .
"Take a good look at God's wonders - they'll take your breath away."
Psalm 66:5
The Message

Breathless,

14 comments:

Leah said...

Your boys are sooo handsome! I love the one where Devin is winking because the son is so bright.
We went to Florida several summers ago and I remember the wild afternoon storms!

Allison said...

I just love it when you give us blog updates so close together it makes coming to your blog daily worth it - LOL. Yes I am a wierd one that comes daily. Yes those storms can blow it fast and blow out even faster. Glad you still got some great shots.

Reba said...

I still love the pictures...it is SO hard to get that "perfect" shot. We had a professional come when we down on the coast last week...I am eager to see the pictures and hope I won't be too disappointed because I know how difficult it is with four kids! Anyway, I do love the picture where the boys are kneeling and Allie is standing among them...it is a beautiful picture. The boys are so handsome...sometimes I just imagine Jacob smiling down from heaven watching his family together.
Reba

valerie said...

Hi Heather. I just love the beach!
I'd love to be there right now...even in a thunderstorm. :)
Beautiful pictures!
My husband and I went to West Palm Beach a couple of years ago in the summer. We got a really good deal with flight & hotel combo. It did rain almost every afternoon, but didn't seem to last long.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I always enjoy seeing the kids.
God bless,
Valerie

Carmen said...

Heather I love all the pictures. Allie looks beautiful with wind blown hair. It's so hard to get a perfect picture, so most of them are perfectly imperfect. I am going to try to do 4th of July pictures of Alyssa and Gracie this evening. i just hope for the best.
Have a Great Weekend,
Carmen

Amanda said...

I still think they came out beautiful! My favorite is the one with the boys squating with Allie. Adorable children of course do nothing but add to your pictures!

elizabeth engelhardt creations said...

I don't know Heather, I think some of those pictures from your first night there were pretty good. I like how the children are the focus and the background isn't...just me, but I completely understand not getting that 'perfect' picture.

I hope we can get some good family pics this holiday weekend.
Blessings

Our Family of 5 said...

Amazing pictures! Really if you look at the sky in the pictures, it's so neat! Sorry you didn't get the picture you wanted, but boy they sure are cute!

Lanny said...

I noticed yesterday that you changed the picture of Kyle on the sidebar to the one at the beach. When I noticed it, I too noticed how much he is growing up.

You have such an amazingly beautiful family. It's immediately obvious on the outside, and after seconds on your sites (I've been following since Jacob's Caringbridge site) it's rather obvious that you all are just as beautiful on the inside.

Thanks for giving me a glimpse into your family, and thanks for the uplifting scriptures that you always end with. :) I've found them quite helpful through the ups and downs of our second adoption journey.

Deborah said...

I clicked on your blog because of FROG and God blessed me because of it. You have a beautiful family and I am so sorry that you have had such lose. Thank you for sharing your family and what God has done and continues to do in your life. My prayers are with you.

I agree with you about the Florida summers. We lived in Pensacola and I hated the summers.

Pam said...

Your family is beautiful... even with dark clouds overhead! And yeah... getting a good shot can be a killer. Even with just one kid and a cat! LOL

Stephanie said...

Our summers do stink here. As a photographer, I know how frustrating it is when the weather and the sun won't cooperate! You did get some really nice shots though. Your family is so precious. They make even the worst photos shine! :-)
I read from top to bottom tonight so Congratulations on Allie's re-adoption also! Isn't it an awesome feeling to know that our girls are our's FOREVER!? Ashley's adoption day was a very special day. It amazes me to know that God knew that these girls would be a part of our lives before we ever knew that we wanted to adopt them. Just awesome stuff!
I am also so happy to hear that Joey is doing well. We've been praying for him. I pray that he is able to go home with his Daddy, Mommy and brothers soon. Congratulations to them.. again!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the prayer request Heather! I really appreciate it!

Love,
Jennifer

Bobbi said...

That is a great pic of Brandon. He is really handsome.

HUH!! How funny about the lighting, timing, etc. Happens to us all the time. I still thought they were great. But, I know what it's like to get family pics. It is a workout!!!

Allie's dress is beautiful.

I have heard Florida is not the place to be this time of year!!