Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Holding Hands



It is hard to believe my boys are 8 and 10 now. They have grown so quickly the past couple of years and are now nearly as big as I am. But that doesn't stop them from occasionally slipping their hand in mine while we are walking through a theme park or down the mall. It is a sweet and simple gesture - a way for them to gently let me know that they care . . . a way for them to show their love. I treasure the feel of their hand in mine and it touches my heart with such a bittersweet feeling as I am painfully aware that these precious moments will soon be over. It won't be long before they hit that age when all of a sudden they are too old & too cool to hold Mom's hand. And I know that many, many years one day down the road, my hand will be replaced with the hand of a girlfriend or wife. So, in the meantime, I savor every moment when their hand lies in mine - holding it tightly, hanging onto the sweet innocense of their childhood. :)

I can't help but to think about Jacob each time I'm holding hands with the boys. It always brings back memories of the last times I held Jacob's sweet hand. His hand was so small and frail compared to the hands of his brothers' now. Yet, I could always feel his strength and I would cling to his hand with a desperate hope and such deep love. And now, how I miss the feel of his hand in mine. And each time the boys hold tight to my hand - I am painfully aware that Jacob is missing - and his absence hurts more than words could ever express. I can't wait to hold his hand again . . .

This made me realize how often I cling to God's hands during the hard times. Yes, I hold tight to His hand with a desperate hope and deep love - just as I did with Jacob's. But I need to make sure I reach for His hand everyday. I need to feel His strength and show my love for Him by holding tight to His hand not just during hard times - but every single morning. God never lets go of us and His hand is there . . . waiting to hold ours as we journey through life - the good days and the bad. God savors those moments when we reach for Him - just as I savor those moments when the boys reach for me. Thank goodness, I'll never be too old to hold God's hand. :)

Ending with a scripture . . .

"Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand."
Psalm 37:24

Holding His hand,


*Please read the post below & Vote For Chad!
Feel free to post the info on your blog or pass it on through an e-mail! :) Voting ends Sept. 23rd!
Many thanks!

15 comments:

Bobbi said...

Heather, what a moving post. I am with you on the hand holding. Cassie, who is growing up so fast reached out for my hand the other day. My heart did a little pitter-patter. My baby, how I love holding that hand.

Off to vote for Chad!

Kelly said...

I just LOVE your posts! This one brought tears to my eyes. You may not feel it physically, but I believe that Jacob reaches for and holds your hand every day...he is always there w/ his Momma!! So, whenever you feel his presence, see a cardinal or get any sign from your sweet baby, know that he's right there w/ you holding your hand along the way.

As always, thanks for the reminder about our loving God....always w/ us, holding us tight!

Love and FROG,
Kelly May

Anonymous said...

There is an upside to children growing up...Lord willing you get to hold the hands of your grandchildren...oh it's amazing!
Know that I'm continuing to pray in Seattle!
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Prayer Bears

Stephanie said...

Tears... happy and sad. I know that you've heard the song, "You Never Let Go" by Matt Redman. Your post made me think of that song. I love it!

Pam said...

I love your post! I too remember holding my little one's hand... so chubby and soft.. and rubbing it knowing it wouldn't be long til he would slip away from us. I'll never forget his soft little squishy hands. Yes, so thankful I'll never get too old to hold my Heavenly Father's hands too.

bloggin with Lin said...

Very beautifully put Heather. You made me all misty on that one. :0) God's hand, yes it is always there. Love, Lin N Crew~*

Lakeville Vertical said...

What a beautiful post. I love my little man that still holds my hand so much that it brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it. You have such a wonderful way with words and I'm left with something new to ponder everytime I am here. Thanks for sharing your heart. :)

Jennifer said...

Sometimes when I am holding one of my kids' hands, I will rub their little left hand ring finger and think to myself "Some day, someone will slip a ring on this finger." Then I say a little prayer that when that day comes, it will be the right person slipping that ring on and until that day arrives, they will still want to hold MY hand!

Tracy said...

Heather-
This post touched my heart, it is beautiful and so very true-they grow up so quickly and don't need us to hold their hands for so many things but I look for every opportunity even now with them at 11, 15 and 19. I have dealt with the emotions that come along with seeing my oldest go to college and now being engaged-it is hard to let go of their hands and being the biggest part of theirs lives as they grow, but I know I will always have a special piece of their heart.I tear up thinking about it.
I know Jacob is always close by-holding onto a piece of your heart.
God Bless and have a great weekend!
Tracy

Doreen said...

Heather ~ you write so eloquently but very honestly. This was a beautiful post and one that speaks volumes in the simply act of holding hands. Thank you so much for sharing your family, your thoughts and your beautiful words.

Melissa said...

There is always such a positive message on your site and I love to come and read them every time one is posted. Today I needed the message as I have been struggling with holding god's hand. THANK YOU for sharing.
HUGS

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the prayers. I am so grateful! I know things could be so much worse and that there are people out there with much bigger problems than us. We are so blessed to only be without power and to have family that will take us in.

Carmen said...

Heather I think it is so sweet when your child puts their hand in yours. I love their little hands, it is something you miss when they get older, but before you know it you will have grandchildren. Jacob will be with you always holding your hand, you will always feel him when you need it most. Have a great weekend....
Carmen

Laurie said...

(((hug))) yes I can see Jesus holding Jacob's hand until you are there to do the job again. ((hug)) Thanks for sharing your sweet sweet heart.

You signed my blog yesterday adn how touched and HONORED I was that you did :)

Mrs. Rems said...

What a great post! There is nothing better than having that little hand in yours...the feeling of love, trust and hope in one small hand. AMAZING!

I just love reading your posts. :)