Hello friends,
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Our Christmas vacation was fantastic in every way. :) We spent Christmas here in Florida with my family and then traveled to Indiana and spent New Year's with Donnie's family.
Needless to say - it has been hard going back to reality this week - school & work & laundry - UGH! We are still recovering from the Christmas chaos . . . packing up the Christmas decorations, putting away the new toys, catching up on sleep, going through the items from Jacob's Stocking & washing all of our clothes from a week-long vacation. On top of all that - Donnie & Allie are both sick with a yucky sinus infection and went to the doctor today. Hopefully those antibiotics will kick in soon so they will feel better.
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Our Christmas vacation was fantastic in every way. :) We spent Christmas here in Florida with my family and then traveled to Indiana and spent New Year's with Donnie's family.
Needless to say - it has been hard going back to reality this week - school & work & laundry - UGH! We are still recovering from the Christmas chaos . . . packing up the Christmas decorations, putting away the new toys, catching up on sleep, going through the items from Jacob's Stocking & washing all of our clothes from a week-long vacation. On top of all that - Donnie & Allie are both sick with a yucky sinus infection and went to the doctor today. Hopefully those antibiotics will kick in soon so they will feel better.
I have over 300 pictures from Christmas to download . . . so hopefully I will be able to share those soon. Maybe by Valentine's Day. ;)
But until I get all caught up and have time to share pictures and actually write a post . . . I have 2 questions for you all. Hopefully someone out there can help me!
First, everyone I know has been talking about FACEBOOK. I've been encouraged to join - but warned that it is addictive. And I've read about it often on different blogs. But can I be honest with you? I don't really even know what it is! So can someone please explain what FACEBOOK is?? What are the benefits of joining? Is it like another blog? Why do you like it? Do you worry about privacy? What do you do once you join?? I am so behind on the times . . . so please fill me in. :)
Also, many of you have suggested using Flikr for pictures on the blog. I agree - the pictures are bigger and seem clearer. I actually created an account a couple of months ago - but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post the pictures from my account to my blog. Can anyone help me??? It's driving me crazy! :P
Thanks so much! And I promise an update soon - with way too many pictures. :)
I wish you all a happy & healthy New Year filled with God's love and blessings.
Ending with a scripture . . .
“Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders."
Deuteronomy 33:12
Blessings to all for a wonderful 2009,

But until I get all caught up and have time to share pictures and actually write a post . . . I have 2 questions for you all. Hopefully someone out there can help me!
First, everyone I know has been talking about FACEBOOK. I've been encouraged to join - but warned that it is addictive. And I've read about it often on different blogs. But can I be honest with you? I don't really even know what it is! So can someone please explain what FACEBOOK is?? What are the benefits of joining? Is it like another blog? Why do you like it? Do you worry about privacy? What do you do once you join?? I am so behind on the times . . . so please fill me in. :)
Also, many of you have suggested using Flikr for pictures on the blog. I agree - the pictures are bigger and seem clearer. I actually created an account a couple of months ago - but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post the pictures from my account to my blog. Can anyone help me??? It's driving me crazy! :P
Thanks so much! And I promise an update soon - with way too many pictures. :)
I wish you all a happy & healthy New Year filled with God's love and blessings.
Ending with a scripture . . .
“Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders."
Deuteronomy 33:12
Blessings to all for a wonderful 2009,




39 comments:
Facebook is an awesome way to keep up with people without having to email them. If you're familiar with MySpace, it's way better than that! Much Easier. Your Facebook page can be set to private and only your 'friends' that you approve can see your picture and information.
Flickr is awesome, too! You'll love it once you figure it all out. To post a picture, find the photo on Flickr. Click 'all sizes' and select 'medium'. At the bottom you'll see a couple of different codes. Either one should work. That's how I do it and I have a blogspot blog. Give it a try!
Happy New Year!
Facebook is a social networking website. You set up your own profile (and decide what information you want to add or not) and control your own privacy settings (you can make it as private or as public as you want...for example, the only people who can see my information are the friends I allow - no one else).
I love it because it allows me to stay in touch with many people (from childhood friends to relatives to coworkers) in one convenient location. I can share photos with them, leave them messages, or chat in real time.
Hope this helps!
Oh Facebook! I recently joined myself. It's a social networking site, sort of a mature, adult version of Myspace. I've been catching up on old high school pals, it's kind of an unofficial class reunion! It can be addictive. You have privacy settings that determine whether anyone can see your profile, or just people you choose as friends. You can post photos, and write a small blurb about yourself if you like. I think it was originally designed as a tool for college students to keep in touch. You can write messages back and forth, and post a short update periodically that lets everyone know what you're up to. It's been really neat catching up with everyone on it, and it really is a lot of fun and very easy.
I am so Excited to Read another post from you ....I dont get to comment often,but I do try every chance I get. just wanted you to know that I still check in daily...The kids are Really growing so fast and are just adorable Heather....I am praying for Donnie and Allie that they fill much better soon..Thanks again for Sharing !!!...PS...I would like to Know about Facebook as well..
God bless you and Your sweet Family.
Tamara
Welcome back Heather!
Hmmmm, Tonya got me to get Facebook. I didn't really use it for a long time, (like a year or so), now I'm starting to.
It's neat connecting with old friends and unlike the blog, you can just post a "thought".
You can also download PICTURES!! So many people that don't have time to read blogs will just go to Facebook and check things out.
You can even chat with your friends when they are online. Kinda cool.
I still like my blog better, but I'm older, ya know. Teaching me new tricks it's HARD.
I'm still learning HOW to use it, so I'll be interested in reading all your comments!!
Have a blessed day♥
If you get one, I'll be sending a request to be "your friend"!!
Once you figure out flikr, let me know. I haven't even gone there yet.
Facebook, Hmmmm can I explain it? I do it, and enjoy it a lot. I have connected with people I went to school with. At first I was like, eh, but have enjoyed this more than I thought it would. I have also met a lot more Guat-moms, which I really like. You can share pics a bit easier, though I am not great at putting them on there. It is quick and easy to comment on. Mostly, it is a one liner about what you are doing, thinking, etc. I think of it as a way to relax. You can set your settings so that only friends can view your profile, and you have to add each friend. So, you control who sees it. You can also set the privacy settings for all of the other components as well. I like that I have control over who sees it, and who I let in as friends. I get many "invitations" to different causes, or little gift like things. Generally, I ignore them. I simply don't have time to do this part. My oldest daughter is also on mine constantly playing all kinds of different games. I don't find it all that addicting!!
OK, this is super long--sorry. Glad you all had a great holiday, and hope Donnie and Allie feel better soon. I look forward to pictures.
Yes, facebook is addicting but fun! You can log on whenever you want so that you don't get too hooked! There is a bit of built in security in that you have to "accept" friends. Only those you have accepted can view your FB (and see your photos etc...) You can also put your blogpot link on your page so that your friends can link on to it.
I like it and it's been a great way to catch up with old friends and new ones too!
As for Flikr... I have not ventured into that yet... I need not another electronic dependency!
Looking forward to seeing your Christmas photos.
Happy 2009!
Melinda Marie Hughie
Hi! I cannot help with Flikr, but I do know Facebook somewhat. :) It is a like being at a social gathering. You can post pictures, post as much or as little info as you want, and you can post updates anytime you want. There is a "status update" which would say, "Heather is..." and you can fill that in with whatever you want, like "Heather is new to Facebook!" or "Heather is listening to Allie giggling in the kitchen." Then you can be friends with whoever you choose to be. So it is somewhat private in that you choose who you are friends with. Those people can see your information. Otherwise, they cannot (most of the time). One thing I enjoy is when I log in each evening, I can see at a glance what friends' status updates are and I can comment on them with a line or two...no pressuer to write out a whole e-mail. I have also reconnected with friends from junior high...friends I probably wouldn't "talk" to otherwise due to distance and time. There are lot of extra things you can do on Facebook, but I am not as familiar with those. I have one game I play with my sister daily but that is about it. For me, since I am either at school with kindergarteners or at home with four kids, Facebook is my chance to just "chat" in a casual setting with friends and get some adult conversation (my hubby and I actually message each other on occasion). It is not as involved as e-mail and can be just a quick "check". It isn't like a blog...I still do that too. But if I look back over my status updates, I can certainly see what was going on at the time. Hope that helps. :)
Hi Heather!
I can't help much with the Facebook question - I have an account but I don't keep up with it very often.
Now Flickr - I LOVE Flickr. To put a picture on your blog do this:
1. Sign into your account.
2. Upload your picture
3. Once the picture has been uploaded, click on it.
4. Above the picture, you'll see a series of options. Click on "All sizes".
5. Click on the size you want to put on your blog. (Be careful the picture is not wider than your blog template or you'll "break" your template, i.e. your sidebar will drop down to the bottom of the page. Most templates can handle up to 500 pixels wide).
6. Scroll down, copy and paste the HTML code into your blog entry.
That's it!
You can also set up your flickr account so that when you click on "Blog This" (another option above the picture) it automatically makes a new post, with that picture, on your blog. It's pretty cool, but might require a bit more knowledge. You might wait to try this option until you get more familiar with Flickr.
Also keep in mind, that a free account on Flickr will only house 200 photos. When you upload the 201 photo, the very first photo you uploaded will be dropped. It costs $25.00 for unlimited space for 12 months.
I hope this helps!
Write From Karen
Hi Heather,
I use flickr all the time. The pictures will come out much more clear. You can also load your pictures on the sidebar and your header that you make so it is clear.
Once you load the picture in flickr go to the picture and double click on it, at the top it will say picture size (I use medium), then at the bottom of that picture it will give you an html code. You just copy that code and paste it on your blog you will notice on your blog that there are two tabs - compose and html, you just want to paste them in html section.
If it would be easier for me to help you by email and give your examples let me know.
I can email you my info, again.
JKPeterson AZ
Facebook is a social network. It is fun and very addictive but only in a good way! It offers safety features & seetings so I feel safe! For instance, in settings I chose that all friends have to be 'invited' to see my site. For instance if you join facebook and you want to be my friend then you'll type in my name and it will say "add as friend". Then I get a message with your request. I can accept or deny access. Only when I accept you as a friend can we see each others sites. Also, when uploading photos, you can limit who can access your photos. It's really been a great "cyber reunion" for me! Lots of friends from my graduating class are on it. Friends I haven't seen or heard from in over 20 years are right there and I can just enjoy their updates and family photos. A friend that I have not seen or spoken to since I was 11 years old found me on facebook! It was a great reunion! I really enjoy seeing all the pictures. The status lines are fun too as many get sarcastic and have a lot of fun with their 'status'. A status line appears at the top of your page and it begins with "Heather is....and you can fill in anything you want...it's really a lot of fun and reunited me with many friends. I really enjoy it! With the 'invite the friend' feature I don't feel like I am just 'out there' for the world to see! There is no requirement for you to update. I have friends that haven't updated their site in quite a while so there is no bother if you aren't really that interested! JOIN IT! TRY IT! I'll be 'your friend' if you want to give it a whirl!
MARISSA HILL BRIGGS
Happy New Year! I can't help on Flickr, but as a major Facebook aficionado, I can tell you that the purpose for joining is to catch up with friends, often long-lost ones. You can get in touch with people and I've rekindled a few friendships.
Once you join, it's pretty much all about stalking. (Not in a scary way.) I know who from my college sorority and high school is engaged, who is married (and I've seen their wedding pics), who is pregnant, who lives where, who has what job, etc. I'm not selling it very well, but I find it majorly entertaining.
On privacy, just be sure you set your privacy settings to be very strict, ie. only your Facebook friends can see your profile, pics, etc. And even for people who are your friends, you can limit how much they can see.
It's hard to explain but you should just do it. If you don't like it after a month or so, it's easy to take your profile down and never touch it again. Best of luck!
Happy New Year! Allie is getting so big!! The new picture of her on your sidebar is adorable.
I'm on Facebook at the suggestion of friends, but I still haven't had time to really figure it out. I'm sure it's not nearly as complicated as I'm making it. If you sign up, you can search for me by name. No advice on Flikr. Something new for blogging pictures would be great though.
We loved the Christmas card you sent! I never got a good picture of the boys and therefore didn't send any out this year. Sorry. Maybe next Christmas.
The best way to check out facebook is to look at a friend's facebook. Have them show you everything - wall, info, privacy settings, how to make photo albums with comments and tags, newsfeed, status updates, notes.
You can share a lot more info with your blogs, I think. But if you had facebook you could easily see the facebooks of other people. It's a great way to keep in touch with relatives, college friends, high school friends; and to see their news and photos etc.
It does take time - as much or as little time as you want. Some people are on it every day, many times a day. Some are on it once a month, it that.
I like it a lot. Maybe you would too.
Kirsten
I Love Facebook. It is a great tool to connect with long lost friends. I have found friends that I have known from Elementary School. There are fun little applications, like games and birthday stuff you can do. No one can see your profile until they are your "friend". It is very easy to set up an account, but is VERY addicting.
Heather, Facebook is wonderful. It's really not a blog kind of site...more a great way to keep in touch wih others. I too am too old for this, but have much younger sisters who keep me hopping! Since they talked me into it, I have caught up with many, many long lost friends. It's a great way to get in touch, and keep in touch, with old friends. It's nice to be able to see what people are up to, see pictures of families, and just say hi. It is addicting, and I stay home with my children. Actually, I stay home while my children are in school! :) Admittedly, I have spent entirely too much time on facebook, but it's so fun.
As far as privacy, I wouldn't be at all concerned about it. It's much more private than your blog, because you can control who sees your page. Of course, if you don't want it to be private, it doesn't have to be.
I have followed your family for many years, and pray for you often! I LOVE Allies picture...the black & white one. I think it's my ALL-TIME favorite. Good luck with facebook!
Love, Heather
I'm on Facebook now too... and yes, it can be addicting! It is an online community where people keep in touch. It's really not a blog... you post a little snippet or 2 of what you are doing or what is going on. You can put up pictures, links, videos, etc. I truly haven't explored all of the functions of it so someone else may have a better description of it. I have actually connected with 2 old friends on it, which has been a blessing - one from elementary school days and another from junior high school days. I have a blog and a myspace too, so it can be a bit overwhelming but I"m not doing much on my blog as I don't have any adoption news to share at this point in time.
I always love your posts and the scripture you include, thanks!!
Everyone raved to me about Facebook too, so I joined. Its ok...not my favorite thing though. The thing I do NOT like is you get a gazillion requests for things like hugs, drinks, save the rainforest,join this and that and the other, its hard to keep up with it all, and quite frankly I think a majority of it is silly and a waste of time. It is nice to write on friends "walls" and see their status change through out the day...But thats about it for me. If you end up joining though...add me ;)
Facebook is wonderful! I have connected with new and old friends alike, and during the holiday break, I was able to keep in touch with people that I wouldn't have otherwise. The most addictive time is in the beginning, when you're searching for and connecting with friends. Once you've built your database, it can be a fairly low maintenance thing. Anytime someone updates your facebook, it comes into your email, so you know. Uploading pics is SO much faster there than anywhere else. It has literally exploded over the past few weeks (I've been on since last spring but have added a TON of friends lately who just joined). I would love to have you as a Facebook friend!
You're so funny! Ok Facebook is a website where you get your own little page with your photo and you can put information about yourself. Then you add "friends"...similar to this blog where you can link up with other blogs, you link up with people you know. You'll be surprised who you can find on there, old school friends, people you lost touch with. You can then do funny things like sending your friends little presents. People can also comment on your page like they do here, and you can write exactly what you are doing eg. "Heather is wasting time blogging while she should be cleaning" and everyone will see it and they might write funny responses. It can be quite addictive if you let it, it just depends how much you use it!!
Hey!
i'm glad ya'll had a good holiday season.
I use facebook all the time and yes it can be addictive. Basically waht you do is make a profie with your interests activities, etc and you can add pictures. You can become freinds with people and you can write messages back and forth on each others walls. I think it is farely safe only people that you are freinds with can see your profile. You can add pictures also. I do believe there is an option to add a blog or you can link this blog to your profile. well i guess that's about all the basic facebook information i can think of right now.
Have a great day!
katie dill
I love FB. It's a great way to stay connected to people that you may not see often. But I also "talk" to my neighbor next door on FB! I have relatives in another country so they get to see pics and just our daily goings on. I think it's more interactive than a blog because you can IM, chat, respond back and forth, post news items, etc. Lots of fun! You should try it. You can control your privacy settings so that only your "friends" can see your stuff.
Hi Heather: I like facebook and it is a quick way to keep up with my kids and with friends. You can't or don't usually have long in depth conversations, but it is good for quick and funny correspondence. I will also use it to keep touch with family and friends back home once I move to Kazakhstan.
I love reading your blog and keeping up with you and your family so don't stop that.
His mercies, grace and peace to you and your family
Vicki Charbonneau
http://kazakhvictoria.blogspot.com
Can't wait to see all of your pictures!!! Happy New Year!
Hi Heather,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! Lovely to read your post and so glad to hear you've had a wonderful time with your family.
Looking forward to seeing all your pics.
I am on Facebook and most of my friends seem to be on it too. I know lots of people have already told you about it but I would recommend signing up. Its a great way to keep up with friends and you can set your privacy levels to suit how much you want people who aren't your confirmed friends to see about you, including photos you post on there.
Take care,
Anna
I must say I agree with everyone else about facebook! It is great! I am totally addicted. I have found many old school friends that I otherwise might not have found. You should definalty go for it.
I hope you and Allie are feeling better soon! I cant wait to see your Christmas pictures.
I think everybody covered the Facebook qualities pretty well already. I have one and I love it. I also had concerns about security and privacy but once you sign up and go to settings, you can take care of it all there. If you join a 'network' on facebook (for example, say you went to a certain high school, there is probably a network on facebook of all the people that went to that high school), a lot of times you have to go back and change your privacy settings again, otherwise everybody on that network can see your facebook page. Easy fix, but good to know. You can also do a search on facebook just by typing someone's name and if they have a facebook page, it pops up.
If you choose, it could also be a fun way for you to get to know all the people that look at your blog if you added a link here and decided to add them as your facebook "friends".
Assuming there are tons of answers in here about Facebook. I just signed up a couple of days ago after being asked by lots of friends and am having a great time. You have the option of approving who you let see your page so there is security. Hope you join! You can always try it and if you don't like it you can delete your account.
Continuing to pray in Seattle!
Psalms 27:4-5 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
Prayer Bears
My email address
I see everyone else has pretty much covered Facebook. I love it. It is addicting though.............
Heather,
I don't have Facebook, but I do have Myspace. I love it and it's additive, I spend so much time looking at all my family and friends pictures. I have talked to family I haven't seen in years. I put all my pictures on there for my family, so they can just save the ones they want to their computer. My page is private, I just let my friends and family see my pictures. You can keep them from seeing pictures if you want, you can hide your friends and comments. People only see what you want them to see. I have my blog just for me ,a diary. I just like being able to write what I want without worrying about hurting somebody's feelings. So my blog is not something I share with my friends and family on myspace. I've read the first 3 books in the Twilight series, I loved them. I read the first three in 6 days, I've been reading the last one for a week. It hasn't held my attention like the first 3 did. I hope Allie and Donnie are feeling better... Have a good week, I can't wait to see your pictures from Christmas and New Years...
Heather,
so glad to read that your holidays were wonderful...can't wait to see All the pictures that go along with it, I Love seeing pics of your precious kiddos.
Facebook is a great meeting place for people to keep in touch on a more "face to face" basis. I use it more than email now. It is not like a blog, not that much time consuming or detailed, just a place to add a thought. I hope you join, I'll add you as my friend :)
Yes, getting back to "normal" after the excitement of the holidays is kind of a downer for me, but also welcomed I guess, at least we have time to grow accustomed to it again :) I'm like you, I Love having my family at home with me!
Can't wait for the photo update.
Much Love,
Audra
I recently joined Facebook because my daughters encouraged it (and it allows me to see all their pictures without begging for copies). It can be a wonderful way to stay in touch in a daily basis with friends and, of course, your conversations won't be seen by anyone that you don't want to. For you, I think your blog is a better way for you to publish your pictures and let people know in a more general way, how your family is. Then, of course, there is the telephone for staying in touch. (What an antiquated way to stay in touch, lol)!!!
Hi Heather, ok facebook, its ok, I'm not that impressed, I think your blog here is great! Now as far as pictures go, I would like to recommend picasa at google, you won't be disappointed, download the Picasa 3, its the newest version, and then watch all your photos upload onto the site in about 10 sec. You can crop, send, make colleges, its very user friendly! Hugs from Fort Worth!
Hi Heather, ok facebook, its ok, I'm not that impressed, I think your blog here is great! Now as far as pictures go, I would like to recommend picasa at google, you won't be disappointed, download the Picasa 3, its the newest version, and then watch all your photos upload onto the site in about 10 sec. You can crop, send, make colleges, its very user friendly! Hugs from Fort Worth!
I have to agree with Renee, all the requests for hugs, gifts, flowers, etc is annoying!!
Having said that, I do enjoying seeing my friends pictures and status up dates.
One word of caution....be very careful of what you say on there. I made (what I thought) was an innocent comment on my page only to have someone who did not know the whole story take it the wrong way and basically start a family feud over it.
Okay, as a college kid I can totally tell you about FB.
Its not really another blog site. You CAN write "notes" but its mostly about the "wall" where you can leave your friends comments. Those are public to everyone you're friends with, but there also is a private message feature. I don't worry about privacy really because you can set it so that only your friends can see everything you post, so people can't search for you within facebook or google...
There are also fun "applications" they are always adding. Pretty much anything you can think of. You can post events (fundraisers) so that all of your friends are aware of the details of them too. Groups are nice to find people with similar interests.
I like it because I have family and friends that I don't live near. It is really convenient for that. We all have crazy busy lives so its much nicer than playing phone tag!
I have a MySpace too...they are BOTH addicting. I suppose there are worse things! :)
Facebook, for me, is only addictive at first. You find all of your old friends (mostly from high school, in my experience), look at their kid's pictures, send a few messages and then the thrill is over ... for me. I hardly get on there any more.
I have noticed that the ones who seem to be on there all the time are those who were really popular in high school and they love downloading old pictures, talking about old times, planning get-togethers, etc.
Anyway, that's my take. As with anything, you can do too much, but I'm sure you can do it without becoming addicted.
i am ADDICTED to facebook!!
Its so easy to post a note that everyone can see instead of calling bunches of people! You can make it private or public!
Its awesome!!
Kristina
Ohio
I love Facebook! I've reconnected with almost all of my highschool graduating class, just in time for our 20th reunion this year! It can be very addicitng but only if you let it ;)
--Lani Parnell
Post a Comment