It has been busy here at our house . . . and unfortunately we have had 2 medical scares with Allie and Brandon this week. And needless to say - after everything we went through with Jacob - I tend to worry more than I used to about things!
A spot was found on Allie's back and we had to take her to have an MRI done to make sure nothing was wrong with her spine. So my poor baby had to be sedated and scanned . . . and she has a bruised little hand with 2 pokes because of it. PRAISE GOD - the results were normal - and it appears to be nothing more than a little dimple in her skin! But the past couple of days sure weren't fun - waiting for those results. And going through all of this brought back so many memories of Jacob.
And then Brandon had this spot pop up on his neck. We thought it was an infected mosquito bite - but it kept getting bigger and then started bleeding. My heart sank when I made his doctor's appt. because I knew it didn't look right! Thankfully, though, it is only a granuloma - which is BENIGN - but does have to be removed. So Brandon has an appointment on Friday to have that done. It should be a simple procedure - but Brandon is nervous and scared - so please pray for him that day.
It is terrible how the thought of cancer fills my heart with FEAR so quickly. Before Jacob was diagnosed - the thought of one of my children having cancer never even entered my mind. But unfortunately now - it is the first thing that pops in my mind with every little bump, bruise and fever. I try hard to not let the fear of this disease consume me - but as a mother I can't help to worry about my children.
But whenever I feel FEAR creeping in - I think of the book, "If You Want to Walk On Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat" by John Ortberg. In the book he states that "there are 366 "fear not" verses in the Bible. It is the single command in Scripture that occurs more often than any other - God's most frequently repeated instruction." So I need to give these fears to God and trust in Him - because He understands!
"Nothing is so much to be feared as fear."
Henry David Thoreau
Ending with a scripture . . .
"When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!” But Jesus spoke to them at
once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!"
Matthew 14:26-27
I posted pictures below from the game and the Cure Kids Cancer Challenge Walk.



44 comments:
I'm sorry you had to go through so much this past week :-( but I'm SO happy everything is okay!!!
I'll be keeping Brandon & you guys in my thoughts this Friday...
So Glad It Turned out Fine...we will be Praying for all of you more this week!
Tamara
I'm so happy that everything turned out okay for Allie, and that Brandon's problem is minor. I will be thinking and praying for him on Friday.
You have every right to be extra nervous. You and your family have been through so much, and you're such a loving and doting mother, it's only natural.
I will pray for a peace of mind, and for the health of your family.
Heather, I had a feeling that something medically scary had happened to one of your children when there was no update earlier this week. Also, I was driving behind you on Bloomingdale Avenue on Monday and you turned on John Moore Road (it was much earlier than school dismissal time, so that didn't seem right either). John Moore Road always represents heading up to Brandon Hospital. I am so glad that there is nothing serious happening, but I am sorry that Brandon and Allie have ANY medical issues at all.
I know all will go well for Brandon on Friday.
Elinor
Heather,
I can't imagine what you were going through this week. I do understand the anxiety, though. I worked at St. Jude for 16 years and still have the "St. Jude syndrome" where my own children are concerned. I have been following your family for 2 years now. Your family continues to be in my prayers.
So sorry you had a week of "fear". Thank God it was "nothing" to worry about!!! Tell Brandon prayers for him on Friday!!!
Let the boys know the leaves are turning their amazing colors, but the summer weather is handing on here...in the upper 80s!!!
FROGgin!!!
SS
Oh Heather. You should NOT have any health scares in your home again ever. Jacob's pokes, tests, etc was enough to last ten lifetimes. I'm so sorry! But so happy to hear all is easily treated and well. Gorgeous pics from the game btw! Sending Brandon some great get well thoughts for Friday!
Heather, I am so thankful that all is ok with your children. I can only imagine the fear that can attack you when it comes to your children, after going through it with Jacob. I hate it, but it attacks me too, ever since my girlfriend lost her daughter, Star Nuckolls to Wilms, and of course all that Amazing Jacob went through, pediatric cancer has become my greatest fear! I panic when my kids tell me they have a belly ache or they have fever or anything, that is usually normal childhood sickness, I try to turn it over to God but it is so hard, I think of you and all the other parents that have lost precious children to this horrific disease, and my heart gets so heavy, I know this is real and happens. Praise God for the successful turnout for the walk, WOW $85,000, that is so Amazing! I pray that a CURE can be found, it has to be, this is so cruel.
I will definately be praying for Brandon and all of you this Friday during his procedure.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Much Love & FROG
Audra
I am so glad I did not know !
Sandy
What a week for you all.
So happy to hear that the scares with Brandon and Allie were not as bad as feared.
And $85,000 in a first year fundraiser - that's amazing. Wonderful news for cancer research.
Janet
Oh, Heather, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this! Unfortunately, I can relate so well to the fears, except in our house it's always heart related.
We'll be praying for an easy procedure for Brandon tomorrow and giving thanks to God that all the tests turned out well.
Congratulations on the $85,000. That is AMAZING!! :)
Heather...I know how that fear can creep inside...Now that I have been connected to you and others who have lost children to cancer...I have dreams at night fighting with our pediatrician on how I want an MRI done right away instead of going home and trying so many remedies to cure what he "may" think it is, if Jonathan comes up with anything not normal. Its a scary way to live at times. For you I know it must hit a lot deeper. I am so thankful that it is only minor with Brandon and Allie. Consider it all ready done on those prayers that our Brandon needs for Friday. So glad to see all went so well on Saturday. Congratulations on the 85,000! Allie looks like she just "partyed" right along with everyone else at the game. Aside from all you went through this last week ..all of you look great in the pictures. All of you look good in red too. :)
Hi! Always thinking about your family! I'll definitely say an extra prayer for Brandon, although, I am sure Jacob will put him at ease through the wonderful bond they share.
Smile :)
Heather,
My daughter had a dimple on her spine and we went through all of the same testing. Not fun! I feel for you and know how scared you were. I'm glad all is well and that Allie and Brandon are just fine!
Keeping you in my prayers and froG'ing!
Jennifer Rivera
Lenexa, Kansas
Oh I'm so sorry you had those scares! So thankful that they're both okay! No, you never will look at things like this the same way you did before Jacob's problems....the Lord will always be with you!
Praying right now!
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Keeping Brandon in my prayers! I'm so thankful you continue to share with us!
Hi Brandon: Everything will be just fine today!!!!
I am so sorry for your scares, but so thankful that they both are going to be gine.
I know about the fear. My son is 31 now, yet the speed at which that fear can come back on us is unbelievable. Keep believing.
I am VERY relieved to hear that everything is normal!! I, too, have the fear of cancer since Jacob, and I will also try to remember to give it all over to GOD! I have paused to say a little prayer for Brandon, hope it all goes well. Blessings on you ALL today and always! Love and FROG! Shaun
Oh Heather, I am sure with everything you have been through with Jacob, you couldn't help but to be worried. THANK GOD everything turned out fine!!!!
I am praying for Brandon and hope his procedure goes very smoothly.
Btw---I just love all the pictures of the kids. Allie looks SO happy in all the pictures. You can tell she is one loved a little girl ;)
Kristine (Minnesota)
So happy it all turned out to be nothing for Allie and relatively "nothing" for Brandon. Praying for you and him today.
I suppose if we didn't have anything worth fearing it wouldn't give us practice trusting God to NOT fear, but you know better than most that those lessons are so hard.
God bless y'all real good! Love from Lisa D. in Sunland, CA
Oh, the fears you must have. I am so glad for the results. Sorry that you had to go through that.
Thinking of Brandon today
Hi Duckworths! I just now saw your entry, but I pray that Brandon is doing well after his procedure and that everything went smoothly! I love you guys so much! :)
In His love, Melody Kopp
Heather--Hoping everything went well with Brandon today. I have been praying for him. So thankful your babes are okay. I'm sure it was a very fearful time for you, but thank goodness one very special Angel was watching down on Brandon and Allie; keeping them safe. Continuing to pray for you all. Wishing you a wonderful weekend with your family.
Hey Heather,
Oh my, what a day for you! My heart truly goes out to you...I would of been crazy!
Just so you know, no one in my family gets a headache with a "MRI" to check for a brain tumor! I can totally relate.
I love your pictures. Allie has to be the MOST beautiful and happy baby ever! Talk about hand-picked!
Guess who started her blog?
Love you!
Susan
Praying all is well tonight
Oh Heather, I am SO sorry to hear that you had to go through so much this week with Allie and Brandon. But, am VERY glad to hear that everything turned out GREAT.
Congrats on the $85,000 that's WONDERFUL!!
God Bless,
Kelly
What happened to picture Friday? Was really looking forward to it!
I love the word picture painted in this verse. Still here praying.
Isaiah 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
oooh Heather bless your heart as a mom I can sure relate!--I am so glad everything is okay and I am so sorry you had to go through those scares this past week! --- I love this verse and I have been hanging on to it lately
I am completely parapharsing in my own words----my Bible is upstairs!! 'He has not given you a Spirit of Fear but of Love, Power, and Sound Mind'
I love it and with the uncertainity right now in Guatemala I hang on so tight to it!
I hope you have a great weekend with those beautiful kiddos of yours!!!!! xoxoxoxo
Keeping Brandon in my prayers.
Janet
Heather,
I'm so sorry about your scare with both children. I hope everything went well with Brandon.
I know how you felt. I worry about the same thing. I don't know if the fear will ever go away.
Allie is a doll. We have had Marissa home 1 month & she is helping us so much. However, no one can ever replace Jeremy.
We love Marissa with all of our heart & we are anxious to get Maria & Mariah home.
I still am having such a rough time but Marissa keeps me busy & I love her so much I am trying to control the grief but it is always there lingering in the background of whatever joy I am experiencing. I wonder if this will ever get better. I know Jeremy is in a better place and is healed now but I miss him so terribly bad each day, all day and all night. I just can't handle him not being here with us. He was our complete world & our lives completely revolved around him for his short 13 years.
Sorry to ramble on but I really don't have anyone that I am close to that has lost a child. I feel as if some people think I should be all better now. They have no idea of what it is like.
Well I was only going to write about your recent scares and ended up talking all about myself. (SO SORRY).
GOD BLESS YOU & YOUR FAMILY!
SHEILA HICKS
Know that I'm here praying!
Ezekiel 34:12 As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.
Heather, I am so glad to hear that Brandon's spot is benign and that Allie is okay. I know that the fear will always be there in your heart. As mothers we will always be fearful for our children and want to protect them from any harm. I am praying for you. Just remember that when it gets too hard you need to give it to God and lean on your family and friends. We will always be here for you. I love you! Give the boys and Allie a BIG hug and kiss for me.
I'm glad everything has turned out okay with your kids. I know your fear, and it is a horrible side effect from cancer. I never thought of cancer either. In fact, when they told me my son had an "enlarged testicle" it still never entered my mind that it might be a tumor or cancer - that was just unthinkable! Now, every fever, bump, headache, bruise, etc. the thought at least flits into my mind if it doesn't take up permanent residence! Thanks for sharing your struggles too - at least I know I am not alone - I too, do not want to be consumed with this fear - I know God wants better for me than that! I'll be praying for Brandon on Friday.
Love,
Alayna Brooks
Heather,
How I understand your fears, and how thankful I am to God for both issues being treatable!!!!! I saw a HUGE bruise on Nathaniel's leg, followed by a bunch of little ones on his calves and my first thought was "oh my gosh, I need to get a cbc on him!" but then I thought about the fact that he'd been climbing trees and playing all day and had to just breathe for a minute. I pray each night that God covers our children in a blanket of protection, but I also pray for strength and peace in the hearts of us, the parents, that we will find the comfort in Him.
Now that the walk is over, I sure miss seeing you and Allie every Friday. Want to get together and take the girls for a swim?
Lots of love,
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org
Hi Heather, just wanted to let you know how happy I am that everything is great, and it was just a SCARE. I cannot imagine all that must have gone through your head. But God is Good. I wanted to ask you if you are still looking at publishing Jacob's story? I think it would be an Amazing one to tell the world. Sending you lost of love. Oh, the pictures were beautiful, Allie is getting so big!
Heather- I was just going back through some old posts of mine and read a comment from a couple of moments ago you left. As I saw your blog name I thought...those "froggers" are the family I prayer for. Just wanted to let you know what an impact Amazing Jacob's fight had on my life. God bless you!
Hope all's well there!
Know that I'm here praying!
Isaiah 12:2-3 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.
Heather-
It's been a while since I've been able to leave a note, but I've been checking up on you and praying for you during your scary last week.
I work with cancer patients, and while my personal experiences are far different from yours, I understand, in some ways, the fear of the unknown and how quick our minds can jump to cancer. In our worlds, there is no such thing as childhood cancer being "rare."
Just wanted to let you know I was praying for you and BELIEVING all went well with Brandon. That baby girl of yours is just too cute, would have loved to see her at that game!!
Take care, FROGing in CT :)
HI Duckworths,
Just wondering how Brandon was doing...I hope everything went smoothly!!!
FROGgin!!!
SS
Stopping by to let you know that I'm still praying!
2 Samuel 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
i just was able 2 get 2 the computer n check in n see how things were goin... yes i was sorry wvu lost 2 maybe next year will be our year.... allie is gettin so big..... glad u guys did such a great job on the walk. i will be keepin brandon n allie n all u guys in my prayers n thank the lord that it was minor but still such a scare.. always in my heart n thoughts n prayers .... always f.r.o.g
much luv crystal
Hoping that Brandon has recovered well from his procedure on Friday. Glad that Allie is okay. Your fears are well-founded and I sincerely hope that all will be A-ok with your family from now on.
So maybe you just normally don't sign in that often...right?
Praying right now!
Psalms 17:6-7 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
Post a Comment