Friday, January 11, 2008

Mountain Cabin Getaway

Hello friends,

When we left West Virginia and headed for home - we were all sad that our vacation was coming to an end. But we had a couple of extra days to play with since the boys didn't have to go back to school till Jan. 8th so we decided - on a whim - to spend a couple of days in the mountains. We rented a cabin in Asheville, NC and escaped from the world! We enjoyed the peace and quiet in the mountains - playing games, watching movies, taking walks, drinking hot chocolate and sitting in the hot tub. It was a wonderful break from reality . . . no work, no school, no phones, no computers, no places to go - it was FABULOUS!

Of course, it was a nerve-racking experience trying to find our cabin on top of the mountain in the dark. We thought for sure we were lost - and worried about driving over the side of the mountain. The road was barely a strip of gravel and was filled with twists and turns and it was pitch black with darkness. I was praying the whole way up! The boys were nervous - and Devin kept asking Donnie to turn on music so he would feel happy and not worried. We were never so relieved and thankful when we finally found our cabin. Yes, road trips are always an adventure!


Here are the boys standing on the road to our cabin - which wasn't nearly as scary in the daylight! :)

Kyle & Allie enjoying some snuggle time on the couch.



This dog lived down the mountain - but was always out by our cabin. She was so sweet and had one brown eye and one blue. The boys loved playing with her.



Kyle



Brandon, Kyle & Devin - who loved exploring around the cabin.



Taking a walk . . .



Allie loved being outside.


This picture makes me laugh! Allie wanted Devin's apple juice and he asked if he could give it to her. I said YES - thinking that Allie wouldn't be able to drink from a straw. Boy, was I wrong! It didn't take her long to figure out how to do it - and the faces she made when she got a mouthful of apple juice were so funny! Needless to say - she didn't like it one bit when we took the apple juice away from her.




The boys enjoying the hot tub. It was so cold outside - but they thought this was the best thing ever!



Here's Allie watching the boys in the hot tub. She wanted to get in so bad - but it was way too hot in the tub and way too cold outside for her.


So we let her take a big bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub instead.



And guess what we saw each morning out by the hot tub?


The visits each day by this beautiful cardinal made our trip to the mountains even more special.




I am so thankful for the little reminders of Jacob God sends us each day . . . letting us know that Jacob is still here with us. Letting us know that God is here also . . . walking with us everyday during our journey through life - bringing us peace, sharing our pain, wishing us joy and loving us no matter what.


The bad thing about vacations is that they must always come to an end. The boys went back to school on Tuesday and Donnie went back to work. I am certainly missing all of my guys this week. I miss them terribly . . . and I am already counting down the days till Spring Break! :)

Favorite Fotos Friday is posted below . . . and I promise an update on Jacob's Stocking next week! Since we were out of town - I got behind on getting the mail and I still haven't had a chance to open everything. I can't wait to go through it this weekend . . . you have all blessed us so much with your generous donations. You help our hearts heal during such a bittersweet time.


Blessings to you all, my friends! May your weekend be filled with love, joy and thankfulness!

Ending with a scripture . . .

". . . Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the LORD is your strength!"
Nehemiah 8:10

Finding my joy - one day at a time,

13 comments:

Bobbi said...

Thank you for sharing your trip stories. It sounds like a lot of fun. The cabin looked like a wonderful hideaway.

Allie with apple juice was precious.

Your children are beautiful.

Tracy said...

Wow, it looks like you had an amazing time. Hope you are managing to settle back into normal life after all that fun! Pictures are lovely.

Rohrbachs said...

AWW!! i am glad I am not the only mom who looks forward to Spring break instead of school starting! So many mom's I know say they can not wait till their kids go back to school. I homeschool now but when my kids were in school I would miss them terribly! Love your pictures the cabin seems wonderful. Keep up the good work . !! You are anm awesome mom!

snekcip said...

I knew we were in for a treat!! I just LOVE THE PICS from the vacation! I especially loved the "CARDINAL SIGHTING" one! What a confirmation that Jacob was indeed along on vacation with you guys! Ms Allie seemed to love the snow just as much as those handsome boys! I have always dreamed of a vacation such as this! A vacation w/o technology, just the quietness and nature!! However the "lost cabin" would have scared the wits out of me, I would have PANICKED BIG TIME! Thanks again for "taking us along"!!!

Kristine said...

Looks like a great time was had by all.
I have to tell you I got choked up with the picture of the cardinal.

Jacob is ALWAYS with you!

Victoria said...

Sarah and I love keep up to date with you guys through your blog. We were in Montreat, N.C. the week after Christmas and loved the beautiful mountains. Our exchange student from Bangladesh loved seeing snow too.
We love all the pictures. The boys have grown so much. Sarah remembers helping you bath the triplets on one of your trips to Bedord, Virginia. Allie is growing so fast too.
May God continue to pour His blessings out on your precious family.

Becca said...

Wow - what a beautiful cabin. My favorite picture is the one of Allie and the apple juice!

Becca
Momma to Ella

Kelly said...

What beautiful family pictures! Allie is the most beautiful baby. I love that one where she is outside and looks more serious...so breathtaking! We love snow too, but unfortunately in Texas, we don't get much. What a treat for ya'll to play in that fresh snow and get away from it all. I loved the cardinal pictures....sweet Jacob letting you know he his right there beside all of you enjoying his family and watching over you. God is so good!

Thanks so much for sharing those sweet pictures w/ all of us. I told my 2nd graders today about collecting books this semester for Jacob and I told them his story. They are a sweet class and were very touched by it and excited to be helping those sick children in the hospitals. I am so lucky to be teaching at such a wonderful school. We had our class pictures taken this week, so I will send you another one of this class along w/ the books in June. I told them that last year's class had collected 30 books and they are so excited to try and beat that number this year!

So...the race is on!! :)

Have a great weekend!

Love and FROG,
Kelly May

Anonymous said...

My daughter had leukemia and a BMT when she was 13, she is now almost 20 and sometimes mourns the fact that she will not be able to have children. The other day she was feeling depressed about it so I showed her your pictures of Ali. It cheered her up somewhat to see your beautiful daughter and to know that there are options avaialable to her when the time comes. I just love coming here, thanks for sharing your life with us.

Greta Jo said...

Heather, What a wonderful time you must of had with your family. The cabin looks beautiful and the photos are great.

Katie said...

The apple juice pic is ADORABLE !!

Unknown said...

It was so fun catching up with your latest adventures. Glad you could enjoy the snow. We sure enjoy it up here in MN but the kids wonder what it would be like to have a Christmas that was 80 degrees and sunny!
I loved all the pictures, especially seeing the cardinal... what a joy see that and know that Jacob is always with you!!
May the Lord continue to bless you in 2008.
Love from MN,
Janet DeRosier

Liz from Maryland said...

What wonderful pictures! The cabin looked delightful. Thanks so much for sharing. Sounds like you all had alot of fun.