Donnie and I have always enjoyed road trips! I know it would be a lot faster and easier to fly - but we love packing up the car and heading out on what is always an adventure. And Donnie and I have had some of our best conversations while we are locked in a car together! Definitely bonding time! Of course - traveling got a little harder when the kids came along - but we didn't let them slow us down any and we continued to take road trips when we had the time. Thankfully the boys have always traveled well - and they LOVE to go! They enjoy road trips as much as Donnie and I do. So since the boys had a long winter break - we planned a road trip up north for a winter getaway and to visit family. We were a little nervous taking Allie - because we weren't at all sure how she would do on such a long trip - but my baby did awesome! She was a champ in the car - proving once again that she fits in so well with our family. She is definitely a Duckworth! :)
So we packed up the van and headed north - to West Virginia - where we spent New Year's with my aunt, uncle and cousins. The kids had so much fun!
The WILD crew on New Year's Eve!
Allie was asleep at this point - but the kids woke her up with all the horn blowing and noise makers - so Allie was awake to celebrate the New Year! Unfortunately it took a LONG time to get her back to sleep. She was wound up! :) Long night for Donnie & I - but thankfully she slept in till 10am the next morning.
We were hoping for snow and cooler temperatures and we certainly got it! It was bitterly cold - with wind chills below 0 - which was such a treat for us southerners. The kids all loved playing outside - even Allie! She would just squeal when we walked outside and she felt the cold weather. Of course it took us a good 20 minutes to get everyone bundled up enough to go outside! I don't know how you northerners do it everyday . . . we aren't used to doing coats, hats, gloves and boots. It took FOREVER for us to get ready to go anywhere.
Everyone enjoying the snowfall!
Devin playing with my cousin's little boy, Greyson - he is so stinkin cute! Devin wanted to bring him home with us. And Greyson loved Devin - he called him "his boy."
It was so fun dressing Allie in winter clothes!
It was really nice one day - cold, but sunny - so we decided to venture out with my cousins' family to do some sightseeing. But then the weather got bad and it started to snow. I know this is nothing to those living up north - but we felt like we were driving in a blizzard! :)
We pulled over at a visitor's center and let the kids play! We were the only crazy people there - but the kids loved every minute of it. We were all frozen by the time we got back in the car - but we couldn't pass up this opportunity to play in the snow. It was a winter wonderland to us - and such a special experience!
Can you see Minnie in the picture below? She blended right into the snow!
Devin - having a ball!
It was so beautiful.
Allie's First Snow!
She LOVED it!
They were all frozen at this point - it was bone-chilling cold!
Can you see the sparkle in the boys' eyes and those grins on their faces? They were thrilled to death to play in the snow!
~Joyce Brothers
Needless to say - we had a fabulous time visiting with family and enjoying some much cooler temps! And my aunt is the best cook EVER - so we also indulged in some great food that week, too! We enjoyed ourselves so much and I am so thankful we had this family time together.
Ending with a scripture . . .
"The LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:26
Feeling His peace,





9 comments:
OK!...I was freezing as I was looking at the pics. Wow! What a wonderful treat. I don't know either how those northerners do it.
I try to visualize our life up in those cold states and I just can't...lol. But so nice to be able to visit!
Love and Hugs..
We live in Manitoba and this was a nice reminder to us to be thankful for the "fun" the bitter winter cold can provide! We tend to forget!!
Glad you enjoyed the snow. It gets old here in Maine!! Allie is so cute in her winter gear.
The boys looked beyond thrilled. Snow and cold is a right of passage in childhood. As adults, I am PAST it!!
Glad Allie traveled well. Reese has some good days, some bad days. That's life with a toddler!!
We live in Winnipeg, Canada where it is COLD! I have three stepsons to get ready to face temperatures bellow 30 degrees (Celsius) in winter time, and I tell you: it takes time.
However, I think they are used to this weather, and they don't require too much stuff. Let's say, for example if one day they forget their hat, or their gloves, they don’t die (like I would). I do get affected because I am from South America, and having even zero degrees, it is a tragedy for my body. I take 10 minutes to put on all my stuff. But I love my new country and its eight months of winter time!!
By the way, I love your family. I have following your journey for years. I admire you much very much, as a very faithful warrior Christian woman. I bought your book, and I am reading it with the same fervor, I read your caringbridge site. God bless you! Tania Corro
Heather,
We love the beach, the way you all loved the snow. It's such a treat for us to get to see the ocean, we love the sand and seashells, everything about the beach.The boys and Allie looked so happy in the snow.I love road trips to, I love to drive.
Carmen
We always travel to Snowshoe every winter so my kids can ski and snowboard so I know what you mean about southerners and winter. It truly is wonderful. Our family has always taken road trips. Well, we can't really afford all the plane tickets so we travel by road. We always go on a trip once a year sometimes twice. We figure by the time the kids are grown we will have provided them lots of memories to start their own life with. What is sad, my oldest turned 18 this year and I am already getting sad knowing this may be our last trip as a family together. Heather, thanks for sharing everything. I truly enjoy hearing about your family. Annette
I love reading your blog! I followed you over from Jacob's site, which I found through another caringbridge site! Allie is GORGEOUS and seems so full of life!
You are a brave woman. We only have two and we've only gone on one serious road trip since we brought Ella home.
I love the pictures of Allie in the snow ~ and your boys are so handsome (beautiful, really, but I know boys don't like to be described that way!)
Becca
Momma to Ella
I love the snow pictures. It's funny to me to see everyone so thrilled over snow. I live in Minnesota so we see it all the time. It takes my son quite a while to bundle up but it is fun to play in it.
Before my son I hated snow but since him, he's 8 now, and seeing the sprakle in his eyes when he plays in the snow, makes the snow not seem so bad. My son and I love having a good old fashion snow ball fight ;)
By the way does Allie ever NOT smile. Her smile is always the greatest.
Post a Comment