Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Love You Forever

Hello friends,

Have you ever read this book?

Love You, Forever
by Robert Munsch


It is a story of a mother's enduring love for her son and it is one of the saddest books I have ever read. If you have never read the book, you can view it by clicking below. Can you believe it was on You Tube? You can find everything there!






I received this book as a gift when my oldest son was born - almost 10 years ago. I was a hormonal, emotional mess - holding my week old son in my arms the first time I read it and I sobbed hysterically through the whole story. Quite honestly, I never wanted to read this book ever again - so I packed it away in Kyle's baby box and I forgot about it.

Well, imagine my surprise when one of the boys brought the book home from the library to read.

YIKES!

It's been 10 years since I read that book - yet I knew I wouldn't be able to listen to that story without crying my eyes out! And sure enough when I sat down with my son to have HIM read it to ME - I couldn't hold back the tears and by the end of the story I was sobbing once again - mascara running and all! My poor child got upset, too, saying that this book was too sad and he didn't want me to get old and sick. :)

But I just couldn't hold back the tears. And even though I wasn't a "hormonal, emotional" mess this time, this story still makes me so, so sad as I realize how quickly my children are growing up. And it makes me realize all the stages of life I will miss with Jacob. And even though I don't sneak in their rooms at night to rock my big boys ;) - I will love all 4 of them forever.

Truly, a mother's love is so powerful . . . and a relationship between mother and son is very special. I know I could sing the words to the song in the book to my children each night and mean every word of it with all of my heart! Well, that is if I could sing! :)

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
as long as I'm living
my baby you'll be."

No, just can't read this book without crying my eyes out!

Lesson learned
. . .
next time Dad gets to read this book with the boys because this Momma can't handle it!


Oh, how I love my sons!
May they always know that I will love them FOREVER!





Ending with a scripture . . .

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever."
Psalm 136:1

Wiping the tears,

40 comments:

Andrea said...

Another beautiful post...I, too, cry whenever I read that book to my boys. It is really beautiful and poignant. Thanks again for sharing so many wonderful memories and pictures!
Andrea

Jennifer said...

Heather~
I got the same book when I was pregnant with my 1st baby (my son). I read it before he was born and I told a friend that it seemed to be a "very co-dependent story" and that I didn't care for the message very well. I remember saying "We as parents have to let them grow up and become independent of us". That was just one of the many tidbits of so-called wisdom that I had prior to giving birth! All of those idealic views went right out the window within the 1st week of his life! Anyway, before he was born, I stuck the book in his bookcase and didn't give it much thought after that until he brought it to me when he was about 2 years old. I read it TO HIM and my scenario was much like yours - lots of tears! Boy was my take on that book a whole lot different after having my son in my arms for 2 years. All of a sudden, I could completely relate to the mommy in the book and that story quickly became a favorite of ours.

I think God fashioned this whole "Mother's Heart" thing this way for a reason. He is entrusting these precious little souls to us so He needs to know they will be loved unconditionally! There certainly is no other love like a mother's love (although Daddies may disagree:O))!

Jennifer

Unknown said...

Ohhhh....we have that book too! I CANNOT read it without turning into a blubbering mess.....AND neither can Daddy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I know absolutely what you are talking about. I bought that book when I was pregnant with my son. I had heard a day care teacher read it to her 5 year old class. They thought it was silly that Ms Lisa would cry while reading it to them. Luckily, my son doesn't choose that book very often as I can't get through it without bawling. God bless you Heather. Thank you for sharing your blog. I have followed Jacob's site for a long time. I miss him!

Shari

Laura said...

Oh, that entry reminded me of growing up and hearing that story. I was fine as a child hearing the story read to me, but now as an adult I bawled like a baby hearing it on the video! When I am blessed with children, I don't think i'll be able to read it; my mother was certainly a stronger woman than I for being able to do that!

For Prayer Support:
www.asherandjacobsfriends.com

My two little miracle nephews:
www.caringbridge.org/visit/asherandjacob

*I had to remove all nonregistered sites early from our Friends page. We really miss having Jacob on our list and would love for you to register if you are interested!All you would need to do is fill out the form on the "add your family" section and email it to me.

leese said...

I'm sure if that book makes you sob, I'd be right along with you Heather!! Knowing I still need to get through dinner, I "opted out" of the youtube reading.

The boys have grown SO much since I began following Amazing Jacob's site some time ago. And Alli - she just exudes sunshine.

Hoping Devin feel better very soon and the bug leaves your house completely!!

Carmen said...

Heather,
I haven't read the book, I cried reading what you wrote and then looking at the pictures of you and the boys made me cry harder. Kenny Chesney's song Don't Blink is the one song that is so true. It does seem like you just blink and your kids are grown with their own kids.
Carmen

Myshel said...

Oh Man !!
You are NOT alone.
As soon as I read the title I gulped. That story is so amazing yet so very hard to read. One mothers day our Minister called all the moms with little kids up to the front and then broke out that book. I knew I was in for it.

Have a great day,
Shel

Leah said...

Very heartbreaking!
I also cried when I read this book.

Leeann said...

Aw Heather,

Big hugs to you. We are so lucky to have our children and know how deeply we can love them. ALL of them!
I know exactly what you mean, btw. When my Kate was around seven or so, she read The Giving Tree to my husband and I. I remember everything about those moments (she is now nearly thirteen...sniff!) and how my husband and I couldn't hold back our tears.

Oh, and btw, my mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday and my answer was immediate...Jacob's book! So that is what I will be ordering tonight! :-)

Leeann

Audra said...

I am wiping the tears too, yes, when I sit and Think about Life and how quickly it passes, it truly does break my heart, because I want this time with my "babies" to last and last Forever! I'm also wiping the tears for you too, because it breaks my heart that Jacob is missing, but I know you will Love him Forever! As you know I have Alec & Ava and it is so true that there is just a special bond between Mother & son, Ava & I share a very different & special bond, but for people that do not have sons, it IS something special! I'm so Thankful that you have your 3 boys here with you and you will always have your Amazing Jacob waiting for you to join him home one day! Thank you for Always reminding me how Very Precious the Time is that we spend with our children. Life gets hectic and Heather you truly keep me focused on what is Most Important! I could Never Thank you enough for this Special Gift you Bless so many of us with.
Much Love and may time slow down for all of us :)
Love,
Audra

valerie said...

You are a wonderful mom....I don't think your kids will ever not know how much you love them. Your face shines with love for them.
I love the pictures from "A Walk in the Woods."
Adorable!!!

Angel said...

OHHH MAN! That book makes me bawl my eyes out too. It's a teart jerker for SURE! Time does pass so quickly. I try to just treasure each day. These little ones keep growing on me! :0) Hugs, Angel

Rachel said...

:) love this book :)

Amy S. said...

Oh yes Heather..I have read that book more than once..and yes...by the end of the book, I feel sad and the tears just poor on....just thinking about it now makes me want to cry. If you think your children are growing up to fast...what do you think I feel?? Do you know I cannot watch videos of my children's birthday party's or videos when they were little?..because I sit and cry...and my kids love them and don't understand why I cry. :(

Love and Hugs...

Kelly said...

Heather,

I LOVE this book. We have had it since Craig, my oldest was born as well. It truly is a sad book and I get it out and read it every so often and remind them that they are going to have to take care of me one of these days in return for me taking care of them. I also remind them that they had better not put me into a nursing home.
I absolutely love your blog and miss seeing pictures of Allie today. Tomorrow brings a whole new day for new pictures.

In Him,
Kelly

Bobbi said...

I have a love/hate relationship with that book. Just reading your post made me cry!

The first time I read it was in French class. My teacher couldn't get through the story.

We read it here, but not often. The kids think I am a quack when I get crying, then they get crying...then they ask if a Mom would really climb in the window....The end gets me every time.

I haven't read it to Reese yet. Maybe we will skip it.....

Jodee said...

I had never seen or read that book before so I did view it quick. It certainly is a tear jerker!

I love, love, love all of the pictures of you and your adorable boys!

Martha from NC said...

Oh Heather, that book is such a "tear jerker." My son and daughter in law have two little boys and someone gave them the book. My sweet daughter in law bought the book for me and this is part of what she wrote inside - "I wanted you to have one for you and Alan. Everytime I read it I cry with so much joy. I hope you will as well." Oh the love between Mommies and their little boys.
You're right - you just can't read this book without "losing it".
Hoping you're having a good week. Oh how thankful I am for the blessings of life.

Mom Of 3 said...

I cant read that book either. It is a great book, and my middle child likes it and asks to read it often. We also like Just in Case you ever wonder by Max Lucado. Thank you for you moving post, and the great pictures.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

What a beautiful posting! My sister is a teacher, and she has this book. She read it one time out loud to a class and got teary-eyed. I watched the YouTube you downloaded and toward the end I filled up!

I have a treasured 4-year-old daughter, and I tell her each and every day how much I love her. I feel so blessed to have her in my life. She's been wonderful from the start -- a pleasant disposition and just so much fun to be with! Every birthday I cry because she's a year older -- growing too big, too fast!

Happy belated 1st to Allie. I loved her birthday postings and video. She dove into the fun -- literally!! :) She and your boys are so beautiful.

Thank you for sharing!

Young Creations said...

That is one of our favorite books. I read it to my daugther every night before she went to sleep. It is a teary eyed book. But I love it. It does tell the story of the circle of life. I love how the grown son comes back and takes care of his momma. My 13 year old son Adam told me after reading that book that he was to built me a house in the back of his house when he grows up. That way when I am old, he can take care of me. What a sweet heart. I tell him all the time that he is going to be such a great dad. And I know he will.

Have a great evening. Sweet dreams

Anonymous said...

Heather-

I was so excited to see that you were posting about this book because it's a favorite of mine. However, I couldn't imagine why you said it was one of the saddest books you'd ever read... because I've always thought it was a really sweet book about a mother and her son who stick together through think and thin.

I've read through some of the posts here and it seems that many people share your version of the story. I went to the website you posted and read about how this story was created as well... maybe I have a disconnect to those versions because I'm "just" a daughter and not yet a mother? It's interesting... perhaps things will change for me when I have children of my own. I think I need to call MY mom and ask her about this story, she used to read it to me and my brothers all the time, I don't remember tears, but maybe there were many I didn't see?

As usual you've created a very thought-provoking post here!! :)

I didn't get a chance to post about the "walk in the woods" but the pictures are beautiful. I like how you had Allie holding the boys hands, very sweet (and she can't run away from the pictures as easily that way!!).

FROG,
Love, Kyle

Tracy said...

Heather-
I am also one that could never read this book without crying my eyes out-I recieved when my son Connor was born (he will be 11 in May). I like the message of "I will Love You forever: Forever my baby you'll be"-To me it is just being a family and always taking care of each other-just not to the extreme of this book-I hope I never sneak with a ladder to my son's house when he is older and climb in the window-:) Thanks for sharing another moving message.

dede said...

Yeah - I guess I am crying along with everyone else -- Even though I'm not a little kid anymore, I think I will give this to my mom for Mother's Day this year.
As Always...Thank you for sharing.
Blessings
~Dede

Sharon said...

Ditto! I got that book as a gift when I was pregnant with twins. I often give it as a gift, but always with the disclaimer that it WILL make you cry!

It seemed my son always pulled it off the self for me to read, but most of the time I had to tell him I just couldn't.

Thanks for sharing. It's great to have such understanding blogger Mom friends!
Sharon

Sarah said...

We have it too and I also have a problem reading it to my kids as I cry when I read it. You expressed it so well, Heather.

I WISH you could be rocking Jacob right now with all my heart!

Dot O said...

Heather, just the other night, my 16 yld daughter and I were reminiscing about bedtime stories and together we recited the lines from I'll Love You Forever. I too would get very emotional reading that to my kids.

One of our other absolute favorites was by Pat Hutchins and is called "And the Doorbell Rang". My kids loved it and it's a great story about sharing that I think the boys would like and Allie will definitely grow into.

Lakeville Vertical said...

Heather,
I love this book and got it when I had my second daughter. I think it really speaks about the circle of life. From someone who has worked in long term care for 8 years it is very truthful and beautiful. I love the elderly and the beauty this books shows about every season of our life is so special. Our parents are cherished the way we once were cherished by them. It also makes me sad to know how quickly my children are growing up. My youngest is turning 4 this month and I truly am sad about this. I'm with you there! :)

Teresa said...

Heather,
I got this book when I was pregnant with my son - 15 years ago. It kills me every single time! I love it though because there isn't anything like that love shared between a mom and child.

Susan said...

Oh, Heather,

You would have to remind us! That book ALWAYS gets me.

I just watched it and I now have tears flowing.

I'm so sorry you did not get to experience this with your Jacob. I believe one day, you'll get to make up that time.

You are such a blessing Heather, thanks for sharing this with us~

Anonymous said...

I have tried to sign on here several times but I can never remember my AIM account information -- I think I've got it this time. We read this book to Taylor when she was really young and sang the song to Taylor and Brady for years. I still sing it every night to my little Carter. Children are such a gift and the bond between a mother and her children is like no other. Your pictures and posts are always so beautiful, Heather.

Reba said...

Oh, Heather, I cannot READ that book without crying. I have given up reading it to my students, much less my own kids. One year I got it for my own mother and attempted to read it. Makes me cry jut thinking of it. Now, if you want a really fun one to read to Allie, try My Family is Forever. We got that for Maria for Christmas. I ended up handing it to my husband to finish reading I think, I was sobbing...

Unknown said...

The first time I read that book was in a bookstore, and there I stood for ALL the public to see with huge tears running down my face. I bought it and brought it home when my boys were about the same ages as yours boys are are now, Heather.
Now my boys are 21 and 24, living on their own, and (although I am tempted) I don't drive across town to sneak into their homes to rock them. I do, however, stand on my tippy toes to give them big hugs, and we never hang up the phone with out the words, "I love you" , "Love you too, Mom". They grow and change quickly, but thankfully some things never change ... the love between mothers and sons ... as this book SO illustrates!

D Griffin said...

When I saw your new post this morning at work, I knew better than to listen to the youtube - so I did tonight with my son. He is only 4 and was too busy eating Chex Mix to care, but I bawled. That was touching - to say the least! Thanks so much for sharing, we always keep up with your posts and look forward to each and every one! Your children are beautiful and I loved your first book!

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of that book. I remember reading it with my mom when I was younger and being sad at the thought of my mom ever getting sick and dying. A year ago when i was 22 she passed and I could not help but sob at the end when the song sings as long as I'm living my mommy you'll be.

Mom Of 3 said...

Tag you are it. Check out my blog

Tina said...

Heather
I had never read that book but I am crying now too.
I understand the depth of the love a mother has for her son especially one that is now an angel.

HUGS
Tina, Angel Lance's mom

today is the present said...

Oh! That books makes me cry, too! And, reading your post, I laughed and then cried at the thought of you reading it to your son...the many thoughts that must have gone through your head...

I love to come back on Fridays and see the gorgeous pictures of your family and read the updates!
Thank you for continuing to share with us!

Jennifer

Tonya said...

Girl, I'm RIGHT WITH YOU! I sobbed all the way through the first time I read it too. I can't say I'll read it any time soon again either. O:-)

And the video... YIKES! I couldn't even get past the part where the man starts to sing. ;-)