Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Very Special Family

Hello friends,

My blogger friend, Angel, left me a message yesterday to check out her blog because she did a tribute to Jacob. Can I just tell you how completely touched I was when I read her update and saw what her awesome family did in honor of Jacob? Definitely had tears streaming down my face reading about their special day. How thankful I am for the impact Jacob is still having on so many lives. It completely overwhelms me with so many emotions!

But I loved what Angel said about COMPASSION in her update.
According to the dictionary, Compassion is:
"Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it."

What a hard concept to learn ourselves - much less teach our children. It is so much easier to turn our heads and ignore the pain of others. I can't tell you how many e-mails I have gotten over the year saying that they just can't follow our site anymore because it makes them too sad. I understand completely how they feel . . . it makes me sad, too. And it takes a very special person to follow our journey . . . A special type of person who embraces our pain, prays for us and wants to help. It takes a person with COMPASSION . . . and I am so thankful to those of you who have been there for us over the years. You have all truly helped to heal our hearts. I am so glad you didn't run away from our pain (although I completely understand if you did!) Thank you for helping us carry the burden of grief.

So go on over and meet Angels' family and see what they did. I promise you will fall in love with this precious family. They are truly making a difference in this world. They surely made me smile today as they helped me realize once again that in 6 short years, Jacob's life did indeed have a purpose. I am so grateful for their compassion. They all shine so bright with the love of Jesus!


Ending with a scripture . . .

"You, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness."

Psalm 86:15

"God has compassion on you even if you turn your back to him, and he extends his hand to help you when you are lost and without hope. In the same way, you show your godlikeness by letting his compassion flow through you to others. Compassion is a characteristic that flows only from the heart of God."

From Moments of Peace in the Presence of God

In case you missed it, there are several new updates below!! :)


Blessed by your compassion,

15 comments:

Liz from Maryland said...

What a beautiful tribute to an amazing Jacob. He has touched the lives of so many people. I, for one, will never forget him.
Your pictures at the beach are wonderful. Sure looks like you were all having fun. We are trying to move to Melbourne Beach which is not far from Cocoa Beach. It's a really great area and the beaches there are beautiful.
Sending love and hugs,

Liz Unger
Arnold, Md.

Leeann said...

Heather,

I am not at all surprised about the long lasting and far reaching touch Jacob had on people's lives and hearts. I honestly think of him every, single day.

Your whole family has been an amazing gift.

And can I say, while I am at it, that LORDY!! has Kyle grown up all of the sudden! That picture of him along the right column just blows my mind!

Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com

Sue said...

Oh Heather it was a well deserved and beautiful tribute to Jacob and your family. Everytime I feel down in the dumps I will visit your site and find a scripture or a passage that lifts me back up. You are a blessing to me Heather :)

elizabeth engelhardt creations said...

You are so right that Angel and her family are doing such great things in the name of our Lord. She truly does show compassion to all those around her. I look forward to continuing to learn from her and now from you as well.
Blessings.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I have followed your family's story since 2005, though I haven't posted in a while, and although Jacob passed two years ago I still think of him every single day. I was a junior in high school when I first stumbled across Jacob's website and now, going into my junior year of college I am studying to become a child life specialist. It is Jacob and only Jacob who determined my career choice and when people ask me why I'm choosing such an emotional career path, I tell them Jacob's story and they immediately understand. I for one will never ever forget that amazing little boy-he changed my life forever!
-Alyssa

Bobbi said...

This world is filled with many, many wonderful people. You, and Angel are certainly two of them. What a wonderful tribute not only Jacob, but you as well. I don't think that you realize how much your words inspire me each day. I know it isn't all easy or fun, but you find a way to savor all the good and make a wonderful life for you and your family despite all you have been through.

My oldest daughter is also growing her hair out for locks of love, and is almost there. This is a post I am going to share with her.

Tracey said...

I found your blog through Angel's. What a story you have to share! It has touched my heart. I wish you and your beautiful family all the love in the world! You have two very special little angels one in heaven and one on earth:)

The Travelers Journal said...

I will always be here following and praying! :)

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful!
We have an anchor in every storm! Praying!
Hebrews 6:17-20 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Allison said...

WOW - is all I can say. How humble you must feel. To know that someone (actually ALOT of someones) is thinking about Jacob and wanting to honor his life by doing something selfless.

Allison

Maureen said...

Heather, Thanks for sharing Angel's blog. I did enjoy meeting them and her tribute was beautiful. Both of you are making a difference everyday. Jacob continues to be my teacher alongside his special momma! The way I live my life has definitely been changed because of the two of you :) And you are right, it would be easy to run away and say this is too sad. But Jacob tugged my heart strings so hard I couldn't leave!! Have a wonderful 4th of July Heather

Maureen

Carmen said...

Heather I went to Angel's page and I was just going to read her tribute and go to bed. I stayed up late reading her blog. She has a wonderful family and is so sweet.
I loved her tribute to Jacob, it made me cry. What a wonderful thing for her whole family to do. Jacob has touched so many lives. I think about him everyday. When Gracie watches Spongebob, the one where he split his pants, I think of Jacob. I always think of Jacob when I see a frog. If Jacob taught us anything, he taught us to have more Faith, Love, and Hope. I think he still works his miracle through you and your blog, you have helped us as much as we have helped you. We all love Jacob and miss him, we never met him, but we love him to.
Your Friend,
Carmen

Unknown said...

Heather, I just want to congratulate Steve and Rhonda! What a wonderful blessing for all of you and I'm thankful that all is well with mom and baby! We have been really busy these past few days and I missed your Sunday post announcing his arrival but I was SO thrilled to read it today!! Thanks for letting us know and we're praying that all continues to go well.
Many blessings to you all!
Love from MN,
Jon & Janet DeRosier & the fab 5

Anissa Mayhew said...

Oh, that was precious, Heather! God has a deep purpose for you and it shows every day in the lives you are shining His love on.

Love,
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

Michelle said...

Hi Heather. I am a member ig the TommyDetescoFund. Tommy is my friend who died last year of brain cancer. I am responsible for the blog and I post items that I find important. I just did a post about Jacob. I hope that is okay with you. The website is www.tommydetescofund.com

I will take it down if you want me to.

Blessings.