
Hello friends,
I can't believe it is already Friday! This week just flew by and the weekend snuck up on me. We had another busy week and I don't see things slowing down anytime soon - especially since we are heading into the holiday season. Definitely a busy time of year, but LIFE is good so I'm not complaining. :)
Now for the Question of the Week . . .
You all know that I recently finished the Twilight Series. I hadn't been so involved in a book since Harry Potter - but I just LOVE to read. Finding the time is difficult - I usually stay up way too late finishing a good book since my only time to read is after everyone is in bed. But I just love getting my hands on a good book.
So my question is . . .
What is your favorite book or what are you reading now?
I am always looking for a great read - whether it be a devotional, non-fiction or fiction. And I probably would have never read the Twilight Series if someone hadn't recommended it. So, please leave a comment and share your favorite book - recommend a good one!
Can I just tell you that I am loving the Question of the Week??! I really loved all the new recipes and I enjoy reading all of your answers. Thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to participate. It is a great way for all of us to learn new things.
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to dig up family pictures for Favorite Foto Friday. I really wanted to be able to share family pictures over the years - but ran out of time this week. :) So instead I will just share our most recent family photo taken a couple of weeks ago. Boy, it is so HARD to get a good picture of all of us - nearly impossible. :P
.JPG)
And here's a flashback photo of Allie from this time last year. Hard to believe she was only 8 months old!
You all know that I recently finished the Twilight Series. I hadn't been so involved in a book since Harry Potter - but I just LOVE to read. Finding the time is difficult - I usually stay up way too late finishing a good book since my only time to read is after everyone is in bed. But I just love getting my hands on a good book.
So my question is . . .
What is your favorite book or what are you reading now?
I am always looking for a great read - whether it be a devotional, non-fiction or fiction. And I probably would have never read the Twilight Series if someone hadn't recommended it. So, please leave a comment and share your favorite book - recommend a good one!
Can I just tell you that I am loving the Question of the Week??! I really loved all the new recipes and I enjoy reading all of your answers. Thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to participate. It is a great way for all of us to learn new things.
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to dig up family pictures for Favorite Foto Friday. I really wanted to be able to share family pictures over the years - but ran out of time this week. :) So instead I will just share our most recent family photo taken a couple of weeks ago. Boy, it is so HARD to get a good picture of all of us - nearly impossible. :P
And here's a flashback photo of Allie from this time last year. Hard to believe she was only 8 months old!
I just loved that little orange dress and was thrilled that she could still wear it this year, too! It is more of a long top - but paired with brown leggings it is still so cute. :) Here's Allie a year later at 20 months.
I am going to take a little bit of a blogging break next week! I am behind on checking blogs and leaving comments and am way behind on e-mails and checking the Prayer Page. Plus, I would really like a chance to visit everyone's site who is following mine on the sidebar. I always love getting a chance to see who YOU are. :) I'm looking forward to visiting with all of you. So, I am taking a little break to get all caught up - but will be back soon! Have a beautiful fall weekend.





91 comments:
my fave book of all time is 'the catcher in the rye' by J.D. Salinger. right now i'm reading "the curious incident of the dog" - so far it's really good!
I love Nicholas Sparks books! My favorites of his are The Guardian, The Rescue, Three Weeks with my Brother(awesome memoir) and of course, The Notebook. I also love two by James Patterson: Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas and Sam's Letters to Jennifer. I guess the best way to describe those are "bittersweet" with a little "mystery"! Happy Reading!
Great Question! I can't wait to read the other responses because I LOVE to read too!
I love Harry Potter and I am now reading the Twilight Series because of your recommendation!! Thanks! I also like to read the book before the movies come out and I too will read until the wee hours of the morning if I'm really into a book! Some of my favs are "The Kite Runner," "A Thousand Splendid Suns," "The Glass Castle," "Water for Elephants," "The Red Tent," and for a light fun read I liked, "Marley and Me."
Kyna Petersen
I am a huge fan of the PennDutch mystery series by Tamar Myers. Oh my goodness, her main character has a wicked sense of humor and has me, literally, laughing out loud.
I'm also a huge fan of J. K. Rowling and now Stephanie Meyer. Starting book 2 of the Twilight series tonight! WOOHOO! :) Have a wonderful weekend!
My very favorite book (well, actually it's a series) is the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers. They are SOOOO amazing!! It's a trilogy and I've read them each a couple times. They all take place shortly after Jesus died, and it's about Christians making it in the days following. Each of them focuses on a different character (they are all so good I couldn't even pick a favorite- but I especially love the 1st & 2nd). You will be hooked (if you haven't already read them)!
Anyway, the titles are A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, and As Sure As the Dawn. Please check them out! I promise you'll love them. :) I can't rave about them enough. (You just have to give them a chance because the first chapters of the 1st one can kind of leave you feeling confused but it's soooo worth it!)
God bless you!
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series, Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series and Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan series! I guess I'm a sucker for series- I always hate ending a book because I become so attached to the characters!
Beautiful family photo - Ally gets more beautiful every day!
I love Nicholas Sparks' books (The Wedding is my favorite), The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, and the Mitford Series. However, my favorite fiction book of all time is Redeeming Love.
Not too long ago I finished Francine Rivers' series "Mark of the Lion" and LOVED it!! A Voice in the Wind, Echo in the Darkness (my favorite of the three) and As Sure as the Dawn.
Also, I'm reading Wavelength by Jeff Petherick. It's about tuning into God's voice in a world static.
Good so far.
Ooof. I just can't give you any good heads up on reading material, because I don't sit and read very often anymore. I'm doing a Kay Arthur Bible study in my womens class at church, and I find myself "proofing" what my son reads (anything from Matt Christopher to Bionicles to Goosebumps to Dick King-Smith, who I absolutely LOVE!). For a really funny read, "Owls in the House" by Farley Mowat is guaranteed to bring belly laughs. It was written 40 or 50 years ago, when boys were boys, and I bet you'd love it just as much as I did!
And then there's Allie.. what a sweetie pie! She is just yummy... beautiful smile, sparkling eyes, and exuding joy. Good job, mama!
Finally, if you don't already follow the Bring the Rain blogspot, you really do need to go and read Angie's latest post on praying over your children. You can find it at www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com . I've committed to the seven prayers for seven days, and my son already knows what I'm going to pray and when I'm going to pray it (and this is just the first day!). I love watching God work.. and I hope that this particular movement will spread and spread. I already have 10 of my friends committed to doing it, and I hope each of them gets 10 more, and so on. Could you imagine what it would be like if hundreds of thousands of us prayed over our children, out loud, SEVEN times a day? Every day? whoooooo.. it boggles the mind.
Long comment... but I just love your blog and your heart. Have a wonderful, fun weekend enjoying the beautiful treasure with which you've been blessed!
i like "a child called it" by dave pelzer...and my sister's keeper by jodie picole (or something around that last name...)
Its very very hard to get a group pic with 6 people..i hear ya!
I love that orange dress your little one is wearing ...so cute!!!
Your babies are all sooo cute!
Hugs,Leslie
P.S i'd tell you what book im reading now but i really dont want my other blogger buddys to laugh at me!!! If its good i'll tell you!!!!!! LOL
One of my all time favorite books is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers!!
If you haven't already read it then you must run out and get it NOW (your local library should have it if you don't want to buy it). It is based on the biblical story of Hosea and it is so good!! It will make you feel every emotion imagineable and will keep you up late with it's suspense. The first chapter is hard but keep reading and I'll guarantee that you'll read it again and again.
I am actually reading a book written by Terri Irwin, called Steve and Me..it was written with such love and faith in their relationship. I havent put it down..
Love, Marci
I love to read also. My favorite and I mean favorite author is Diana Gabaldon. Her first book is Outlander and it's a long series of wonderful reading. I became hooked 10 years ago and every lady in my family is in love with her books. I recently read The Other Boelyn Girl and Pillars of the Earth. Both great reads and starts to a series which I really only like a book if it's in a series.
Your family pic is great. The beauty in this picture is something wonderful to look at. Blessings.
Look how much she has grown. Isn't it great that she can still wear it. Got to love this new style. Twice the wear!!
I have a great friend who reads a TON and always recommends books to me. Some of my favorites have been "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," "A Thousand Splendid Suns," "The Secret Life of Bees," and the Tillerman Series (books for older kids, but I LOVE them!). Thanks for asking these great questions - I'm having a great time reading everyone's answers!
I'm a big fan of young adult fiction, maybe because, like you, I have so little time to read. I need something fairly concise and somewhat compact (though Harry Potter and Twilight don't necessarily fit those categories!). Even when YA books are long, though, I find their stories usually a bit simpler and, to be honest, a lot more entertaining and fulfilling than adult stories.
I love so many, but here are favorites (in random order):
1. The Giver by Lois Lowry
2. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
3. The Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray
4. The Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke (the third part was just released and I haven't read it yet, but hear excellent comments)
5. Many books by Cynthia Voigt, including the Tillerman books, Jackaroo, On Fortune's Wheel, and Izzy Willy-Nilly
6. (a "grownup" book) Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Now, I'm going to go check out some of those recipes I missed! Enjoy your break!
--Kelley
I am a book JUNKIE!!! I read entirely too much, but I love it! My all-time favorite author, though, is Jodi Picoult. Some of my favorite books she has written include, Nineteen Minutes, Change of Heart, My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Mercy, Keeping Faith, Harvesting the Heart... I could keep going!!! I just wait with anticipation for her to release her next book! Also, because of you and the comments your readers left, I am now reading Twilight! It is funny, because my middle-school and high-schoolers recognized the book right away, and their friends are all reading the books! :-) I can't wait to see what other books your readers recommend...
well hello Heather the book im reading right now is by jodi picoult and its 19 minutes oh wait or is it 18 min i cant remember but its so good. I love that little dress that Allie is wearing. Have a good weekend the boys are in the playoffs for football and cameron is still dancing her heart out.
Hi Heather:
My favorite book is THE SHACK by William P Young. It is on AudioBook from ITunes now too. It is fiction, but has a great picture of God's great love for us and how HE is there in the really hard things too.
On a different note. I spoke to Sarah today and she is doing well in NAVY boot camp. She graduates the 21st Kit, Cindy and I are going up to see her. I'm not sure if Marc can make it but hopefully so. I am so proud of her.
My prayers continue to be with you and your precious family. I'm almost finish my training and plan on leaving for Kazakhstan the beginning of February.
May His Mercy, Grace and Peace be with you and your family
Love
Vicki
http://kazakhvictoria.blogspot.com
I am currently reading three books...no wonder I can't finish any of them!
The pictures are sweet! Miss you...
I got sucked into the Redemption series (Karen Kingsbury) much like you were with the Twilight books. My sister got me the first one for my birthday one year and I didn't really think it was something that I'd like. Nevertheless, I read it, and then I just had to order the rest right away to find out what happened.
Enjoy the weekend! The snow has started here and my six months of envying your Florida life has begun. :)
I am not believing how big Princess Allie is getting! As always, I love looking at pics of your beautiful family.
Right now, I am on the inspirational kick and reading alot of Gary Chapman's "Five Love Languages" series of books. Also, Eckhart Tolle's works...right now "Power of Now", read "A New Earth"...all of which speak to me in some way. And for me, it is what I can take away and make my life and relationships better with those I love. If you haven't read already, I would also suggest "Tuesdays With Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven".
HUGS!!
In the past couple of years I have gotten very into the Mitford Series. It's a fictional book about a priest and his life. I just loved it! I think there are 8-9 books total in the series. I would get so worked up if I didn't think the book was going the way I thought it should that I would have to skip ahead a bit to see if I was going to be upset and then return back to where I was reading.....I know that's like cheating but I just couldn't help it! I have on my Christmas list Spaghetti for the Soul by Kathy Troccoli. I love her music and have heard her speak at a women's Christian Conference and she was fabulous! She and her friend Elle Loffero tour doing women's retreats and this book is the program they are doing. I can't wait to start it!
FYI....Twilight movie tickets went on sale yesterday for the November 20th or 21st (not sure which night it is) midnight premeier. My son promptly went and bought his tickets yesterday and was panicked it would be sold out before he got there despite it being a 3 weeks before the movie even opens!
I also liked the book, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". It's an interesting story from an autistic child's point of view. Another good book I read over the summer was "The Art of Racing in the Rain." If you are a dog lover, grab a box of Kleenex and read this one. Right now I too have started reading "Twilight" thanks to the great feedback from you and my daughter.
I also like the book, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time." It's a story from an autistic child's point of view. Another great story I read over the summer was "The Art of Racing in the Rain". If you are an animal lover, grab a box of Kleenex and read this one. Currently I too am reading "Twilight" thanks to you and my daughter!
Anything by Karen Kingsbury. I am the same way. Once I pick up a good book, everything else is history. KK has several series books and a few that are a couple books each. That is very appealing to me, I love a continued story. The best part is that they are all faith based fiction. They handle topics such as unwed mothers, HIV, adoption, and many other interesting storylines. If you haven't tried a Karen Kingsbury book, you are missing out on a great author with some terrific stories to tell. She also has adopted internationally, so you have something in common.
Hi Heather,
Sorry I haven't popped in to say hi sooner! I can't believe how much your "baby" has changed in the past year... YIKES! I loved those gummy smiles :O)
Have a great weekend,
Tracie
My favorite book...There Is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene.
Becky
Your family photo is precious! We are still at the stage where at least two of ours almost never even look at the camera, so when they do, we are super thrilled!
What beautiful pics!!
Ok... I had to do some serious thinking about this because there are so many I could list here...
"The Catcher in the Rye" (J.D. Salinger) is one of my all time favorites. I also loved "My Brother, My Sister and I" (Yoko Kawashima Watkins) which is another book from my school days that I have read several times.
"The Memory Keepers Daughter" (Kim Edwards) was simply brilliant and I would recommend it highly.
I LOVE all of Jodi Picoult's works because I always find they challenge me in one way or another and I happen to appreciate that. Also, her eye for detail is stunning. But I'll warn you... you many not be able to put her books down! (I just finished "The Pact").
And because I work with families in pediatric hospice (and because this book is also a favorite of mine) I'll recommend Leo Buscaglia's children's book called "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf: A Story of Life for All Ages." It is a beautiful story and I read it often.
I can't wait to read what others recommend. I am always looking for a good book. I love curling up with a blanket and some hot cocoa and spending a lazy day by our fireplace reading a great book!!
Thanks for these question days Heather, I love them! Love Kyle (from CT)
I love anything by Jodi Piccoult - but my favorite is My Sisters Keeper. It will bring a tear or two because of the real life that you and I have both lived. Jodi write complete fiction, but the stories are ripped from current headlines so it makes it very interesting. You would also love The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. Again fiction, but it is about all of our favorite biblical women and the special times they shared during their "unclean" times. Great read! Enjoy. Fondly, Tracy www.caringbridge.org/nd/tuckersjourney
Heather... you have such a beautiful family! I think Sophie can still fit into that orange dress this year too!
I am just starting the Twilight series and the only other books I have read over the past few years happen to be board books with snazzy little rhyming lines - LOL! I am a sap for Nicholas Sparks books though!
Have a great weekend!
Heather, right now I am reading the series by Janet Evanovich, each book is numbered and I have heard she is a great author who will keep you in stitches. So far I am enjoying it.
Maureen
I just (as of 15 minutes ago!) finished reading All That Matters by Stef Ann Holm. I have read all of her books, she is just a great author! This one was so good I started it at 9pm last night and finished it at 2pm today! :) Now, it is time for housework and jewelry making...
Hi Heather,
I LOVE LOVE LOVE books too :-) My favorite has to be "To kill a mocking bird". I must've read that book hundreds of times and enjoy it more every time. I also love Erich Segal's "Man, woman and child". Love all of Sydney Sheldon's, Nichlas Sparks and Micahel Crighton's books too (excellent beach reads).
Your family is sooo beautiful and I'm one of those lurkers who come to your blog daily to check for updates. I LOVE reading about the boys and of course, your gorgeous baby girl. You are such an inspiration. Take care -- Rupa
Right now I'm doing a program to read through the whole Bible in 90 days...Been doing it over a week now and haven't missed a day yet. Of course I can't or I'd get hopelessly behind. I'm actually concentrating more than I ever have when I've done it in a year. Am even finding interesting things in Leviticus! Of course not the whole leprosy thing, but...so I'd have to say the Bible!
We have the same Angel, preparing our way Home. Praying!!!!!!!!!!
Exodus 23:20 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.
Prayer Bears
I haven't squeezed much reading in lately what with our daughter's wedding and all of the planning and chaos leading up to it this past Friday, Nov. 7th.
However, I have been working through a wonderful book entitled,
"Boundaries" by Dr Henry Cloud and John Townsend. It's a Christian book and has been liberating!
Since I am one of those History nerds and I love Biographies, I just recently bought,
"After The Reich, The Brutal History of the Allied Occupation". It's not going to be light, cheery reading but my mother is from Germany and lived through this period of time. I hope it'll be a catalyst for getting her memoirs written!
I have a couple of biographies sitting on the shelf (John Adams, Scott Joplin and Benazir Bhutto) waiting to be opened.
A couple of my favorite books:
"Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose (Corps of Discovery).
"The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw.
"Let's Roll" by Lisa Beamer (9/11 widow of Todd Beamer, Flight #93).
"Ada Blackjack" by Jennifer Nivens (the lone survivor, a woman, of the Wrangell Island Expedition).
"Through Gates of Splendor" by Elizabeth Elliott.
I NEED more time to read! So many books, so little time!
Connie
I'm a big fan of James Patterson. I love his books. I have almost everyone he has written. The chapters are short so it's easy to pick a part to stop at.
One of my favorite's is the Hope Stout story. It's now a book you can find with all the books on cancer in the book store. I highly recommend it!
Heather my favorite series is by Janelle Taylor. I love the story of Gray Eagle and Alisha.... great great books. I could read them all over again...
Savage Ecstasy
Defiant Ecstasy
Forbidden Ecstasy
Brazen Ecstasy
Tender Ecstasy
Stolen Ecstasy
Bittersweet Ecstasy
Forever Ecstasy
Savage Conquest
Allie has grown so much since last year, she is just beautiful. I hope you've had a great weekend.
I love christian fiction
Lately my favorite books are from
Dee Henderson.
Uncommon Heroes series
True Devotion
True Valor and
True Honor.
I also love Jannett Oke books. I've read all of them.
I LOVE Jen Lancaster, all three books are just funny as snot! Let's see, Laurie Notaro, also very funny and Three weeks with my Brother by Nicholas Sparks is very good.
Enjoy that frigid Florida fall!!
Love,
Natalie
www.believeinmandy.blogspot.com
I love, love, love your new family picture!
Kamree also has that orange dress. Allie looks adorable in it too!
Enjoy your blogging break!
I haven't read a book (sadly) in years...but I think the last I read was something like "Red Letters"..I remember loving it...kristi
I never have time to read - but recently read "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards - it was great! Your family is beautiful!
Love, love, love that you asked this question! And I really can't wait to read everyone's responses...by far my favorite book is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. All of her books are really, really good - this one is great! Also, I love Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - I read it 3 times! I am enjoying Twilight - from your recommendation - have about 70 pages to go but really don't want it to end. Thanks for asking the question - I'll be checking the responses often!
Andrea
Oh yay! Books!!
My next book will be "The Other Boelyn Girl" I have 2 friends who are so eager for me to read it. They say that you get totally involved with the characters. Some of my favorites are Memoires of a Geisha, Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, The Kommandant's Girls (so! good!).
Can't wait to check out the other suggestions.
Hi Heather! I know you are taking a break from blogging. I saw this on another web page and I wanted to share it with you. You may have already seen it somewhere. I know you find your strength because of God and your faith. I just liked the wording in this. Have a nice break! Looking forward to new pictures. I love reading about your family. You are such an inspiration.
God bless,
Shari from Missouri
MY SHOES
I am wearing a pair of shoes, They are ugly shoes, Uncomfortable shoes, I hate my shoes. Each day I wear them, and each day I wish I had another pair. Some days my shoes hurt so much that I don`t think I can take another step, Yet I continue to wear them. People treat me differently wearing these shoes, I can tell in others eyes that they are glad they are my shoes and not theirs. They never talk about my shoes. To learn how awful my shoes are might make them uncomfortable. To truly understand these shoes you must walk in them. I now realise that I am not the only one that wears these shoes, There are many pairs in this world. Some women ache daily as they try to walk in them. Some have learned with time how to walk in them so they don`t hurt quite as much. Some have worn the shoes so long that the days will go by before they realise how much they really hurt. No woman deserves to wear these shoes. Yet, because of the shoes I am a stronger woman. The shoes have given me the strength to face anything, They have made me who I am, I will forever walk in the shoes of a woman who has lost a child.
I love to read! I have not yet read Twilight...but intend to as soon as this crazy semester is over! My favorite Christian author is Karen Kingsbury. I love her Redemption series, and she wrote two more series after those with the same characters. I also love her book, Divine. Atonement Child, by Francine Rivers is another favorite. I also enjoy fantasy. I read the Harry Potter books, and am reading the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage and the Charlie Bone books by Jenny Nimmo. I liked Cornelia Funke's Inkheart, too!
I'm reading 19 minutes by Jodi Piccoult, it's about a boy who shoots up his high school and what led him to it. Very hard to put down!
I am happy to hear you like the new Twilight series, I want to read them so bad, just hadn't picked up a copy yet. It's on my to do list lol.
I have a random "question of the week" for you! I am from a large family like you. Typically at christmas the adults do a gift card exchange where one adult reads "The night before Christmas" and each time the world "the" is said, we pass the little bags with the gift cards around (each adult bringing one gift card). . when the story ends the gift card you are holding, is your gift. We spend $20 max. Anyway, we're tired of that! so I'm seeking for something new! I know you're family is filled with adults so I was wondering how you exchange with them. . do you buy each person a gift, draw names, just whatever tradition you may have. I would appreciate any info!! I'm trying to brainstorm but so far I can't think of anything very exciting!
Thanks for your time. I've followed your blog for years now.
Missi
missrich@bellsouth.net
Oh Heather - I can not believe how much Allie has grown ... she is such a little lady already! It is sometimes so sad to see them grow up so fast but yet so fun as well! She is so darn cute no matter what!
And I LOVE that photo of your family - you are all so beautiful!
As far as reading goes - I am a huge SUCKER for any novel by Vince Flynn ... he is a MN native and diagnosed dyslexic ... he has written some fabulous political thrillers and I admit - I drop everything to finish his books ... they aren't for everyone but I am a huge fan!
Hope your week is going well ...
Hugs from MN!
Rebekah - Jaden - Baby#2 too
A little late, but hopefully you'll get this far in the comments. :) I'm into the Twilight Sage right now and OMG!!!! Can't stop reading. LOL But I highly recommend absolutely anything Nicholas Sparks writes. He is a master in stories of the heart.
I just finished Nicholas Sparks new book and it was WONDERFUL! Have you read the Debbie Macomber series that all the books are named an address. The first one is 16 Lighthouse Road. She writes one a year and they come out in September. They are sooooo good. She's up to #8. Amazon has them all. She also has a kitting series (stories not knittin, although she has given instructions for a prayer shawl in one). That series is a 'can't put it down' too. She also has written an inspiration book that I just bought and it's like having her sit beside you and talk with you. I don't remember the name but it is so good. And she wrote Twenty Wishes which is another 'can't put it down' book. Can you tell I love this author? Sorry to run on but if you haven't read any of her books, read 20 Wishes first. She'll hook you with any of her books. I also read My Sister's Keeper - it was great! I read all the time - no children at home. Just the dog and me and she complains at times about my reading!
HEY, Heather!
I had to jump in on this topic. I have NEVER liked to read, but JUST got into the book reading saga this year. And I LOVE it. The very first book that I read (and don't laugh) was sTORIe Telling by Tori Spelling. I LOVED it! I actually never knew much about her, but her book was intriguing. I was very impressed. My second favorite (and you probably have already read this) is the SHACK. I REALLY liked it alot. This book seems to be either LOVED or HATED by all. It seems as if there is no inbetween.
Go out and get these books. You will love them!
:)
Happy Fall
Alisha
Because you and your family are such an inspiration to my family, my daughter and I are reading the Twilight Series. I have just finished #1 and getting ready to start #2. The most recent book that I have read and loved was Fireproof. I just found out today that the DVD is coming out in Jan. Can't wait to see it. I also like most of Nicholas Sparks books and getting ready to read The Choice once I finish the Twilight Series.
God Bless,
J. McGrew
I haven't checked your blog in ages (you don't know me, I can't remember when I first stumbled upon your blog--I think it was when you were adopting your daughter...), and I cannot get over how big your little girl is getting! She is gorgeous & I love the family picture you posted!! There are 5 in our famiy, and trust me, I understand how hard it is to get a good picture!
Favorite read....Jane Austen, Janet Evanovich, lots of other mystery writers. Got totally caught up in Harry Potter, Love Chronicles of Narnia and Little House on the Prairie. I'm assuming I'm going to be dragged to this Twilight series, kicking and screaming, since all of my friends are reading it (I'm in my almost mid-30's LOL). Right now I'm in the middle of the latest Eragon book--really enjoying it.
I love to read too..My favorite is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. The sequel, World Without End, was fabulous too. I also love anything by Jodi Picoult.
Hey Heather, I haven't been by in quite some time. I think about each of you often. I was reading your recent blog and I have heard about the Twilight Series from quite a few people and I think it is a must read! I rarely have time to sit down and read and usually end up doing things online via my phone once I go to bed. Luckily it lights up since I go to bed so late and it would be pretty rude to turn on a light:)
You ask about favorite books. I do love devotionals also and I have always like biographies especially First Ladies or great Women in History. I have read quite a few books especially during our stays in the hospital but due to memory issues, I rarely can remember titles. I do remember the things I learn from them though which always seems to stay with me.
I very much enjoyed, "Purpose Driven Life" and usually if someone recommends a good book that knows me well, I trust it will be a good book:)
I moved my blog (not Katia's site) over to a google blog. Maybe you can check it out. There has been quite a few things going on lately and hopefully things will quiet down soon.
Tell your family hello. The pictures are always great to see:)
Love, Tracy
Hey girl!
First, I MISS YOUR UPDATES!! :) Secondly, you have to read Marley & Me! It is a funny light read that you will be sure to enjoy. And they have the book in a 9-12 year old range. My kids have read it and both loooooved it! The movie is coming out this Christmas and we are so excited! I buy a new Christmas book every year and sign & date it for my kids. When they grow up, they can divide the books for their families. Some are traditional Christmas books and some are just fun Christmas stories. Well guess what? There is a Christmas Marley book! My kids are going to flip out (ok, maybe I will be more excited:)!!). Enjoy the book!! Highly recommended!! Lookin' forward to your next update :)
Any book by Karen Kingsbury is my favorite. She is an author of Christian fiction. Once I start one of her books, I can't put it down.
RIDE THE WIND
by Lucia St. Clair Robson
It is based on a true story of Cynthia Ann Parker - kidnapped as a little girl by the Comanche Indians and raised to marry the great chief Wanderer. Her son was the last free chief of the Comanche tribe.
http://www.luciastclairrobson.com/RidetheWind.htm
My uncle (a college prof) gave this to me years ago, and I have read it no less than 100 times. It IS that good.
Enjoy!
hmmm thats a tough one..I LOVEE the Twilight series! im on book 3 (Eclipse) now.and harry potter..also redeeming love like others have mentioned. i read this last year in english its called ethan frome you may have read it in school. i loved a child called it as well. olives ocean was good its a YA book more or less 5th grade but it was good! well if i think of any others i`ll tell you!
-Shelby
Ok. So I just started the Twilight book since you and my sister both were talking about it and now I can't put it down. Now I must go see the movie Friday! Just need to finish the book before that!
Hope all is well with you guys.
I am missing your updates too! Hope all is well with you.
I have to second anything by Jodi Picoult. I read My Sisters Keeper (soon to be a movie!) and then felt compelled to tear through anything written by her. Each book is its own little gem. They are all different and so very moving.
I love the classics too and if you haven't read Gone With The Wind I highly recommend it as well. So much better than the movie.
I know you are "out" at the moment, but missing hearing about your family.
I tagged you, so come check out my blog sometime!
Heather,
It has been ages since I've talked with you, but still keep up with you on your blog. What a blessing you are to so many.
I've read some awesome books in the past few months, including Stoney Creek, Alabama by Jennifer Youngblood & Sandra Poole; Every Good & Perfect Gift by Sharon K. Souza; The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks; Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.
Love to all of you,
Cindy
I just started reading "Falling to Pieces without Falling Apart" by Mark Epstein. I feel as though my life has fallen upsidedown since I had surgery in August, and someone suggested I read this book in an attempt to find peace in all that has happened.
I think I have told you this before - but my fave is The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier. I'm going to have to check out this Twlight Series!!
Peace and Hugs,
Becca
Hi Heather.
I miss your blogs but I hope you are enjoying your time off. We are busy up here in the cold north and loving it. I think the cold weather is here to stay.
I've been thinking of you a lot lately as I've been hearing of so many who have suddenly been thrown into the scary world of cancer and my heart goes out to them. My prayers are with them and with you as we head into Thanksgiving. So many things to be thankful for but Jacob is still deeply missed...by all of us!
Praying you have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving with your family.
Hugs from MN,
Janet
Hi Heather,
I just wanted you to know that you inspire me and have a little something I wrote for you on my blog. Here's the post: http://journeywiththelord.blogspot.com/2008/11/what-inspires-me.html
You don't have to make this part public if you feel it not necessary:
I would also like to help you raise money for the pediatric cancer foundation. If you're interested, I would allow you to "host" an online Tastefully Simple party. It would be just as if you were having a party and people would order from your party. Then at the end of the party, we would close it out and I would mail you a check made out to the charity of your choice for the proceeds - about 30% of all sales after I pay my online fees for credit cards and such. Let me know if you're interested. I know God wants me to use my business to help others and this is what keeps coming to me. It's ok and I understand if you don't want to do this. :)
Bless you!
Hi Heather,
I completely understand how busy things can get and its hard to stay up to date with things isn't it.
Thanks to your recommendations I have the 1st 2 Twilight books and we are on holidays so am about to start the 1st one. My husband got hold of them and read the 1st 2 in only a few days...he reads so fast!! Even he thought they were ok. So am looking forward to some pure escapist fiction as we have just moved house and need a break.
I have also just read "Looking for God' By Nancy Ortberg which is really good and another church leadership one by Craig Groeschal called 'It' which is brilliant. My husband is a pastor and we are about to step into a senior pastor role at a new church so it was very helpful to read.
Anyway look forward to catching up on your news when we are back and hope you and your family are all well.
Take care and God Bless,
Anna
I may be sending this twice. I had trouble navigating Google. My favorite read right now is Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama. Its autobiographical and really helps me understand where our new president is coming from.
In general my favorite author is Nicholas Sparks. All his books are great. He had a new one just come out but I can't remember the title. It has a real surprize ending.
Well I better get packing. My husband and I are off to visit my family in Indiana. I have triplet granddaughters who just started kindergarten and they are so much fun. Of course the entire family is great. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
Praying, Believing and FROGing Love Alice Alt
Hey!
Well, my favorite author is Sarah Dessen.
My favorite book of hers is "Just Listen". I feel like I can relate to the characters and never get tired of reading the book :)
I am going to look for some of the other books people have mentioned here. Not that college gives me much extra time, but when I have time I'll be using it wisely :)
Hi Heather!
I see you have disappeared from blogland too! I hadn't posted in a while and was starting to feel so removed from everyone! I understand how busy life can be!
I love to read too and I like a wide variety of books. BUT, my all time FAVORITE book EVER was "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb. It is a very complex story and is weaved through several generations. It took me a while to read it for 2 reasons: 1) it was a long book (over 900 pages) and 2)it was so complex that one couldn't skim the pages and get the full meaning of it's story. However, it was fascinating and I highly recommend it.
I hope all is well with you and Donnie and the kiddos! I miss your posts and miss seeing you visit over at my blog! Hope to see you soon!
Jennifer
Hi Heather,
My daughter who is in her 4th year of college has read all of the Twilight books and went to the midnight premiere of the movie last night. She loved it. She keeps telling me that I should read them, maybe I will. She and some friends will be going down to Orlando next month. They had planned a trip when the premiere was supposed to be in Dec, but it was moved back to Nov because of a conflict with another movie that is opening then. If you haven't seen the movie or even if you have and want to see it again, they would love to have you join them! We live near Pensacola and have been following your Caringbridge site for the past several years.
Your boys are getting so big and Allie is a doll. I wish I was coming down there because I would just love to meet you!!
Two of my favorites are Nicholas Sparks and Mary Higgins Clark.
Hugs & Love!!
Debbie
Missing your blogs! I must admit, i'm a complete addict though have failed to sign on in quite some time. The kiddos are getting so big; my prayers continue to remain wiht your amazing family.
I agree with the previous poster. Marley and Me is one of the best books i've ever read. Just make sure you don't read the last chapters on a plane like I attempted to do. I have never laughed or cried out loud like I did with that book!
www.asherandjacobsfriends.com
Ok you should be a sales rep for Twilight because you convinced me to buy it. I'm trying to get it done before the movie, so far it's really good!
Oh I see someone else here has the same favorite book as me, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult! Great book.
Come back soon Heather we miss you!
Hi! I thought I would check in to let you know I'm thinking about all of you! I hope things are great and everyone is just busy with the upcoming holidays!
Smile :)
Heather,
Where are you? I hope everything is o.k. Can't wait for an update.
Heather, where are you! We miss you terribly and can't wait to hear how everything is going in the Duckworth home!
Write soon!
Melinda
Everything's okay there, right?
The Lord is going before you, too, and will not forsake you! Praying!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deuteronomy 31:8 And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.
Prayer Bears
I'm sure you're just busy getting ready for the holidays, but I'm starting to worry just a little. It's not like you to go so long without some sort of update. We miss you and hope everything is well! :) Maybe you're busy reading with all these great book suggestions...
I just bought the Twilight Book because everyone is talking about it. Haven't started it yet.
Love the family photo, it's beautiful. All the best and
Happy Thanksgiving.
HAPPY early THANKSGIVING!
I hope you and your family have a wonderful day tomorrow.
I'm thankful for you sharing Jacob and your family with my family.
Thank you and Love ya,
Crystal
One of my favorite authors is Jodi Picoult. My most recent book of hers was Keeping Faith. Others I have read and LOVED just as much are The Tenth Circle, Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, Mercy.
Another wonderful book is The Shack, by William P Young.
Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Malinda from Arizona
Ok, better late than never! I can't seem to think of any books but the Twilight series right now!! I lost so much sleep reading them the first time through. Now I am rereading and I of course read Midnight Sun off Stephenie's website. I have turned my coworkers on to these books too! This obsession is all your fault Heather! ;) You know I love you!
Post a Comment