Friday, August 29, 2008

For Jacob

Edited Again . . .

Another new update below or
CLICK HERE.

***********************

Edited to Add . . .
First I just want to thank you all so much for donating!!! We are already close to making our goal because of all the generous donations from YOU!! I would be thrilled to PASS the goal! :) Don't forget to leave a comment on this post after donating to be entered in the give-away!

Also - there is a new update below this post! You can scroll down or
click here to see it. All new updates will be posted below this one until Sept. 15th - when I will announce the winner of the Halloween shirt. :) Thanks!

***********************************


Hello friends,

On September 13th, our family will once again be participating in the Cure Kids Cancer Challenge. This is a walk to raise money for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation - whose main purpose is to fund research for pediatric cancers in the hopes of one day finding a cure. This is by far one of our favorite charities to support! We participated in the walk last year and it was such a beautiful and inspiring day, raising almost $90,000!

We will walk in memory of our son, Jacob, who was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 3. He fought hard for 28 months through 9 major surgeries, 24 months of chemotherapy, trips to Sloan in NYC for treatment and numerous hospital stays. He never, ever gave up and continued to shine with joy and love and silliness through it all! His spirit was strong, but his body wasn't and Jacob made the journey to Heaven on June 12, 2006. Words can't begin to describe how devastating and difficult that time was for our family. Words can't describe how much we miss him every single day. Words can describe how childhood cancer forever changed our lives.

Childhood Cancer does not discriminate - and can affect any child . . . no matter how healthy they might seem. Cancer is so evil - and the treatments are horrific. And I worry everyday that cancer will affect another member of my family. I look at all the sweet faces who battle this disease and my heart hurts knowing all that they must go through. And that pain cuts deep when I realize that many won't survive. Jacob doesn't need anymore friends in Heaven so we must keep fighting for better treatments and more options . . . and we must keep praying for a CURE!

So on September 13th, we will walk for Jacob and for all the children who are fighting cancer. If you would like to join us and walk with our family in memory of Jacob - please let me know. We would love to have you! We have set up a fundraising page and would be so thankful if you could help us reach our fundraising goal. To make a donation, please visit . . .




And as a way to THANK YOU for donating, I am hosting my first GIVEAWAY! If you make a donation, please leave a comment here on this post and you will be entered to win a Halloween shirt made by Nancy! She can personalize the shirt with your child's name or any way you want and it will be shipped to you in plenty of time for Halloween. Most sizes are available.

The shirts can be made for BOYS . . .

Or GIRLS . . .


And here are just a few of the designs . . .


So to enter the Give-Away . . .

1. Make a donation to our fundraising page. It doesn't matter how much you give - even $1.00 helps!

2. Leave a comment here - letting me know that you made a donation and want to enter the contest.

3. I will draw the winner on September 15th at 8am, so all donations and comments need to be made before then.

4. I will announce the winner on my blog and then I will put you in touch with Nancy so she can personalize your shirt!
5. You do not have to enter the give-away if you make a donation. This is just a way to thank you!

Nancy and Polka Stripe has graciously offered to host a give-away once a month on my blog - so I'll let you know when the next one will be! It is very exciting for me to be able to share some of Nancy's things with all of you. :)

So in honor of Jacob on this Favorite Foto Friday, I will share some of my favorite Black & White pictures of him. I could stare at his sweet face all day. These pictures flood my heart with joy and pain, laughter and tears, and so many wonderfully bittersweet memories. Thank goodness I will see his sweet face again . . . some days I just can't wait for Heaven! What a joyous reunion I have to look forward to!

But this is why we are walking on September 13 . . .

For Jacob!






All pictures above were taken by
Alycia Alvarez Photography.



And a few more of my favorite Black & White pictures with Jacob . . .





To see more Favorite Foto Friday pictures, please visit

Ending with a scripture . . .

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Matthew 7:12
The Message


And ending with the faces and facts of childhood cancer . . .

For Jacob,

51 comments:

Kim & Dave said...

Hugs for you & yours!

Thanks for sharing all that's on your heart!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Still love those black and white photos. Jacob's smile could melt a thousand icebergs!

Hallie :)

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Thank you for posting all of these gorgeous photos of your sons!!! Melts my heart!!

I will have to come back and make a donation to a wonderful cause..

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend,Leslie

Megan said...

Breathtaking pictures!

Farmers wife said...

HI, I wish we could do more, every bit helps I guess!! We have our Books all ready to go for Jacobs Stocking in December!! God Bless!!

Love to Frog!!

Michelle, Dale & Sarah Juranek

Anonymous said...

Once again Heather, I leave your blog speechless, inspired, humbled, and ready to act! I'm off to donate. XOXOX Beautiful pictures of your absolutely GORGEOUS family! p.s. I'd LOVE to buy one of these shirts (or 3 or 4 or 5) if I knew a % would go TEAM AMAZING JACOB. Do you think she would be up for something like that? p.s.s. I just got the email that you commented on my blog while I was commenting on yours. ROFL GMTA!

Jennifer said...

I've missed you too my friend! Jacob has been heavy on my heart lately. Not sure why...maybe with Pediatric Cancer Awareness month coming up. Anyway - been thinking a lot about you guys! Did you get M's picture that we emailed to you?

Jennifer

Debbie said...

Bless your heart!! I can only imagine what you have gone through.

Debbie

Bobbi said...

Always happy to see a post from you!!

I wish you much luck on the walk. If I didn't live so far away you better believe I would be joining that team!! I will be with you in spirit.

What a sweet face he had.

Kim M. said...

Wow - Jacob's sweet smile will forever just melt my heart. I so look forward to the day I meet your amazing Jacob in Heaven. I have made a donation and I would be honored to win a personalized Nancy shirt!!!

Have a safe and FUN holiday weekend!

Love from our family to yours....
Kim Magnan (WI)

Sarah said...

Those are my ALL TIME FAVORITE Black and White photos ever! When we come to FL in 2009... we are going to go to see Alycia!

Awww... sweet Jacob!! I am definitely donating and would love to enter for one of Nancy's shirt designs!

Have missed you, my friend but glad your blogging break gave you some wonderful time with your kids before the start of the school year! Please give all a big kiss and hug for me!

Anonymous said...

Whatever the trial, look to the Lord. Praying!
Habakkuk 3:17-19 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places...
Prayer Bears

Reba said...

I have always loved those pictures of Jacob in black and white. His face just radiates joy...just radiates Him. He truly is and always will be "Amazing Jacob". Have a good weekend.
Reba

Elena said...

I love love love the shirts!!!

Heather, I also have another question for you. Could you please email me at elena_515@yahoo.com?

Thanks!
Elena Ashinhurst

Kyle said...

Heather and family,
I've been away for a while so I've been playing catch up with your blogs. Glad to see you've had such a wonderful summer. I think the blog about Jacob is beautiful. I miss his sweet smile and those eyes... It's always so good to sign on and see him smiling back.
Allie looks beautiful, as always, and the boys look so grown up in their back to school picture! I can't get over how big they are getting! I also loved the update about your forever family, how I remember walking through that journey with your family as you waited for her to come home. I cannot believe it's already been a year... time has surely flown by.
Your family is in my prayers!
Love and FROG, Kyle (from CT)

mom2four said...

Rhonda sent me your link to pray for Amazing Jacob back in 2005 (after we moved from Fishhwak to Texas) and we've been following your updates ever since! Your whole family inspires us everyday!
We are happy to make a donation and we'd love to enter the contest to win a t-shirt! They are so cute!

Violet said...

Loved the pictures of sweet Jacob and all the boys! I'm praying for all the families dealing with childhood cancer!

Anissa Mayhew said...

Heather, what a great idea. Would you be ok if I used the contest idea to promote donations on our site as well?

The pictures are a beautiful reminder of the reason why we all stand faithfully together to make sure Jacob's, and so many of our little friend's, memories are honored and cherished. For every child, we don't give up hope for a cure.

Love and prayers

Lakeville Vertical said...

This breaks my heart. Your little boy is absolutely beautiful. I loved those pics that you had made of him and his brothers. How precious they are.
My dad was diagnosed with Non hodgkins lymphoma in 2000. My aunt died from cervical cancer that year also. My grandpa has survived colon cancer. I've also lost several co workers and friends from this beast. My mom is a Radiation Nurse, My sister is a Radiation therapist, and my brother in law is a Radiation Oncologist. I know this disease all too well. I will be back to donate and support those little shining faces that struggle with this terrible disease.Thanks for sharing and letting us know how we can help. Blessings.

Dana said...

Heather,

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of Jacob. Thanks for trying to put into words your life experiences. More people do need to be aware of childhood cancer. I wish I could give you a hug. Good luck with the walk. I hope it all goes well. Keep fighting! FROG

beth reilly said...

Heather, Thank you for giving me the opportunity to donate in honor of sweet Jacob. I remember the first time I came across his website and saw his adorable little smile. He touched so many people in his short life. Your blog continues to touch and inspire people every day. God bless your family.

Mom Of 3 said...

Thanks again for sharing. I always love looking at pictures of Jacob. I hope school is going well for the kids.

Dena said...

I still remember so vividly the day I opened your website and read that Jacob had made his way to heaven. I cried, even though I'd never met him personally, I'd gotten to know him through your words, and was just sad. I'll always remember how hard he fought and your honest walk of faith through unimaginable grief.
Love seeing his face in your pictures today - what a sweet, gentle face, a blessing to so many.
Dena

jag said...

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing pictures and the story of Jacob. Seeing your boys together, having fun, makes me excited to see my boys play. I hope they have the love for one another that is so clear in your boys. Best wishes on your walk. I will be praying for a great success.

snekcip said...

Oh Heather what a wonderful idea! Whether I win or not, I fill like a WINNER ALREADY....in just knowing your wonderful family!!! I will definitely be donating!

azlori said...

Heather,
Always follow your blog...I love your attitude and perserverance! I was happy to make a donation in Jacob's honor. I would love to be entered in the t-shirt drawing. I'd love to wear one to school during Halloween and think of your family!
Best wishes for a great week!

Jennifer said...

Sweet memories. Hugs & prayers to you, Heather.

Rachel said...

Beautiful pictures of your handsome sons :)!

Carmen said...

Heather this is such a sweet, touching, loving tribute to Jacob. I love those black and white pictures. I hope the boys are happy to be back in school. Gracie loves it so much. Have a great week...
Carmen

Melissa said...

I did the donation online and will do it every year!! You all are such an inspiration to my family.
Melissa Holland TX

Anonymous said...

Heather I did sign you comment page, but do not see it. Not sure what I did wrong.
I did make an online donation for such a great cause. I do not see that on the donation page either. I would love to to entered into the drawing.

Could you please let me know yo get this message?

I have followed your Amazing Jacobs story for a long time. What an amazing little he was. you entire family is beautiful.

Love, Karen

jandkland said...

Breathtaking photos of your handsome boys.

I made a donation in Jacob's memory. You can be sure that you have my family's support as you strive to help Jacob's legacy keep other children from suffering.

--Kelley in Georgia

Bobbi said...

Yeah!! Wish I could have given more, but I bet you will pass your goal.

I would also like to donate books for the stocking at Christmas this year.

Tenille Rauls said...

It is such a small thing I feel I can do, make a donation. Even greater, I continue to pray for a cure for cancer. I can still remember being led to Jacob's site several years ago and spending a Sunday afternoon crying my eyes out and calling out to God for Jacob and your family. Those black and white pictures are one of the pictures I remember....May God continue to work through you and bless your day~ Tenille
http://tenille.blogplot.com
PS:
I can't remember....do you guys live in the Tampa area? My husband is interviewing Friday there for a job..we will be in the area for the first time! Any recommendations?

Laurie said...

Happy to have made a donation! What cute shirts, lucky person whoever wins :)

Jacob had a magic about him reaching miles and miles. Thanks for sharing him!

Laurie said...

I was glad to make a small donation in Jacob's honor. Please include me in the drawing for one of those precious shirts.

monicac2 said...

I made a donation, and am thrilled to help honor Jacob in a small way. He was an amazing little boy who changed my life for the better (although I never met him). Thank you for sharing him with us through your beautiful words (and pictures), Heather. God bless you, Monica

Cassie12 said...

Heather:
So happy to make a donation in memory of your Amazing Jacob.
Plase include me in the drawing for one of the darling shirts.
Thanks.
Susan

Amanda said...

Heather and family,
Each post gets better and better. Your words, your love, your compassion, it all shines through on every post you make! You are a VERY special person.

That is SO neat about the shirt give-away! I made my donation this morning and would be honored to have my name entered into the drawing! :) You are such a kind, loving, giving, caring person. Take care, and we continue to keep you in our prayers.
Amanda in CO.

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,
I have been following your family for what seems like forever. I just love all that you do and you are such an inspiration to all of us mothers. I have a brother that has been fighting for 4 years. Even though he was 24 when diagnosed it was what they thought to be a pediatric cancer so he has been treated with all of these young innocent sweet children none of whom deserve the misery they go through.
I have made a donation for this wonderful cause and would love to be entered into the drawing. I just love those shirts. They are adorable!
Enjoy those kiddos and love them up.
From one mom of 4 boys and hopefully someday a girl :) To another.
Thank you for all you do.
Rhonda Gardner
www.caringbridge.com/ne/ryan

Christina said...

I've always loved the B&W pictures of Jacob and your boys. Such a special moment captured in time! Hope all is going well with the start of school~ my trio starts Pre-K next week, where does the time go? Allie looks like she's grown taller in the beach pictures!
Thinking of you,
Christina

Vicki said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I love your posts and watching your kids grow. I just made a donation in memory of Jacob and looking forward to sending books and gift cards for "Jacob's Stocking" this Christmas. Good luck with your fundraiser, looks like your're on your way to donating a good chunk.

snekcip said...

Just dropping a line to let you know I'm tossing my name in the drawing after making my donation! Wishing you and your beautiful family a wonderful weekend!

Remembering and Honoring AMAZING JACOB ALWAYS!!!

Anonymous said...

I made a donation and left a comment yesterday but don't see it-not sure what happened?
I would love to be included in the drawing!

Laurie from GA said...

I am honored to donate to such a worthy cause. How wonderful for you to exceed your goal by soooo much! Your words and your family are truly an inspiration!

P.S. I'd love to be entered in the drawing! My daughter would be too cute in one of those shirts! :-)

nowincolorado said...

Thank you for raising money for pediatric cancer research. I made a donation today, please add my name to your contest. Thank you.

Rememebering Jacob always -
Brenda H.

Anonymous said...

Look to the Lord your only true refuge in every time of need! Praying!
Psalms 91:9-12 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Prayer Bears

Messy and Wonderful said...

Hey Heather,

I'm happy to contribute to such an awesome cause. Jacob's story has changed so many lives including mine.

How sweet of you to offer a giveaway!

Much love,
Laurie

Christina said...

Hi Heather! I already commented but wanted to comment again to let you know I am thinking of your family and made a small donation for the walk. I am humbled everytime I visit your blog, thank you so much for allowing us to see a piece of your lives and your beautiful children! The baby pictures are precious and that little Allie is too sweet for words! Hope all is well!
Hugs,
Christina

michele(nurse in ny) said...

I did make a small donation. Thank you for all you do in memory of Amazing Jacob. I did vote for your blog too! Good Luck!
Michele

Audra said...

Not sure if I "entered" my name to win the Halloween shirt or not, but I'd like to enter...:)
Glad to hear the walk went good, can't wait to read all about it and see the pics.
Love ya'll
Audra