Friday, March 20, 2009

Windy Days & Exercise

Hello friends,

I have been working on so many updates and just can't seem to find the time to finish any of them! :) So today will just be a little bit of this & that . . . a hodge-podge of ideas, pictures and what has been going on in our lives.

Last summer we "attempted" a photo shoot on the beach. You may remember that THOSE PICTURES didn't turn out too great because a HUGE thunderstorm was heading our way and the sky was ominous! Well, a couple of weekends ago - we tried again and this time with the whole family! What were we thinking??? The forecast called for a beautiful day - high around 70 so we got all 17 of us ready to go - which is no small feat and thought that we might be successful this time! However, we weren't counting on the WIND! Oh my, that wind was blowing so hard and some of the pictures were hilarious with our hair blowing everywhere. And none of the boys were happy because the sand was blowing - stinging their skin and getting into their eyes. Since we were all there, we decided to go ahead and take some pictures but most looked like this . . . ALL the women with crazy hair blowing into our eyes! :)




But once we got home and looked through everyone's pics, we were surprised that we actually got some really good shots - despite the blustery day. :) We did take these pictures ourselves - just can't afford a professional right now - and between everyone's camera we had well over 500 pictures. It was so hard to pick, but here are a few of my favorite . . .


DSC01384


CSC_0304

CSC_0341

CSC_0338

IMG_4458 - Copy (2)

IMG_4728

IMG_4658

IMG_4623

The best group shot we could get - I ♥ it!
My family,
My brothers' family,
My dad and his wife - Nancy,
My mom and her husband - George and her step-son, Josh.
DSC01443-Copy

I posted more pictures in my Facebook album - so I'm going to try to link to that! Let me know if you aren't able to view them.



***********************************


Onto a completely different topic . . .

EXERCISE! :)

Some of you may remember that I have a hate-affair with exercise! :) I have posted on the topic before and you can read that HERE. I just hate to exercise . . . yet it is something I know I should do. I was really disciplined for a while but definitely slacked off during the holidays and I have had a hard time getting back into the groove. And I really needed to find my way back because my groove is about 5 pounds heavier. ;)

But I get bored.
I don't have time.
It hurts.
It's not fun.

Excuses, excuses!
The bottom line is . . .
I HATE TO EXERCISE!

But then I heard about a new Exercise DVD . . .


The 30-Day Shred by Jillian from the Biggest Loser.
I was a little skeptical, but after hearing rave reviews I went to Target and bought it myself.

Can I just tell you that I LOVE this exercise DVD!
It is only 20 minutes long - but is the hardest work-out I have ever done. :) I *thought* I was in shape a little bit, but it was a humbling 20 minutes for me because I could hardly keep up. This workout kicks butt!
And the next day?
So sore I could hardly move! :)

And 5 days later?
I can already FEEL the results. :)

My favorite part?
Only 20 minutes!!!

Totally recommend this workout!

This DVD was just what I needed to get out of my exercise slump. I still hate to exercise, but am loving the way I feel.

Anybody else doing the 30-Day Shred?
What do you think?


Hopefully next week, I will have time to finish some of those other posts I've been working on. :) Until then, I hope you all have a beautiful weekend.

Ending with a scripture . . .

"The heavens tell about the glory of God. The skies show that his hands created them. Day after day they speak about it. Night after night they make it known."
Psalm 19:1-2

All Glory to God,

38 comments:

Colleen said...

The family photos turned out really well! I LOVE that family one of the six of you.

I've done the Jillian Michael's DVD. I love that it really works you and in only 20 minutes. Yeah, sometimes it hurts the next day or two, but overall it's a great work out. Glad you found something you like!

Acutescrubnurse said...

Love the pictures Heather, whoever took them did an awesome job.
I hate excercise too!! I will have to look into Jillians DVD, that would be nice to do something at home.
Hope you are enjoying the first day of spring. We are expecting snow on Sunday. :)
Take care, have a great weekend.
Rita

Acutescrubnurse said...

Love the pictures Heather, whoever took them did an awesome job.
I hate excercise too!! I will have to look into Jillians DVD, that would be nice to do something at home.
Hope you are enjoying the first day of spring. We are expecting snow on Sunday. :)
Take care, have a great weekend.
Rita

Jodee said...

Holy moly! I love, love, love these beach pictures (especially the one with just your family)! As always, the kids look adorable!

Jen said...

Hey you should set up an amazon account and link to the video and anytime someone buys the dvd you will make money!

Sue G said...

First, let me say that I am a first time visitor to your blog. It was recommended to me by a cyber friend, a woman I met through Caring Bridge sites and individual blogs. I was reading her latest update this morning and saw that she recommended you on her sidebar (I think that's what it was called...at least I know that's what it's called in journalistic circles).

You DO have a very strong voice and a gift for sharing the joy, the humor, and the grief that accompany a life fully lived.

Today, I am responding to your earlier post about grief. I found it to be so rich, so full of God's Truth, and so comforting to anyone who might be hurting, questioning, crying out in pain. I thank you for that gift on behalf of all the CB pages I follow, on behalf of my own journey with challenges and the triumphs that follow simply by living through the challenges. I thank you on behalf of every voice stilled too soon and everyone who loved them.

I will definitely be back to visit regularly.

God's Blessings,

Sue G
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sueguenther

Carmen said...

Heather I love the new pictures, all of them. I have so many favorites, I can't even decide which one I like best. I have wanted to get my family together for a photo shoot, everybody works different schedules and I can't even get them all to come at the same time on Christmas Eve.
I hate exercise to, I hate it so much. I'm gonna try it Jillian's exercise video, I've lost 20lbs and I need to loose about 50 more, I'll let you know if I can do it....

Justin and Jessica said...

I think your family pictures turned out great! Your family is so beautiful! What special memories!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Those pictures are adorable! I think they look great.

Phyllis said...

WOW...The pictures are incredible!! You have such a beautiful family. OK, I've really been trying to get back into exercising so I may have to try that workout video. I don't have a lot of time so it might be perfect for me.
Phyllis & Kristen

Anonymous said...

The pictures of your family are beautiful Heather, absolutely beautiful. I love them all but the ones of you and Allie, you and Donnie melt my heart. The love in your face is admiring, you can just see it in your smile! Tell me how did you get that sepia with a touch of color look, I LOVE that????

Kim & Dave said...

Great pictures of the family!!!!

Pam D said...

Oh, I LOVE those pictures! The one of Allie kissing you, the one of Donnie kissing you, the four kids looking out at the ocean (I could almost swear I see a fifth shadow there...), Allie and the starfish.. the whole family.. they are all great! Who needs a professional with you in the house? I really love the look on Allie's face in the closer up pic of her with the starfish; she just looks so grown up, and you can catch a glimpse of what she WILL look like in a few years. Beautiful.
I haven't tried The 30 Day Shred,and from the sound of it, I probably won't. Nice long walks work for me these day, but you go, girl! You look like your kids' big sister, not their mom, and I think that's awesome!
Have a wonderful, blessed weekend.. I always love hearing from you and get a HUGE smile on my face when you visit my blog!

Tracy said...

Been doing the Shred for 3wks now - love it!!! And love your beach pics!

The Foster Home said...

I will have to try out that video. I am so with you on despising the exercise.

The pictures are just beautiful, but with a gorgeous family like yours, that is to be expected. I look forward to reading your up coming posts.

bearie1 said...

Very nice pictures of a lovely family. I doubt a professional could have done any better. Elaine

The Allen Family said...

I'm like you when it comes to exercise so THANK YOU for the advice and the inspiration! I have FIOS and found the level 1 and 2 workouts for the Shred on there tonight. Just finished level 1 and am panting and sweating...but glad I did it! - Debbie

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos as always! A little wind couldn't do anything to mask the amazing faces!
Glad you're still keeping up with the video! Everyone just needs to find a kind of exercising that they can really get into!
Very comforting words! Praying!
Isaiah 65:24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Lynn said...

Girl! No professional could have done better!! These are BEE-UTI-FUL!!! I love them ALL!! Goodness, they're good! Isn't it funny how sometimes the photo shoot we don't expect much of, turns out to hold treasures! I've had that happen a few times myself.. shoots I thought would be good, turned out to disappoint and those I didn't expect to get anything good from, turned out to be some of my most treasured pictures! Funny how it works! These are all KEEPERS!

Have a great weekend!
Hugs
Lynn
(On the windy softball field today!)

Melody said...

Hi Heather! Those photos are AMAZING- I can't believe you guys took them yourselves! Your family definitely has a talent for photography! The one of just the six of you is breathtaking- the coloring (do you edit yours?), the background, and of course the beautiful faces. ;)

After seeing you post about the 30 Day Shred on Facebook, I rented it from Netflix. (Only because Target's website had it for $8.50, but it was $15 in the store!) Oh my gosh what a tough workout!! I felt sooo out of shape for those 20 minutes! I did the workout the day after I did a really harsh workout (P90X if you've ever heard of it) so I couldn't even do most of the arm exercises because I was so sore. ;) But I look forward to doing it more now that I've recovered!

Jenn said...

I just wanted to say how neat I think it is that your mom and dad and their spouses all get together for your get-togethers. Even family pictures! That is just awesome to me. When my mom and dad divorced, they can't even be in the same city together...That is just a breath of fresh air for me to see. Your pictures are beautiful.

Robyn said...

Beautiful pics!!

Anonymous said...

Love those pictures!! Precious!

Lynn said...

The Lord knows everything that's going on and is always there, working. I'm here praying!
Hebrews 4:13-16 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anna said...

I love those family pics Heather...just beautiful!

And I hate exercise too but my husband and I have started a new diet with walking for exercise only called Bodytrim and so far so good. I like it that I don't have to go to the gym or do strenuous exercise right now and thats ok.

Take care,
Anna

Stephanie said...

I can't believe that I'm going to say this but you don't need a professional photographer. You have a great eye. Your pictures are fantastic! Good job. Just get them printed through Mpix and you'll be set. I love all of them. I really like the one of you and Donnie and the ones of you and Allie and Donnie and Allie. They were all great though. Good job!

Also, thanks for the DVD recommendation. I need a good exercise routine. I hate to exercise myself.

Laura said...

Hi! I just wanted to check in, say hi, and let you know that I'm always thinking about all of you! Things have just been a little hectic with my husband coming home in three weeks! Three weeks, which is three months sooner than planned! We've known about it for quite a few months, but neither one of us wanted to get our hopes up in case it changed. Enough of rambling about me...

Loved the pictures when you put them on Facebook, but they are always so nice to see!

Have a lovely night!

Smile :)

Audra said...

Yeah!!!! I kind of feel responsible for your new found "love" for this workout :) Ha Ha! I am glad to read that you are liking it at least, it was definately the boost I needed to get back into working out as well...and I always tell myself when I don't feel like doing it or I try to make excuses, it is Only 20 minutes, I can get through that, right!? Sure you can...:)

I do Love all the pictures you have of your family...I know they are such a treasure to you, and know how bittersweet it is that Jacob is absent from them, but we know he is with you in Spirit always, People looking in from the outside can See that you all have a special "something" about you, and I believe/know that it is God and Jacob. Your family is very special and has been a witness to so many people. I just Love all of you....

I'm rambling, I'm tired, we had a very packed weekend, celebrating Addi's birthday and Ava's first soccer game, all the family at our house for the weekend, it was so much fun and such BEAUTIFUL weather!
have a Great week.
Much Love,
Audra

Anonymous said...

Who needs a professional when you have photo shop with grat options and with 500 to choose from....the pics are AMAZING!! You have such a beatutful family! I am going to go check out the DVD later today..my gym memebership is ending and I don't think I am going to renew it! thanks for the tip!
XO LYNS

Courtney said...

beautiful photos!!! I love beach shots!

I think I may have to check out that DVD!

The Moore's said...

Heather,

I love the pics..... The one of your family is beautiful. I also loved the one of you and Donnie that you posted on his birthday post. The kids are growing up so fast. I can really see how Kyle is changing.... That Allie girl is something else....You truly can see her personality through her pictures. Hope you have a blessed week.....

Christy Moore

Tammy said...

Beautiful pictures! Love all of them. Now let me get my hands on that dvd, I need some help in the exercise dept too! I HATE TO EXERCISE! Hugs from Fort Worth!

Amy K said...

As a lurker of first Caringbridge and now this blog, I finally had to leave a comment.
First of all, thank you for sharing your precious Jacob and your whole family.
You have been a true inspiration by witnessing your faith to all of us readers!
Finally, I am so glad that you posted and recommended the 30-Day Shred. I went out and bought it. It is wonderful...thanks for the tip!
May God continue to bless you, and bless us through your writing!

Amber said...

Beautiful familY! I went and got the dvd and my husband and I did it Tuesday nite and we are still sore today.. She doesn't stop for anything. I couldn't keep up with her.And when it came to the floor exercises, once i was on the floor I couldn't get up.. It was pretty funny to watch me.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures turned out GREAT!!! I love the one of the 6 of you.. And you and Donny are just the cutest ever.

Thanks for the exercise DVD tip. I'll have to give it a try. Cause you sure won't see me with Jillian IRL. My skin isn't thick enough to have her yelling at me :)

Jenelle said...

I don't think you guys needed to hire a professional photographer! These photographs are awesome! Your family is so beautiful. :)

I've considered buying this DVD before but wanted to know what other people thought of it. I think I'll go buy it now and see what it's like. You've peaked my curiousity. :)

~Niki~ said...

You have a beautiful family xoxo
niki

Lisa & Gerald said...

Awww beautiful photo's